What Ship ?

geoff smith 1932
28th September 2008, 14:58
I am seeking information regarding a Cunard passenger ship that was berthed in Montreal on Sunday 13th of August 1967.She sailed for home on the following day.Please help if you can.
Geoff.

Santos
28th September 2008, 20:07
Geoff

In May 1967, Sir Basil Smallpiece (Cunard's chairman) announced the withdrawal of all Cunard liners apart from Carmania and Franconia, so I would think that it was one of these two. I will stick my neck out here and suggest that it was in fact Franconia which I understand did a cruise to Canada in the summer of 1967. However she was doing the New York to Bermuda Cruises at the time with this one diversion to Canada.

What Carmania was up to I dont know.

I stand to be corrected of course. (Thumb)

Chris.

geoff smith 1932
29th September 2008, 15:13
Santos.
Thanks for rapid response.I am now quite certain that it was Franconia
In 1967 Cunard chartered two Moss Hutchison vessels for the Great Lakes service,they were Amarna,renamed Assyria,and Kypros renamed Aurania.
I had the good fortune to be flown to Montreal to replace a sick member of the crew of Aurania.I arrived about a week before the ship and was very well taken care of by Cunard including one nights B&B on the ship in question.I then spent the remainder of the time sightseeing (I had to report to the RCMP daily) The voyage around the Lakes was supurb and included a day at Niagara Falls.
Thanks again
Geoff.

Santos
29th September 2008, 18:44
You are very welcome Geoff, glad I could be of help.

Chris.

Dickyboy
30th June 2009, 11:59
I am seeking information regarding a Cunard passenger ship that was berthed in Montreal on Sunday 13th of August 1967.She sailed for home on the following day.Please help if you can.
Geoff.
It was The Franconia, I paid off her just prior to her cruise up there, which was specifically to visit 'Expo 67'

pensioner
2nd July 2009, 16:56
I hope that I'm not talking out of turn! but that ship could have been Carinthia. WHAT!!! I hear somebody say. The reason I suggest this is that looking in my Dis. Bk. I see I signed on in L/pool 19/07/67 and off 29/08/67. Due to my father being hospitalised I only did 2 round trips of 21 days. We arrived in Montreal on Fridays and left Monday, as this was the time of EXPO 67 we were being used as a hotel ship for those passengers who made the round trip. Can you remember the Hull Colour, I belive at that time Franconia's was a light green - ours black. If I'm wrong put down to age.[=P] [=P]

regards

ALAN TYLER
6th July 2009, 14:32
I hope that I'm not talking out of turn! but that ship could have been Carinthia. WHAT!!! I hear somebody say. The reason I suggest this is that looking in my Dis. Bk. I see I signed on in L/pool 19/07/67 and off 29/08/67. Due to my father being hospitalised I only did 2 round trips of 21 days. We arrived in Montreal on Fridays and left Monday, as this was the time of EXPO 67 we were being used as a hotel ship for those passengers who made the round trip. Can you remember the Hull Colour, I belive at that time Franconia's was a light green - ours black. If I'm wrong put down to age.[=P] [=P]

regards

I was on the Carinthia at this time as well, she was still on the Montreal run, her last trip being when she sailed from the Pierhead on October 13th 1967 finally paying off on Dec 10th in Southampton. She was one of the few Cunarders to keep her hull black throughout.
I had the pleasure of sailing in her for over 2 years.

pensioner
6th July 2009, 17:24
(Jester) Hi Alan I MUST have eaten some of your culinary delights, I think the two years I was on that wonderful vessel I put on 2 stones(weight), hope you were not totally responsible. (Thumb) (Thumb)

regards

peter johnston
8th July 2009, 23:11
hello guys ! just to confirm that Franconia was in montreal for the expo on that said date..and a gorgous nurse i took in tow from st catherine street,helped me up the gangway with a kiss ,and a pat on the back ...to sail back to new york and resume our New York -Bermuda run....however ,the Carmania was also berthed in montreal as well as the Carinthia! and which one left for home ..i scratch my head ,and the plot now thickens,,but the carmania was in white livery!

ALAN TYLER
11th July 2009, 11:03
(Jester) Hi Alan I MUST have eaten some of your culinary delights, I think the two years I was on that wonderful vessel I put on 2 stones(weight), hope you were not totally responsible. (Thumb) (Thumb)

regards

Hi Pensioner, Sorry about the weight increase, but I doubt its down to me unless you ate alot of bread and pastries as I worked in the Bakehouse down in the bowels of this great vessel. Happy Days...

ALAN TYLER
11th July 2009, 11:24
hello guys ! just to confirm that Franconia was in montreal for the expo on that said date..and a gorgous nurse i took in tow from st catherine street,helped me up the gangway with a kiss ,and a pat on the back ...to sail back to new york and resume our New York -Bermuda run....however ,the Carmania was also berthed in montreal as well as the Carinthia! and which one left for home ..i scratch my head ,and the plot now thickens,,but the carmania was in white livery!

Hi Peter, I would say it was the Carinthia that sailed for home as the Sylvania had finished on the Atlantic crossings the previous year. As I was on the Carinthia at the time of Expo 67, I can,t recall actually staying in Montreal longer than usual. Although the book " Liners of Liverpool" does state that Carinthia, Carmania, Sylvania and Franconia were used as "hotel" accomodation during the Expo. Has this diluted the plot!!!!
Regards Alan.

pensioner
11th July 2009, 17:31
Hi Alan, we used to enjoy your delights at smoko, when on daywork, one of our greazers either Bob Mac! or Snowy would collect them with the tea and it would be a free for all to get them. We would have them in the Leckie's w/shop, on the cross ally, off the working Alleyway. if I remember correctly your place was on the Portside of the Galley. During Expo we stayed in Montreal from Friday 08:00 Local time to 18:00 Monday.

rgds.

peter johnston
16th July 2009, 00:33
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! as always,when the talk of smoko and tabnabs,and culinary delights are mentioned ..all sense and sensibility of the current topic of conversation goes out of the porthole! albeit ..port or starboard side.....ref expo 67 Montreal....the Franconia's livery was white ,and not 3 pastel shades of green!........Hmmmmmmmmm plot thickens even more.just like the soup on the Carinthia!,,,,,,,,,,,Down the hatch!