Mary Holt

Eric Walter
3rd October 2008, 17:27
Following posted by 'mclean' 1st Oct in "Brocklebank Photo's" thread:-

"Eric, I was Third Mate on the Mary Holt,when we sailed from Liverpool on 23 July 1964. Arrived back in Liverpool on 28 September 1964. Unfortunately my memory for names and faces is terrible, however do remember Trevor Williams, a great bloke. Willie Harrison was Master. Regards Colin"

Thanks for the memories Colin. I was a Brocklebank apprentice but did my first two trips on the Mary Holt when you were Third Mate. It was a happy ship. People I remember are Captain William Harrison, Trevor Williams was mate on the first trip but cannot remember the name of the regular Guinea Gulf mate who returned for the second trip that ended 4pm Tilbury, Christmas Eve 1964. The second mate ( whose picture is in your gallery) was very laid back and called Joe Culligan/Corrigan???. I seem to think the sparks was John Guthrie. The senior apprentice was Graham Murray from Old Roan, Liverpool. Sadly I only remember one engineer, who was also a Brock man. He was a small, fair haired Geordie, wore glasses, called Jack ??? Seem to remember he was J 3rd or 4th. He was keen to tell me about who hung the monkey and introduced me to the Lampton Worm. Sadly I still remember the chorus. The purser was called McAndrew I think. He ran the solo whist school every night and woe betide anyone who played a wrong card. Post mortems could last longer than the games. She was a white crew ship , except for stewards. Bosun was well liked by all but can't remember his name. Lamptrimmer was called Reg.

On our first trip we carried two dogs, labradors I think. One day they escaped from their kennel and ended up in the wheelhouse during Trevor Williams watch. Apparently the usually calm, unflappable Trevor was charging round the wheelhouse and bridge wings trying unsuccessfully to catch them and getting more irate by the minute. The situation became much worse when the sailor on the wheel (the Mary Holt had no auto pilot) said, "Oh leave 'em sir, they've only come up for the dog watch."

Great ship and great times

Eric

stan mayes
3rd October 2008, 18:04
Hello Eric
Captain Harrison left Guinea Gulf and was one of the first Masters in United Arab Co when it was founded.
The Lamptrimmer was Reg Sawyer and an AB was Jack Price both from Gravesend..They sailed in Mary Holt all through 1964/65.
Sadly both have crossed the bar.
Stan

mclean
3rd October 2008, 18:54
Eric,notice Stan has responded to you regarding Reg and Jack. Stan has a great knowledge of Guinea Gulf, Palm Line and ED,s.Yes Joe was very laid back and a nice fellow,who was quite happy to remain as 2nd. Mate. You mention arriving Tilbury on Xmas eve 1964.You may recall that we were in Rotterdam on the 23rd. Willie Harrison had given me complete freedom during the evening of the 23rd. to ensure that the discharge of the deep tanks was completed in record time to ensure our earliest departure from Rotterdam to arrive Tilbury for xmas eve. Large volumes of the hard stuff were consumed by the shore superintendents (ships supply) which greatly assisted the early departure from Rotterdam am on 24th. Believe most made it home for xmas, I electing to stay as was single at the time. Bst Regards Colin

Eric Walter
4th October 2008, 10:06
Hello Eric
Captain Harrison left Guinea Gulf and was one of the first Masters in United Arab Co when it was founded.
The Lamptrimmer was Reg Sawyer and an AB was Jack Price both from Gravesend..They sailed in Mary Holt all through 1964/65.
Sadly both have crossed the bar.
Stan

Stan,

Thank you for your information regarding crew members. I cannot remember Jack Price but have clear memories of Reg Sawyer. He was able to remain calm, unruffled and amicable even when a junior apprentice turned up with paint and brushes after he had tidied and locked up his store for the day. I know, I was that apprentice.

Regards,

Eric

Eric Walter
5th October 2008, 21:53
Eric,notice Stan has responded to you regarding Reg and Jack. Stan has a great knowledge of Guinea Gulf, Palm Line and ED,s.Yes Joe was very laid back and a nice fellow,who was quite happy to remain as 2nd. Mate. You mention arriving Tilbury on Xmas eve 1964.You may recall that we were in Rotterdam on the 23rd. Willie Harrison had given me complete freedom during the evening of the 23rd. to ensure that the discharge of the deep tanks was completed in record time to ensure our earliest departure from Rotterdam to arrive Tilbury for xmas eve. Large volumes of the hard stuff were consumed by the shore superintendents (ships supply) which greatly assisted the early departure from Rotterdam am on 24th. Believe most made it home for xmas, I electing to stay as was single at the time. Bst Regards Colin

Colin,

Yes, I remember the occasion. Seem to remember it was palm oil, no. 4 deep tanks, loaded in Lagos. Were we bound for the UK when we received orders to discharge the palm oil at Rotterdam or was it loaded at the last minute in Lagos for Rotterdam? I think it was one or the other.
Made it home (Great Harwood,Lancs) just before midnight on Christmas Eve. Mad dash to Tilbury Station, train to Fenchurch Street, across to Euston. I think I caught the last train north, standing room only all the way to Preston. The taxi fare from Preston to home accounted for most of the money I paid off with.

Happy Days????

Eric

Eric Walter
6th October 2008, 19:40
[QUOTE=Eric Walter;252398
Colin,
Yes, I remember the occasion. Seem to remember it was palm oil, no. 4 deep tanks, loaded in Lagos.

Colin,

I think I am mistaken about the deep tanks being in no. 4 hold. Can you remember the number and layout of the holds?
Were no's 1 and 2 on the foredeck, 4 and 5 on the after deck and a no. 3, containing the deep tanks, on a higher deck towards the rear of the midships accomodation?

Apologies if you are already aware but the Mary Holt only lasted 15 years. Completed 10/59. In 1965 ED's got rid, along with the other GG ships, because steamships were not a part of their future plans. Renamed 'Sipsah' after a river in the then East Pakistan, so presume she was sold to Pakistanis. During the civil war she was reported in the New York Times 16/10/71 to have unloaded crates of North Korean small arms and ammunition at Karachi (Sadly reminds me somewhat of Nicholas Monsarrat's "The ShipThat Died Of Shame"). She ended up at Gadani Beach 02/75.

Regards

Eric

stan mayes
6th October 2008, 20:45
A short life for such a fine ship!.
One of the best ships ever to sail from Tilbury.
Nice memories of her...
Stan

mclean
7th October 2008, 01:24
Eric, glad you made it home that xmas eve. Seem to recall there was a mad dash for taxis that afternoon. She had four holds two ford and two aft of accomadation, with the deep tank ford of no.three hold. Cannot recall if the discharge rotation was changed but deep down it rings a bell. Yes, i am aware of her short life with GG, and what a shame. For the record, following ports and dates for that voyage....Liverpool oct.20...Milford Haven oct21/22...freetown oct23/nov3....Lagos nov7/10...Victoria nov11....Port Harcourt nov14/20...Sapele Nov22/27... Lagos Nov28/30...Abidjan Dec3/5...Freetown dec.9/11... Rotterdam dec.23/24...Tilbury dec.24th. Bst. Rgds. Colin

mclean
7th October 2008, 01:27
Hello Stan. Possibly the BEST ship to sail from Tilbury. Bst Rgds. Colin

stan mayes
7th October 2008, 12:51
I can't argue against that Colin!
I checked my work diary... I worked on Mary Holt from her arrival and through to 16th Jan 1965.I then went to another ship.
I believe Mary Holt sailed the following day.
During those times the dockers worked on daywork plus overtime.
Not unusual to have a 16 to 20 day turnround for discharge and load.
Kind regards Stan

eldersuk
8th October 2008, 00:21
Mary Holt alongside plywood berth at Sapele.

mclean
8th October 2008, 01:54
Eldersuk, I actually took that particular photograph. Rgds. Colin

eldersuk
9th October 2008, 00:07
Sorry if I'm stealing your thunder (and photograph) mclean. I had no idea where it came from. It was mixed up with a collection of about 400 pictures of Elders ships which I have been collecting over the years.

Derek

mclean
9th October 2008, 00:33
Derek. No need to be sorry.Glad that you liked the photo.Bst rgds. Colin