Glenfalloch

Fairfield
3rd July 2004, 21:17
Sister to GLENOGLE and launched today 3rd July 1962 from the Fairfield yard in Glasgow.
This shot was taken by the late Matt Scott and shows her approaching the Forth Bridges in 1976 outbound from Grangemouth.
The other shot was taken by a friend in Shanghai in 1985 and shows her as the Chinese QING HE CHENG.She appears little altered.Her subsequent fate is not really known but she was supposed to have still been in existence in the mid 1990s and,like GLENOGLE was subject of an ambitious preservation scheme .Oh that it could have succeeded................

tanker
4th July 2004, 13:24
Sister to GLENOGLE and launched today 3rd July 1962 from the Fairfield yard in Glasgow.
This shot was taken by the late Matt Scott and shows her approaching the Forth Bridges in 1976 outbound from Grangemouth.
The other shot was taken by a friend in Shanghai in 1985 and shows her as the Chinese QING HE CHENG.She appears little altered.Her subsequent fate is not really known but she was supposed to have still been in existence in the mid 1990s and,like GLENOGLE was subject of an ambitious preservation scheme .Oh that it could have succeeded................

Hi Fairfield
good photo of QING HE CHENG at Shanghai, indreed when i have see YANG
CHENG at Genoa were 1984 COSCO had regulary route GENOA- SHANGHAI.

Fairfield
4th July 2004, 20:37
Hi Fairfield
good photo of QING HE CHENG at Shanghai, indreed when i have see YANG
CHENG at Genoa were 1984 COSCO had regulary route GENOA- SHANGHAI.

Glad you liked the shots.Interested to hear they went to Genoa.Thought it was just Shanghai to Hong Kong.

R651400
2nd July 2005, 19:01
Put this superb shot in the gallery to draw attention to our continuing hunt for this vessel. Please visit the following:-

http://www.lairig.freeserve.co.uk/glenline/glenfalloch/glenfalloch.htm

Doug Rogers
3rd July 2005, 00:36
It is superb isnt it, nice vessels!!

R651400
3rd July 2005, 09:03
Thanks Doug. I think this particular shot elevates the old lady to super-status.
There were many bonny boats around at this time eg Blue Star and Port Line to name but a few.
What a pity we may be too late to fulfill our wishes and bring Glenfalloch back to her home port as an everlasting monument to the MN.
I believe Germany and Italy are well advanced in their efforts on similar projects.
Southampton's attempts to bring back Windsor Castle have failed but there is a possible move afoot to buy QE2, if and when she pays off.
Time is running out for the Glenfalloch era. I believe a 49/50's Port Melbourne class is still in commission as a Med cruise ship as is ex Empress of Britain in a different role.
Apparently after a recent lay up, the Port liner's Doxford's kicked into action immediately, running so quietly, engine room staff converse normally. Think she could be ex Port Auckland,
We don't make 'em like that any more..

Dave Edge
3rd July 2005, 09:44
"Port Melbourne" and "Port Sydney" are, as far as I know, both still afloat as "Princess Danae" and "Ocean Monarch" respectively but changed beyond recognition. Early this year one of them was sent to aid victims of the tsunami.

Doug Rogers
3rd July 2005, 10:44
Thanks Doug. I think this particular shot elevates the old lady to super-status.
There were many bonny boats around at this time eg Blue Star and Port Line to name but a few.
What a pity we may be too late to fulfill our wishes and bring Glenfalloch back to her home port as an everlasting monument to the MN.
I believe Germany and Italy are well advanced in their efforts to do the same.
Southampton's attempts to bring back Windsor Castle have failed but there is a possible move afoot to buy QE2, if and when she pays off.
Time is running out for the Glenfalloch era. I believe a 49/50's Port Melbourne class is still in commission as a Med cruise ship as is ex Empress of Britain in a different role.
Apparently after a recent lay up, the Port liner's Doxford's kicked into action immediately, running so quietly, engine room staff converse normally. Think she could be ex Port Auckland,
We don't make 'em like that any more..

No we dont make em like that any more, in fact we dont make many of them any more!!. Would be wonderful to be able to preserve so much more, but of course the finances are always the problem!!, still there are a few wins out there as some of the vessels seen in the last week during the Trafalgar celebrations would signify.

R651400
3rd July 2005, 11:13
Thanks Dave, Think I saw the Port boat article in Ships Monthly which I onpass to NZ who then pass it to Oz so I have only memory to draw on. She was indeed unrecognisable but still going strong.

R651400
3rd July 2005, 13:10
Hi Fairfield,
Oh for the days on the Shieldhall tram, trundling past the yard with a full order book, on my way to KG Five.
Any chance of full format Glenfalloch QHC copies for my collection?
You're welcome to a copy of my b&w Glenfalloch same section. Regds.

Fairfield
4th July 2005, 05:26
Will do but I/m asking a certain gent in Dundee make it more presentable first..........

R651400
4th July 2005, 05:50
Hi Paul, If it is Ron M you referring to, he can pass direct to me as he has my email address. Can I have yours via SN PM??