BP Shipping

fred henderson
5th July 2005, 15:07
BP are in the middle of a huge shipbuilding programme at a cost of some $6 billion, yet I am having difficulty in finding any information on the names, delivery dates or specs of the ships that have entered service to date. The BP Shipping website provides a ship list but it seems to be 18 months out of date. Anyone know of a dependable site?

Fred

James_C
5th July 2005, 17:40
The BP shipping website is actually more or less upto date, though they have two coasters listed that have recently gone for scrap. Bear in mind though, that the fleet you see there is only the British, owned/managed fleet.
There are a few subsidiaries which are farmed out to ship managers but BP still control their movements.
I've included the latest newbuild table, taken from last months Company Rag.
There is still a lot of discussions ongoing with various shipbuilders, and so naturally there are still some ships which haven't been announced yet.

fred henderson
5th July 2005, 17:56
Very many thanks Jim. Most helpful

Regards

Fred

trotterdotpom
6th July 2005, 13:21
BP are in the middle of a huge shipbuilding programme at a cost of some $6 billion, yet I am having difficulty in finding any information on the names, delivery dates or specs of the ships that have entered service to date. The BP Shipping website provides a ship list but it seems to be 18 months out of date. Anyone know of a dependable site?

Fred

I remember BP did that once before - they were screaming out for people who had a love affair with Kharg Island. Then, in the mid-80's they sold all the ships, had the 'Night of the Long Knives" and sacked everyone. Business is business!

John T.

James_C
6th July 2005, 15:53
Ah, Kharg Island, Ras Laffan, Yanbu, Das Island, Al Basrah, Mina Al Ahmadi, Ras Tanura, the list of exotic destinations goes on.....
The reason BP are rebuilding ina big style, is that in the past couple of years, they've decided that the best way to avoid having Third World muppets onboard the ships they've chartered and causing accident is to own the ships themselves and employ their own people.
They've never had a serious pollution incident, but after incidents like the Erika and Prestige in recent years they're tightening up on the tanker side of the business. The Erika incident also showed that although the French Oil Company Elf didn't own the ship or employ the crew, they had chartered it, and so were vilified in the press and in the courts.
So BP have come to the conclusion that the easiest way to make sure their ships are in as good hands as possible is to run them themselves.
Indeed, the average ship age in the fleet is about 2 years old! Since the late 70s the fleet remained pretty bouyant at around 20 ships, this of course until all the newbuilds started arriving.
And although, techincally BP sacked everyone in 1986, it didn't happen in reality. They merely ceased to be employed by BP in London, and switched to being employed bpy BP in Bermuda, with wages paid from the Isle of Man. All terms and conditions remained the same, aside from the loss of a pension to all new joiners.
It was all one big tax fiddle.
Indeed, Shell change the name of their tanker owning arm every few years, as they get some kind of tax break for it!

backsplice
11th July 2005, 03:11
jim you forgot theone etched on every tankrerman,s brain ..and what gave us all "theblues ""ABADAN " .......I,m a redsea tiger a tankerman.... heading up the gulf to Abadan ....happy days!!!!!..backsplice

James_C
11th July 2005, 18:35
Were they they four ships built at San Diego for the Alaskan Tanker Company? Or were their others?

gadgee
30th July 2005, 18:18
Remember Bandar Mashur - perhaps you would rather not!?

ketley22
30th July 2005, 19:47
BP website has an impressive list of "British" ships are any of these owned by BP or are they just chartered in foreign vessels and given "british "names ?

John_F
30th July 2005, 21:10
Paul,
Personally, I think Umm Said was the worst of the lot. This was especially so if you had been routed there from the Continent, via the Cape at half speed. (There was a glut of oil in Europe in the early 60s so vessels were used as floating storage tanks.) It would take 40 days to get there, you anchored off shore & picked up an under water pipeline, loaded in 24 hours & then set off back for Europe taking another 40 days. BP, to their credit, eventually realised what a mind numbing experience this was & instead of bunkering in Bahrein ( a 3 hour operation) we would stop at Durban on the way out for 24 hours R&R & Capetown on the way back. The Playhouse in Durban & the Delmonico in Capetown became favourite watering holes. No cargo watches!
Kind regards,
John Firmin

gadgee
30th July 2005, 22:01
There was another oil loading terminal called Khor al Amaya. Does anyone remember that? Just an offshore platform in Iraqi teritory I think. It was in the latest Gulf War reports. We loaded there on the Beacon in Jan 67 for Durban.

R798780
30th July 2005, 22:54
There was another oil loading terminal called Khor al Amaya. Does anyone remember that? Just an offshore platform in Iraqi teritory I think. It was in the latest Gulf War reports. We loaded there on the Beacon in Jan 67 for Durban.
Loaded the Oloibiri on Shell Charter at Al Bakri and Khor al Amaya. Which was Kuwaiti, Iraqi or Iranian I don't know, never questioned it at the time but then I joined ship on 23 December 1976. Anchored for a week, perhaps longer, because Christmas dinner was delayed when we expected to go alongside, 'cept we didn't berth till late new years eve and didn't start loading til after midnight. Guess the price of oil changed at the end of December. So we had Coque au Vin on Christmas day and a proper Christmas dinner about the 3rd of January. Both berths were offshore terminals in the middle of not very much, just off the end of a sandbank that any normal ship could just cruise over.
Saw New Year in with whisky out of a tea mug which said Newcastle Brown Ale on the side. Not sure why, Newcastle Amber was always my preference.

backsplice
31st July 2005, 10:17
the last time I was up the gulf was on the "Salvina" (general cargo ) anyway we went to "Bander khomai"...as opposed to Bander shapur ....after the revolusion ..another favourite oil port was Fao up the "shat el arab " I think .....happy days hot sun .....and sand sand and more sand .....backsplice

janbonde
31st July 2005, 19:15
Umm Said one of my old ships from the fifties is still there I believe, although when I was on her she was fairly new one of the 28,000s cannot remember for sure its my age but it was either the Crown or Realm,as for Abadan for a gulf tanker port at least you got a break ashore with your book of rials

gadgee
31st July 2005, 19:53
First trip to sea as a Nav App on British Beacon and our first loading port was Umm Said in Dec 1966. What was lying there but the wreck of British Crown. She had exploded a few months previous. A spark from an airconditioning motor whilst loading. A good education for a first tripper about what can happen on a tanker! The midships accommodation had been blown up into the air and landed some distance from the ship. Memories of topping up with ullage sticks, and sand bags blowing off. Sometimes we remembered to put those flame gauzes on the ullage pipes. Saw the 3rd Mate overcome with fumes once. We carried him to the hospital. Health and Safety???

Umm Said one of my old ships from the fifties is still there I believe, although when I was on her she was fairly new one of the 28,000s cannot remember for sure its my age but it was either the Crown or Realm,as for Abadan for a gulf tanker port at least you got a break ashore with your book of rials

John Rogers
31st July 2005, 20:22
I guess I was very fortunate, I sailed on the British Purpose and never went to the Gulf, instead we went to Brownsville Texas and returned to South Shields.According to my book it took eight weeks. She was a slow old boat.

fred henderson
31st July 2005, 23:32
BP website has an impressive list of "British" ships are any of these owned by BP or are they just chartered in foreign vessels and given "british "names ?

They are all owned by BP. With the exception of the American ships, however most of the remainder are registered in the Isle of Man.

John_F
1st August 2005, 13:31
First trip to sea as a Nav App on British Beacon and our first loading port was Umm Said in Dec 1966. What was lying there but the wreck of British Crown. She had exploded a few months previous. A spark from an airconditioning motor whilst loading. A good education for a first tripper about what can happen on a tanker! The midships accommodation had been blown up into the air and landed some distance from the ship. Memories of topping up with ullage sticks, and sand bags blowing off. Sometimes we remembered to put those flame gauzes on the ullage pipes. Saw the 3rd Mate overcome with fumes once. We carried him to the hospital. Health and Safety???
There are some photos of the remains of the British Crown on Graham Wallace's site: http://members.allstream.net/~wallaceg/index.html (BP Marine Engineering Apprentices).
19 crew lost their lives in the explosion. I believe that the wreck has long since gone. The faulty air conditioning unit was the one in the Officers smokeroom at the after end of the centre castle. This room was sometimes used as the office during loading & discharging as it exited straight out at flying bridge level. When loading tanks 5 & 6 across, gas could accumulate in this area.
As you say Paul, the gauzes were never of much use as they just got blown off by the high pressure of air exiting through the ullage plug. Sometimes, opening the sight port on the tank lid helped ease the pressure but they didn't make gauzes to cover them! Looking back, loading crude & refined products was really pretty dangerous. I have no idea what precautions are taken these days. I bet James C will be able to tell us.
Kind regards,
John Firmin

gadgee
2nd August 2005, 08:53
Looking through The British Tankers by Norman Middlemiss. He says that the British Crown was destroyed on 20/8/66 and declared a loss on 3/11/66.

paul0510
5th August 2005, 15:28
Hi Mates,
the Gulf certainly brings back fond memories for me although it was despised by many. Full belt through the 'Hole-in-the-Wall' on the Argosy, six weeks on the 'Bunker Run' Bandar Mashur-Kharg-Bandar Mashur in summer being served hot tea on a scorching deck by the Steward, selling blood for a few pints at the Mission in Mina, the silence broken only by the occasional gurgle and hiss of hot crude in the pipelines, terminal staff on their prayer mats, topping-off Nr. 1 with open tanktops, those wonderful sunsets and all pervading odour of black gold. And always this yearning to get a job on the tugs!
Seem to remember loading at Umm Said with what was left of the Crown as backdrop. Ran into the Master, Cpt. Tuckett, a few years later down in Grain where he was super. Wanted to know if that oil slick down the Medway was anything to do with me..Good Lord, sir, no sir...although only minutes before the pumproom bilges had been inadvertently (*)) discharged. Not a very talkative bloke but straight-up.
Has anybody been up the Gulf lately? Forty years on and ravished by greed and total ignorance would hardly give cause more to 'fond' memories.

cboots
6th August 2005, 08:22
Speaking of BP tankers I spotted the British Fidelity alongside Coode Island (Melbourne) last weekend when I was out on a bike ride. Almost didn't recognise her as a BP ship as they have changed their colours since my days and she did not have the BP on the funnel. By coincidence she was pictured in Monday's Age proceding seawards as a backdrop to an article about the Bay dredging protest.

robbo
6th August 2005, 14:12
Speaking of BP tankers I spotted the British Fidelity alongside Coode Island (Melbourne) last weekend when I was out on a bike ride. Almost didn't recognise her as a BP ship as they have changed their colours since my days and she did not have the BP on the funnel. By coincidence she was pictured in Monday's Age proceding seawards as a backdrop to an article about the Bay dredging protest.

You are a brave man biking down there. Re BP do they have that green-yellow flower on the funnel now, like the road tankers.
(EEK)

ketley22
6th August 2005, 20:38
You are a brave man biking down there. Re BP do they have that green-yellow flower on the funnel now, like the road tankers.
(EEK)
No they have gone back to the black white green white red they had in the sixties. No doubt they will change again in a year or so as have shell

fred henderson
6th August 2005, 23:33
(EEK)

Most of the oil companies are trying to avoid too many problems from the enviromentalist lunatics by distancing themselves from the ownership of tankers.

cboots
8th August 2005, 06:43
Nah, just the old colours but no BP badge. She was a smart boat though, looked pretty new.

backsplice
8th August 2005, 09:56
just had a rush of blood to the brain and remembered thatwhile I was at "Nagasaki" in 69/70 while on the "Benstac"....there were about5/6 tankers tied up side by side in almost completed stages of building and they all had the well known BP emblem on the funnels if memory serves me they were around the 200,000 mark as I recall someone declared 1,500,000 tonnes of ships there !!!!!..but time fades the picture .....in the mind ......backsplice

KenLin39
15th April 2006, 23:33

Hi, I was at Bandar Mashur on Shells Velutina in 1957 and remember the sub being paid out in the form of a booklet of 10 and 20 Rials tickets to exchange at the mission/canteen, unusually situated on the jetty. First time I ever saw a hole in the floor cr-pper. Ken.

normanbanks
16th April 2006, 20:22
anybody know what happened to a 36000ton tanker named "BIDEFORD" built 1959 this was my first ship.?

Graham Wallace
7th May 2006, 00:55
Re British Crown
I started researching that disaster in 1998/9. I have met Tony Tucket (Skipper) and Ray Bartley(4/E) two of the 5 officer survivors and spoken to two others (C/O, J/E), only one has eluded me, Alex Kennedy(3/E). I Have many photos of her destroyed state kindly donated by the ex C/E who removed the 12000 tons of remaining cargo and some from others. I'm always interested in meeting anyone who knows the slightest piece of info about her and the incident. I sailed with her 2/E in 1961 on the British Light when he was 3/E and me 4/E. My most amazing contact was getting his son emailing me through my BP Enginering Apprentices website, he was born 6 months after his father's death, his parents had been married less than a year!
It has been a most fascinating experience and I should do something worthwhile with pages of details that have emerged, that challenge is more daunting than the reasearch.
By the way, the centrecastle did not separate from the hull, its starboard side melted and collapsed almost to deck level.
Graham Wallace

ChiefCharles
7th May 2006, 17:41
I served as C/E on British Curlew in 1971. I am trying to contact the Second Engineer at the time, Bill Ivison. I would like to hear from anyone who knows of him. Regards - Roger

R58484956
7th May 2006, 18:18
Welcome Graham to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, as you can see plenty of ex BP people on this site.

gordonclark
2nd October 2006, 19:49
My dad was an engineer on BP tankers and got a shore job on the Tugs at Little Aden, the family joinedhim there in 1955 when i was 1 year old and we left ijn 1966. I am building a website about the tugs and "The Tuggies"and could use any photos and anecdotes about Little Aden , the Tugs etc etc

Larry Crowley
13th October 2006, 08:01
Did my first trip to sea on the Brtish Merchant, nice and new. But then they were called BTC not BP

ruud
2nd January 2007, 08:22
I served as C/E on British Curlew in 1971. I am trying to contact the Second Engineer at the time, Bill Ivison. I would like to hear from anyone who knows of him. Regards - Roger

Ahoy Roger,
Here your CURLEW:

jorgenl
3rd February 2007, 18:45
Do you want to exchange photos of BP tankers worldwide?

Brgds JorgenL

nzmatt
3rd April 2007, 11:43
hello there about bp australia,does anyone have any photos or tales of australian spirit built in 1987 for bp australia,then changed to toanui in new zealand in 1997 for ctl now silver fern shipping,now shes owned by PETROLERA TRANSOCEANICA as the andoas.cheers

BigNick
3rd April 2007, 15:13
Fred,

I too sailed to all those exotic Gulf ports (not). I was with BP from 1975 to1982, volunteering for redundancy during the 1882 massacre described above.

As it happens i recently answered an ad and was seriously considering returning to sea, so i went to the Isle of Man for an interview and got the full gen on the fleet.

The reason for the expansion is that they have decided that the only way to manage safety is to own the ships and employ the people themselves, as described by James C above. I did say that it was a pity they didn't come to the same conclusion in the early eighties! The terms are pretty good (trip lengths etc) but the pay is nothing special (4/E = 25k tax free).

The fleet is in two halves. One half is Indian registered and crewed, all oil tankers. The other is managed from the IOM by Dorchester Maritime. Crews are Philippino (long term employed, not casual) and officers are approx 300 UK & Commonwealth and 150 Polish, all registered in Bermuda. This half of the fleet gets all the new LPG/LNG vessels, with tankers transfering to the Indian fleet.

They said they were having difficulty recruiting to meet the fleet expansion, i said it is hardly surprising as it is a career choice that has been virtually non-existant for the last twenty years.

Anyway, they may or may not be happy to give you their bang up-to-date fleet info, can't see why it is that secret. Try 01624 631 833 and ask for the BP section.

Good luck,

Nick

BigNick
3rd April 2007, 16:20
cboots,

Following your Aus sighting, here is the British Gannet at Lytton, near Brissy, on 3rd August 2005, looking very new and shiny.

Nick

beedge
20th September 2008, 04:22
Very many thanks Jim. Most helpful

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred from NZ ! I've had good results from :-www.photoship.co.uk. Lets know how that one suits, by PM. At the moment I'm trying to get info. regarding the hull colours of BP Tanks, circa 1960 to 1970. I seem to remember :- Green decks, Grey hulls with Green boot-topping....any info. you can let me have appreciated.Regards Bruce Graham

BillH
20th September 2008, 08:49
The following vessels were on order on under construction in March 2005 when I was putting the finishing touches to my BP book. There were almost as many vessels in service.

The information is that available at the time. IMO No. above the name where identiied.

Vessels On Order Or Under Construction In March 2005.

BRITISH HARMONY (2) (2005 - )
O.N. . 29,335g. 11,917n. 46,803d. 183.0 x 32.22 x 12.2 metres oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (500 x 2000 mm) B&W 6S50MC-C type oil engine manufactured by Hyundai Heavy Industries Company Ltd., Ulsan. 12,870bhp.
Double hulled, molasses, chemical / oil products tanker.
28.12.2004: Keel laid by Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Company Ltd., Ulsan (Yard No. 0246 = later changed to 0333), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH COURTESY (2005 - )
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (500 x 2000 mm) B&W 6S50MC-C type oil engine manufactured by Hyundai Heavy Industries Company Ltd., Ulsan. 12,870bhp.
2005: due to be Completed by Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Company Ltd., Ulsan (Yard No. 0247 – later changed to 0334), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH SERENITY (2005 - )
2005: due to be Completed by Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Company Ltd., Ulsan (Yard No. 0248 – later changed to 0335), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH TRANQUILITY (2005 - )
2005: due to be Completed by Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Company Ltd., Ulsan (Yard No. 0249 – later changed to 0336), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH CORMORANT(2) (2005 - )
O.N. . 63,661g. 34,210n. 113,120d. 250.0 x 43.836 x 15.0 metres oa.
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2400 mm) B&W 7S60MC-C type oil engine manufactured by HSD Engine Company Ltd., Changwan. 21,483bhp.
Double hulled, crude oil tanker.
8.11.2004: Keel laid by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1482), for Kooper Ltd., (BP Shipping Ltd., managers). 6.2005: due to be Completed

BRITISH ROBIN (2) (2005 - )
O.N. . 63,661g. 34,210n. 114,760d. 250.0 x 43.836 x 15.0 metres oa.
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2400 mm) B&W 7S60MC-C type oil engine manufactured by HSD Engine Company Ltd., Changwan. 21,483bhp.
2005: due to be Completed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1483), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH CYGNET (2) (2005 - )
2005: due to be Completed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1530), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH KESTREL (2) (2006 - )
006: due to be Completed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1531), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH FALCON (2006 - )
2006: due to be Completed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1532), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH EAGLE (2006 - )
2006: due to be Completed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Koje Island (Yard No. 1533), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH CONFIDENCE (3) (2006 - )
O.N. . 47,000g. n. 51,000d. 230.0 x x 11.15 metres oa.
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2400 mm) MAN-B&W 7S60MC-C type oil engine manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd., Japan 21,483bhp.
Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) tanker.
2006: due to be Completed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 2202), for Abbie Shipping Ltd., (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH COURAGE (3) (2006 - )
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2400 mm) MAN-B&W 7S60MC-C type oil engine manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd., Japan 21,483bhp.
2006: due to be Completed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 2203 ), for Charlotte Shipping Ltd., (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH COMMERCE (4) (2006 - )
2007: due to be Completed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 2209 ), for Hazel Ltd., (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH COUNCILLOR (3) (2007 - )
O.N. . 47,000g. n. 51,000d. 230.0 x x11.15 metres oa.
2007: due to be Completed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 2204 ), for Sophie Ltd., (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH ( ) (2007 - )
O.N. . 98,100g. n. d. x x metres oa.
bhp. Kts.
Liquified Natural Gas Carrier
2007: due to be Completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries, Ulsan (Yard No. 1777 ), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH ( ) (2008 - )
bhp. Kts.
2008: due to be Completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries, Ulsan (Yard No. 1778 ), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH ( ) (2008 - )
bhp. Kts.
2008: due to be Completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries, Ulsan (Yard No. 1779 ), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH ( ) (2008 - )
O.N. . 120,000g. n. d. x x metres oa.
bhp. Kts.
2008: due to be Completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries, Ulsan (Yard No. ), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

BRITISH ( ) (2008 - )
O.N. . 91,800g. n. d. x x metres oa.
bhp. Kts.
2008: due to be Completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries, Ulsan (Yard No. ), for unspecified owners, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers).

Jubilee Shipping Group – As Bareboat Charterers To BP

It was announced to the press in 2003 that the Jubilee Shipping Group would construct a series of approximately 12 product / chemical tankers of between 1,500 – 5,000 tons dwt, for operation by or bareboat charter to BP. These would be registered under various flags and companies with only some directly managed by BP Shipping Ltd.

Darwin Shipping Company

J.1. BORDER HEATHER (2004 - )
O.N. 2,159g. 824n. 3,185d. 75.0 x 14.168 x 5.75metres oa.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (255 x 400 mm) MaK 8M25 type oil engine manufactured by Caterpillar Motoren GmbH & Co. K.G., Kiel. 2,400 bhp.
Double hulled, chemical / oil products tanker.
2003: Ordered from Damen, Bergum (Yard No. 1035 later 9357), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 6.8.2003: Keel laid. 2004: Transferred to Darwin Shipping Ltd., Nassau. 8.4.2004: Launched. 10.9.2004: Completed

J.2. BORDER THISTLE (2004 - )
O.N. 737434. 3,248g. 1,278n. 4,500d. 80.0 x x 6.3 metres oa.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (255 x 400 mm) MaK 8M25 type oil engine manufactured by Caterpillar Motoren GmbH & Co. K.G., Kiel. 2,400 bhp.
2003: Ordered from Damen, Bergum (Yard No. 1036 later 9355), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 1.10.2003: Keel laid. 2004: Transferred to Darwin Shipping Ltd., Nassau. 16.7.2004: Launched. 29.11.2004: Completed.

J.3. BORDER TARTAN (2005 - )
3,248g. 1,273n. 4,500d. 79.9 x x 6.3 metres oa.
2003: Ordered from Damen, Bergum (Yard No. 1037 later 9356), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 1.10.2003: Keel laid. 2004: Transferred to Darwin Shipping Ltd., Nassau. 26.8.2004: Launched.

Gordian Shipping Company

J.4. ALIOS ATHENA (2004 - )
2,192g. 657n. 1,952d. 80.0 x 13.818 x 4.512 metres oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (260 x 380 mm) 6DKM26L type oil engine manufactured by Daihatsu Diesel Manufacturing Company Ltd., Japan. 2,600bhp.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1275), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 14.4.2004: Keel laid. 2004: Transferred to Gordian Shipping Ltd., London, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers). 7.6.2004: Launched. 19.8.2004: Completed.

J.5. ALIOS APOLLO (2004 - )
2,191g. 657n. 1,952d. 80.0 x 13.824 x 4.5 metres oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (260 x 380 mm) 6DKM26L type oil engine manufactured by Daihatsu Diesel Manufacturing Company Ltd., Japan. 2,600bhp.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1276), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 26.5.2004: Keel laid. 2004: Transferred to Gordian Shipping Ltd., London. (BP Shipping Ltd., managers). 24.7.2004: Launched. 19.10.2004: Completed.

Donald Line Ltd.

J.6. ALIOS HERMES (2004 - )
2,097g. 629n. 1,504d. 80.0 x 14.72 x 5.5 metres oa.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1272), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 13.1.2004: Keel laid. 18.3.2004: Launched. 2004: Transferred to Gordian Shipping Ltd., London. (Ceres Hellas Maritime Company, Piraeus, managers). 28.5.2004: Completed. 2004: Transferred to Donald Line Ltd., (same managers).

J.7. ALIOS HERA
2,097g. 629n. 1,504d. 80.0 x 14.72 x 3.412 metres oa.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1273), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 3.3.2004: Keel laid. 21.4.2004: Launched for Goodeal Tanker Company Ltd., Sunbury on Thames, (BP Shipping Ltd., managers). 15.7.2004: Completed for Donald Line Ltd.

Goodeal Tanker Company Ltd.

J.8. ALIOS ARTEMIS (2005 - )
2,192g. 1,520n. 3,500d. 80.0 x 13.818 x 4.6 metres oa.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1277), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 2004: Transferred to Gordian Shipping Ltd., London. 20.9.2004: Keel laid. 1.12.2004: Launched for Goodeal Tanker Company Ltd., Sunbury on Thames, (Ceres Hellas Maritime Company, Piraeus, managers), under Panama flag.

J.9. ALIOS POSEIDON
2,192g. 1,520n. 3,500d. 80.0 x 13.818 x 4.6 metres oa.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1280), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 2004: Transferred to Goodeal Tanker Company Ltd., Sunbury on Thames, (Ceres Hellas Maritime Company, Piraeus, managers), under Panama flag.

J.10. ANATOLIA SEA (2005 - )
2,150g. 1,100n. 1,950d. 80.0 x 13.818 x 4.6 metres oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (280 x 380 mm) 6DKM28L type oil engine manufactured by Daihatsu Diesel Manufacturing Company Ltd., Japan. 2,600bhp.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1278), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd. 15.11.2004: Keel laid for Goodeal Tanker Company Ltd., Sunbury on Thames, (Ceres Hellas Maritime Company, Piraeus, managers), under Panama flag.

Anatolian Shipping Company

J.11. ANATOLIA SUN
2,980g. n. d. x x metres oa.
-cyl. S.C.S.A. ( x mm) type oil engine manufactured by
bhp. Kts.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 1281), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd.

J.12. ANATOLIA STAR
2,980g. n. d. x x metres oa.
-cyl. S.C.S.A. ( x mm) type oil engine manufactured by
bhp. Kts.
2003: Ordered from K. K. Miura Zosensho, Saiki (Yard No. 12782), by Jubilee Shipping Ltd., on behalf of charterer BP Oil Shipping Ltd.

gadgee
20th September 2008, 19:59
I have moved this thread into BP Shipping from Tankers.

John_F
20th September 2008, 21:13
Hi Fred from NZ ! I've had good results from :-www.photoship.co.uk. Lets know how that one suits, by PM. At the moment I'm trying to get info. regarding the hull colours of BP Tanks, circa 1960 to 1970. I seem to remember :- Green decks, Grey hulls with Green boot-topping....any info. you can let me have appreciated.Regards Bruce Graham
Bruce,
Regarding hull & deck colours 1960 - 1970. From 1960 - 63 the hull was dark grey with red boot topping & the deck was a light maroon colour as seen here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18914

From 1963 - 1968, whilst the hull remained the same colour, the decks & many vertical sevices were painted in a light grey, a truly awful colour scheme in my opinion, see here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5213

I believe it was from 1968 that the decks became green & the hulls turned black but I could be wrong. Certainly, it was decided that the funnels would lose their stripes & become all red with a black top & the BP shield inserted on a white square.
Personally, I still feel that the colour scheme of the 50s & early 60s was the best.
Kind regards,
John.

BillH
20th September 2008, 21:23
Bruce,
Regarding hull & deck colours 1960 - 1970. From 1960 - 63 the hull was dark grey with red boot topping & the deck was a light maroon colour as seen here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18914

From 1963 - 1968, whilst the hull remained the same colour, the decks & many vertical sevices were painted in a light grey, a truly awful colour scheme in my opinion, see here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5213

I believe it was from 1968 that the decks became green & the hulls turned black but I could be wrong. Certainly, it was decided that the funnels would lose their stripes & become all red with a black top & the BP shield inserted on a white square.
Personally, I still feel that the colour scheme of the 50s & early 60s was the best.
Kind regards,
John.
Hi John,

Your Icon thumbnail looks very like a cropped version of the photo from the dust jacket of our book on BP Tankers.

I hope you found it useful and informative.

Bill

gadgee
20th September 2008, 22:07
John
We dry docked British Argosy at Cammel Laird Birkenhead on 18th June 1968 where I believe she became the first in the fleet to be painted with black hull and green decks etc.

John_F
20th September 2008, 22:51
Hi John,

Your Icon thumbnail looks very like a cropped version of the photo from the dust jacket of our book on BP Tankers.

I hope you found it useful and informative.

Bill,
Guilty as charged!
I have only just realised who you are.
I think the book is a fantastic work of reference & must have involved an immense amout of work. Am I right in saying that you had no help from BP in producing this work? If so, then it is an even more remarkable achievement. I don't think a day goes by, if I am on this site & a query comes up about BP, that I don't pull your tome out for reference.
I do have Norman Middlemiss' 3 editions of The British Tankers to which I also refer &, with respect, have better quality photos (especially the 2nd & 3rd editions) but of course you have gone for quantity & there are very few illustrations of BP's vessels missing in your book.
I hope you don't mind my using the cropped BP funnel from your dust jacket as my "Avatar." It has now been copied by 3 or 4 other contributers, I notice.
As you have now joined the site, Bill, perhaps you can take over the task of counting stanchions (LOL) when it comes to vessel recognition, certainly over the next few weeks as I am in the throes of moving house down to the West Country. Your input to this site, certainly as far as BP tanker men are concerned will be invaluable.
Kind regards,
John.

BillH
21st September 2008, 09:09
Bill,
Guilty as charged!
I have only just realised who you are.
I think the book is a fantastic work of reference & must have involved an immense amout of work. Am I right in saying that you had no help from BP in producing this work? If so, then it is an even more remarkable achievement. I don't think a day goes by, if I am on this site & a query comes up about BP, that I don't pull your tome out for reference.
I do have Norman Middlemiss' 3 editions of The British Tankers to which I also refer &, with respect, have better quality photos (especially the 2nd & 3rd editions) but of course you have gone for quantity & there are very few illustrations of BP's vessels missing in your book.
I hope you don't mind my using the cropped BP funnel from your dust jacket as my "Avatar." It has now been copied by 3 or 4 other contributers, I notice.
As you have now joined the site, Bill, perhaps you can take over the task of counting stanchions (LOL) when it comes to vessel recognition, certainly over the next few weeks as I am in the throes of moving house down to the West Country. Your input to this site, certainly as far as BP tanker men are concerned will be invaluable.
Kind regards,
John.
John,

I have no problem with the avatar.

You are right about no assistance from BP but not for the reasons you would imagine.

The problem was Middlemiss. The then (since ousted) CEO believed all his promises and signed a contract for this "wonderful book" he was to produce and for that he was given unrestricted access to BP archive at Warwick University.

When we made an approach with our work the door was closed because of the contract with Middlemiss (Muddlemouse as I have also heard mentioned), despite our contact in BP acknowledging the true value of our work by comparison. His hands were tied unfortunately.

Anyway thats water under the bridge. Our publisher has since done a second print run such is the demand.

As far as photos are concerned, there were some we reluctantly had to remove as the publisher squeezed the size down to his limits.

The ship plans etc in the front section were either full or half page when we submitted and the section also had numerous colour photos all of which became B&W. It was originally 640 pages before all the ship images and text were shrunk.

Bill

trucker
24th October 2008, 19:20
browsing through the tanker photo gallery,came across a photo of the british kiwi.it was being fitted out at barry docks for the north sea.sailed on her march to nov. 1969. tyne dry dock.i.o.g ,gulf,red sea ports,india,o.z and n.z.had a bad galley fire ,lyttleton,n.z.put out by local fire brigade [oil burning stoves].went to dunedin for repairs.paid off bombay,where they changed over to asian crew. good ship,food and crew.

trucker
26th October 2008, 13:24
years ago i remember the rumour going around was ,the lads on the british workman were painting in her name.some lads with a sense of humour changed her name on the a--e end to the british workhouse. fact or fiction.?

DAVELECKIE
26th October 2008, 18:38
years ago i remember the rumour going around was ,the lads on the british workman were painting in her name.some lads with a sense of humour changed her name on the a--e end to the british workhouse. fact or fiction.?

My understanding was that this was true!

Dave

trucker
26th October 2008, 19:21
another request,any one out there remember a scottish engineer with b.p. who used to play the bagpipes.at the time i was on the british security [definately 1972].he used to play us in and out of port,standing on the monkey island. 2/e.this is no wind up.(Thumb)

James_C
26th October 2008, 19:28
Indeed. I think it was mentioned that at some point during the same voyage she was flying a Jolly Roger!

trucker
26th October 2008, 20:01
Indeed. I think it was mentioned that at some point during the same voyage she was flying a Jolly Roger!

no just the red duster,like the rest of the fleet.

James_C
26th October 2008, 20:18
no just the red duster,like the rest of the fleet.

Trucker,
I meant that she was flying the Jolly Roger as an addition to everything else, apparently whilst sailing up the Channel. I believe Stuart Le Fevre was 2/O at the time. The story is documented elsewhere on the site.
Apparently her name was altered in Suez, discovered on arrival at the Isle of Pain (Grain) with the result that the entire Deck Crowd were Double DR'd.

gadgee
26th October 2008, 21:35
Trucker
Small world because I must have sailed with you on the Kiwi. I joined her in the Tyne on March 14th 1969 and paid off at Aden on 27th July 1969 whilst she was loading for NZ. Captains were Waller and Willis, Chief Mate was S. Duncan who had his wife with him. I was a first trip uncert 3rd Mate.

trucker
26th October 2008, 23:22
Trucker
Small world because I must have sailed with you on the Kiwi. I joined her in the Tyne on March 14th 1969 and paid off at Aden on 27th July 1969 whilst she was loading for NZ. Captains were Waller and Willis, Chief Mate was S. Duncan who had his wife with him. I was a first trip uncert 3rd Mate.

yes we must have sailed together.remember chief mate[mr duncan].,and his wife.great mate,genuinely good sailing with him as mate.his wife used to keep him(Thumb) in line.used to look foreward to tank cleaning on the kiwi.?as after wards mate used to give good measure of tank cleaning rum.

twogrumpy
27th October 2008, 07:46
another request,any one out there remember a scottish engineer with b.p. who used to play the bagpipes.at the time i was on the british security [definately 1972].he used to play us in and out of port,standing on the monkey island. 2/e.this is no wind up.(Thumb)

Bill Christie
(Cloud)

arfabuck
12th December 2008, 22:59

Half true. She was in Aarhus or Aalborg? and was having a quick paint job of the rust patches before returning to I.O.G. One clown attempted to paint over the starboard bow name and change it to 'Workhouse' as the myth has been passed on down the years.

Overpainting with a roller brush at the end of a long stick does not make for very tidy printing! The mate saw it anyway when he was checking the draft fore and aft before sailing and had it removed. Spoilsport.(Jester)

Art

uskside
3rd July 2009, 23:05

Sailed on Beacon july 1960 December 1960, and her sister ship British Signal 1961

Uskside

Graham Wallace
4th July 2009, 06:14
Sailed on Beacon july 1960 December 1960, and her sister ship British Signal 1961

Uskside

The Signal is listed leaving drydock between Feb/March 1961, I have the relevant page, were you on her then? Incidentally she is on the list next to the Queen( ref our other thread regarding the Queen)

I sailed on the Light 31/3 to 10/11 she was the sister ship to the Beacon and Signal, built at Ansaldo yard

Graham

Bill Hay
17th July 2009, 02:53
Giving my age away, but I was 2nd Engineer on the British Resolution about 1957 when we converted her to a big-game fishing boat in the Gulf of Mexico.
To elucidate: we had stopped to "do a unit" and the master and chief engineer who were keen angling buddies thought it would be fun to stream a meat hook over the stern when we started up again to see what they could catch. On completion of rhe engine work we "test ran" the engine without reference to logs or telegraphs. I was on the controls and a relay of junior engineers called out messages from the happy anglers......up 3 revs.....down 2....hold her there. This speed adjustment was to keep the bait floating at the right level.
Eureka they hooked a shark! The Deck Serang who I think had some previous experience got a lasso round the tail of the brute and it was winched on to the poop deck where all 2-3 metres of it, snapping jaws and all scared everybody witless until our Deck Serang proved himself again by dispatching it with a fire axe.
As we formally got under weigh again someone kindly brought the still beating heart from the shark and placed it in the palm of my hand......quite a sensation
Bill Hay

Dickyboy
17th July 2009, 04:13
Hiya Trucker
There's a thread called 'Black Watch Piper' where I asked the same question. Some info on there.
I was on the Kiwi coast with Bill Christie when he used to pipe us into various ports down there.
I was on the Security in 72 as well.
Dickyboy

george jackson
17th July 2009, 09:27

Uskside
I joined the Beacon as 4E 16 July 1960 and left January 20 1961. e had a nice little holiday in Genoa for repairs during that time. Which department were you in? G.Jackson

GeoffreyBH
23rd October 2012, 14:20
Hiya Trucker
There's a thread called 'Black Watch Piper' where I asked the same question. Some info on there.
I was on the Kiwi coast with Bill Christie when he used to pipe us into various ports down there.
I was on the Security in 72 as well.
Dickyboy
In the late 50s in British Realm (I think) we had a Radio Operator who piped the ship in and out of harbour. I seem to remember his name as Strathearn.

chris dalquen
31st October 2012, 09:46

my first port
blew the manifold joint taking forty thousand tons of bunkers for kargh half the ship black half white port midships life boat full to the brim with bunkers had to ask myself if this was a good occupation to start with this was on british power 1970

chris dalquen
31st October 2012, 09:51
Bill Christie
(Cloud)

was that alec ross

stevekelly10
31st October 2012, 12:13
my first port
blew the manifold joint taking forty thousand tons of bunkers for kargh half the ship black half white port midships life boat full to the brim with bunkers had to ask myself if this was a good occupation to start with this was on british power 1970

Hi Chris

It was my first trip on British Power in 1970 as an E/C and I remember well being on watch with you and the 3rd eng Adrian Dodd. It was you that taught me the art of sootblowing, using a broom handle to hold the cam follower in place. Horrible job :)

chris dalquen
1st November 2012, 07:47
Hi Chris

It was my first trip on British Power in 1970 as an E/C and I remember well being on watch with you and the 3rd eng Adrian Dodd. It was you that taught me the art of sootblowing, using a broom handle to hold the cam follower in place. Horrible job :)

hell Steve it was a pretty hot job on there mate 2 J cloths round your mouth26 soot blowers if i remember rightlythat used to try an rear out of the boiler at you
Most folks wouldnt do it today and i guess health and safety wouldnt be too happy iether

John Bryson
13th November 2012, 09:21
Hi Chris,
Power: Babcock selectable slagheap double casing with diamond air sootblowers piece of piss!
Judge: Foster Wheeler ESD II single casing with clyde blowers. Klinger 1000 armour and a bucket over your head now that was a job!

I've only recently stumbled on this site and its certainly jogged the memory.Good to see the Pot mender is still going strong.

chris dalquen
13th November 2012, 09:32
Hi Chris,
Power: Babcock selectable slagheap double casing with diamond air sootblowers piece of piss!
Judge: Foster Wheeler ESD II single casing with clyde blowers. Klinger 1000 armour and a bucket over your head now that was a job!

I've only recently stumbled on this site and its certainly jogged the memory.Good to see the Pot mender is still going strong.

Hi John How youi doin yes im still livin but retired now brit star had clydes all wiring burnt out with soot fires blow tubes with bucket over head collapse into crew allyway by gally after blowing top ones used to be the order of the day if i remember rightly Senior had to help J/E or the poor bugger would have died

twogrumpy
13th November 2012, 16:12
Not sure what ship, but allegedly a super asked one of the engineers if he had any suggestions that would improve the soot blowing arrangements on the ship, extended spindles into the firemans and AB's alley ways was the reply.

2G
(Thumb)

Graham Wallace
13th November 2012, 17:13
Hi Chris,

Hi John,

Welcome to the site. Ex 1967 BP Engineering Cadet, Trust1970 onwards, I will send you a shipsnostalgia email.

Graham Wallace ( 1955 EA)

chris dalquen
14th November 2012, 07:09
Not sure what ship, but allegedly a super asked one of the engineers if he had any suggestions that would improve the soot blowing arrangements on the ship, extended spindles into the firemans and AB's alley ways was the reply.

2G
(Thumb)

well it certainly appears as though we all loved soot blowing . This thread sure brings back a lot of memories, the older ships with the FD fans in the top of the boiler room didnt really blow fresh air into the boilers they only re circulated smoke haha

mpr41410
6th January 2013, 11:24
Willie Christy, I sailed with him can't remember which ship but his piping was restricted to piping in new years day at the top of the ER, I think I was 3/e and had kittens at the horrible noise, not being warned etc pretty sure it was the br holly.