La Coruna Radio/EAR

Drunkensailor
7th September 2008, 22:34
Came across this on www.youtube.com plenty of 500khz morse on the audio from this video clip on La Coruna Radio/EAR. Nostalgic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9-69U5oio

trotterdotpom
8th September 2008, 02:11
No wonder the station's tone was crap - Groucho marx was running the place!

John T.

R651400
8th September 2008, 07:35
No wonder the station's tone was crap -

The morse from most of the stations wasn't much better, exception CUL.
On the upside with a geographical coverage from Denmark to Gibraltar I rate this as one of the best and genuine 500 kc/s recording(s) I've heard so far.
If anyone wishes to follow and run the youtube at the same time this is what I received...

CQ de ZDK QTC tfc list QSW 464
CQ de EAS Tfc list QRU
GROY de OXZ up 480/87
QRZ de EGQO
HOJZ EAR I work only on telegraphy
CQ de CUL QSW 435
QRZ? EAP 500
TTT de PCH Pilot MSG 35 QSW 461 (same time... de 5ALB up)
IMI (?) GKZ
PCCS GNF
CQ de EAF Tfc list QSW 484
IMI (?) PCH
SVIW EAC nw QRU?
GONR de GKZ up AS
CQ de FFM Tfc List QSW 432 up
OZTS de ZDK QTC
PJPK PCH K
ONBP

BA204259
8th September 2008, 09:25
Thanks Drunkensailor, wonderful, the best of it's type I've seen. The years rolled away and I was right back there, heading down the channel outward bound. Although a very happy and contented man, I still came close to shedding a tear for those wonderful times and my long-lost, often dissolute but much enjoyed youth. :)

Nostalgic stuff indeed!

King Ratt
8th September 2008, 10:09
Cheers Drunkensailor, FB OM.

73 de Rab T

Ron Stringer
8th September 2008, 10:12
As soon as I saw ''EAR'' I immediately had memories of the Spanish coast stations that quacked like duck on 500. Never found out (even on many subsequent business visits to HRM and CRAME in Madrid) what equipment they used and why their modulation was so primitive. Of course in the early days, one had to be careful about asking questions about nationa communications arrangements - Franco had so many squirrels around the place.

Tai Pan
8th September 2008, 13:14
No wonder Im deaf, ten years of that. very nostalgic though

BobClay
8th September 2008, 15:30
Which one of the stations down that coast used to be known as 'Gentle Jesus' because everytime you took a weather forecast you got 'gentle breezes' even if your ship was balanced on its stem in a force 10 atlantic storm?

I think he just didn't like bad weather, ... so he didn't send any.

mikeg
8th September 2008, 15:33
Which one of the stations down that coast used to be known as 'Gentle Jesus' because everytime you took a weather forecast you got 'gentle breezes' even if your ship was balanced on its stem in a force 10 atlantic storm?

I think he just didn't like bad weather, ... so he didn't send any.

Monsanto had 'gentle zephyrs' whatever the weather...

BA204259
8th September 2008, 15:57
Monsanto/CTV.

BobClay
8th September 2008, 16:04
ahhh that's the one. Monsanto.

Reminds me of my standard weather report which I used if I (cough cough) ever should have missed one.

Winds variable force 1 to 12.
Seas slight to phenomenal.
Visibility good but occasionally poor.
Outlook similar.

(==D)

Gareth Jones
8th September 2008, 18:41
What a pleasure to hear that burst of 500 as it was in the good old days ! gone but not forgotten.

BobClay
8th September 2008, 19:29
.. and what a great collection of transmitter tones. It's well over 20 years since I heard any of that stuff.

As Rutget Hauer said in Blade Runner ...

'All those moments will be lost in time ..... like tears in rain.'

Pat bourke
8th September 2008, 21:50
Nice one drunkensailor, brought back many memories, ran up and down the Bay of Biscay for a month between St Nazaire and Vigo. Pat

andysk
9th September 2008, 10:30
....... Came across this on ....... plenty of 500khz morse on the audio from this video clip on La Coruna Radio/EAR. Nostalgic stuff. ......[/url]

It's really wonderful stuff. but does anybody know how to get a copy of the file downloaded onto their PC (ie) get a copy ?

Cheers

Andy

BA204259
9th September 2008, 10:47
... but does anybody know how to get a copy of the file downloaded onto their PC (ie) get a copy ?

Cheers

Andy

Do you use Firefox? If so I can tell you how, but don't know how to do it with IE (haven't used it in over five years). You will also need a media player which will play FLV files. Are you running XP or Vista?

steve Coombs
9th September 2008, 10:48
Thanks for the memories

andysk
9th September 2008, 11:18
Do you use Firefox? If so I can tell you how, but don't know how to do it with IE (haven't used it in over five years). You will also need a media player which will play FLV files. Are you running XP or Vista?

Hi BA204259 ...

I am using Firefox and XP.

My media player of choice is Irfanview, I don't kow if they have a plugin for FLV files though.

Thanks for your help ...

Cheers

Andy

BA204259
9th September 2008, 11:45
Andy

The answer is a Firefox extension called Video DownloadHelper obtainable from here:-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

When installed it will put an icon on your Navigation toolbar, usually to the left of the address bar. As ever, there will be a learning curve but only a small one. It works and works very well. Read the little bit there is about it and use it to d/l the video - which is by the way 18.5 Mbs.

The best player for this is VLC media player (latest version 0.8.6i ) obtainable from here:-

http://www.videolan.org/

The reason is that it already contains the necessary codecs for playing FLV files and is reliable and easy to use. It is open source and the price is perfect. (Incidentally I use the portable version as it doesn't need installing, but they're both good).

Let us know how it goes. Enjoy.

BobClay
9th September 2008, 11:59
Using free software downloaded from this site

http://keepvid.com/

I've downloaded a number of U tube vids via any browser. Not exactly sure what the legal situation is though ?

BA204259
9th September 2008, 12:01
Just checked the IrfanView plugin site and there is a plugin available for FLV files but wouldn't know how it works.

BA204259
9th September 2008, 12:32
Anybody have any ideas about why the Spanish coast stations had that peculiar sound? Unsmoothed H.T., keying the MO or whatever?

(R651400?)

omega2618
9th September 2008, 13:46
I have RealPlayer installed which you can get as a free download.This programme places a small 'window' above the You Tube video window with an invitation to 'download video'.Once activated a new window will open showing the download progress and once complete the video can be accessed in the RealPlayer library.If a silver surfing duffer like me can do it .....Hope this helps.

R651400
9th September 2008, 15:49
Anybody have any ideas about why the Spanish coast stations had that peculiar sound? Unsmoothed H.T., keying the MO or whatever?

It's really hard to say. The youtube recording was the worst I've heard EAR & Co.
Poor oscillator design such as lack of screening allowing RF feedback into the oscillator or keying the oscillator direct and/or subsequent stages with poor HT regulation are two of the main causes of chirping. EAR's problem sounds like the former as would lack of or poor HT smoothing give similar results.
Coast stations generally are situated in or near small coastal towns and perhaps the local Spanish mains supply from the grid was not enough to run anything like a high power transmitter, la Coruna street lighting going up and down in synch with EAR morse!!
Without doubt the recording is genuine but I actually thought the only station that had modulation I remember was CUL, all the rest sounded a bit iffy.

BA204259
9th September 2008, 16:45
R651400 -

Aye..a combination of any or all those things. CUL certainly stands out amongst them. As an aside, I've often wondered if CUL was chosen as a call sign with tongue in cheek as the word, with only slight variations, has a common meaning amongst the Romance languages (Jester)

Barber Hector
9th September 2008, 18:27
Thank you D'Sailor for sharing that with us. The years have just fallen by listening to that.
Talking about chirpy W/T tones anyone remember Colomboradio/4PB and Singaporeradio/VPW which was eventually 9VG, and the dreaded Shanghairadio/XSG. They all had distinctive notes.

BobClay
9th September 2008, 18:46
la Coruna street lighting going up and down in synch with EAR morse!!

Glad I'm not in a bar there if that sort of thing were to start up. I'd think I'd finally gone Portishead .....(Pint)

R651400
10th September 2008, 05:29
Another nightmare from Spanish coast stations was on fishfone when Spanish fishermen used to call Gijon (Geehon) Radio on 2182 without gaps eg
"GijonGijonGijonGijonGijonGijonGijonGijon Radio" which could set of the coast station 2182 alarms as far north as GND!

andysk
12th September 2008, 17:42
Thanks all for the download hints, I'll have a go over the weekend and see what happens.

I played the video to my wife last night, she couldn't understand why I went all misty eyed and the right hand started tapping in time !

Rhodri Mawr
12th September 2008, 18:10
Thank you D'Sailor for sharing that with us. The years have just fallen by listening to that.
Talking about chirpy W/T tones anyone remember Colomboradio/4PB and Singaporeradio/VPW which was eventually 9VG, and the dreaded Shanghairadio/XSG. They all had distinctive notes.

Same thing for Galveston/KLC. His MCW tone on 500 reminded me of a
cricket chirping away

freddythefrog
12th September 2008, 20:42
Great stuff drunken sailor---brings the memories flooding back of the good old days!!. cheers ftf

Mimcoman
14th September 2008, 00:29
One of the more distinctive was Las Palmas, whose 500 note rose in pitch while transmitting. I was never able to work out if the transmitter had a directly-keyed oscillator, or if the ht line to the oscillator was keyed, or what...