Mahseer

Pilot mac
6th July 2005, 17:43
I vaguely recall an incident off Aqaba, Jordan during the early part of 1972.
Mahseer was at anchor, discharging general into barges. I believe there had been a fatality on board and something tells me in the back of my mind that it was the agent? Can anyone recollect?

regards
Dave MacVicker

R798780
13th July 2005, 13:27
I vaguely recall an incident off Aqaba, Jordan during the early part of 1972.
Mahseer was at anchor, discharging general into barges. I believe there had been a fatality on board and something tells me in the back of my mind that it was the agent? Can anyone recollect?

regards
Dave MacVicker

It was the agent who died, heart attack on the boat deck. A day or two earlier he had taken the old man, Sam Baxter ashore for dinner together with my wife and the purser's (John Gibson) wife. Aqaba was a catalogue of disasters. We had been discharging alongside, had been discharging drums of Octel from No 1 orlop and they dropped one. It didn't burst open, those drums were double skinned I think, but it did leak. The Shri Lankan fourth mate was on the ball, evacuated the hatch. Then we were moved out to anchor. We had to get the experts out from Ellesmere Port to deal with it. I got a good job, squeeze over the cargo in the deep tank, wearing BA, while the boffins burned off the spillage with an oxy-acetylene torch. Where the flame went white Octel changed from an organic lead compound to an inorganic one. That was better they said. Lovely stuff, Octel, kills you in about four different ways and if that's not enough, forms an explosive mix in air. Made cars go better though!