QE2 crossing on Friday 8 Oct: questions about etiquette

PhilColebrook
8th October 2008, 09:38
Hi,

Thought some of you might be able to help. The cruise sites have not been helpful.

My girlfriend and I are crossing to NY on the QE2 on Friday. We've never been on a liner/cruise ship before, let alone a Cunard liner, and are a little unsure about dress etiquette. There are three formal night and 2 semi-formal night. As I understand it, I can wear a suit for the 2 semi-formal nights and will wear a dinner suit/bow tie for the formal nights. What about during the day? Are jeans permissable, or will they preclude me from certain areas even during the day? And does anyone know how quickly the laundry can turn around dry cleaning etc?

Apologies for this being rather "out of scope" for this board but people on here have always been very helpful if they can.

Thank you,

Phil.

non descript
8th October 2008, 11:03
Phil,

To be frank I personally have no idea, but I am sure that there are enough well seasoned folk on here who have taken such a cruise and know the precise details of what, where and when; so sure as eggs are eggs, you will get a surfeit of advice and comment. The fact that wild horses and a guarantee that all my money would be refunded from the Icelandic Bank, would not tempt me to go on a cruise, should not dissuade you from having a very happy trip, wearing your jeans and having a ball. Go for it and have fun… as I suspect the only rule is that you have some clothes on some of the time….
(Thumb)
Mark

Ron Stringer
8th October 2008, 13:24
Perhaps a call to Cunard, or your travel agency, might produce quicker replies. They are getting your money, how about they give some service in return?

Mara
8th October 2008, 15:19
Ah, something I can answer on this site... Suppers are formal but a dark suit, white shirt and tie will suffice for all. Not every traveller wants to carry a "monkey suit." Jeans are fine for days. You will find every kind of dress aboard.
I've done 7 Atlantic crossings on her including the infamous cruise from hell during her refit in the 80's. This is an historic last year for a lovely ship. Enjoy!

Jeff Taylor
8th October 2008, 16:41
I would pretty much second Mara's comments, but sport jackets are fine for semi-formal as well. Honestly, you tend to see more tuxedos than dark suits on formal nights, and personally I'd opt for slacks rather than jeans during the day (recent QM2 experience). In warmer climes shorts are fine, too, but you'll be on the North Atlantic! Going back more than a few years I was on one of the last crossings of the original QE in August. By then there was a pool on the lido, and on our last day prior to arriving in NY it was warm enough to take a dip. Unfortunately, someone in the engineering dept had left the steam on too high and it was nearly 150 degrees fahrenheit in the outdoor pool. Rather than partially drain and refill it they closed it. Ah Cunard!

paul rennison
8th October 2008, 18:19
Hi Phil my wife & I returned on Sept 10th from a med cruise on the QE2, an unforgettable experience, as you are aware the dress code of the day is published each day in the daily programme and applies throughout the ship from 6pm, however not everyone is changed out of their daygear by then. we tried to dress up each time it was a formal evening as we enjoy doing so, but a dark suit & tie is just fine, also more relaxed dining is available in the Lido where the food although buffet service is excellent. during the day for breakfast & lunch casual attire inc jeans is acceptable.
ENJOY!!
Paul

Paul UK
8th October 2008, 18:58
Hi Phil

You will love this trip, I have have cruised on QM2 and QE2 give me the old lady anyday.

Paul

Pompeyfan
8th October 2008, 20:56
Phil

I need not add any more really. I have not travelled with Cunard but they seem the same as Aurora and Oriana that I have travelled on for the past few years. As has been mentioned, dress code is published each day and usually applies after 1800 in most public rooms. On Oriana's world cruise I got fed up with dinner suite and bow tie, so often wore a suit and tie instead for a change. Also, on certain evenings I wear a blazer and tie, and informal evenings a smart dress shirt will suffice without a tie. All this info should be in the daily paper.

David

sparkie2182
8th October 2008, 23:19
and dont eat with your fingers...........

thats what got Trotterdotpom kicked off the Royal Yacht Brittannia

:)

this site is usually handy for such info as you need Phil...................

http://www.insidecruise.co.uk/forums/index.php

trotterdotpom
9th October 2008, 00:45
Well, I thought the brandy balloons were finger bowls - at least I didn't broach the cargo!

John T.

sparkie2182
9th October 2008, 01:06
if you did you would have been admiral by now.

:)

trotterdotpom
9th October 2008, 01:23
Or in the Tower!

John T.

dom
9th October 2008, 13:28
Dress code published each day dinner jackets ties,i thought the idea was to get away from all that,relax have fun enjoy,its not the end of the world if your not invited to seat at the captains table

Pompeyfan
9th October 2008, 14:29
Dress code published each day dinner jackets ties,i thought the idea was to get away from all that,relax have fun enjoy,its not the end of the world if your not invited to seat at the captains table

Some companies and ships have freedom dining, and dress code much more relaxed where suit and tie are not needed. However some ships still have strict dress codes for certain areas of the ship after 1800. There are so many cruise ships now that passengers who do not like dressing up can find the ship that suits them best.

David

Paul UK
10th October 2008, 12:53
Phil

Please take loads of pictures as you are with QM2 all the way.

Paul

benjidog
10th October 2008, 23:22
Phil

Please take loads of pictures as you are with QM2 all the way.

Paul

Well said - take loads!

But please don't feel you have to post ALL of them on SN. :)