Remembering an uncle who worked for Blue Funnel

Paul Taylor
13th September 2008, 22:48
Hello all, first I have to admit that I have nothing to do with shipping and this will probably be my only posting to this forum.

However, I was just listening to a fascinating programme on Radio 4, called 'The Shanghai Sailors' (part of the Archive Hour series) probably of interest to members of this forum (try BBC 'Listen Again' to hear it). Anyway, it featured something of the history of The Blue Funnel Line, but was mainly concerned with the forced repatriation of Chinese sailors who worked for the line who had settled in England.

The reason I felt prompted to post this is that the programme reminded me that an auntie of mine (she died around 15 years ago aged 90+) married a merchant seaman in the 1950's who worked for Blue Funnel as (I think) a carpenter. His name was Robin Jones - a short, stocky Welshman. His home was in Nefyn North Wales. I was only a youngster at the time but I remember him telling seafaring tales at family gatherings and he often used to send me postcards from the Far East.

That's it really, just wondered if anyone knew of him. Many thanks.

benjidog
14th September 2008, 00:52
Hello Paul and welcome from Lancashire.

We have a very large membership and it is not out of the question that someone might remember this chap - I wish you luck!

Derek Roger
14th September 2008, 01:06
Welcome from Canada . I hope you are able to get some information on your Quest . There are a lot of Blue Flue members and some might be able to help .

Regards Derek

Bill Davies
14th September 2008, 11:45
Paul,

Give it a day or two. Somebody on this site will revert.

Bill

gdynia
14th September 2008, 13:30
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
14th September 2008, 13:48
Paul, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Take a look through our forums and galleries and I think you'll be surprised at how much of interest you'll find. I would believe that there is more space devoted to Blue Funnel on our site than to any other line.
Good to have you onboard.

Bruce

R58484956
14th September 2008, 18:32
Greetings Paul and welcome to SN. Plenty of ex Blue Funnel lads on board. Bon voyage.