Lord Kelvin Crew list 1978

Corky
5th September 2008, 23:16
My first trip as 2nd R/O (a Sparklet!) - I think I can remember most of the crew list.
Capt Rod Banton
C/O Mick Dale
2/O Steve Gudgeon
3/OTony Wood
R/O John Hetherington
C/E "Jumping Jack" Tozer
2/E Geoff Broomhead
3/E Ian Willcock
4/E Chris Campbell
5/E John Pinkham
J/E Andy Honeyset
Elect Carl Stuckless
C/Stwd Bill Murdoch
Decadet Guy Webster
Decadet Annie Roberts
Decadet Hywel Pugh

I suppose it being my first trip, the names have stuck in my mind, I can't remember subsequent crew lists..

I remember there being a shortage of accomodation - I spent the first few weeks living in the hospital. Big change when I next sailed on the Kelvin - 10 years later, no cadets, no Chief Steward or Junior/5th Engineers - lots of spare cabins.

non descript
5th September 2008, 23:19
Well done, a great list there; the only names I remember are Capt Rod Banton, C/O Mick Dale and C/E "Jumping Jack" Tozer. (Thumb)

NINJA
6th September 2008, 08:13
Sailed with Jumpimg Jack on the Orotava and Cavendish, a good Chief to sail with. Reminds me of a certain saying " if you sleep 12 hours a day, a 6 month trip only lasts 3 months".

non descript
6th September 2008, 08:24
Sailed with Jumpimg Jack on the Orotava and Cavendish, a good Chief to sail with. Reminds me of a certain saying " if you sleep 12 hours a day, a 6 month trip only lasts 3 months".

Yes............ I had quite forgotten that aspect of his approach to life (Jester)

Corky
6th September 2008, 12:28
Jack Tozer was a kindly gentleman, but a terrible "twiddler." On more than one occasion whilst I was doing R/T calls for him through Portishead, he would absent mindly fiddle with the main tuning dial, losing the link. In the end I told him to twiddle a knob on the reserve receiver (not the receiver that the call was going through) so that the call could go through ok.:) :)

NINJA
6th September 2008, 18:42
Even when the Superintendent came aboard (Mr Merrill) it did not stop "Jumping Jack" taking his early nap.

Corky
18th September 2008, 17:44
Does nobody remember Bill Murdoch - ex RSM Black Watch, and a top bloke?

K urgess
18th September 2008, 18:20
Yes I remember Bill Murdoch very well.
I have a strong link to him while on the Cerinthus.
Here is something I wrote about him off the cuff a while back.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showpost.php?p=102309&postcount=56

Cheers
Kris

non descript
18th September 2008, 19:40
Fubar,
Off the cuff maybe, but an excellent link with the past............... (EEK)

It's the old ones that are the best (Jester)

NigelF
26th March 2009, 00:18
Blimey ..............a year later I must have been following in your shoes as I joined the Lord Kelvin as a 2nd R/O before taking over as 1st R/O once I'd got my sea time in ................John Hetherington was my boss for those couple of months.

Found an old sea staff news from 1980 and it lists the crew as :-

Capt - J Jubb
1st Off - Mark Andrews
2nd OFF - Jim Shaw
3rd Off - Anthony Edwards
R/o - J Hethrington and myself as 2nd R/o, Nigel Freer
Chief Eng : J. Richardson
2nd Eng Dave Senior
3rd Eng Fred Kerr
4th Eng J Newman
Junior Engs Gareth Jones & J Meggit
Leccy - R Barratt
Catering Off P. James

Can recall I joined the ship in Hamburg and then went through the Kiel Canal upto Ventspils before going across to Pasacagoula in US. I think then we ended up going bcakwards and forwards between northern Russia and the Gulf of Mexico before eventually paying off in Finland in Feb 80 - Ulskipunki or something like that. Did a further trip on the Rounton Grange and then the CYS Mariner where I decided to call it a day and came ashore !!(K)

Guy41
25th May 2009, 20:35
My first trip as 2nd R/O (a Sparklet!) - I think I can remember most of the crew list.
Capt Rod Banton
C/O Mick Dale
2/O Steve Gudgeon
3/OTony Wood
R/O John Hetherington
C/E "Jumping Jack" Tozer
2/E Geoff Broomhead
3/E Ian Willcock
4/E Chris Campbell
5/E John Pinkham
J/E Andy Honeyset
Elect Carl Stuckless
C/Stwd Bill Murdoch
Decadet Guy Webster
Decadet Annie Roberts
Decadet Hywel Pugh

I suppose it being my first trip, the names have stuck in my mind, I can't remember subsequent crew lists..

I remember there being a shortage of accomodation - I spent the first few weeks living in the hospital. Big change when I next sailed on the Kelvin - 10 years later, no cadets, no Chief Steward or Junior/5th Engineers - lots of spare cabins.

Hi Paul and everyone,

Over 30 years ago now.. but I remember most of the names mentioned here. As I remember most of us were in the bar one Sunday lunch time when we were gently rammed by the Nedlloyd Schee in the Bitter Lakes anchorage in Suez. a lot of commotion but just a 4" dent in the starboard sheer strake near the compressor room as I recall.

Other memories of that trip (The ship was about 6 months out of the builders yard in Carrera at the time) were the extensive but dwindling reserves of Chianti wine that came with the vessel from the builders, this helped offset the taste of the meat onboard that was tainted by the paint used in the cold stores- you could "taste the fridges" for at least 9 months after the ship was delivered.

Another whinge was regarding the thin plastic italian toilet seats that cracked under the weight of the average Brit and used to make the eyes water as they pinched the parts that other beers dont reach.. ouch! (appologies for lowering the tone but an important cultural obsrevation.. or maybe it was just a money saving exercise- needless to say the seats were all soon replaced)

Didn't one of the junior engineers break an arm whislt practicing something called a "flying dead ant" one night in the bar? Maybe that was another trip on the Kelvin.

Oh finally, I remember being told by the mate one day to paint "Lord Kelvin's Lord Kelvin's Balls" ...later finding out these were the iron spheres mounted either side of the magnetic compass.

All the best

Guy

noel robson
25th May 2009, 20:44
John Hethrington works in the same place as me for the last 15 or so years

jahro
7th June 2009, 09:30
Hi Corky and other Houlder's Headbangers.

I sailed on the LK three times, the first being just before Corky joined.
This is a list of crewmembers while I was there from July to December 1978:

Augusta (Sicily), Arzew, Felixstowe, Zeebrugge, Sluiskill, Landskrona, Rotterdam (anch.), Donges, Gibraltar (anch.), Flotta, Donges, Ras Tanura, Izmit, Ras Tanura, Gijon

Master: John Jubb, Rod Banton
C/O: Mick Dale, Ian Hardie
2/O: Joe Wejman, Steve Gudgeon
3/O: Tony Edwards
Dcadets: Kevin Alcock, Bob Dinsdale, Guy Webster, Hywel Pugh
R/O: Frank Ralph, myself, Chris Green
2R/O: Paul Corkin
PCO: Johnnie Johnson, Bill Murdoch
C/E: Jack Tozer, Joe Richardson
2/E: Roger Olney, Brian Chappell, Jeff Broomhead
3/E: Chris Lawrence, Mick Murphy, Ian Willcock
4/E: Tim Stenner, Andrew Honeysett (prom from 5/E)
5/E: Andrew Honeysett, Mick Scarghill, Ian Bassett
J/E: Matt Eyre, Dave Smith, John Pinkham
Ecadets: Steve Cooper, Billy Green
Elect: Ron Green, Carl Stuckless

significant memories of that trip were the contaminated food (See Guys message) and a cargo loaded at Arzew which had a large ethane content.
This occasionally took tank temperatures down to -52C and took a while to get rid of. I seem to remember that, after a shore compressor was damaged at Felixstow by this cargo, we tramped around Northern Europe mixing it with good stuff so we could eventually get rid of it. I don't think the Mate's comment of "good cold stuff" went down well with the Old Man!

Cheers

jahro
7th June 2009, 09:48
Hi Nigel,

I seem to remember you joined while the ship was in Hamburg drydock in July 1980. We did indeed cross the pond to the USA narrowly missing hurricane "George" on the way across. Before going to Pascagoula the LK called at Tampa, then Texas City where a group of us, including 2/E Dave Senior and his wife and two boys, went up to visit the Johnson Space Center and Mission Control. I remember it was a bl**dy hot day.

I did a trip on the Rounton Grange and who should relieve me but a certain Nigel Freer. My trip on the Rounton was longgggg and I remember we spent over six weeks at anchor off Newcastle NSW because of an industrial strike.
The water for the showers was only turned on for around 5-minutes each evening so if a heavy rain cloud passed over the ship it was out on deck with a bar of soap and some shampoo!

Best regards
John

Guy41
12th June 2009, 20:01
Hello John,

nice to see you here on this site!

I remember I joined the Kelvin (1978) in Felixstowe and stayed until Gijon. I can still taste the fridges!

Thats certainly a fine list of names from your crew list . Do you keep in touch with any of them? So far in the past month,, since I first discovered SN I've made contact with 4 ex colleagues from the Gas fleet and revived so many memories.

If I remember correctly I last sailed with you on the Joule or the Max in 1984? Or it might have been Dave Hobson?

Anyway Welcome and all the best

Guy

George Simpson
12th June 2009, 20:05
Hi guy 4/E: Tim Stenner ended up working on the Houlder Rigs then transferred to Stena Drilling when Stena bought Houlders out.

Guy41
12th June 2009, 20:34
Thanks George,

The closest I ever got to Houlder Offshore was doing a survey of some seafastenings on the Orelia in Aberdeen in about 2001 when working as a warranty surveyor for LOC.

It wasnt Houlders then Maybe Coflexip or technip?

Cheers Guy

George Simpson
12th June 2009, 20:39
Coflexip then with Northern Marine Management crewing the vessel. I did a couple of trips on here a good DSV but in my opinion not a patch on the Uncle John.

Heres a link to a photo of the Orelia:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/181270/ppuser/37197

jahro
19th June 2009, 06:44
Hi Guy,

yes, long time no see. I only joined SN when a member - Noel Robson - emailed me to say that he had seen my name on a crewlist from the LK ( post #1 in this thread by Corky). I had seen SN mentioned on the back cover of "Ships Monthly" but never did anything about joining but I'm glad I did - just browsing the site brought back many memories and to find a Houlder Brothers section. I always think of myself as a Houlder's/Fiery Kipper man rather than Furness-Withy but did (mostly) enjoy my final five years going between "British Steel" and "Andes". Must try and get a Fiery Kipper/Maltese Cross avatar from somewhere.

That trip on LK certainly was memorable. Any mention of "fridgy" food caused the poor Cook to throw a wobbler. I remember one day that Cadet Bob Dinsdale came up to me and told me that the Cook wanted to phone his girlfriend that coming Sunday and to make sure he got a good "line" I was going to get a really good "un-fridgy" steak. The Cook did indeed get a good clear line through Portishead and I remember being the envy of my colleagues when I tucked into an enormous beefy!

When we were at Felixstowe I seem to recall that we were told offficially to dump the entire fridgy meat stores in the North Sea while crossing to Zeebrugge (I think). I bet that wouldn't happen today.

I dug out a couple of grainy photo's of that trip on the LK but can't find any of the Nedlloyd Schie incident. I know I took some but they are obviously in an old biscuit tin somewhere. One day I'll have to sit down and catalogue/digitise them. Luckily some of them are labelled with names as I would have no chance of remembering most of them now.

Are you still into fast powerboats? I remember you looking forward to Cowes Week and discussing super-cavitation with Rod Banton!

All the best.
Cheers,
John

robbie13
10th September 2009, 16:34
Bill Murdoch was my 1st Cheif Steward ,the Lord Kelvin being my 1st deep sea trip.I was galley boy,and one of my duties was to wake him every morning at 6am.One morning i failed in this duty,because Mr Murdoch had his staff in his cabin on the demon drink the night before.As a young lad of 17 and not used to drinking,yes you guessed i fell through.The biggest mistake of my life,i woke to Bill dragging me out of my bunk by the hair,standing whilst i washed and dressed.Giving me dogs abuse like you would never beleive.Later that morning he had me in his cabin,he accused me of being in his cabin and drinking all his beer etc if i wanted to drink his beer,id better be up on time next time.That was the nature of the man,a great bloke and a man i will always respect and never forget.On his paying off he even gave me his radio God bless you Bill.
I was on the Kelvin when that collision took place in the Suez,i remember it was my turn to stay up when the catering staff had afternoon sleeps.I was in the Officers Bar when the room went dark,i remember looking out of the porthole and seeing this other ship right up on us.Scared the life out of me.Great days,and great memories.

ALAN TYLER
17th September 2009, 15:13
Heres the crew list for the "lower deck" Sept 78
Bosun......N Wright
A Bs....... J Lewis
" ........T Banks
" ........K Melville
" .........D Meech
" ..........G Pearce
ERS ......E Downing
F/man....F Langton
" ......W Evans
Ch/Cook..K Clarke
2nd Stwd D Hughes
A/S .......D Caine
" ........P Donavan
C/Boy ....M Self

On the crew list theres a "rank" E.R. Boy, I never came across this when I was with Houlders or any other company. I see there was one on the Dunster Grange W Vokes, Cavendish R Plumpton and Cumbria A Templeton.

robbie13
18th September 2011, 20:58
Does nobody remember Bill Murdoch - ex RSM Black Watch, and a top bloke?

My 1st cheif steward.As you said top bloke,gave me his radio when he paid off Lord kelvin,i was his Galley boy

MARINEJOCKY
1st October 2011, 21:49
I believe I sailed with Bill on the Cumbria. The other guys got me to go on and on about the girls on the Tennants cans in front of Bill and he went crazy, said that two of them were his daughters, not sure if that was true or not but I never mentioned those girls again when he was about.

Was it true or not ?

loco
20th November 2011, 16:50
Hywell Pugh is now a fairly senior pilot on the Thames.
See him quite often at work.

Ann Roberts last heard of married and working on parcel tankers in the Caribbean. One of my former fellow VTS staff was second mate and she was mate.

Martyn

Nick Batstone
20th November 2011, 17:23
Hywell Pugh is now a fairly senior pilot on the Thames.
See him quite often at work.

Martyn

Me and Hywell both got done together when we crossed the line on the Lynton Grange in '79.

Could you pass on my regards to him please and tell him I have a couple of photos of him naked which he can buy back.

homerus
7th January 2012, 05:22
I went to school with messr vokes & templeton.
have a nice day.

billy vokes
28th December 2012, 17:14
I went to school with messr vokes & templeton.
have a nice day.

Hi homerus

who are you?