Anti Virus software etc

Shipbuilder
9th September 2008, 08:48
After battling computer problems for a week, I finally gave up & took it in for repair yesterday. I resurected this old one from the attic, so at least I can still get (slowly) on the air.

When my big one comes back, can anyone suggest the best protection software for it. I had Norton in the last one, & it didn't manage to stop the thing getting in! Apart from anything else, it began to run very slow & I have been told that the Norton did this.

Are there better alternatives?

I caused a complete collapse of the old computer myself. As a last resort, I saved all the files to an extrenal hard drive & uninstalled Windows XP. The re-installation was a complete mess although I generally know what I am doing in such things (lack of practice I suppose).

Bob

non descript
9th September 2008, 09:27
Bob,

Firstly I can say that ‘I know how you feel’ and secondly I feel there are plenty on here who can help and guide you far better than I can, for there are a lot of supporters of various free packages and our very worthwhile and knowledgeable group of Members will be able to add their advice.

Going back to my initial comment, my experience was truly awful and there was a company with a name not unlike a Burger & Fries place, and their Anti-Virus system was a total failure and worse for me, to such an extent it actual ruined my PC. It may be wonderful for others, I really cannot say, all I can say is that for me it was truly a disaster.

I removed it, and to their credit they refunded my money, I then purchased a system called NOD 32 (http://eset.co.uk/adware-protection-lp.php?gclid=CI7SnbqXzpUCFQyN1Qod6BWXhw) – now, some 5 years later, I can say that I have never had the slightest hiccup and in my experience it is absolutely perfect.
(Thumb)
Mark

SHM 078
9th September 2008, 09:35
In all my years online i have only ever used Zonealarm Internet Security which is AV/Firewall etc etc and AVG FREE as a secondary AV, ive had silly little warnings but these ahave only ever been EXE files that i have on my hard drive ie programs that i have downloaded, ive never touch wood had any viruses that have caused any problem, a mate of mine had one last week and it nearly screwed his pc , he popped it round and within an hour i had all of the "Virus Alert" pop ups on his task bar gone along with the browser hijacker etc etc,snotty job but got shot, he was using Norton (MAD) (MAD) so i removed that and put on AVG Free and he also got Zonealarm also, and so far hes had no problems since,

Its each persons preference some say avg is crap others say its good ,you will find that with ANY program but thats how ive found it in the years ive been online,i also download quite a bit from newsgroups too which can be virused up!!! AVOID Limewire and the likes.

Marc

Shipbuilder
9th September 2008, 10:24
Thanks for the replies.
I looked up the NOD32 on Google & see that as well as being able to be purchase & download "online," it is also available for a free 30-day trial. I suppose that not much in the way of viruses would come in during that time, but at least one could see if it upset the system. The price is very good too, slightly cheaper than Norton & a lot cheaper if a two-year one is purchased.
Bob

rickles23
9th September 2008, 14:11
On my system I use the free AVG and Windows Defender and then every couple of weeks I use an independent program like SuperAntiSyware but then uninstal the SuperAntiSyware after I have run it.
Every time I use the Internet I use Ad-Aware and Registry Washer and clean up all the Temporary Files in Windows.
Any emails sent to me that I do not know the person sending them get deleted and the same with any email with more than two addresses on it.
The only true way to beat the viruses is to never switch the computer on
Regards

BA204259
9th September 2008, 17:24
Hi Bob

My protection of choice for the last three or four years is Kaspersky Internet Security. It is very highly regarded amongst the "geek" community. KIS has a very good firewall amongst other things. If you just want an AV then Kaspersky Anti-Virus is worth considering. It updates several times a day. Check it out.

Downside is that it is a bit "geeky" but fortunately it works well "from the box". Just been on their web site to check out prices and was horrified to find out that a one year KIS licence is 39.99 and 29.99 for the AV. I say horrified because less than a year ago I purchased a two-year licence for 3 pc's for 25 on special offer. They have a good and active forum. Even at 40 I have no plans to change, have been very, very happy with it (despite the learning curve).

However, having suffered what you have recently with your pc I would also consider using a sandbox for your browser (eg Sandboxie) or a virtualisation programme such as Returnil. I use both on occasion. Paranoia is my middle name. These days you certainly don't have to "surf on the dark side" to get infected. Also, if you use IE consider Firefox or Opera as alternatives. For me, anything but IE, I was never clever enough to understand all those silly zone things.

R798780
9th September 2008, 19:24
I first saw NOD32 in a write-up which claimed it was light on resources. Can't say I noticed much difference in that respect but I do like it, now into year 5 with it, and no problems. Kaspersky has a very good reputation, my daughter has a 3 month licence, came with her new PC, she hasn't asked to go back to AVG - yet.

tell
10th September 2008, 02:47
why not try windows live one care I find it ok up to now

Shipbuilder
10th September 2008, 16:35
Thanks for all the replies & suggestions. This situation has now been resolved. I took it in on Monday & collected it this morning. They scrubbed the hard drive after finding some dodgy bits of virus & spyware in it. Fortunately, I had saved everything to extrenal hard drive, so nothing lost. I still have to re-install the word processing, scanning, photo facilities etc, but it is OK again.
I was advised that the Norton anti-virus (that was in it before) tends to slow the system down after a while. I found that to be the case. I was going for NOD32 or AVG, but after asking at a couple of computer stores, decided upon McAfee. Got it for about 22. Installed it without problems & told it to scan the external hard drive which it did, locating & kicking out 8 items of "suspect" files.

The repair cost 35, so got off quite lightly. Anyway, thanks for all you responses. Just thought I would let you know how things turned out.
Best wishes
Bob

JimC
10th September 2008, 18:38
I first saw NOD32 in a write-up which claimed it was light on resources. Can't say I noticed much difference in that respect but I do like it, now into year 5 with it, and no problems. Kaspersky has a very good reputation, my daughter has a 3 month licence, came with her new PC, she hasn't asked to go back to AVG - yet.

I too have Karspersky - the best I've ever had.

Cuddles
10th September 2008, 20:01
Norton whilst agressively marketed by the likes of PC World will eventually result in your computer slowing down. I have just bought a new laptop which came with Norton preinstalled and I've just uninstalled it and replaced it with the free AVG anti virus which has given me good service in the past.
Another very good and free anti virus is "Avast Home Edition" which can be downloaded from www.avast.com
As recommended by "rickles23", also use a Window Washer to remove temp files,cookies,history files and other data that eventually slows up your computers performance.
Good Luck
Alan

Shipbuilder
10th September 2008, 20:04
I started on the internet in 1999 with PC World & was not impressed by what they persuaded me to take. Lot wiser now. Have spent all afternoon putting software back into computer & almost back to normal now.
Bob

GEORDIE LAD
10th September 2008, 21:05
I have used McAfee Security Suite for several years on all 3 computers and have never had the slightest problem.Updates are virtually daily.......Doug

Shipbuilder
16th September 2008, 14:37
Every so often, after installing McAfee, I get a box asking me to register in order to get updates. I put in my e-mail address, think of a password & press Submit & it always comes back with ERROR! Anyone else come across this? Their website is no help at all. I e-mailed them several days ago, but although they acknowledged it, there has been no reply (don't really expect one, very few firms bother to reply to anything these days).
Bob

K urgess
16th September 2008, 14:49
If you're not getting updates to your anti-virus library from Macafee you should think of downloading something like AVG Free to tide you over until you get the problem sorted and to give you some up-to-date protection.
If you've re-installed Macafee you may have to go through the registration procedure again in order to get it to work.
I've personally never used Macafee. Used Norton for almost 20 years and then decided to bin it because it was taking over my computer.

Kris

lesbryan
16th September 2008, 15:37
I have had full AVG for four years.Updates and scans everyday warns of threats and trackers it does for me

Shipbuilder
22nd September 2008, 20:32
Eventually, I got a message from McAfee saying my computer was not protected & would not be so until I registered. Reluctantly, I phoned them on their "Quid a minute" helpline. The problem was quickly solved, passwords MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE NUMBER AMONGST THE LETTERS! As soon as I added a single number to my password it worked OK. But why did they not make this clear in their instructions? By the time I discovered this I had "blown" four quid on their helpline!

Apart from that, I am happy with McAfee, it has booted out a number of undesirable intrusions & updates regularly. Just thought I would let you know the end of the story.
Bob

Pompeyfan
23rd September 2008, 23:21
I have Kaspersky Internet Security and it is first class. If you look at other anti virus performances Kaspersky found more viruses than any other when I decided to go for it. I used to have Zone Alarm firewall but was forever asking questions. The Kaspersky firewall just works away in the background doing its job. It is certainly the best Internet Security I have ever had. Having said that I may be infected now?!!.

David

John Rogers
23rd September 2008, 23:50
Try The Shield, its a Kaspersky,its served me well.no virus to date.

treeve
25th June 2009, 17:24
AVG 7.5 has just given me a message that all cover has ceased by that software, I am to download 8.5 to maintain protection - that takes 4 hours, with no pause as an option - it has already broken download twice. I feel quite abandoned by this. Please does anyone have a URL for download that is available for download via Fresh Download, or have an address for the software on CD? This is bad, as I detest the other packages, having tried Macaffee and Norton etc, I cannot deal with the hassle; What I like about AVG was the simplicity and the fact that it slowed down nothing. Groan, always something.

shamrock
25th June 2009, 17:27
I had AVG but changed over to Anti-Vir freebee that has worked out really well thusfar...touches wood :o

I also use Comodo firewall freebee too, which again works fine for what I want :)

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/index.html

treeve
25th June 2009, 17:52
Thank you - AntiVir is only 30Mb and is pausable from Softpaedia.
Comodo is 72Mb in comparison to the 66Mb of AVG. That will take even longer to download, even if I get a continuous download.
No prizes for the download I am going to try. It is now transferring at twice the speed of DW. Thank you.

Sabastapol
25th June 2009, 20:11
I find Norton and McAfee what I call pretentious. I now use NOD32 in my opinion the best in the business and if you can find statistics on anti virus's ( there was some in one of the Computer mags earlier this year) it is way in front of all the others in just about every catagory. Put it on your PC and just forget about it, Honest. (Thumb)

treeve
25th June 2009, 21:22
Fair enough - looks as if it costs money. Will bear that one in mind. Thanks.

rknibbs
26th June 2009, 09:14
My computer came with McAfee already loaded. It worked well and so I renewed the subscription. Unfortunately the renewal process failed and I investigated their support service. For personal telephone support they charge 1 per minute but promise that it won't cost more than 20 in total!!!!!! Their virtual online support was free and OK but eventually I solved the problem myself. I used AVG very satisfactorily on my previous computer.

Dickyboy
26th June 2009, 09:55
After battling computer problems for a week, I finally gave up & took it in for repair yesterday. I resurected this old one from the attic, so at least I can still get (slowly) on the air.

When my big one comes back, can anyone suggest the best protection software for it. I had Norton in the last one, & it didn't manage to stop the thing getting in! Apart from anything else, it began to run very slow & I have been told that the Norton did this.

Are there better alternatives?

I caused a complete collapse of the old computer myself. As a last resort, I saved all the files to an extrenal hard drive & uninstalled Windows XP. The re-installation was a complete mess although I generally know what I am doing in such things (lack of practice I suppose).

Bob
I bought 'Kaspersky Internet Security 2009' about a month ago. I was fed up with Norton, and deleted it with still 6 months to run. Takes an age to do anything, and scanning pictures prior to and recieving e-mails took an age. No problems with Kaspersky at all. Well worth the money.
I never go for 'Freebees' on line, even well known ones. They're usually older versions, and can only be updated by buying the current version. Freebees are only given away because they can't flog them, being out of date.
I think that Kaspersky uses a little more disc space, but in my book it's well worth it, and the slightly higher cost as well.

duquesa
26th June 2009, 09:57
After referral by a PC "Engineer" some months ago, there is only one for me and that is Kaspersky. Slick, simple and totally non intrusive. Used to have AVG but when the glitches appeared it was time to look elsewhere.

Billieboy
26th June 2009, 10:00
I have been using Norton since 1992, (it was known as PC Tools and Dr. Solomons in those days), since just after viruses were invented. Caught a few viruses just after loading the programme!

I've seen and tried, many, many, anti-virus programmes, but I've still come back to Norton. I agree that it has, at times, been a problem with regard to overall speed, but it does NOT let any virus, worm, bot, or hijacker, through the firewall. The latest, Norton 360, is really the fore point of safety systems and it speeds up the computer as well, with it's register and disk cleanup/window-washer systems. When it came to installing Norton 360, something went wrong, I called Norton support chat, on the net, they checked and adjusted everything, so the show was back on the road within an hour. All totally free!(K) (Thumb)

P.S. Norton 360 has three licenses with each purchase, My daughter bought it on line in US$ (it's cheaper that way), and gave one to me, using the other two for her computers, one laptop and one PC.

Dickyboy
26th June 2009, 10:24
After referral by a PC "Engineer" some months ago, there is only one for me and that is Kaspersky. Slick, simple and totally non intrusive. Used to have AVG but when the glitches appeared it was time to look elsewhere.
Duquesa
I bought the disc as well. I downloaded it from their website, and also paid an extra 6 odd for the program on disc, so if necessary I can re load it without having to rely on their website. I much prefer to have my own disc. I always bought Norton on disc, as opposed to downloading on line. Don't know if you can buy Kaspersky on disc without downloading from the site first though.

duquesa
26th June 2009, 11:09
I downloaded my Kaspersky from their site. However, I bought a disc in a local shop for my wife's pc. Both work perfectly.(Thumb)

Dickyboy
26th June 2009, 12:05
I downloaded my Kaspersky from their site. However, I bought a disc in a local shop for my wife's pc. Both work perfectly.(Thumb)
I'll keep an eye open in the shops for it, then get it that way, rather than downloading from the web when I need to update it.(Thumb)

treeve
26th June 2009, 15:20
After a lot of searching, I have discovered a direct URL for AVG8.5.
http://downloadfree.grisoft.com/inst/avg_free_stf_en_85_374a1564.exe
That is Pause Supported, so can be used on Fresh Download.

dnobmal
26th June 2009, 17:17
My son who still lives in the UK ,his provider is BT and they give him Macafee in his broadband package deal . It used to be Norton but they have dropped it for some reason,up to now he has no complaints

tedc
4th August 2009, 17:56
I've just spent some time working with Windows 7, first in Beta then in RC1 mode.

When I first went on W7 they were only supporting it with a few AntiVirus packages. Norton Internet Security was NOT there but Norton 360 was.

Since I had already bought NIS 2008, i was not ready to pay out again for the other package so went with a couple of free ones.
AVAST turned out to be excellent and I was happy to be using that for a month or three.

Much later, Norton brought out a free upgrade to NIS 2009. This was acceptable to W7 - especially as it was (in my opinion) a highly pruned down version of the previous version.

Since the footprint of W7 is quite small, I felt comfortable to put this smaller NIS on with it - and it has been BRILLIANT!

Don't believe the Norton Knockers - it might have been unresposive at one time, but it is pretty nifty now!

I have just happily renewed my 2009 package and feel that, as value for money, it is the dog's danglies - especially with the included anti spam stuff and the Identity Safe"

AVAST & Kasperski are now languishing on the shelf!

What's my pc?

It's a 64 bit Dual processor P4 with 4GB of memory.

ChasD
26th August 2009, 20:23
I've just spent some time working with Windows 7, first in Beta then in RC1 mode....

Hi TedC .... what was your overall experience of Windows 7? Any better than Vista ? The retail version of Windows 7 is now being offered on a pre-order basis, available around 22/Oct so, as I'm doing a bit of an upgrade of my 'other' unit which uses Vista (don't like it - too obstructive/argumentative!) I've been debating installing '7' on it but obviously don't want to do a fryingpan/fire thing - so your opinions/experience would be highly valuable - is it easier to work with ?
Anybody else do anything on the pre-issue versions ? ...

ChasD

Duncan112
26th August 2009, 20:36
It would seem that some trojan type viruses are now being designed to circumvent Norton - certainly got past mine and the PC had to go off to hospital suffering from the blue screen of death sought advice from our IT dept at work and they recommended Kaspersky and avoiding Norton. We'll see how it goes.

Eddie Wallace
26th August 2009, 20:50
I have tried most A/v programmes and the best is McAfee it has served me for the past four years without a hitch .

coble
27th August 2009, 07:40
avg free virus is very good my computer is on windows vista

jabegren
4th September 2009, 17:55
I use F-secure, SUPERAntispyware, and Firefox.W-XP. No problem at all for more than 4 years.
IE=Lot of trouble.

Regards -Jabegren

tedc
24th September 2009, 12:18
Hi TedC .... what was your overall experience of Windows 7? Any better than Vista ? The retail version of Windows 7 is now being offered on a pre-order basis, available around 22/Oct so, as I'm doing a bit of an upgrade of my 'other' unit which uses Vista (don't like it - too obstructive/argumentative!) I've been debating installing '7' on it but obviously don't want to do a fryingpan/fire thing - so your opinions/experience would be highly valuable - is it easier to work with ?
Anybody else do anything on the pre-issue versions ? ...

ChasD

Hi!

I found W7RC1 to be much "faster" (in terms of how it feels at the keyboard) than Vista. Some of that you can put down to the fact that it is running solo in a fairly clean environment (i.e without the detritus which grows in folders over the years) and also due to clear instances of handling improvement by MS.
In the Beta version there were some interesting exclusions from the sw allowed. e.g NIS 2008 was OUT - Norton 360 was IN.
In W7RC1 these restrictions seem to have disappeared but Norton simultaneously handed out a free NIS 2009 upgrade to those on NIS 2008! and that problem went away. ( I think NIS 2009 is a also a much pruned package).

On my hard drives Windows 7 is occupying approx 12 gb compared with Vista at 16GB. THis may be down to missing features but it is suggested that the footprint is much smaller and 25% is not too bad.

W7RC1 works well with most of my kit (this pc is 3.2Gh Dual core 64 bit - 4 gb Ram- loads of HDD) My Vista was only running as 32 bit as I suspected all was not well in Vista with 64 bit - however W7 has been good in 64 bit mode.

I jumped at the chance of the 50 quid upgrade - I believe the price has already gone to 70+ - but will eventually be 140 ish.

I recommend W7 - unreservedly!

(fingers crossed!)

(A)

johnb42
24th September 2009, 12:50
I 'buy' McAfee, third party through AOL/Carphone Warehouse. Costs me 2.95
per month and covers 3 machines in the house. Have tried others but found McAfee the best so far.
By coincidence the quarterly newsletter from a local computer support company came through the post this morning. In an item on virus attack they make the points that Vista and Windows 7 are less susceptible to attack than XP, AVG Free appears not to be capturing some viruses and that installing Limewire is a surefire way of becoming infected. Their weapon of choice is Kapersky.

oilyhippo
25th September 2009, 00:35
I've always used AVG free, I used to have problems (Windows XP2000 SP4) until I stopped using Internet Explorer as a browser and switched to Mozilla Firefox. I've had NO problems whatsoever in about 10 months. I've set the AVG to perform scans & updates every other night at 3.00am; along with Spybot, I don't experience any trouble at all.
As for McAfee - a friend came to see me last week 'cos you know about computers' (yeah?), he'd managed to get a PITA (pain in the A**e) pop-up anti-virus thing that he couldn't shift. His laptop is just over a year old, cost him 700, was equipped with Windows Vista and McAfee security/anti-virus. NOTHING would shift the PITA, McAfee needed paying to update (funny how the PITA turned up JUST after the year's warranty had expired, don't you think?), and it couldn't be uninstalled in order to run AVG. After much fiddling about (ie shutting down McAfee and the PITA by using the Task Manager), I was then able to uninstall them both via 'add/remove programmes' in Control Panel. The same fault happened to another friend's PC last year, he took it to a computer shop, where it cost him 40 for them to fix it. If I knew then what I know NOW....
Anyway, my advice is: ditch McAfee, get AVG free & Spybot (C Cleaner's great too, and also free), and stop using Internet Explorer, switch to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Another tip: If you're running any Windows systems, avoid defrags like the plague - twice, friends have 'helped me speed things up' by doing a defrag, both times it took nearl a month to get sorted, it was slow to the point of inertia. My mate deals with computers for a living, he won't do defrags on Windows 'cos it f***ks 'em up'.
Keep on clicking, Dave.

coble
25th September 2009, 07:45
free avg is very good

willhastie
25th September 2009, 09:53
purchase a mac,end of problem

Burned Toast
25th September 2009, 11:09
free avg is very good

The full version even better,

CEYLON220
25th September 2009, 11:28
Shipbuilder, I went into a site for computor protection that was advised by a member on here as very good, so feeling that this was a better protection to the one that I already had I logged into it, that was a mistake as my laptop went haywire and I lost everything, this has been a costly experience, repairs came to 110, a lesson has been learned---trust the protection that you already have, mine is the AVG ANTIVIRUS free. Hope you have it sorted and up running.

Dave (ceylon220)

billyboy
25th September 2009, 11:34
hear here, I have the full version. plus i have Advanced system care and crap cleaner (which I have not used for a while)

marinero
25th September 2009, 12:24
I also use Kaspersky. If anyone uses Barclays Online Banking you can download it free and Kaspersky sends you the activation code once it has confirmed your identity with Barclays.(normally within 24 hours) You can then renew it free through Barclays each year.

Regards (Thumb)

tedc
25th September 2009, 16:53
As for McAfee - a friend came to see me last week 'cos you know about computers' (yeah?), he'd managed to get a PITA (pain in the A**e) pop-up anti-virus thing that he couldn't shift. His laptop is just over a year old, cost him 700, was equipped with Windows Vista and McAfee security/anti-virus. NOTHING would shift the PITA, McAfee needed paying to update (funny how the PITA turned up JUST after the year's warranty had expired, don't you think?), and it couldn't be uninstalled in order to run AVG. After much fiddling about (ie shutting down McAfee and the PITA by using the Task Manager), I was then able to uninstall them both via 'add/remove programmes' in Control Panel. The same fault happened to another friend's PC last year, he took it to a computer shop, where it cost him 40 for them to fix it. If I knew then what I know NOW....

Anyway, my advice is: ditch McAfee, get AVG free & Spybot (C Cleaner's great too, and also free), and stop using Internet Explorer, switch to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Another tip: If you're running any Windows systems, avoid defrags like the plague - twice, friends have 'helped me speed things up' by doing a defrag, both times it took nearl a month to get sorted, it was slow to the point of inertia. My mate deals with computers for a living, he won't do defrags on Windows 'cos it f***ks 'em up'.
Keep on clicking, Dave.

Hi oilyhippo!

Wonder if that little PITA program was an antivirus program which tried to force you to run their package & make it your main virus program. Think I had this and found that it switched off whichever antivirus system you were already using - including Norton!!!
Had also to go into safe mode to kick it overboard!

By the way - ditch your mate - Defrag has been great here in many years & many many pcs! Don't know what he uses but it must be down to HIM!

(Jester)

K urgess
25th September 2009, 17:08
I've found defrag so important in the battle to keep the machines running at their best that I've got one called Diskeeper that works all the time. Uses machine quiet time so only runs when nothing else is going on and never interferes with anything.

OLD STRAWBERRY
25th September 2009, 18:20
Well Lads I don't know about You but I have just downloaded a free one "AVAST" and I have just registered for another year of free protection. So far there has been no problems( I say that with fingers crossed). I've checked the PC security and all systems seem to be up running fine. Makes me wonder whether all these very expensive Anti-Virus programmes aren't a bit of a con. Especially after reading some the problems You have had with them.

tedc
25th September 2009, 21:22
Well Lads I don't know about You but I have just downloaded a free one "AVAST" and I have just registered for another year of free protection. So far there has been no problems( I say that with fingers crossed). I've checked the PC security and all systems seem to be up running fine. Makes me wonder whether all these very expensive Anti-Virus programmes aren't a bit of a con. Especially after reading some the problems You have had with them.

Hi Old Strawberry!

Yes, I have 3 licences of NIS2009 running and I tend to use AVAST on the other pcs I come in contact with.
AVAST works fine on Windows 7 as well.
I got on to AVAST after the detailed investigation carried out by "pcadvisor" a couple of years ago which told us that Avast "has a decent malware detection rate but poor proactive detection and an awkward design".
- not bad for free!
They rated Kaspersky as the number 1 (which was 24, a pound cheaper than AVAST, 25, for those who paid for their AV progs!)
They also rated the products by how much they slowed the system down - Avast was 4%, Kaspersky was 10% and NAV2007 was 10%! Biggest slower down was Bitdefender (124%)!
Hope this wasn't too boring!

OLD STRAWBERRY
25th September 2009, 22:00
Not at all Ted. We had problems with our PC some time ago,It had got corrupted. The start up just went round in circles ie press the start button and it would get as far as Welcome and shut down again. So We had to go back to factory settings. My Young Grandson(16)did it for us. He put all the files and programmes on a portable HD. Anyhow He sorted it out but He tried to re-install Norton but it wouldn't have it. So he said get a free one off the internet, with that He did.

coble
27th September 2009, 08:59
free anti virus are very good it save you monery

CEYLON220
27th September 2009, 10:57
I`ve now got a problem again even after spending money to get things sorted after going into a virus/clearing all faults on your computor etc that was recommended by a SN member--result--everything went haywire, all back to normal except when I sign into SN and give my password, it lets me onto the site but if I go into the Gallery I have to sign on again even when I pin point a pic to look at and try to go back into the site I have to sign in again ,same with the Forum pages---when I upload this message and try to come back in it tells me to register again , any of you guys know how to remedy this and quickly before I bin the laptop------Andy came back saying that it had something to do with "cookies" not registering----I hope we have some computor Boffins aboard!!!!!

CEYLON220
27th September 2009, 16:07
Job sorted, took Andy`s advice and lowered the position of excepting "cookies" to a medium setting on Internet Explorerer from h
a High setting---------any other advice would be appreciated and logged.

Dave (ceylon220)