Brocklebanks - Crew Members

japottinger
9th July 2005, 22:34
Names of shipmates I remember;
Dave Roddick, James Grant, Russell Gordon, Jack Evans, Jim Sunners
( deceased) Bob Stoddart, Les Dow, Harry Allison, Ron McMurtrie, Cliff Watson, Rankin Sinclair, Campbell Sinclair, Johhny McCallum, Jeff Purnell, Stan Deavearaux, Les Flockhart, Pete Roberts, Chris O'Grady, Mike Jones, Ted Wezdecki, Bob Beattie, Larry Cleall-Harding, Eric Lorimer, Alan Ross,
Jim

michael james
10th July 2005, 00:21
Virtually all of the above ring bells for me, Here are a few more that I sailed with:-

Capt Barrow, Capt Sam Baxter, Bill Behenna, Bruce Bennion, George Black, Capt Phil Brand (D),
Capt Tony Briggs, Ian Clucas, Dave Coscar, Brian Cotterill, Charlie Draught, Tony Dunster, Huw Evans, Ken Fawcett, Capt Tommy Fox-Lloyd , Dave Garside, Capt Charles Gray,
John Gray, Capt Nobby Grayson,, Capt Erin Jackson, Nigel James, John Kerbyson, Laurie Des Landes (D), Charles Lindall , Tony Lloyd, Bill Lloyd-Jones, Capt J.A.MacLaren, Pete Margeson, Don McLeod, Dave Meeks, Dave Monks, Capt “Crikey” Morris Capt John Munro, Roger Newlands, Jeff Nicholls, Capt John Nuttall, Capt Owen Pritchard, “Taffy” Roberts, Capt John “Cyclone” Saxty, Dan Scroggie, Barry Shawcross , Roger Smart, Andy Stallard, Capt Michael Taylor, Capt G.B.Thomas, Capt Eddie Watkins,Capt Butch Ward, Capt, John Watson-Ross, Dave Wild, Alan Willis, Dave Winter, Bill Wood, Dave Wolfenden, Steve Worthington,

There are more but that’s enough for now

Bill R
10th July 2005, 09:40
I am looking for Bill Adams who I last saw in Colombo in 1956. At the time he was 2nd Mate on one of your Brooklebank ship in that port. He was at Nav school with me and others in Aberdeen early to mid 50's

Thanks Bill Ross

japottinger
29th July 2005, 16:58
I forget to add Crikey Morris, it was his first trip as master on my first on Maihar, also first as CE for Russell Gordon, who I believe is in a home in Leven in Fife.
Also Butch Ward, was 1st mate on Matra with his wife on honeymoon.
Also Cpt. Nuttall

Tony Crompton
29th July 2005, 17:44
A couple of names from Michael's 9th July message I have been in
touch with recently.

Sam Baxter was on the "Friends Reunited" website last year and we passed
a few messages about "Makrana" .

Nobby Grayson was on the first Snowbow "Maritime Memories" cruise,
or Ancient mariners Cruise as we called it. Tony Spriggins was also
there and the Brocklebank Flag was flown along with others. We
were the only 3 from Brocklebanks on that cruise.

Anyone going on the next one from Harwich to Barcelona on Sept 20th?

"Crikey" Morris was Master on the Maihar which was the first
Brocklebank ship that I piloted into the Tees.

Capt "Gob" Nutall was Master in "Malancha" on my first trip.
What an impression he gave to a young man!!!!

Tony C

michael james
13th August 2005, 00:43
Calling all ex-Brocklebank Sparkies. Do you recognise this chap ?
Came across this photo-taken on Mahout,Mawana or Mangla 68-70 on the reverse is "Tony 2nd Sparks" no idea of surname, but would satify the puzzle if someone recognises him.

japottinger
17th August 2005, 11:26
A couple of names from Michael's 9th July message I have been in
touch with recently.

Sam Baxter was on the "Friends Reunited" website last year and we passed
a few messages about "Makrana" .

Nobby Grayson was on the first Snowbow "Maritime Memories" cruise,
or Ancient mariners Cruise as we called it. Tony Spriggins was also
there and the Brocklebank Flag was flown along with others. We
were the only 3 from Brocklebanks on that cruise.

Anyone going on the next one from Harwich to Barcelona on Sept 20th?

"Crikey" Morris was Master on the Maihar which was the first
Brocklebank ship that I piloted into the Tees.

Capt "Gob" Nutall was Master in "Malancha" on my first trip.
What an impression he gave to a young man!!!!

Tony C Any idea the date of taking Maihar into the Tees Tony?

Tony Crompton
17th August 2005, 12:05
Any idea the date of taking Maihar into the Tees Tony?

13th April 1972. Sea to Smiths No 11 Dry Dock I think it was the first time I piloted a large ship with a Bow Thrust.

Tony C

japottinger
18th August 2005, 20:48
Sorry Tony, I was hoping you were referring to the REAL Maihar, the sssshhhteam driven one, not the grease driven ship!
From all accounts the MV Maihar and sister were fabulous ships, with everything you could wish from, and duplicated at that.
Did to see that article in past Sea Breezes re these?
Jim

RCHARLTON
19th August 2005, 01:32
Sorry Tony, I was hoping you were referring to the REAL Maihar, the sssshhhteam driven one, not the grease driven ship!
From all accounts the MV Maihar and sister were fabulous ships, with everything you could wish from, and duplicated at that.
Did to see that article in past Sea Breezes re these?
Jim

Jim,

I notice from many of your posts that you seem a little biased in favor of steam driven vessels over diesel powered ships so I am sure the following little ditty which we used to sing on the Mahsud (The REAL diesel one) might appeal to your sense of humor:-

If you ever go to Sweden where the maidens are so fair
Go along to Gothenburg you’ll find a shipyard there
Where they build Pielstick engines, they’re “automatic” too
And those “automatic” engines give me the finger pokin’ blues.

Although I can sing it I can’t remember the actual name of the tune it was sung to. Maybe some other Brocklebank members might be able to help.

I also remember that we used to say the reason the engines were called “automatic” was because they automatically went wrong and we automatically went and fixed them.

Seriously though, they were outstanding ships and I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the Mahsud.

Regards,

Ray C

R798780
19th August 2005, 08:21
Sung to "Fulsom Prison Blues". But where are the other 5 verses. Came across a typed up version on Lumen or Luminetta - same shipyard, same powerhouse less a few Cheveaux. Used to know who penned the words but that fails me now.

RCHARLTON
19th August 2005, 16:40
Thanks for the tune info. I have been trying to remember that for a while. I never knew any other verses and only remember this one because of a slightly built Scottish Leckie whose name escapes now but who used to sing it incesantly especially when he had had a few pints.

Ray Charlton

R798780
19th August 2005, 17:29
He was electrician on Lucerna in 1976, name escapes me but I can picture him behind his glass. I believe he was the author. Will have to ask Stuart for help with the name.

R798780
19th August 2005, 17:40
Fred Mackay ?

Stuart
19th August 2005, 21:11
I met Fred on the Lucerna 76 and Lucellum 77. I seem to remember his party piece was singing "Blue Moon".

Rgds

Tony Crompton
20th August 2005, 00:14
No idea of the correct name of the tune but I remember,

"They say there's a Brocklebank leaving Madras"
"Bound for old Kidderpore"
"Heavily laden with 26 men bound for the port they abhor"
"They say that Calcutta's a wonderful place"
"But take it from us its a great big disgrace"
"They don't grow Maize, Barley or Wheat"
"But humans and cattle all sleep in the street"
"And so I am told that for a very small charge"
"You can go down to Park Street for a phoney massage"
"And just round the corner, it's not very far"
"You meet the intelegentia in Isiah's Bar".
---------------
Tony C

Tony Crompton
20th August 2005, 00:30
I remember engineers singing :-

"We are we are we are we are
we are the engineers,
we can we can we can we can
devour forty beers,
Boilermakers, Navigators can not drink with us,
and we don't give a damn for any old man
that don't give a damn for us"

cannot remember the middle few verses but they
were about Lady Godiva's ride through Coventry
with the last lines being

"and the first to help her off her horse and take her for a beer
was a Board of Trade Surveyor, ex Brocklebank Engineer"

Any engineers remember the full version?
---------------------------
Tony C

mcook
20th August 2005, 00:38
I well remember Fred. I first sailed with him on one of the ex-Cunarders (It was the Mahronda). We were in Aqaba, Jordan, discharging ex-BAOR Chieftain tanks. Fred
collpsed on deck and was rushed ashore with a suspected heart attack. The next day, however, the doctors said they would return him to the ship after a couple of days drying out!
I ended up working with Fred's battie-wallah trying to fix winches (not very successfully). Working on top of the winch houses, however, provided a good view of the antics on deck.
Several of the tanks were carried as deck cargo, and were pretty rusted up by the time we arrived in Jordan from Hamburg. Several were suffering from siezed brakes. The method used by the stevedores to shift the tanks was to rig a heavy-lift cable through a pully secured on deck and run the bitter end to the tank. Winching in on the cable dragged the tank along the deck and freed the brakes. They had a little Jordanian army sergeant in the tank's driver's seat to re-apply the brakes. This operation worked splendidly for three or four tanks, but one must have been a bit more obstinate than those that preceded it. More power was required by the heavy-lift winch in an attempt to unseize this particular tank. All of a sudden, with a loud bang the pulley attached to the deck broke free, the winch took up the slack, and the front of this 40-odd-ton tank was lifted at an angle of nearly 45 degress. At this stage the brakes freed themselves and the metal behemoth started to trundle down the deck, scattering arabs, deck cadets, crew and anyone else who happened to be in it's path.
Now don't forget the little Jordanian Sergeant in the driver's position, frantically stomping on the brakes. Our hero (not that he had much choice) managed to stop the run-away tank not too many feet from the front of the all-aft accommodation. I remember thinking that it was a good thing that the ship's bar was on the other side and out of harm's way.

Luckily, nobody was injured in the slightest. All the dents to the hatch-coamings and bulwarks were eventually repaired. Oh, and Fred made it safely back to the ship.

I later sailed with Fred on the Lucellum and we saw in 1978 (I think) in Albany, New York.
But that is another story.

malcolm

John Rogers
20th August 2005, 01:50
The name of the Tune is "Bless Them All" the long and the short and the tall you wont gat no promotion this side of the ocean so cheer up my lads bless them all. Its an Old military song.
John

Derek Roger
30th August 2005, 15:32
Blue moon was Fred McKays song. He would also at or around the time he was ready to sing somehow managed to slowly climb out of his chair and end up "perched on the back " flutter his wings a bit ; chirp somewhat and then break into Blue Moon . That was usually the sign for everyone to "turn in " !
Derek

Trevor
30th August 2005, 21:40
Tony
Godiva was a lady, who through Coventry did ride,
To show the local populous the colour of her hide,
The only one to help her down and treat her to a beer etc
Trevor

skymaster
31st December 2005, 22:15
Just Joined,what an excellent site and escape back to the good old days.I sailed with Rankin Sinclair on the Mahanada 1957/58.I have a good photo of him.

Regards
Mike Pikett

Derek Roger
1st January 2006, 15:39
Happy New Year from New Brunswick Mike . Derek

skymaster
1st January 2006, 17:42
And a VERY HAPPY ONE TO YOU may it be safe and prosperous!

Mike

Harry Nicholson
1st January 2006, 20:38
Just Joined,what an excellent site and escape back to the good old days.I sailed with Rankin Sinclair on the Mahanada 1957/58.I have a good photo of him.

Regards
Mike Pikett
Hello Mike,
I was 2 r/o on Mahanada (Tommy Williams 1st r/o, JB Newman captain). My discharge book says 7.1.57 to 4.1.58... two deep sea trips. Were we shipmates? I don't remember. Who was Rankin Sinclair? Can you post the photo?
regards
Harry Nicholson

skymaster
3rd January 2006, 19:17
HI Harry,
Your first date is throwing me off,should it be1.7.57.I have the Xmas Day Dinner menu and I think that I can de-cipher your name.I was senior apprentice I thought thought Rankin was a r/o?I have photos that I am trying to post!Were you in the skiffle group?

skymaster
3rd January 2006, 19:36
Two Photos posted today,were we on the Mahanada at same time?

Mike

ruud
3rd January 2006, 20:00
The name of the Tune is "Bless Them All" the long and the short and the tall you wont gat no promotion this side of the ocean so cheer up my lads bless them all. Its an Old military song.
JohnAhoy John,
Sounds like this?(*))
http://media.putfile.com/blessemall

Jim S
25th January 2006, 20:40
Re Fred McKay - Electrician. At the time I sailed with Fred he was 2nd Electrician on Maidan or Magdapur around 1964. His party piece then was to grab a blade of the overhead fans in the bar. No matter how fast the fan might be rotating he always managed to grab hold of an individual blade stalling the fan.
I guess his latter party piece of singing "Blue Moon" had less personal danger.

The Jack Wilson Junior 3rd Eng. on Magadapur around the same time. Another Glaswegian. - his party piece was the song "Stardust" -That is if you discount his swimming around fully clothed trying to recover his Seaman's I.D.card in his teeth after falling off the gangway.

Jim S
28th January 2006, 19:52
Having seen Fred's name appear in a few recollections I have unearthed the attached which shows Fred in typical position with glass in hand - I think the picture was taken in the Hotel Tabrobane, Colombo (spelling?) around 1963/64.
From the vantage point of the top floor lounge bar one could keep an eye on one's ship berthed in the harbour particularly at night. If her lights went out it was a test of conscience whether to make a hasty return to her or not.

Mike Wild
30th January 2006, 17:55
No idea of the correct name of the tune but I remember,

"They say there's a Brocklebank leaving Madras"
"Bound for old Kidderpore"
"Heavily laden with 26 men bound for the port they abhor"
"They say that Calcutta's a wonderful place"
"But take it from us its a great big disgrace"
"They don't grow Maize, Barley or Wheat"
"But humans and cattle all sleep in the street"
"And so I am told that for a very small charge"
"You can go down to Park Street for a phoney massage"
"And just round the corner, it's not very far"
"You meet the intelegentia in Isiah's Bar".
---------------
Tony C
There's a Brocks ship just leaving today, bound for old Kidderpore
Heavily laden with 26 men, bound for the land they abhor.
And they're saying goodbye to it all, as it's back to Chowringee they crawl
You'll get no enjoyment from Brocklebank's employment so cheer up my lads ....'em all!

Don't think it was exclusive to us as P&O flat mate when we were both up for 2nd Mates knew a slightly different version.

I also recall a topical one from my time, to Simon & Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound", sung whenever we were far, far away from home!

I'm sitting here on Tilbury station got a ticket for my destination. ooooo etc
I've just done a six month trip, and Brocklebanks can stick their ship.
I've had my fill of filling logs, taking sites and chasing wogs.
Homeward Bound, I wish I was homeward bound
Home, where I'll soon be mating, Home, where the girls are waiting, Home where the tax man's waiting silently for me.....

Joined the site about 6 months ago, but only just got around to have a rummage. Will post a few memories in the next few days!

Tmac1720
30th January 2006, 18:10
Tune is "The Mountains of Mourne" to help you remember the melody it goes something like this
"Oh Mary this London's a wonderful site
People are workin; by day and by night
They don't grow potatoes or barley or wheat
And people are diggin for gold in the street ...........Etc Etc...."
Remember it now?? (Hippy)

Derek Roger
1st February 2006, 17:23
A very nice picture of Fred Jim S .

also a little Diddy I recollect when promoted to 2nd Eng .
" The working class ; can kiss my **** ; I'm on the 4 to 8 at Last ! "

ruud
1st February 2006, 17:34
Tune is "The Mountains of Mourne" to help you remember the melody it goes something like this
"Oh Mary this London's a wonderful site
People are workin; by day and by night
They don't grow potatoes or barley or wheat
And people are diggin for gold in the street ...........Etc Etc...."
Remember it now?? (Hippy)Ahoy Oul Hand(Thumb) ,

(*))

http://media.putfile.com/mourne70

Oh, Mary, this London's a wonderful sight
With people here working by day and by night
They don't sow potatoes, nor barley nor wheat
But there' gangs of them digging for gold in the streets
At least when I asked them that's what I was told
So I just took a hand at this diggin' for gold
But for all that I found there I might as well be
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that when writin' a wish you expressed
As to how the fine ladies in London were dressed
Well, if you believe me, when asked to a ball
Faith, they don't wear no top to their dresses at all.
Oh, I've seen them myself and you could not in trath
Say if they were bound for a ball or a bath
Don't be startin' them fashions now, Mary Macree,
Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I've seen England's king from the top of a bus
And I've never known him, but he means to know us.
And tho' by the Saxon we once were oppressed,
Still I cheered, God forgive me, I cheered with the rest.
And now that he's visited Erin's green shore
We'll be much better friends than we've been heretofore
When we've got all we want, we're as quiet as can be
Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea. You remember young Peter O'Loughlin, of course
Well, now he is here at the head of the force
I met him today, I was crossing the Strand
And he stopped the whole street with a wave of his hand
And there we stood talkin' of days that are gone
While the whole population of London looked on
But for all these great powers he's wishful like me
To be back where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea. There's beautiful girls here, oh, never you mind
With beautiful shapes nature never designed
And lovely complexions all roses and cream
But O'Loughlin remarked with regard to the same
That if at those roses you venture to sip
The colours might all come away on your lip
So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waitin' for me
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

R58484956
1st February 2006, 19:15
Welcome Mike to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Mike Wild
7th February 2006, 18:36
Thanks for the welcome.
My Discharge Book reads reads
Masirah 26/6/68-24/7/68 (coastal) Capt JAB Munro
Masirah 5/8/68-18/12/68 Capt Owen Pritchard
Mangla 3/1/69-12/6/69 Capt Phil Pembridge
Maipura 11/7/69-19/12/69 Capt Dennis Keller
Mahout 19/12/69-6/1/70 Capt Phil Pembridge
Scotia 22/6/70-18/10/70 Capt PB Clements
Masirah 10/11/70-20/11/70
Masirah 16/12/70-30/12/70 Capt LBJ Thomas
Malancha 28/1/70-19/5/70 Capt J Moore
Markhor 4/5/72 - 5/9/72 Capt "Paddy" Reddin
Lustrous 14/11/72-19/5/73
Port New Plymouth 21/6/73-8/8/73
Port Caroline 9/8/73-3/9/73

After which I transferred to the Marble Arch Office commercial side with "Eastern Services" division.

What youngster these days would be given such an opportunity? I'd visited such places as the Maldives, Seychelles, Eritrea, India, Gulf, and Great Lakes USA, West Africa, Fiji, Tahiti and Australia, all before my 25th birthday!

It's been said elsewhere, but Brocks were good feeders. Chief Stewards like Les Flockhart and (?) Williams (dapper, had a moustache) made sure of that. Great skippers like Phil Pembridge and Dennis Keller left lasting impressions, along with a succession of engineers, most of whose names escape me, although Phil Morris and a complete head case called McArdle on the Lustrous seem to stick. "Batman" a "sparks" of strange nocturnal habits and fellow deck wallahs such as Colin Kingston, Paddy Roberts, Taff Evans & Bob Winlo spring to mind. There were also people like Tony Spriggins, Hal Ackerley and "Nobby" Grayson who I worked with in the Marble Arch office.

All that and I learned to lash a blue and white ensign to a bamboo pole in order our house flag "flew higher than any other in the British merchant navy".
Happy days!
Mike

Tony Crompton
7th February 2006, 18:41
Myself with Nobby Grayson and Tony Spriggins in 2004 on the "Discovery"
maritime Memories cruise.
-----------------------------------
Tony C

muldonaich
8th February 2006, 00:15
Names of shipmates I remember;
( deceased) Bob Stoddart, Les Dow, Harry Allison, Ron McMurtrie, Cliff Watson, Rankin Sinclair, Campbell Sinclair, Johhny McCallum, Jeff Purnell, Stan Deavearaux, Les Flockhart, Pete Roberts, Chris O'Grady, Mike Jones, Ted Wezdecki, Bob Beattie, Larry Cleall-Harding, Eric Lorimer, Alan Ross,
Jim
did you ever sail with captain black mac macniel regards kev

Mike Wild
14th February 2006, 13:56
Myself with Nobby Grayson and Tony Spriggins in 2004 on the "Discovery"
maritime Memories cruise.
-----------------------------------
Tony C
Wow, apart from a few lines and Nobby's beard going white there's not a lot of difference! Thanks for posting that, brings back some great memories and is a lasting advert for gin & tonic as an anti-aging potion!
Mike

Mike Wild
14th February 2006, 14:07
did you ever sail with captain black mac macniel regards kev
No and that's certainly a name I wouldn't have forgotton!

Of the orignal J. Pottinger names you quote, then think Cliff Watson was the sparks "Batman" to whom I referred in my original posting.

Going through the list was James Grant a C/E? Bob Stoddart and Les Dow are names that ring a bell as is Stan Devearaux. Would Mike Jones have been a bespectacled 5/E in about 69?. Afraid the rest don't register.

Jim S
15th February 2006, 21:51
I have heard of, or sailed with, some of the names already listed in this section.
If I may add some others that come to mind, from discharge book, and from records of service.
Chief Engs - R. Whiteway, Pat McCartan, J. Bain, Alf Manley, C. Knowles, Bill Beeby, A. Atack, C. Dickens, George Black, Jake Donnelly.
2/Engs - "Ben" Lyon, John Hoy, Tony Dick, George Snaith, ? Williams.
Others - Brian Baxter 3/E, Jack Wilson Jnr3/E, John Roberts 4/E, Norman McGovern Jnr4/E Brian Gracie 5/E, Terry Lomas 5/E. Geoff Turner Eng. App.
Fred McKay 2/Elect, Giovanni Webster 2/M, Roger Newton 3/M, Dave Peese 4/M
Captains - Keller, Sinclair, Murray, Ross, Addy (?)

Pat McCartan became a BOT Surveyor/Examiner. John Roberts and I were both Juniors on Furness Withy's Pacific Unity so it was a great surprise???? to be re-united on Mathura. Only he was Snr 4th and I was just Jnr 4th

Jim S
16th February 2006, 20:16
I forgot a couple of names from yesterday's post - John McKay 2/E
In early 60's on a coastal trip there was an Electrician whose name I cannot remember although the 2/E referred to him as "FLIT" A bit unfairly I thought but he did not seem to mind. - FLIT stood for Fat, Lazy, Idle, T--t.
His claim to fame was that Pat Phoenix the Coronation Street sex symbol was his aunt. He must have lived in the Liverpool area as I had to drive his Austin 1100 through the Birkenhead Tunnel back to the ship after a night out.

Does anyone recall an exploit of Brian (Boots) Baxter - I think it was on Maipura - It was rumoured that he and one other built a raft from oil drums and set sail out of Colombo Harbour. The pair had to be rescued as they headed towards the horizon out of control.

I note that there is no mention in these lists of Brocklebank's Finest of the (in)famous Tommy Jones C/Eng Too many bad memories of spoilt ship's parties perhaps?

S Fraser
6th April 2006, 17:40
Virtually all of the above ring bells for me, Here are a few more that I sailed with:-

Capt Barrow, Capt Sam Baxter, Bill Behenna, Bruce Bennion, George Black, Capt Phil Brand (D),
Capt Tony Briggs, Ian Clucas, Dave Coscar, Brian Cotterill, Charlie Draught, Tony Dunster, Huw Evans, Ken Fawcett, Capt Tommy Fox-Lloyd , Dave Garside, Capt Charles Gray,
John Gray, Capt Nobby Grayson,, Capt Erin Jackson, Nigel James, John Kerbyson, Laurie Des Landes (D), Charles Lindall , Tony Lloyd, Bill Lloyd-Jones, Capt J.A.MacLaren, Pete Margeson, Don McLeod, Dave Meeks, Dave Monks, Capt “Crikey” Morris Capt John Munro, Roger Newlands, Jeff Nicholls, Capt John Nuttall, Capt Owen Pritchard, “Taffy” Roberts, Capt John “Cyclone” Saxty, Dan Scroggie, Barry Shawcross , Roger Smart, Andy Stallard, Capt Michael Taylor, Capt G.B.Thomas, Capt Eddie Watkins,Capt Butch Ward, Capt, John Watson-Ross, Dave Wild, Alan Willis, Dave Winter, Bill Wood, Dave Wolfenden, Steve Worthington,

There are more but that’s enough for now

I have just discovered this site, and it was my son, who lives in Canada that unearthed it, and sent me the link. He doesn't realise what he has unleashed!!
The names you listed bring the memories flooding back.
I started my deck apprenticeship with Brocks in 1961 on the Maskeliya, ("Tubby" Evans-Master, Mackenzie-Cole-C/O, John Fraser 2/O, Ken Bell-3/O, "Toasty" Roberts-Snr App). I also served 2 trips on the Mahanada, 1st with Charlie Grey (what a character he could be), and the subsequent one with Capt Maclaren. "Spud" Murphy was the C/O on that trip, and he took great pride in what was by then a pretty old vessel, so much so that she was dubbed "Murphy's Yacht"!
I had a long spell on the Masirah with "Winkey" Simpson and Sam Baxter as C/O. Winkey having to behave himself on this trip as his wife was with him, and rumour had it that Scotch Wiskey producers shares crashed due to the substantial reduction in consumption. It didn't stop him consuming completely, as he was often seen to be imbibing "tea" without milk,and there was often a smell of fresh tooth-paste when he was on the bridge! He was a great "old-man" and I met with him several times in his local at Storth in Cumbria when he had retired.
1965 saw me on the Mathura with Watson-Ross-Master and John Munroe-C/O, this trip only being memorable for the fact that I started with the first signs of the kidney complaint that brought me ashore nearly 2 years later.
At the end of that year I joined the Mangla as 4/O under Philip Brand with Erin Jackson as C/O. We leant a lot about potential disasters at sea that trip, with some form of boiler explosion due to sea water contamination on Christmas Day, and 2 months later all but loosing our rudder due to a pallister gland collapse on passage from Gan to Madras. The deck depts. regard for the engineers knew no bounds as we watched John Hoy-2nd E, and the rest of the engineers devise and construct a jury system to support the steering engine, raise the rudder, and stop it sheering the pintles and its potential loss. An anxious time for all.
By the end of 1966 it was clear that medically I could not continue at sea, and although Brocks offered me a shore position working with Philip Brand on Apprentice Training, I left and joined M&S. I had a very enjoyable 20 years with them working on overseas development, and for the last 15 years have been a Corporate Vice president of a major US company. I'm thinking of retiring within the next 2 years, and was wondering what I was going to do. Now I have discovered SN the question is answered!!
Like so many of you that I have read about over the last 24 hours since joining, the Brocks time has stuck out as the most memorable career experience. I look forward to renewing old friendships
Stan

ptrjames
6th April 2006, 19:10
HI Mike,
Looks like we were shipmates aboard the Mahout - 19/12/69. According to my discharge book we signed on in New Orleans - complete crew transfer from Markhor - and paid off in Liverpool 15/1/70. Can you remember Chrismas day? I was junior electrician on that trip and got promotion on docking in Liverpool. You signed off a week before me, where was that?
Lovely to hear from you, Peter Leighton - from Neston Wirral

leggoaft
6th April 2006, 19:33
[QUOTE=japottinger]Names of shipmates I remember;
Jim[/Q#mmmOTE]

leggoaft
6th April 2006, 19:43
Hi, It would be a lot easier if I could remember this gentleman's name. However I do know he left Brocklebanks to join Coast Lines, and later became a manager in Manchester Dry Dock Co. He lived in the Birkenhead area, and unfortunately, as far as I can remember had a disabled daughter.Think he had a 1st. class steam certificate.
Very best wishes
Will

Mike Wild
11th April 2006, 13:25
Peter,
Ian Jackson & I joined from the Maipura as Phil Brand wanted to get us back to commence our Mid Apprenticeship Release Course at Warsash in Southampton. A 6 month residential course for Deck Cadets. Suspect that was why we paid off early.

I don't recall Christmas per se, but my main recollection of that trip was that we were absolutely light ship and sailed straight into a storm off the Florida Keys, from which we spent the next few days head to wind riding out. Had just fineshed a 12-4 when the Ch.Off (can't remember his name), decided that waves looked to be abating and tried to bring us round to original course. There were four of us sitting in the wardroom enjoying a post watch pint, when Mahout lurched to port to an angle we later calculated as 35 degrees. We had the storm anchors down on the wardroom chairs, but mine started to shift, ripped the mounting out of the chair and hurtled towards the port bulkead with me in it. The wardroom had the most beautiful wood panelling and my chair crashed through it making a 6" gash in the bulkhead. My pint on the other hand was intact!

Ian and I had just sailed around the Gulf on the Maipura, taking in the damage done by hurricane Camille to Gulfport and Biloxi during the August of 69. To say the experience was one of the most terrifying I've ever experienced is an understatement!

Stayed in touch with Ian (we were at school together before joining Brocks) and was his best man. A favour he returned when I married in 83. He's got two girls and became a grandad to Ella in January. He's a senior pollution manager with the Coastguard, based in Frinton on Sea. I'm now a consultant for the Welsh Assembly Government organising flying displays of unmanned aircraft in Wales! Amazing what happens to Brocks boys eh?!
Mike

Jim S
15th April 2006, 23:46
Stan Fraser in his very interesting account of his time with Brocks tells of a couple of engineering problems on Mangla in late 1965 and again in early 1966.
One was a boiler incident and the other a serious rudder problem that required a bit of jury rigging while enroute from Gan Island to Madras.
Apparently the boiler incident was due to contaminated feed water.
Can anyone expand on Stan's account. Both seemed serious incidents.
John Hoy was 2nd Eng - He was 2nd Eng on a coastal trip on Mahanada when I first joined Brocks from Furness Withy in October 1962.
I was due to sail on Maskeliya as a brand new 2nd Eng in October 1967 with John Hoy as C/Eng. Instead I left Brocks for Fyffes. Not because of John I might add but mainly because I was not keen on Scotch boilered ships.

Jim S

Trevor
24th April 2006, 19:27
Hi Jim,
I sailed on Maskeliya with John Hoy he was 2nd EO. My ships starting July 1959 were: Marwarri, Macharda, Maskeliya,Manipur,Makrana,Mahronda( don't hear her name often on this site),Marwarri,Matra, Maskeliya,Mahseer,Maipura,Maturata,Mawana,Manaar, Mahronda,Mangla,Maidan,Magdapur paid off Jan 1966. I was a true Brocks man till I came ashore.
Trevor

Jim S
24th April 2006, 20:38
Hi Jim,
I sailed on Maskeliya with John Hoy he was 2nd EO. My ships starting July 1959 were: Marwarri, Macharda, Maskeliya,Manipur,Makrana,Mahronda( don't hear her name often on this site),Marwarri,Matra, Maskeliya,Mahseer,Maipura,Maturata,Mawana,Manaar, Mahronda,Mangla,Maidan,Magdapur paid off Jan 1966. I was a true Brocks man till I came ashore.
Trevor
Hi Trevor,
Was it Magdapur you signed off from in Jan 1966? - I signed on Magdapur on 12th Jan 1966 at Birkenhead for the third of my four consecutive trips on her.
C/Eng was Jake Donnelly, Tony Dick 2/E for three of these trips. Alf Manley C/Eng John Mackay 2/E for the first of these.
My only other deep sea voyages with Brocks were on Maidan, two voyages in 1963. Bill Wood C/Eng "Ben" Lyon 2/E. Mathura in late 1963/early 1964 with George Black C/Eng and Gordon Snaith 2/E.
I coasted on Mahanada, Malakand,Mangla,Mathura, Maskeliya,Maturata, and Maipura.

Jim S

Trevor
24th April 2006, 21:07
I remember Batman had a strange habit of standing in the doorway of your cabin hanging his arms on the lintel. Can't remember his real name though.
Trevor

Trevor
24th April 2006, 21:18
Hi Jim,
Yes Magdapur was my last ship, Jake was the 2nd on the deep sea, must have got promoted, on the next trip. A good guyto sail with we had some fun in Calcutta with Jake on that trip.
Trevor

Derek Roger
25th April 2006, 14:38
Trevor ;
Cliff Watson was " Batman " .
You will be sad to hear that Jake Donnelley has passed away. He was bitten by a rat during a hull survey and developed blood poisoning which was untreatable.

S Fraser
24th May 2006, 18:32
Stan Fraser in his very interesting account of his time with Brocks tells of a couple of engineering problems on Mangla in late 1965 and again in early 1966.
One was a boiler incident and the other a serious rudder problem that required a bit of jury rigging while enroute from Gan Island to Madras.
Apparently the boiler incident was due to contaminated feed water.
Can anyone expand on Stan's account. Both seemed serious incidents.
John Hoy was 2nd Eng - He was 2nd Eng on a coastal trip on Mahanada when I first joined Brocks from Furness Withy in October 1962.
I was due to sail on Maskeliya as a brand new 2nd Eng in October 1967 with John Hoy as C/Eng. Instead I left Brocks for Fyffes. Not because of John I might add but mainly because I was not keen on Scotch boilered ships.

Jim S
Jim,
We must have sailed together as I was deep-sea on the Mahanada with John Hoy as 2nd E, and on return to the UK we docked in Manchester and I had to stay on her coasting through October 62 . Capt Burrows was Master, as he was permanent coasting then as a result of some medical condition.
As an aside does anyone know much about Burrows. He was a splendid "Old-man" and features in the WWII section of the Bocklebank story.
Stan

Jim S
24th May 2006, 20:58
Jim,
We must have sailed together as I was deep-sea on the Mahanada with John Hoy as 2nd E, and on return to the UK we docked in Manchester and I had to stay on her coasting through October 62 . Capt Burrows was Master, as he was permanent coasting then as a result of some medical condition.
As an aside does anyone know much about Burrows. He was a splendid "Old-man" and features in the WWII section of the Bocklebank story.
Stan
Hi Stan,
Yes we must have been on Mahanada at same time - I signed on at Manchester on 5th October 1962 as 5th Eng and signed off at Birkenhead on 12 November. We were sailing across the North Sea in fog one morning and John Hoy had sent me up to the windlass to carry out some repair or other - I can't remember the detail. Anyway I did not get the job done as I decided that the nuts needed splitting with a hammer and chisel - I had just started banging away when there was a bellow from Capt Burrows, - "My complements to the 2nd Engineer but will you stop that noise". my banging away with hammer and chisel was in conflict with his listening for other ships in the fog. My other recollection of that coastal was John Hoy taking the engine room ladders two at a time and his torch fell out of his pocket almost crowning an unsuspecting Ag Wallah. It was one of those heavy Concordia torches that were Brocklebank issue at the time.

It was on this coastal trip that you probably recall, one of the Quartermasters collapsed with a heart attack as we were heading up the Elbe to Hamburg - despite our best efforts under " maximum revs, no notice"
all was in vain as he was pronounced dead before reaching hospital
Jim

Marcus Cardew
25th May 2006, 18:43
Thanks for the welcome.
My Discharge Book reads reads
Masirah 26/6/68-24/7/68 (coastal) Capt JAB Munro
Masirah 5/8/68-18/12/68 Capt Owen Pritchard
Mangla 3/1/69-12/6/69 Capt Phil Pembridge
Maipura 11/7/69-19/12/69 Capt Dennis Keller
Mahout 19/12/69-6/1/70 Capt Phil Pembridge
Scotia 22/6/70-18/10/70 Capt PB Clements
Masirah 10/11/70-20/11/70
Masirah 16/12/70-30/12/70 Capt LBJ Thomas
Malancha 28/1/70-19/5/70 Capt J Moore
Markhor 4/5/72 - 5/9/72 Capt "Paddy" Reddin
Lustrous 14/11/72-19/5/73
Port New Plymouth 21/6/73-8/8/73
Port Caroline 9/8/73-3/9/73

After which I transferred to the Marble Arch Office commercial side with "Eastern Services" division.

What youngster these days would be given such an opportunity? I'd visited such places as the Maldives, Seychelles, Eritrea, India, Gulf, and Great Lakes USA, West Africa, Fiji, Tahiti and Australia, all before my 25th birthday!

It's been said elsewhere, but Brocks were good feeders. Chief Stewards like Les Flockhart and (?) Williams (dapper, had a moustache) made sure of that. Great skippers like Phil Pembridge and Dennis Keller left lasting impressions, along with a succession of engineers, most of whose names escape me, although Phil Morris and a complete head case called McArdle on the Lustrous seem to stick. "Batman" a "sparks" of strange nocturnal habits and fellow deck wallahs such as Colin Kingston, Paddy Roberts, Taff Evans & Bob Winlo spring to mind. There were also people like Tony Spriggins, Hal Ackerley and "Nobby" Grayson who I worked with in the Marble Arch office.

All that and I learned to lash a blue and white ensign to a bamboo pole in order our house flag "flew higher than any other in the British merchant navy".
Happy days!
Mike

Hi Mike,
I just noticed that you left the Masirah a week or so before I joined as 3/O on 27-12-68, When she had #4 & #5 hatches on fire alongside in Dundee.....!
Doing the Coast, was on the Mangla 8-12-69 to 09-01-70, the Mahout 24-1-70 to 08-02-70....
Happy Days!

Tony Crompton
25th May 2006, 20:30
. Capt Burrows was Master, as he was permanent coasting then as a result of some medical condition.
Stan

Presumably you mean Arthur Barrow. He left brocklebanks at the end of the company and became an assistant Harbourmaster here on the Tees. I
remember him from my apprenticeship days in the 1950's as only ever being on the coast and of course knew him well in later life.

Arthur worked here till he retired a number of years ago and sadly died soon after. Sorry not sure of the exact dates.
-------------------------
Tony C

Tony Selman
25th May 2006, 21:22
Marcus, "Batman" was Cliff Watson a Chief R/O who was (in)famous in Brock's for his drinking habits. I think your head case McArdle was probably John(?) McArdle C/E who came from Tyneside somewhere and certainly fitted that description when I was with him on Lucigen in 1965.

grakay
23rd October 2006, 00:52
was Fred McKay THE Fred whose wife once cried out ''Fred, get those ball bearings out of here!'

Mike Wild
23rd October 2006, 14:16
I've recently come in to possession of a bound recollection of the career of Captain Anthony "Tony" Sprigings called "Beyond the Mersey", a personal narrative of Tony's career as a Brocklebank apprentice commencing in 1944 on the old Masirah, through as junior deck officer with British Tankers before moving on to Cunard and a return to Brocklebank as 2nd Mate on the Mathura in February 1953. It follows his career right through to finishing his seagoing career on the Maskeliya in '65 and moving into the office to head the new Works Study Dept in Liverpool, then Marine Superintendent in the Liverpool Dock Office. He covers the merger into Cunard-Brocklebank in 1970 and the office move from Liverpool to London. He completed his service as Cunard Arabian Middle East Line (C.A.M.E.L)'s Jeddah manager.

It's a fascinating account of life at sea in the 50s and 60s.

Included is the Christmas Menu from the Magdapur in 1958. The Captain was J. Richardson, Chief Eng, D. Clark. Others are A.C. Sprigings C/O, J. E. Millichip 2/0, P. J. Lewis 3/0, A. Dunster Acting 4/O, D. G. Comrie 2/E, R. J. C. McLaughlin 3/E, W. Whitelaw J3/E, G. A. Dick 4/E, J. McGuire 4/E, A. P. Shaw J4/E, A. W. Renwick 5/E, J. Lyon Elec, S. Brownall Jnr Elec, J. Sloan Purser, K. C. McGinty Asst Purser, R. Bentley Radio Off, D. T. Courtenay 2nd R/O, J. T. Hurley Carpenter, F. C. Currie, N. J. Smith, W. A. Stuart & J. N. MacGregor all Quartermasters, C. W. Holden, D. Greenhough & A. K. MacLachlan Apprentices.

The menu looks excellent with a choice of 5 starters, Lamb Cutlets, York Ham or traditional Roast Turkey as main courses, all followed by Plum Pudding, Peach Melba, Mince Pies and Christmas cake!

There's also an Asian Crew list showing 72 crew signing on to the Mahanada in Chittagong in 1960.

Puts today's handfull of crew in perspective!

Jim S
23rd October 2006, 22:59
Mike,
Interesting to see all those names on Magdapur Xmas 1958 and see a G.A Dick 4th Eng.
I had the pleasure of doing a couple of coastal trips with G.A (Tony) Dick plus three deep sea trips on Magdapur between 1964 and 1966 with Tony as 2nd Eng. - Sadly Tony passed away some years ago.

rgrenville
7th November 2006, 16:57
Hi Mike, looking at my discharge book we sailed on the New Plymouth together. I was deck cadet at the time, signed on may 1973 and left July 1973. I believe that we took a load of butter to Lenningrad now St Petersbug. We were anchored off for a time and being summer and hot we filled the pool, nobody checked the sea temp I believe it was mid 40's F really got your attention! Drop me a line and let me know how your doing.

Regards

Dick Grenville

Stuart
9th November 2006, 21:02
Greetings Dick,

By my reckoning the next entry in your Discharge Book is the Markhor in October in Lake Charles La. as Third Mate.

I have vague recollections of you and I sharing a couple of bottles of Drambuie during a "Fez" night in Suez. I think we started with Liqueur glasses and ended up with Wine glasses as we got fed up pouring. I can remember being as dry as the desert the next morning as we transited the canal!

Rgds

Stuart
19th November 2006, 18:28
Dick,

My few remaining brain cells that survived the alcohol have had a meeting and have decided that it was not the Markhor, but the Mahout, July 1975 to November 1975 with Capt JG Whyte. The Fez night had been organised by the Purser Keith Franklin.

Rgds.

japottinger
5th December 2006, 00:46
On Miahar Cliff Watson used to stand outside his cabin on the starboard side alleyway with his "radar" turning to home in on anyone who would join him for a beer. The " scanner" was denoted by his right hand making circular motions on his belly!

docgk
1st January 2007, 16:33
Bit of a mystery, but was in Mahseer 1970-1971. 3/O. A cryptic but incomplete note says he was from Newport ( Wales). This picture dated August 1971, so he probably looks a bit different now!