Rossetti (1956)

blurb10
7th October 2008, 16:56
CAN ANYONE HELP?

Looking back at my discharge book, I signed on as Second Engineer on
m.v. Rossetti, Lamport and Holt in July 1960 but can find no record of
this ship in the Lamport and Holt fleet.

K urgess
7th October 2008, 17:14
ROSSETTI was built in 1956 by Pickersgill and Sons of Sunderland.
Sailed as that until 1963 when bareboat chartered to Booth Line and renamed BONIFACE. The charter ended in 1967 and she was renamed ROSSETTI until sold to Booth's in 1970 and renamed BONIFACE again.
Courtesy of "Lamport & Holt Line" by Paul Heaton (ISBN 1872006167)
Cheers
Kris

Bruce Carson
7th October 2008, 17:15
Hi:
That, I believe, would be the second of the name in the L&H fleet.
Built in 1956, she became Booth's Boniface in 1963. Back to become L&H's Rossetti in 1967: again to Booth as the Rossetti in 1970 and the following year was sold Greek.
There is a picture of her on the following page:
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/LH7.html

Bruce

blurb10
7th October 2008, 18:21
Many thanks, cleared my mind.

Mike S
8th October 2008, 13:08
This is a blast from the past for me!
As a young lad of 16 I was on her trials out of Sunderland!
5 cyl Doxford built by NEM Wallsend.......Jackie Stevens was the outside Manager at NEM in those days and he was on the ME controls for the trials.
When it came time for the starts on one bottle they were ahead on the time table for the trials so they said to Jackie half joking "See how many you can get Jackie!"
I cannot recall how many but it was over 30 + and he just said "Aw that's enough."
The thing was there was still heaps of air in the bottle.!
The engine was fitted with a strange device called a "NEMSTOP" It was an attempt to make the Doxford a little easier to stop when manoeuvring.
Not sure what it did or how long it lasted in real life. I went on deck after that experience, looked very hot and noisy down there!
Jackie featured shortly afterwards in Punch magazine when they did an article on ship building and the NE.
There was a pen and ink drawing of this little round jovial Geordie with a huge torch "Querying the welfare of a pet crank!"
He loved his Doxfords did Jackie and he said to me in his broad dialect, "The Doxford is the closest thing to perpetual motion man has ever made young lad which is fine until you have to stop 'em!"
He was one of the hundreds of wonderful men that worked at North Eastern Marine in those far off days.
Dad was another..........he was MD by then God rest his soul.
Memories...............

woover
10th March 2014, 21:04
Hi,
Logged into your site by accident as I am looking for a photo of the Rossetti. I signed on her in Montreal september 1957 and paid off in Halifax N.S. march 1958. I was a Cadet. Can find no record of her in the L/H records.
Any Ideas where I can find any pictures?

Woover

nautibuoy42
10th March 2014, 21:27
Go on the bluestar.org web page, you will find pic of the Rosetti and the rest of the L & H fleet.

cueball44
10th March 2014, 21:39
Hi,
Logged into your site by accident as I am looking for a photo of the Rossetti. I signed on her in Montreal september 1957 and paid off in Halifax N.S. march 1958. I was a Cadet. Can find no record of her in the L/H records.

WooverGOOGLE "old ship picture galleries" you will find lots of photos of the "ROSSETTI".(Thumb)

nautibuoy42
17th March 2014, 16:39
Hi,

Woover

Hi Woover, just posted in Gallery section pic of Rosetti