Wooden war ships

DURANGO
2nd September 2008, 13:23
I am a builder of ships models mainly clipper ships and 4 masted barques in bottles but i do venture into ships of the Nelson era , i have had a lot of help from Stein with regards to the clipper ship era of which he is very knowledgeable , i dont like to keep putting on him for imformation but at this time i am in the process of building two ships fighting in a Jack Daniels bottle my question is from what i see in the books that i have on the subject of wooden war ships some have white lines over the side with the gun port doors set into then and others have buff ,again with the gun ports set into them such as the Victory has ,i have even seen some with light green lines could anyone please explain this to me and was it just that different countrys used different coulour schemes over the side many thanks for any help best wishes Durango .

stein
2nd September 2008, 13:48
Not my specialty, but I believe the white came after the buff in history, and that the buff was in reality Stockholm tar. Leafing through a couple of books with painted naval battles, I note a great variety as regards the placement of the black and the buff, but any green I've not come across: it migh be the painting has discoloured, or that some printers have done a bad job?
Regards, Stein.

AncientBrit
2nd September 2008, 15:00
Not an expert of things Napoleonic, but an avid reader ot Alexander Kents, "Bolitho" series.
I seem to recall that the buff was a dockyard issue, but if the Captain of the vessel was from "monied" stock, he would oft times pay for his own personal colour and this extended to the clothing of the captains gig.
I should imagine an e-mail to the RN Museum at Portsmouth Dockyard would provide the definitive answer.
http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/research_info.htm
Good luck
AB

DURANGO
2nd September 2008, 17:59
Not an expert of things Napoleonic, but an avid reader ot Alexander Kents, "Bolitho" series.
I seem to recall that the buff was a dockyard issue, but if the Captain of the vessel was from "monied" stock, he would oft times pay for his own personal colour and this extended to the clothing of the captains gig.
I should imagine an e-mail to the RN Museum at Portsmouth Dockyard would provide the definitive answer.
http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/research_info.htm
Good luck
AB Well there you go that didn,t take long i got to say thanks again Stein and A.B. , i will email the RN museum at Portsmouth as soon as i have finished this as i said Stein i have finished Ariel & Taeping racing homeward from Foochow but i still cant put the photo on the site but again i found it easy to put it on my profile , i have built ships engaged in battle in the past but i have to say the imformation that i have been able to obtain on this site with regards to those important little details has been second to none best wishes to everyone Durango .