Re-installing Windows problems

Shipbuilder
5th September 2008, 07:14
Following months of computer problems following unauthorised acces to computer via a "comment" on my website, I decided (yesterday) reluctantly to uninstall Windows XP & put it back again.
Backed up all my files on external hard drive, so nothing would be lost.

Uninstalled OK.

Part way through install, it stopped and said

"The file VIAAGP1.SYS VIA AGP filter driver disk is needed. Home edition pack 1 CD needed"

The comuter came with the Windows Home Edition XP disk & that is what I used to re-install. Is pack 1 a separate disk? I have definately never had more than one Windows XP disk!

Any ideas on this mess. I let it carry on installing without it & although it works "after a fashion" it is full of errors & as slow as ever - it is now worse than before.

Bob

KenAtkins
5th September 2008, 07:39
Morning Shipbuilder, Ref your computer problem, it sounds like that you only have a reinstall disk which should have taken it back to the manufactures setup, that is before you put any other programs on. I assume that you formatted the hard disk?? if so you have wiped out everything that is need to do a reinstallation. The program it is asking for(AGP) is the one which operates the graphics card on your computer..As for running slow that can be a good number of things...It might be best contacting the firm from which you bought the computer and see if they can supply you with a full version of Win XP..

Regards
Ken Atkins

Shipbuilder
5th September 2008, 08:34
Morning Ken,
Thanks for reply. I did not format the hard disk, just uninstalled Windows XP & then tried to put it back again. The firm who made it are local, so I will call in this morning & see what they have to say about it. I can still use it, with difficulty, at the moment, so will probably have to take it in on Monday.
Thanks for help.
Bob