Hello !

colin.i2
2nd September 2008, 23:42
Hello All ! Came across this site when doing a Google search and found out some reminiscing about my father and one of my uncles. They were both engineers with the Elders and Fyffes Line - Frank Inverarity (my father) and Pat Inverarity. My dad latterly sailed with Lyles to the Far East. Does anyone have any memories (good or bad) they would like to share. I have some old photos of ships I can post and letters with details of voyages.
First up is this one. I can't quite make out the name even zooming in but I think it is the Manistee ? Can anyone confirm this and tell me anything about it ? Am I correct in assuming the port is probably Newport with the transporter Bridge ?

Thanks !

Colin Inverarity
Edinburgh

gdynia
3rd September 2008, 08:57
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Peter4447
3rd September 2008, 09:51
Welcome aboard Colin
Peter4447(Thumb)

A.J.McMahon
7th September 2008, 19:56
Hi Colin,Welcome! Sailed with your dad on the Matina, I was there for a couple of years various Chiefs, I only did the one trip with Frank,I think it was near the end of my time on the Matina,I believe it was the trip we were short handed and had feed water problems, if he is still about give him my regards.Think i sailed with Pat on either the Camito or Reventazon, he was sailing as a supernumerary,for endorsment of ticket. That is, the Manitee, it looks like the transporter bridge at Newport. Was she scrapped at Cashsmores? However I would not put my life on it, because when the M5 was constructed across the river Avon at Avonmouth there was for a time some form of temporary Construction which I viewed from my aunt's house at Beachley Walk Shirehampton,we are going back nearly 50 yrs.Best Regards AJM.

benjidog
7th September 2008, 20:43
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

stan mayes
7th September 2008, 21:12
It is Manistee - I made a 6 weeks trip to Jamaican ports in November - December 1948.
Stan

Gulpers
7th September 2008, 21:23
Colin,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

It's good to see that you are already getting some excellent feedback on your enquiry. (Applause)

Bill Lewis
3rd November 2008, 10:41
Hi Colin, My first trip to sea as a Junior Engineer was on the Chicanoa August 1959 your father was Chief Engineer, he gave me a warm welcome and I remember having a drink with him and one or two passengers as we sailed out of Garston. We were listening to reports of the General Election as they were coming in. That was my only trip with Frank but I made several trips with Pat (on various ships) I had avery good relationship with him, in fact, I made my last trip to sea with him as Second Engineer on the Changuinola November 1965. Pat tried very hard to get me to change my mind about giving up the sea, but I did anyway all for the love of a woman !! It worked out OK we have been together ever since. It was a pleasure to have known and sailed with both Frank and Pat, I still remember them as being in their sixties but that was a long time ago, I hope they both had a happy and healthy retirement.
Bill.

bert thompson
3rd November 2008, 10:47
Welcome Colin to this great site. See that you are getting much news already
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
3rd November 2008, 15:06
How nice to hear of a C/E welcoming a junior on board, a pleasure I never had.
Details of SS Manistee as follows.
(Ex Erin 1947) 5824 tons Built 1932 by Workman Clarke Belfast.
415.0 x 54.7 x 30.4.
4 cyl steam engine and electric drive from a LP turbine.
5 single ended boilers @ 260psi built by ship builders.
2 decks 3rd & 4th decks in holds. Cruiser stern. DF , ESD, Radar
Code flags GRXC. Registered London. British flag.
Owned by Elders & Fyffe Ltd.

Bill Lewis
4th November 2008, 03:15
It was a warm welcome and it was the first time that I had been called Mister for two years, I had just finished national service.

Scottseng
7th November 2008, 00:54
Hi Colin
I never had the pleasure of sailing with your dad, as I believe he was an excellent C/E to be with. I did sail with your uncle twice on the Changuinola and one of the trips was also with the afore member Bill Lewis. Small world.