Shell Flagged Out to I.o.M.

loylobby
2nd September 2008, 08:02
Can anyone please tell me what year STUK flagged out to the Isle of Man. Thanks.

mikeg
2nd September 2008, 10:12
Believe it was 1987, as at that time I took the redundancy payment option offered before STUK reflagged to IOM. Luckily it came at just the right time for me.

Mike

calvin
5th September 2008, 19:49
seems correct mikeg as when got in touch with london offices to ask about my shell service was told to get in touch with new offices in isle of man as all shipping was transfer over to isle of man ps did you bring out the lanistes or litiopa from chiba shipyards as i was saloon steward on lanistes and second steward on litiopa to good sayonara partys buy builders.

mikeg
5th September 2008, 20:13
seems correct mikeg as when got in touch with london offices to ask about my shell service was told to get in touch with new offices in isle of man as all shipping was transfer over to isle of man ps did you bring out the lanistes or litiopa from chiba shipyards as i was saloon steward on lanistes and second steward on litiopa to good sayonara partys buy builders.

Hi again, yes I remember you now on the Litiopa.
I've since looked through the paperwork and confirmed that date as correct. Yes took the Litiopa out from Chiba, the yard looked after us very well all through but especially at the christening & sayonara parties..
(Pint) (Pint) couldn't find one for Saki (Jester) I've got some pics in the gallery of Litiopa.

calvin
12th September 2008, 17:21
great to hear hope you fit and well sake still goes down well but not the large ones from japan at least can now get ashi beer cant find any sapparro though.

R781128
20th September 2008, 17:42
4th June 1987 was my last (handwritten) payslip from STUK before we became M.P.S.(IOM)

B Rgds

loylobby
25th September 2008, 07:39
Thanks for all those replies. Was looking at pensions and that sort of stuff but couldn't find a date for the flag out and end of my STUK employment.

I remember how at the time there were other companies flagging out but Shell were denying any intention of doing this; in fact we had a new old man join who had just been at a Shell centre "love in" with the top brass and he was told categorically Shell will not flag out.

Then Lo and behold, a super long telex arrived in the middle of the night (a nosey 2/0 happen to see it while carrying out rounds????, through radio room at 0400) announcing the flag out.

mikeg
25th September 2008, 16:45
I've asked Kris as moderator to ask if 'Shell' can be included as a sub-forum of 'Shipping Lines' rather than us ex Shell folk needing to use the 'Other companies/ships' sub-forum.
All those in agreement yell Yea

stevecz
25th September 2008, 17:31
Yep, Count me in.
Steve Czerwionka

KEITH SEVILLE
25th September 2008, 18:05
Definite yes.
About time we gave Shell a special place amongst the shipping lines.

Keith

calvin
26th September 2008, 18:44
agree hole heartedly

loylobby
27th September 2008, 10:24
Oh Yes Please, often wondered why there wasn't one already.

mikeg
30th September 2008, 11:40
Hi Steve, Keith, Calvin and Loylobby,

We now have Shell in the shipping lines. Many thanks to Andy and Kris who made it so.

(Applause)

chadburn
30th September 2008, 11:49
Was Shell the Company that phoned it's Skippers and Chief's and told them not to come back after their leave period was over?

loylobby
30th September 2008, 15:27
My thanks to Andy and Chris for giving us Shell lot a proper home at last.

Was Shell the Company that phoned it's Skippers and Chief's and told them not to come back after their leave period was over?

Didn't hear that. The whole flagging out, redundancy etc thing was very contrived.
I got an official letter informing me of the flagging out and that my STUK contract would be ended and inviting me to Shell Centre to discuss my redundancy terms which was supposed to be calculated from a time served/salary formula.
I think I ended up signing the acceptance of my redundancy terms and signing up with new SMPS on the same day. The loss of the Shell pension and related benefits was the biggest sickener; never mind should get the deferred pension soon..whoooopeee.

chadburn
30th September 2008, 18:51
loylobby, thanks for the info above, hopefully you have a good Accountant to make sure the calculations are correct.

ChasD
18th October 2008, 13:23
...Then Lo and behold, a super long telex arrived in the middle of the night (a nosey 2/0 happen to see it while carrying out rounds????, through radio room at 0400) announcing the flag out.

Attached are extracts from that telex, ( Dated April 1986 ) it is a bit long so I've cut out a lot, but it makes good reading now under the present climate. I may be in breach of confidentiality rules, but we're pretty close to the thirty year rule - and anyway I plead insanity ! ( or should that be insanitary ? ! - Nurse ? ! )

loylobby
19th October 2008, 09:12
Attached are extracts from that telex, ( Dated April 1986 )

Yep that's one of the very long epistles from Rendle about the possibility of flagging out.
At the time nobody guessed it would be the I.O.M. but thought more of Liberia and such places.

Billieboy
30th May 2009, 20:22
I remember this (the switch to IoM), well, I attended a tanker(VLCC) at MOT Maasvlakte in the late '80s, I took my 12y-o son with me, I think it was a weekend. Anyway, we were in the Engine control room which was fairly well populated, I was chatting to the Super, about something or other when my son said, "Hey Dad, this boat was built by the same gang that built the, "Titanic"!" "Yes George, we all know that", I said. "You know Mr. Rendel the Managing Director Bill,?" The Super said. "That's a smart lad you have there Bill", Mr. Rendel said! I nearly fell through the floor! The Super and I had more than a few on that one, in the years after.

If I remember correctly the first Boss of SMPS (IoM) was John McAallion ex GOD at STM 13.

andyp1
1st June 2009, 08:55
Loylobby,

At least you were invited to Shell Centre to "discuss your future"!
We were "visited" by the Eng. Cadet Training Officer @ College and told we were finished as soon as Phase III was completed - 3 weeks before the Phase III final exams !!

Mick Spear
24th August 2009, 04:09
Shell indeed changed flag in 87. However, all their contract employees were given a severence package of 1 years salary plus a months salary for every year served, very generous indeed! In addtion offered a new job under IOM flag the only difference was they paid their own tax. NI and all other cintributions were taken out of salary, that wasn't a bad deal either.
At that time, Shell also agreed to still use the shipping federation when they needed additional labour. I know becaue i was a non-contract employee at the time. A few years later they began to exchange british ratings with foreign ones o the better ships and steadily did the same with Officers thereafter, except Captain and Chief.

Mick S

geoffakelly
28th February 2010, 19:11
DID anyone like me get a tax investigation in later years due to working out of the iom...i was given a 20k bill...i never had 20 to my name.. they.never came back and asked for it..

Ginando
25th October 2013, 12:37
1987, I remember it well. Got an invite to go to Shell centre and was interviewed by a Mr Philpott. I was basically promised a job as 3/E next trip and then he showed me the new proposed contract. I told him to roll it into a thin tube, lightly oil it and shove it up his a..e.

knighta
21st January 2014, 03:42
Loylobby,

At least you were invited to Shell Centre to "discuss your future"!
We were "visited" by the Eng. Cadet Training Officer @ College and told we were finished as soon as Phase III was completed - 3 weeks before the Phase III final exams !!

To lay-off an Apprentice or Cadet before their training is completed is a massive betrayal of a sacred trust. Alan Knight

EMJAYESS
22nd January 2014, 15:09
I've asked Kris as moderator to ask if 'Shell' can be included as a sub-forum of 'Shipping Lines' rather than us ex Shell folk needing to use the 'Other companies/ships' sub-forum.
All those in agreement yell Yea

YEA YEA YEA

davidrwarwick
24th January 2014, 10:02
Good old Shell, I joined them as first trip fiver in Feb '75 , a four month trip, two months leave and a two month trip and made redundant in Oct '75, paid up until end of contract, but still got invited down to Shell Centre to be told I was being finished up, Shell made a lot of their junior officers redundant in 1975 as they where sorting out their fleet, i.e. scrapping a lot of their "H" and "A" class vessels. The writing was on the wall then flagging out and foreign crews on their way.

Dave