Did we have rice?

Philthechill
5th October 2008, 22:05
I know this is (probably) one of the dafter threads I've posted!!

I made myself a curry to-day and, as usual, I chopped some onions and tomato's up, to put on my curry, along with mango chutney, dessicated coconut and currants.

Normally I prepare some rice as well but what with the "extra's" I'd just prepared realised that it would be quite a substantial amount of nosebag!

I then got to thinking, "When we were served-up with the lunch-time curry, in Brock's, did we get rice as well?", and I can't remember if we did or not!

I think we didn't but I could well be wrong so could anyone enlighten me please! On the strength of my thinking we didn't I had me curry sans rice! Bot atcha it was too! Unfortunately there wasn't any Tennents to wash it down with so had to settle for Stella! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

sparkie2182
5th October 2008, 23:06
yep........we sure did Phil.

always better than any i have had since.........pure white and every grain
an individual unto itself.

:)

what i miss most are the Curried spicy meatballs the bhandari used to serve me up specially when i fixed his tv.................
i should have asked him for the recipe but having seen what went into some of his boiling curry pots........maybe its as well i didnt.

Best regards Phil mate

Sparkie2182

trotterdotpom
6th October 2008, 01:45
Is "Bot Atcha" what it did to your underpants?

John T.

Philthechill
6th October 2008, 08:26
Sparkie! First and foremost thanks for putting my mind at rest re. "did we have rice?" One of my favourite Brock curries was China Chiloe, the minced beef with a few peas scattered on top! M-m-m-m-m-m! My mouth's drooling now just thinking about it!!

However what used to be a great favourite, of everyone, was when we were in Chalna loading jute and you'd get some of the local yokels come out to the ship flogging live chickens etc. (I never ceased marvelling at how they'd paddle-out from the shore, which you could barely see it was so far away, to the ship in a very primitive canoe which was loaded well below its marks with all the family, Mum and several children, plus half-a-dozen chickens). For a few old, worn-out files, from the engine-room, we'd get the chickens, hand them over to the bandari who would convert them into a big dixie full of chicken-curry! Fabulous!! Ah memories, memories!!!!

Anyway I digress!!

I've perfected a method of cooking rice and it's much admired by anyone who samples it!!

First requisite is to use Basmati rice and there's no need to pay high prices for some fancy-labelled stuff! I use Asda's own and it works ok.

I use a Pyrex casserole-dish, as the wherewithal for cooking the rice in, but any "micro-wave-approved" casserole-type dish will be ok.

Weigh-out the amount of rice you need (I find 4oz [sorry I don't do metric!!!] is sufficient for one person, 6oz for two etc. etc.) add a pinch of sodium chloride and then cover the rice with at least twice its depth in boiling pani.

Maximum-power selected, (my micro-wave is 850w), ten-minutes on the timer and away you go. Boil another kettle of water in readiness for the next step.

When the micro-wave has done its stuff pour the rice/water mix into a colander (I had to look in my dictionary then as I was sure colander was spelt with double "l") and pour the boiling-water over it. This does two things, (a) it rinses any excess starch off the rice, thereby "lifting and separating" (gratuitous reference to a bra advert of years gone by to bring a slightly risque element into this account!) and (b) adds a few more BTU's (sorry I don't do metric!!) to the "lifted and separated" (gratuitous reference etc. etc. etc.) rice and, as Jimmy Young used to say, "orft you jolly well go!"

Works every time!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

P.S. To Trotterdotpom! John, if the back of the toilet isn't like a thrushes chest after one of MY curries then I feel as if I've failed!!!!

trotterdotpom
6th October 2008, 11:22
Thanks Phil, I'll give it a go - full eshteam on the microwave!

John T.

Chouan
6th October 2008, 11:48
I do the same except the Basmati I use is from the Coop, but I only cook it for 3 minutes and then let it stand for 2, having stirred it first.

sparkie2182
6th October 2008, 12:06
thanks to all...........

i will give the "Philthechill" special rice a go today...............

Eric Walter
6th October 2008, 12:37
Gandhi is not going to be popular this week !!!!

Eric

trotterdotpom
6th October 2008, 14:06
I do the same except the Basmati I use is from the Coop, but I only cook it for 3 minutes and then let it stand for 2, having stirred it first.

Do the chickens wonder what recipe buck buck buck you've been reading when you nick the rice from the coop?

John T.

trotterdotpom
6th October 2008, 14:09
Gandhi is not going to be popular this week !!!!

Eric

Eric, remember the expression: "Tighter than Ghandi's cook"?

John T.

Roger Bentley
6th October 2008, 18:52
As I recall it the curries were always served in a Brocklebank hotel like silver dish with the curry one side and the rice the other. I got some memorabilia from a former Shell Purser/Ch Steward and the attached was his list of curries. I always remember the oddly named Country Captain, although Brocklebanks called it Country Kaptan. Great meals and great days!

Eric Walter
6th October 2008, 20:01
Thanks for that Roger. I have already promised 'she who must be obeyed' a curry with philthechill rice on Wednesday. Now I am not short of ideas for the curry. Fancy the Singalese, I always enjoyed Ceylon-Sri Lanka.

Eric

sparkie2182
6th October 2008, 22:43
this is an easy recipe for rice which came from my favourite T.V. chef.........Ken Hom
he uses it every time for his rice dishes and it works for me too.

the good thing about it is that it works for any quantity of rice, and only needs 10 minutes of hob heat.

Basic Method for Cooking Rice

Put your rice in a pan and cover with water to the depth of the tip of your index finger to the first knuckle (about 2cm). Bring the water to the boil, cover, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or so. After that, turn the heat off and leave for another 10 mins. You should have perfect fluffy rice that you don't have to drain

one VITAL bit............

DO NOT UNCOVER THE PAN untill the full 20 minutes has elapsed, the escaping
steam loses the cooking process.

Philthechill
7th October 2008, 13:17
I do the same except the Basmati I use is from the Coop, but I only cook it for 3 minutes and then let it stand for 2, having stirred it first. Chouan, sahib! I'm mightily intrigued! Your method seems bot juldi compared to mine! Obviously the rice is cooked as you wouldn't have included it on this "Cooking Rice for Beginners" Forum! I'll have to give it a coat of looking at next time I do myself a Ruby Murray! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

lakercapt
7th October 2008, 14:55
For perfectly cooked rice every time buy a rice cooker!!! (its a little pot using electricity.)
My microwave, as most of the ones I have seen has a setting for cooking rice.
Rice (preferably Basmati)+twice the water + salt+ a dod of butter. In North Americia we use a measurement of a cup.
Works every time. Fork it up after the cooking period and let stand for a few minutes.
Then again what good curry did not have DAL alongside???
A must have too are Pappadums for that true Indian meal

sparkie2182
7th October 2008, 17:51
this chap knew how to cook rice............

former cook for Lord Mountbatten when he was Viceroy of India.

http://www.din.or.jp/~ace/chacha/

Himali Cooked for the Indian Diplomatic Corps for most of his life...........
there were lots of photos on his resteraunt wall of him alongside the great and good of 20th century history.

his son now runs the show, but if you are passing through Bangkok, its well worth a visit...........a glimpse of the menu alone is
enough to make me peckish

Chouan
7th October 2008, 18:43
Chouan, sahib! I'm mightily intrigued! Your method seems bot juldi compared to mine! Obviously the rice is cooked as you wouldn't have included it on this "Cooking Rice for Beginners" Forum! I'll have to give it a coat of looking at next time I do myself a Ruby Murray! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Worth a try, because if it isn't done to your satisfaction you can always give a few more zots in the microwave. As you suggest, the boiling water afterwards seperates the grains.

Chouan
7th October 2008, 19:29
In fact, I've just made some for my son, by the recipe given, only for him mind, so a small quantity, and it is done perfectly. But for larger quantities, just increase the amount of pani.