QE2 round Britain route

gaelsail
21st September 2008, 13:40
Hi

Does anyone know what route the QE2 takes from Greenock before she goes round the top? I'd like to take some photographs but am not sure where best to see her... other than the Clyde & Forth.

Thanks

John Williams 56-65
21st September 2008, 14:33
Hi

Does anyone know what route the QE2 takes from Greenock before she goes round the top? I'd like to take some photographs but am not sure where best to see her... other than the Clyde & Forth.

Thanks

Gaelsail; Having done this journey several times on Scottish National Trust Cruises in the early sixties I think you won`t have many problems if you open your atlas and take your cue from there. Obviously with a ship of that size searoom and depth of water has to be a consideration, QE2 is unlikely to take the same route that we took on Devonia which was a much smaller vessel. I have no idea what the itinerary for this voyage is but would assume that the scenic route would be the one most likely. Much of the route we took had plenty of depth of water and although some of the passages are fairly narrow they are no more narrow than some of the Norwegian ffiords. We would leave Greenock and head down between the various islands in the Firth of Clyde and go a little further south than we really needed to to take a look at Ailsa Craig then across to the Mull of Kintyre.Then north through to Sound of Jura, then west to skirt round the Isle of Mull to visit Staffa to take a look at Fingals cave. We then headed for the Kyle of Lochalsh between the Isle of Skye and the Scottish mainland. I think that route is out nowadays as there is now a bridge over to Skye which wasn`t built in my time. After that it is a case of picking some convenient headland and hope you have your timing right and the ship comes close enough to make it all worth while.
Best of luck with your photography.

peter83
21st September 2008, 14:55
Try Cunards web site I thank her ports of call are listed - Peter

gaelsail
21st September 2008, 16:24
Try Cunards web site I thank her ports of call are listed
Thanks for the suggestion but there are no stops between Greenock & Rosyth. I am hoping to persuade some of our local yacht owners to take me out and see her somewhere around Mull.

gaelsail
21st September 2008, 16:39
Gaelsail; Having done this journey several times on Scottish National Trust Cruises in the early sixties I think you won`t have many problems if you open your atlas and take your cue from there.
Good idea...

I'm not too sure whether she'll go through the Minch or not- she may go over towards St Kilda- perhaps even depending on the weather conditions.

If I miss her here, I can always find some sort of excuse to go over to Edinburgh. :)

Paul UK
21st September 2008, 20:50
I intend to see her leave Southampton for the last time 11/11/08 18.00

I would think there will be a crowd.

Paul

Ps there was when Canberra left and there was little notice.

Fairfield
23rd September 2008, 13:54
That was deliberate was it not-did she not go at night for scrap to avoid any backlash about preserving her.

samuel j
23rd September 2008, 14:10
Shes coming here to Cobh on the 1st of October. Big crowds expected to see her in/out, lots planned in the town for her visit. She has been here before at anchor off Roches Point and in Ringaskiddy. This will be her first time actually berthing at Cobh and swinging off Cobh
Hope to sneek out of work to see her coming in

gaelsail
1st October 2008, 15:35
Shes coming here to Cobh on the 1st of October. Big crowds expected to see her in/out, lots planned in the town for her visit. She has been here before at anchor off Roches Point and in Ringaskiddy. This will be her first time actually berthing at Cobh and swinging off Cobh
Hope to sneek out of work to see her coming in

I hadn't been aware of the rescheduling and, for some reason, glanced at the Cork webcam just in time to see her arriving.

samuel j
1st October 2008, 19:07
She came straight in today and berthed Starboard sided to in a gusty old day here with 30kts....great job done by all getting her in.
Will swing tomorrow at 1800 off Cobh. Great plans for tomorrow with bands etc. shoreside to see her off.
Great buzz in town here with many coming from Cork cityh down to see her.

Paul UK
1st October 2008, 19:36
Sorry for the delay but yes politics about her scrapping I also think that at the time she was owned by Abbey National.

Paul

That was deliberate was it not-did she not go at night for scrap to avoid any backlash about preserving her.