Wick Radio/GKR

R651400
10th October 2008, 03:00
Best coast station footage I've seen so far......

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXhVI5p1mw

loylobby
10th October 2008, 07:52
Thanks for that, most interesting, especially as I hail from Wick and had a cousin who worked at Wick Radio.

Shannoner
10th October 2008, 09:07
I spent two months on a shore job in Wick in 1982. I was working for Racal-Decca Survey, and I had to look after three Trisponder stations that were being used for precession position fixing for the towing out of a pipeline that they were building on shore. Had a great time, stayed in MacKay's hotel. I think my liver has only just recovered after 26 years(Jester) [=P]

Mick

Ron Stringer
10th October 2008, 10:13
Absolutely concentrated nostalgia. So very typical of the 1950s GPO and Ministry of Information films that were shown on TV and at the cinema. Sounds like the same voice-over artist as ''The Night Mail''.

Very stilted voices, clearly non-actors. It is interesting that today's day-time TV shows about paramedics, helicopters, police, RSPA and other services still follow the same formula over half a century later (i.e. short intro about the service and personnel involved, followed by several separate incidents/stories involving them - including one or more emergencies, each alternated by sequences back at the original site).

King Ratt
10th October 2008, 11:30
First time I have ever heard a professional radioman use the expression "over and out".

K urgess
10th October 2008, 12:09
Just the thing to make me sentimental and nostalgic in time for the weekend. (Thumb)(Sad)
The style of production hadn't changed since the old Ministry of Information films of the early 40s.

Tai Pan
10th October 2008, 12:11
Very Good. love the tobacco smoke.

Gareth Jones
10th October 2008, 14:25
The French Radio Operator shown was in fact Alf Hindmarsh filmed aboard the GPO cableship Monarch. Interestingly Alf had B.O.T. Radar ticket number 1.
If you look at this http://it.youtube.com/user/radiocaledonia you will see four similar films covering landsend and portishead radio's also. In fact they "overlap" giving the impression that a larger film has been cut into four bits and edited.

Pat bourke
10th October 2008, 17:05
I have to concur with Marconi Sahib - Kris. I am glad its the weekend. Great memories, and to think my mobile phone has more power than my last radio station. Rehards Pat

Clive Kaine
10th October 2008, 18:05
Great video, really makes me feel nostalgic. Happy days - bloody sight happier than recent times anyway!

R651400
10th October 2008, 18:39
The GKR w/t console was much the same as I remember except the receiver with the semi-circular dial. Anyone any ideas on the model type? The DF goniometer on the left hand side had disappeared by the mid sixties but wonder if it was retained for longer at Wick.

Moulder
10th October 2008, 19:10
Good videos - thanks.
Interesting to see how they maintained standards and used 'cups and saucers' for their 'smoko'. Well done chaps.

(Thumb)

Mimcoman
11th October 2008, 20:30
R651400, I <think> it was an R20 receiver (no relation to the dreaded R50M and not made by Redifon) which was designed and made by the GPO staff at Rugby.

Mimcoman
11th October 2008, 20:33
The GKR film, as stated above, sounds very stilted, Given what's being said, it has the feeling of being scripted - I agree with the "over and out".

Whereas the GLD one is much more true to life. I can relate more to it than to GKR.

R651400
12th October 2008, 08:00
R651400, I <think> it was an R20 receiver (no relation to the dreaded R50M and not made by Redifon) which was designed and made by the GPO staff at Rugby.Thanks Mimcoman. Had a TV team from Grampian visit GND when Aberdeen trawler "Blue Crusader" went down with all hands. Was chosen to do the "star" role on the R/T console but because newscaster was a bit miffed I didn't recognise him when introduced, (couldn't afford a TV on ROII pay), he picked my mate Eddy Jones instead!
The resultant news clip was very much doctored in the fashion of GKR and GLD.

IanSpiden
22nd October 2008, 23:40
one of the operators was a very young Charlie Mearns, he moved to GND and taught me how to do the dreaded accounts in 1982 , He was still smoking the Pipe then, I think he has since passed away unfortunately

R651400
23rd October 2008, 06:07
With a name like Mearns he must have had a yearning to return to GND! I had Tom MacLennan on my 1963 induction course at GKA who opted for Wick and was the RO to send the last message from GKR in 1997.

Chief Engineer's Daughter
23rd October 2008, 17:09
Facsinating wee films. But I did cringe at "over and out" and when that Mayday came in I jumped. Funny how smoking seemed to be so accepted.

IanSpiden
24th October 2008, 17:00
With a name like Mearns he must have had a yearning to return to GND! I had Tom MacLennan on my 1963 induction course at GKA who opted for Wick and was the RO to send the last message from GKR in 1997.

I dont know where Charlie hailed from originally, certainly probably around the GND area , lots of the guys at GND had orgonally started off at GKR and moved , it was a favourite story of most of them that as soon as they got to GKR they put a transfer in to get to GND " to get back to civilisation" I think it was the train journey from Inverness that got to them which was long and tedious and stopped at every station on the way , when I went up there when DOC was in full swing it took 5 hours in a car there are not many dual carriageways up there !!

Rival2
5th May 2012, 20:30
Hi, I'm a new member, In Wick Heritage Museum we have the original equipment of Wick Radio and Audio from previous workers but we would love to run this video to give visitors a better experience. Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the original video on disc?

Rival2

Searcher2004
6th May 2012, 07:01
Also here is a similar one for Portishead Radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr0Z-mtK0Do

Enjoy!

Roger

Graham P Powell
6th May 2012, 09:07
One or two faces I recognise in the GKA film The chap in the grey jacket is Frank Davies. He unfortunately committed suicide sometime in the 1980's.
The first R/O sending morse is Gil Elkes who was school instructor when I started. Gil is still around as far as I know. The next guy is Dai Burt who was
R/O on the Turmoil during the incident with the Flying Enterprise back in the 50's. He is an SK now. Eric Carver and Eddie Grogan are in the landline both now SK's unfortunately.
The huge map was painted on steel sheets during the war. I think by a local firm of signwriters but not sure about that. It was taken down to go to some
BT musuem. Not sure whether or not it made it. Larry and hawkeye might know. The rx's are CR150's. Before my time. When I worked there it was all Racal. Funnily enough I didn't notice anybody smoking. The walls were brown with nicotine stain when I started.
I met a chap the other day who said his dad never quite got over it closing and I know what he means. Much missed by a lot of us!.
rgds
Graham Powell

BobDixon
6th May 2012, 10:03
Hi, I'm a new member, In Wick Heritage Museum we have the original equipment of Wick Radio and Audio from previous workers but we would love to run this video to give visitors a better experience. Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the original video on disc?

Rival2

Hi - I've sent you an e-mail on this subject.

Binnacle
6th May 2012, 10:18
I was rather surprised that a "Mayday" was sent out after experiencing engine trouble, when the vessel was over six miles from land, no indication of bad weather and in no immediate danger. In these circumstances a Pan message would have been more appropriate. I realise that it was all staged Ministry of Info style but they should have done their homework.

IAN M
7th May 2012, 01:54
I worked at GKR in 1953/54 when Bruce Mackie was O/C. Didn't like it all because of split shifts and fixed duties - never had a Saturday off in a whole year and, as the Thorshaven cable was forever breaking down, I was sometimes called out for 2 hours on a Sunday. Had my name down for GND, but there was a waiting list so that I opted for GKL. Never regretted going to Wick where the work itself was interesting as was life in Caithness, but a year was enough. GKL, on the other hand, was very fairly run and a great place to work; and Burnham was a very pleasant town in which to live. Spent 2 years there then resigned to train as a teacher in Edinburgh.

Graham P Powell
7th May 2012, 10:07
Hi ian, If ever the subject of GKR came up at GKA it was over the amount of
overtime they were getting!. I agree with you. As far as the duties etc would allow GKA was fairly well run. Burnham is still quite a pleasant little town with a high street of small businesses and a lovely sea front.
rgds
Graham Powell

BobDixon
7th May 2012, 10:54
I worked at GKR in 1953/54 when Bruce Mackie was O/C. Didn't like it all because of split shifts and fixed duties - never had a Saturday off in a whole year and, as the Thorshaven cable was forever breaking down, I was sometimes called out for 2 hours on a Sunday. Had my name down for GND, but there was a waiting list so that I opted for GKL. Never regretted going to Wick where the work itself was interesting as was life in Caithness, but a year was enough. GKL, on the other hand, was very fairly run and great place to work; and Burnham was a very pleasant town in which to live. Spent 2 years there then resigned to train as a teacher in Edinburgh.

Hi Ian, I've stolen some of the above for http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/gkr/gkr-people.htm.

Any pics of those days - or can I steal you mugshot for the page?

And any stories from then would be welcome!

hawkey01
7th May 2012, 14:20
Bob,

You will be interested in this. This is what my security system responded with when I tried to follow your link.

http://safebrowsing.bullguard.com/bg/safebrowsing.v2/warning.aspx?url=http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/gkr/gkr-people.htm&category=1&lang=1033

Neville - Hawkey01

IAN M
7th May 2012, 14:45
Hi ian, If ever the subject of GKR came up at GKA it was over the amount of
overtime they were getting!. I agree with you. As far as the duties etc would allow GKA was fairly well run. Burnham is still quite a pleasant little town with a high street of small businesses and a lovely sea front.
rgds
Graham Powell

Thanks Graham

I very much enjoyed working at GKA. Froud was O/C at the time. He ran the station very efficiently and the lads were as fine a bunch as you'd wish to meet. I've spent several holidays in Burnham, but, at 87, am now too old and infirm to make the journey. I still exchange Christmas cards with the daughter of my first landlady.

Yours

Ian

IAN M
7th May 2012, 14:57
Hi Ian, I've stolen some of the above for http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/gkr/gkr-people.htm.

Any pics of those days - or can I steal you mugshot for the page?

And any stories from then would be welcome!

What you've done is OK, Bob, but you should have asked my permission first. Use my picture too if you want, but it was taken for my Special Certificate in June, 1943 - ten years before I went to Wick.

I have written quite a bit about both GKR and GKA, but, as my wartime seagoing memoirs have already been published, I hope that these reminiscences will appear in a future book.

Cheers

Ian

BobDixon
10th May 2012, 18:17
Bob,

You will be interested in this. This is what my security system responded with when I tried to follow your link.

http://safebrowsing.bullguard.com/bg/safebrowsing.v2/warning.aspx?url=http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/gkr/gkr-people.htm&category=1&lang=1033

Neville - Hawkey01

Hi Neville,

Thanks for this info. I've run the page through a number of malware checkers and none show any issues. Looked at downloading Bullguard but it conflicts with my existing Antivirus software.

Charlie Gregory
21st May 2012, 20:40
Hello. I'm a new boy here, so I've only just come across the chat about the video. I hope I'm talking about the right video by the way. Anyway, if I am, I can assure everyone that it was not scripted. I know, cos I was in it.
As for the bit about "over and out," well... come on that's a personal thing. I still say it at the end of a phone conversation. It's force of habit. If it's wrong, I don't care - it's me.
And about the stilted bit. After a couple of years in Wick, everyone gets stilted.
By the way, I still get the shakes when I see the bit about the boss (Mowat) looking over people's shoulders. He was a right ^***!!!
By the way... Cheers Bob = Charlie

Charlie Gregory
21st May 2012, 20:52
Hi - I've just come across these threads re the video about GKR. I can assure you it was not scripted. I know cos I was in it. As for it being stilted, after a couple of years in Wick, everyone got stilted. Also... re "Over and out," I used to say that. I still say it at the end of phone calls. Force of habit. If it's wrong I don't care. It's what I do. Cheers Bob = Charlie (Not Mearns)

BobDixon
24th May 2012, 22:36
Hi - I've just come across these threads re the video about GKR. I can assure you it was not scripted. I know cos I was in it. As for it being stilted, after a couple of years in Wick, everyone got stilted. Also... re "Over and out," I used to say that. I still say it at the end of phone calls. Force of habit. If it's wrong I don't care. It's what I do. Cheers Bob = Charlie (Not Mearns)

Hi Charlie - and you had more than a couple of years at Wick !!! (although you did eventually escape!). Yup, old Sandy Mowat had his ways, although I don't think I saw the worst of him. He wouldn't talk to us men if he met us in the street but he would talk to our wives if he met them !! But didn't Bruce Mackie get a bit of a name as an ogre also? I wonder who was worst!!

david.hopcroft
25th May 2012, 19:47
I did a spell of DD at Wick once. Quite memorabe. It was during the the oil boom at the start of PC sitor. One evening only two of us were available. It was very busy on RT and the PC sitor bell kept going keeping us rushing into the landline room. My colleague soon found the answer to that problem - turned it off !

I remember Mr Mowatt one afternoon being quite annoyed that here I was a young lad on DD, on overtime and sat on 12mhz doing nothing.

Dasvid
+

Charlie Gregory
25th May 2012, 20:58
Hi Charlie - and you had more than a couple of years at Wick !!! (although you did eventually escape!). Yup, old Sandy Mowat had his ways, although I don't think I saw the worst of him. He wouldn't talk to us men if he met us in the street but he would talk to our wives if he met them !! But didn't Bruce Mackie get a bit of a name as an ogre also? I wonder who was worst!!

Yep. 16 years, man and boy. I'm very stilted. Only the whisky keeps me happy. I never met Mackie. But Jimmy Kay still had the shakes about him. Apparently he finished off most of his bollockings with "This could affect your pension, Old Man!" Luv it. Cheers Bob.