1952 Murder on the RAUHINE

Dick S
6th October 2008, 00:32
Just a chance some one might help and I have posted in the right thread?

Read an article about wartime SOE operative Xan Fielding who died early 1990s. He was captured by Gestapo and rescued by an operative called Christine Granville, daughter of a Poish Count. Granville did various jobs after the war and became a stewaedess on the WArick Castle then the Rauhine. Whilst on the RAUHINE she was murdered by a Bathroom Steward in July '52 he was hanged later that year.

Does anyone have any information on the incident . I would also like to know more about the vessel , what size company run she was on etc. This has rather captured my imagination that a women who went through the war behind enemy lines ends up dead on a Merchant Ship.

Dick

spongebob
6th October 2008, 01:21
Dick, might the vessel be the "RUAHINE", a New Zealand Shipping Co passenger/cargo ship launched in the late 40,s and deployed on the UK/NZ run.

Bob

Dick S
6th October 2008, 02:36
Thanks Bob looked up Ruahine on gallery certainly plenty of info on the ship there

Dick

Mike S
6th October 2008, 14:51
I know that the old grey matter is getting a tad forgetful these days however in all the time spent in NZS (1957 to 1965) including 2 years on Rangitane I never heard anything about a murder on the Ruahine.
We did lose a lad over the side in suspicious circumstances near Panama on the 'tane in 1962 however that was never resolved.
There were a number of the catering staff that never were allowed back to sea after that trip.
Rather a rough lot if I recall........sufficient to swear me off passenger ships for the rest of my life I can tell you.

ROBERT HENDERSON
6th October 2008, 15:50
I remember a murder case around about that time but am not sure of the name of the ship. The victim was an actress and the bedroom stewards name was Camb. I am not sure if he was hanged or not. It was one of the first murder cases without a body, as he had dumped her body through a porthole.

Regards Robert

joebuckham
6th October 2008, 16:07
hi robert

james camb steward murdered gay gibson on durban castle 1947 was hung

Gareth Jones
6th October 2008, 16:13
hi robert

james camb steward murdered gay gibson on durban castle 1947 was hung

No he wasn't hung - at the time of his trial, legislation to abolish hanging was before parliament - so his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. The legislation subsequently failed and hanging was restored, so he escaped hanging by this loophole.
He was later paroled and immediately committed 2 rapes and was returned to prison for the remainder of his sentence.

joebuckham
6th October 2008, 18:02
hi gareth

thanks for the correction i knew he had been sentenced to death but could'nt remember the legislation and subsequent events
b rgds

mike N
6th October 2008, 19:11
Dick S,
it seems Christine Granville was murdered shore side by a fellow steward (see Wikipedia entry for her) Quite an amazing woman and let down by H.M. government after the war ,or so it appears.

Pat McCardle
6th October 2008, 20:03
Strange case against here murderer being 'dispatched' so swiftly & never fully explained, or was he her assassin? Quite an amazing life & let down, as millions were, by H.M.Government. When will we know the truth?

Dick S
6th October 2008, 22:31
Hi All, Thanks everyone for your input. I have investigated more and it becomes murkier! The initial sight definately spelt ships name wrong and stated bathroom steward! Stating that he fell inlove with her and when she rejected him he stabbed her through the heart. Implying if not not stating that it happened on board ship. Other states that she was murdered by a porter(building not station implied) called Muldew or Muldrew. In july 1952 he was hanged Sept 1952 - a very short time between crime and punishment in my opinopn - deserved or not!
Thanks again for input. any more?

Dick

Pat McCardle
6th October 2008, 22:46
From Spartacus Educational: -

On the Rauhine she met, George Muldowney, a bathroom steward. Muldowney fell in love with her. She rejected his advances and on 15th June, 1952, he stabbed her in the heart with a knife. Muldowney was executed for her murder on 30th September 1952.

spongebob
6th October 2008, 23:01
Tommy Steele got logged for throwing dirty dishes out of the porthole on Rangitane.

Bob

trotterdotpom
7th October 2008, 00:43
Wasn't there a woman found hanging out of a porthole on a Castle boat at Southampton in the '60s, or am I getting the stories mixed up?

John T.

Gareth Jones
7th October 2008, 11:54
Wasn't there a woman found hanging out of a porthole on a Castle boat at Southampton in the '60s, or am I getting the stories mixed up?

John T.

Only her head and shoulders were out of the porthole and her boyfriend was standing behind her, holding her from falling of course !!!

trotterdotpom
7th October 2008, 12:42
It was good of him to save her shampoo - tee hee.

John T.