Starboard turn

prataprathore
25th September 2008, 21:09
Hiii to all,
Can anybody help me on ques.
Why starboard turn is preferred in COLREG...?
Does it have any relation with "Transverse Thrust"...

Hugh Ferguson
25th September 2008, 21:44
It's all to do with which side of the ship the red side-light was carried. Ships with propellors inherited that arrangement from the sailing ship era, and consequently it has nothing to do with transverse thrust.

prataprathore
29th September 2008, 06:04
Thnx a lot, Sir! for quick reply.

JimC
29th September 2008, 15:46
It probably is inherited from sailing ship days.
An example might be two sailing ships approaching each other end on or nearly end on (coming directly at each other) and having the wind abeam on opposite sides i.e. one is on the port tack and the other on the starboard tack. Obviously each has to alter course to starboard to keep clear of the other. If not, the vessel with the wind on the starboard tack would just keep chasing the other one. The situation changes when the wind is anything but abeam for both vessels and there are specific rules governing each situation.

Cheers,

Jim.

pete
29th September 2008, 18:34
Red to Red or Green to Green the finest sight you've ever seen,

But if two lights you see in front, Full ahead and...........................pete (Jester)

pete
29th September 2008, 18:59
On a more serious note, transverse thrust is something that should be put into the equation of Shiphandling. A left handed prop vessel DOES handle differently to the norm. I have seen one or two pilots mess things up when berthing/unberthing some American tankers......................pete

R798780
29th September 2008, 19:35
Altering to starboard might stop helmsmen from knocking seven bells out of each other as they passed, using the steering oar on the steerboard side. Just a spurious thought that crossed my bow.

andysk
30th September 2008, 14:06
A variant on Pete's offering :

Green to Green and Red to Red
Keeps the Old Man comfy in bed !

andysk
30th September 2008, 14:08
On a more serious note, transverse thrust is something that should be put into the equation of Shiphandling. A left handed prop vessel DOES handle differently to the norm. I have seen one or two pilots mess things up when berthing/unberthing some American tankers......................pete

Can someone clarify then - do American ships have props turning the opposite way to the rest of the world ?

ROBERT HENDERSON
30th September 2008, 14:19
Green to green, red to red
perfect safety, go ahead
if in danger or in doubt,
get the bloody whiskey out.

Robert

pete
30th September 2008, 17:20
Robert, I'll drink to that!!(Pint) With reference to Left Handed props I'm certain that Petroking and Petroqueen suffered that indignity and according to some Singapore Pilots so did a few others (Cloud) (EEK)

Ken Green
30th September 2008, 17:42
Green to red and red to green
Perfect safety-- go between!
CRUNCH.

pete
30th September 2008, 17:48
I have to confess to many "Senior Moments" and have been racking my brains for the name of a South Pacific Island. At Last!!! Ghizo or Gizo. No Pilot, restricted space and a running moor. then tie the back-end up to the nearest Palm Tree (and if you think this is BS contact any Bank Line Man on this site and they will confirm).

Popped in there on the Forresbank to pick up the usual coconuts when it was time to leave, picked up the anchors and POOF no bl**dy engine. Had to turn Short round when that bl**dy Doxford started again. Without Transverse thrust I don't know if we would have made it........My little bit of blowing my own Trumpet...........................pete

China hand
30th September 2008, 21:01
I have to confess to many "Senior Moments" and have been racking my brains for the name of a South Pacific Island. At Last!!! Ghizo or Gizo. No Pilot, restricted space and a running moor. then tie the back-end up to the nearest Palm Tree (and if you think this is BS contact any Bank Line Man on this site and they will confirm).

Popped in there on the Forresbank to pick up the usual coconuts when it was time to leave, picked up the anchors and POOF no bl**dy engine. Had to turn Short round when that bl**dy Doxford started again. Without Transverse thrust I don't know if we would have made it........My little bit of blowing my own Trumpet...........................pete

Uncle John Appleby wud have said, Oh well, me **** is out the window now, which way to Samarai, Mike ?

China hand

pete
30th September 2008, 21:54
Sailed with Capt. John on the Speybank 5/11/74 to 4/5/75. Darned good ships Master and I never heard him use a naughty word once (2 or 3 times maybe) Nice Bloke......................pete

China hand
30th September 2008, 22:23
Sailed with Capt. John on the Speybank 5/11/74 to 4/5/75. Darned good ships Master and I never heard him use a naughty word once (2 or 3 times maybe) Nice Bloke......................pete

One of the best. At his funeral the entire churchyard wall was occupied by Vietnamese kids sitting n watching. Lump in my throat n even Capt Mann was speechless. Ch h