Mystery.

KenLin39
5th October 2008, 16:13
Hi all. I have a photo which is stored as a thumbnail of the Transvaal Castle, she is shown in thumbnail going from left to right but on opening the photo she is shown going from right to left. Can anyone explain how this is happening as its the only photo I have doing this. Cheers. Ken.

K urgess
5th October 2008, 16:17
Is this in the SN Gallery or on your PC, Ken?

charles henry
5th October 2008, 20:49
Hi all. I have a photo which is stored as a thumbnail of the Transvaal Castle, she is shown in thumbnail going from left to right but on opening the photo she is shown going from right to left. Can anyone explain how this is happening as its the only photo I have doing this. Cheers. Ken.

For gosh sakes Ken its obvious that she got what she was going for and is on her way back
de chas(Pint)

Tony D
5th October 2008, 21:19
probably the way it was printed turn the negative around and hey presto!left and right reversed ,a well know photograph of Billy the Kid exists that showed him wearing a pistol on the left that is what started the myth that Mr Bonney was left handed,he weren't he was a right handed chap twere the way the neg was printed.
oops sorry should have read yer post more carefully,I have a utility on my image viewer that allows pictures to be rotated left right clockwise anti clockwise ect,summat to do with this kind of thing perchance?

KenLin39
6th October 2008, 01:52
Is this in the SN Gallery or on your PC, Ken?

Its on my PC saved in Docs. Ken.

K urgess
6th October 2008, 14:06
Some files have thumbnails saved within them but most programs produce a thumbnail from the original.
The only thing I can think of is that the former is the case and at some time the full size one has been reversed or vice versa. I can't think of a software package that reverses thumbnails off hand.
I've never seen this sort of thing before so I haven't really got a clue.
Cheers
Kris

John Crossland
7th October 2008, 01:22
Hi Ken,

In the past I've had a photo of a particular ship saved in My Documents, and the thumbnail of it showing a completely different ship.
It led to a few hairy moments, then it disappeared after a while, thumbnail reverted to correct ship. No explanation !!!
Still it doesn't help you out, except to say, maybe it will go away like mine did.

KenLin39
8th October 2008, 17:36
Some files have thumbnails saved within them but most programs produce a thumbnail from the original.
The only thing I can think of is that the former is the case and at some time the full size one has been reversed or vice versa. I can't think of a software package that reverses thumbnails off hand.
I've never seen this sort of thing before so I haven't really got a clue.
Cheers
Kris

hi Kris.Have just sent the Transvaal Castle photo to myself and it is the same, going one way in thumbnail and the other way when opened. If you wish to try it pm me. Ken.

K urgess
8th October 2008, 18:02
I've just sent you a PM, Ken.
Cheers
Kris

andysk
15th October 2008, 14:15
Hi Ken,

In the past I've had a photo of a particular ship saved in My Documents, and the thumbnail of it showing a completely different ship.
It led to a few hairy moments, then it disappeared after a while, thumbnail reverted to correct ship. No explanation !!!
Still it doesn't help you out, except to say, maybe it will go away like mine did.

This happened to me when I had scanned about 1000 slides into 4 separate folders, there was no resemblance between the thumbnails and the actual picture ! I resaved each of the 4 folders and the problem went away !

I haven't a clue what was going on, but that saved me redoing them all, about 130 hours work !