Wellpark Directory

jasmacpm
12th October 2008, 16:04
Hi, for those who have not yet come across it and wish to read an account of the rescue of almost 350 Vietnamese Boat people, by the crew of the MV Wellpark, some 30 years ago, I would point you in the direction of the Directory section of the site and search for MV Wellpark.

I also wish to congratulate and thank the Pentland Pirate, Mike, for his brilliantly written pieces, which have been added recently. I feel you may have missed your calling?! I can sense the strong emotions this whole saga must have left you all with.

Great work. Keep it up!

Jimmy.

pentlandpirate
30th November 2008, 08:34
With a proposed reunion planned for 2013 in the UK, we are still trying to locate Wellpark crew members from that trip in October 1978. A number of new members have been contacted or found their way to the website, but we still wish to find: (Locations shown are those quoted 30 years ago!)

R.O.C Smith, 2nd Officer of Stirling (might have been Roddy (Roderick) Smith)
R.J Jamieson, 2nd Engineer, of Saltcoats, Ayrshire
R. Clegg, 4th Engineer, Portaferry, Northern Ireland
C.E.Harris, Fireman, Gwent, Wales
P.G. Haywood, Fireman, Gwent, Wales
P.J.Carey, Fireman, Glasgow
T.Logan, Catering Officer, Witham, Essex
D.D.Gallagher, 2nd Cook, Glasgow
M.Savage, Assistant Steward, Belfast, Northern Ireland
D.A.MacFarlane, Assistant Steward, Livingstone
B. Hamilton, Assistant Steward, Glasgow (might have been Barry Hamilton)
J.Bell , Catering Boy, Hamilton, South Lanarkshire
John Langstaff, Chief Petty Officer, Workington, Cumbria
R.E.Bell, Chief Petty Officer, Workington, Cumbria
D. Dixon, Petty Officer, Whitehaven, Cumbria
W.C.MacCartney, Radio Officer, Dunmurray, Northern Ireland
Paul Stewart, Cadet, Greenock, nr Glasgow
David N. Milne, Cadet, Glasgow
Graham C. Bowman, Cadet, Greenock, nr Glasgow
Mark. A. Walker, Cadet, Newquay, Cornwall
S.J.R. Waugh, Cadet, Currie, Nr Edinburgh (might be Steve Waugh)
G. Pearce, Cadet, London. (Think he was Gary Pearce)
Ian S Manson, Cadet, Orkney islands, Scotland but I believe may be in Aberdeen area now.
J.K McConnell, Cadet, Stranraer, Dumfries & Galloway
G.W Anderson, Cadet, Annan, Dumfries & Galloway (may have moved to Australia)
R.M Kelly, Cadet, Greenock, nr Glasgow (might have been Roger Kelly)
Rory D.J.McLean, Cadet, Hamilton, South Lanarkshire
Alistair McPherson, Cadet, Johnstone, nr Glasgow
Michael E Moran, Cadet, Birmingham (always called Mick Moran)

Accounted for:

Deceased:
Andrew Griffin, 2nd Officer
Alistair Berry, Chief Officer

Already on reunion website:
Hector Connell, Captain
Charles E Black, Chief Officer
Graham MacQueen, Chief Officer/Training Officer
Ian Harvey, 3rd Engineer
L.T.Dury, Electrical Officer
Dave Thomson, Cadet
Willie McGhee, Cadet
Mark Ohlenschlager, Cadet
Willie Fraser, Cadet
Craig Holmes, Cadet
Ronnie Beaton, Cadet
Andy Dryburgh, Cadet
Steve Crow, Cadet
David R Currie, Cadet
Gearge A. W. Fink, Cadet
Mike Newton, Cadet

non descript
30th November 2008, 08:58
Hi, for those who have not yet come across it ... I would point you in the direction of the Directory section of the site and search for MV Wellpark.
Jimmy.

Nice words Jimmy, well done. (Thumb) - The link is here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/MV_Wellpark)

jasmacpm
30th November 2008, 21:36
Hi, PP,
I may be wrong, but I think the Smith, you will be looking for is "Ron." You will see him in some of the pics of the Wellpark.
Best of luck in you quest! If I can help, let me know. Wonder if it might be possible to use Friends Reunited?
Jimmy.

xdenholm
2nd December 2008, 17:20
pentaland mike ,L.T.DURY.e/o is that LEN DURY, sailed with him many years ago. on vlcc,s/obos good to hear hes still got all his marbles was he a geordie??? if i remember. paid off with him in dubai?? got agent at time to pay for our drink to!!! but at 3am going to airport he wasnt for arguing that the company payed for officers drink....lol or am i thinking of another lecky????

jasmacpm
4th December 2008, 18:56
Should maybe have added, that I think Ron was 3rd Mate? Hope he doesn't mind if I have demoted him rightly, or wrongly!

Jimmy.

pentlandpirate
4th December 2008, 23:42
Yes that is Len Dury, still living where he was 30 years ago in Fife....and probably still trying to get someone else to pay for an Officer's drink too.

And yes, Jimmy, he is Ron Smith. I have yet to locate him, but I found Mick Moran today.

Has anyone else tried to find a whole ship's crew again after 30 years? (Don't ask why anyone would want to do that!)

Brandane62
4th December 2008, 23:58
Paul Stewart...... I think this is the same Paul Stewart who is now a Sergeant in the Greenock polis. I worked with him on the same shift at Greenock for a few years but he was never very forthcoming about his time at sea. Don't think he lasted long since he must have joined the Police about 1979??

Alastair McPherson.... Another one who jumped ship and joined the Polis. We joined the same day in 1982 and went through the hell of Tulliallan training college together! He got sent to Johntone to work, but after a few years he headed off to join the Hong Kong Police. Last I heard (long time ago) he had married the daughter of a chinese actor and gone off to live on a ranch in California. Who me, jealous?? Never; I just love driving my truck for 8 hours a day on our lovely uncongested avenues!

Al.

jasmacpm
13th December 2008, 15:41
Hi, again, Pirate,

I don't know if it will help your search for fellow crew, but I have made an entry on 'Friends Reunited,' to see if it attracts anyone? It can be found by going to "Groups," then drop down to "Find a Group" and search for "Wellpark." I wan't too obvious in trying to direct anyone to the SN site, as I thought it might not be allowed within their policies, but hopefully anyone reading it, will understand, to shift over here, or get in touch privately?
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Jimmy.

zein
21st December 2008, 22:49
Some of this sounds very familiar. I left Denholm in the summer of 83 and joined the Polis in Dumfries and Galloway. I sailed on the Wellpark, Vancouver Forest, Cast Cormorant and finally the London Team

Thatshark
21st May 2009, 21:24
Hello sir , I just stumbled across this site today and came also came across your posting about the Wellpark reunion for 2013 . I was not a cadet or have I ever sailed on her but I remember and have sailed a few of the names I see mentioned . The one name that jumps out at me is Dougie Dixon from Whitehaven. As far as I am led to believe Dougie died a good few years ago , and I believe he was onboard the Nordic Louissanna at the time . I am sure someone else could confirm this and maybe save you some time in searching . I wish you success with your plan in 2013 and hope that maybe pictures will come on this site so that I can see who is recognisable and who has weathered the best.

Argyll
1st June 2009, 12:11
I don't See alum Mac Millan mentioned he was galley boy at the time .Calum lives in Greenock and is currently Chief cook on Cal Mac Ferry Hebridean Isles on the Kennacraig to Islay run.
Argyll

randcmackenzie
1st June 2009, 22:52
Argyll,

I asked on a previous thread is he a son of Calum MacMillan that was Mate and Master in Denholm's?

Is his father still living?

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

John Cassels
2nd June 2009, 09:45
Roddie ; As well as Calum , there also used to be a R.M.MacMillan also from
Gourock. Strange guy , he was mate on the Cavalier 1965 when I was there.

Ring any bells ?.

randcmackenzie
3rd June 2009, 00:15
Hello John.

Yes, I remember the name, but never came across him. I sailed with Calum 3 times, when he was Mate on Scotstoun and Industria, and Master on Malta Cross.

On another thread, the name Graham Gardiner from Gourock, who was lost on the Air france flight seems to ring some bells. He was only 52, so out of our age group, but could have been cadet or junior officer. Do you recollect the name?

Best Regards,

Roddie.

John Cassels
3rd June 2009, 09:22
Morning Roddie ; R.M. was for sure a funny guy. After the Cavalier , never
heard og him again . Also , no one now in Gourock seems to recollect the
name.
Last time I met up with Calum was yonks ago. When the Queen Mary 2
was sold , he was offered the run job to the Thames and asked me to do
it with him . Job fell through though can't remember why.

Yes , the name Graham Gardiner does ring bells but not sure from where.

Never sailed with him , so it must be a Gourock connection. Will ask youngest
brother as the age group will be more fitting.

Argyll
4th June 2009, 13:42
Argyll,

I asked on a previous thread is he a son of Calum MacMillan that was Mate and Master in Denholm's?

Is his father still living?

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Roddie, sorry I missed that Ouote I askede Calum abt his Father and as far aS I can recall his dad crossed the bar some years ago. I seem to recall Wee calum saying his dad ended up in some coastal company ,I'm off for 4 weeks but I will get the right story when I next sail with him.
Argyll.
PS Due to retire at end of year so having lots of senior moments.

randcmackenzie
5th June 2009, 00:00
No problem Argyll, I think you'll find you won't miss a thing when the day comes to clear your locker.

Calum (senior) was pretty much dry cargo only, so those who didn't get tanker time tended to get squeezed ou.

All the best,

Roddie.

Angus Murray
5th June 2009, 14:01
John
Sailed with both MacMillans. Calum was Master on the Ormsary when i was 3rd Mate there - nice man and easy to get on with. Like yourself, sailed with RM and never heard of him again. He was Mate on the Naess Pioneer (1965)being my second ship after the Crinan. Unfortunately, he did not believe in apprentices studying, and seemed under the impression that they were there purely for maintenance (chipping/painting)and to save deck crew (Spanish) overtime for gangway watches. After a few months he was mercifully replaced by IC Graham who i sailed with many years later on the Euroliner.
Regards
Angus

name.

Gulpers
7th June 2009, 06:58
name.

Roddie/John,

There is a wedding day photograph of Graham Gardner in this (http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/gourock/articles/2009/06/04/388167-friends-tribute-to-planecrash-graham/) Greenock Telegraph article regarding the loss of the Air France flight AF447 from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. Maybe the picture will jog some memories.
Although Graham was closer to my age group, I don't recognise him at all. (Sad)

John Cassels
14th June 2009, 20:01
Thanks Ray , had seen it.

Now the wife tells me that she thinks I sailed with Graham on one of the
box boats , but I'm still not so sure.
Wonderful thing the memory ; at our age !!!.

randcmackenzie
14th June 2009, 22:09
He looks familiar to me, and so does his name, but the retreival system refuses to divulge why.

rumdram
25th September 2009, 02:04
John
Sailed with both MacMillans. Calum was Master on the Ormsary when i was 3rd Mate there - nice man and easy to get on with. Like yourself, sailed with RM and never heard of him again. He was Mate on the Naess Pioneer (1965)being my second ship after the Crinan. Unfortunately, he did not believe in apprentices studying, and seemed under the impression that they were there purely for maintenance (chipping/painting)and to save deck crew (Spanish) overtime for gangway watches. After a few months he was mercifully replaced by IC Graham who i sailed with many years later on the Euroliner.
Regards
Angus

Served my time with Watts Watts & Co, Threadneedle Str. London. Family owned business, family members selling up left family stalwarts managing Gulf Tankers (Europe) . Previously in the ownership business and not happy with the management business the remaining family transferred their interests and seafaring employees to the upcoming Denholm Management Group. This is where I became a Denholm employee, early 60s. My first vessel as 2/0 , in fact my first trip as 2/O, was Ormsary, and I dont thnk Im wrong that Calum was master at that time, ironically (from another thread) Dougie Naismith was mate. I think I was the first Englishman to be introduced to the Scottish OBO fleet, although not a football fan myself, you can guess the year it was when England beat Scotland for the cup, being the only Englishman aboard not only did I not get served at meal times but I had to cook my own meals, if the cook had left something for me,for the complete voyage. We had a Nigerian 3rd Mate surname Utang, I always remember when he called me on the phone (wind-up type) for the night watch Id answer "You rang, Utang"

LESLEYPARRY
4th September 2010, 15:29
Hello Im Lesley Parry Daughter Of The Late Dougie Dixon,my Dad Died In January 1979 On Board Thenordic Louisianna.

LESLEYPARRY
4th September 2010, 15:32
Yes Doudie Dixon Died In January 1979.on Board The Nordic Loisianna.