The Mighty Hood

Alan Blair
11th July 2005, 12:29
I had to retire a few years ago on medical grounds and took up painting, I've always like ships and so I was able to combine my love of the great ships and painting, this is one I did of The Hood at Scapa in the crisp morning air, let me know what you think----------Alan

Fairfield
11th July 2005, 13:47
Beautiful.Such a sad loss.

John Rogers
11th July 2005, 14:45
I have a nice picture of the Hood. Sank by the Bismarck may 24th 1941 only three survivors pulled from the sea. Sad loss indeed,I remember the people going around as if they were in a trance when the news of the sinking was in the papers. As Ron would say "I was a wee lad" of 10 when it happened.

Alan Blair
12th July 2005, 00:08
Thank you Ron

Thank you Paul, I never saw the Hood but I did see some of the mothball fleet in the Gareloch these ships were magnificent to behold, and the Hood was one of the most impressive, I had a friend who served in the Navy and he was talking to some of the men who served on the Hood and they all agreed she was a beautiful looking ship, but shook herself to death at anything approaching twenty Knots.

Thanks John I would like to see that picture if it's possible many thanks.

I'll try and load a bigger pic of the painting, I think it's loaded---many thanks-------Alan

Alan Blair
12th July 2005, 14:44
Thanks Dave I tried that site some excellent photos----------Alan

Santos
12th July 2005, 21:31
Alan,

Congratulations, a super picture.

There is a program often shown on the Sky Discovery Channel just lately all about the Hood and Bismark.

They discovered the wreck of Hood and filmed it, fantastic pictures. They brought the last living survivor Ted ( Briggs I think ) to the site and showed him the video pictures of the wreck. It was quite emotional. ( I belive that Ted has since died, glad he was able to complete the trip ).

They then went on to visit the wreck of the Bismark and filmed that. Fantastic pictures too.

The program was in two parts. part one devoted to the Hood and Part 2 to the Bismark.

Its well worth watching if you have Sky or get someone to record it for you
if you dont. I heartily recommend it.

Chris.

Alan Blair
13th July 2005, 00:41
Thanks Chris I've seen the program, it is a great program especially when you see the unmistakeable shape of the Hood's bow, and the swastika on the Bismark's deck, memorable program, thanks very much-----Alan

mcook
16th July 2005, 15:35
A fine painting; well done.

An interesting thread to HMS Hood is the story of the 'E' class destroyer
HMS Electra. She was the ship that picked up the 3 survivors of Hood's
sinking.

Later sent to the far east, she took part in the Battle of the Java Sea, where
a mixed force of US, British, Australian and (?) NZ ships tackled a much
larger Japanese fleet. Apart from a few US destroyers the entire allied
fleet was sunk. Electra was attempting to defend a damaged cruiser. Her
tactic was to lay heavy smoke and make attacking charges through this
smoke and then retreat back through it. On about her third forray she was
unfortunate enough to emerge from the smoke-screen directly under the
guns of a Japanese destroyer, which soon sank the Electra.
Her epitaph in the official war records went something like;

"HMS Electra went through the smoke and was seen no more"

I am writing this off the top of my head having read the story many years ago
which was published by the sole surviving deck officer from the Electra, who, together with several other crew members, spent several months avoiding Japanese capture
prior to making it back to safety.

malcolm

Alan Blair
20th July 2005, 08:17
Thanks Malcolm, very interesting story , poor Electra, fascinating the twists and turns of fate----------------Alan

R58484956
20th July 2005, 11:54
Met an RN captain once and the subject came up Queen Mary/Curacao and I said something like "What were the watchkeepers doing, sleeping, not to see her" to which he replied "I most certainly was not asleep. He was on bridge at the time. Time to change subject I thought.

johnjames06
22nd January 2011, 22:59
Hi Alan, Lovely painting ,well done, The poor Hood, such an old weak outdated over rated ship that should have never been within a million miles of a real battleship, as events proved. These days the Admiralty would have been done with corporate manslaughter. John.(MAD)(MAD)(MAD)

Bill Forster
26th January 2011, 22:12
I guess there are probably more paintings of HMS HOOD than any other warship - with the exception of HMS VICTORY.

Here's one you may not have seen: http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/Tufnell.html

Does anybody know more about the artist?

If you do please let me know.

This page is DRAFT only.

Bill Forster

Thats another Story
27th January 2011, 10:30
very well done Alan excellent painting.john(Applause)

Satanic Mechanic
27th January 2011, 10:43
(Sad)Hi Alan, Lovely painting ,well done, The poor Hood, such an old weak outdated over rated ship that should have never been within a million miles of a real battleship, as events proved. These days the Admiralty would have been done with corporate manslaughter. John.(MAD)(MAD)(MAD)

The Bismark was another beautiful looking ship and technology wise right on the edge and yet without a functioning rudder - a lamb for the slaughter. Several thousand dead just to prove the day of the great ship was over - bit of waste really in the end (Sad)

v.nice paintings of a by-gone age (Thumb)

BCRenown
29th January 2011, 01:21
Alan

My truthful opinion to be expressed here; I think you have some work to do if you intend to provide us with an accurate representation of "the pride of the Royal Navy".

Please do not take my comment as a negative criticism of your work, but rather as an encouragement to do better. Feel free to mail me for advice on how to make your painting more accurate. I'd be more than happy to help.

Warmest regards,

Monty

charles henry
30th January 2011, 14:50
The Hood was certainly "publicised" a lot prior to the war. Remember that I had a "dinky toy" of her.

However she turned out to be a stupid ship built for glamour and publicity not for fighting. She was a floating, vulnerable death trap for thousands of good men.

Long time ago but my memory tells me the torpedoes came from aircraft launched by the Bismark, but could be wrong.

A sad happening caused by lack of knowledge in design and the desire to have the BIGGEST battleship
in the world. Unfortunately also the worste.

Chas

johnjames06
30th January 2011, 18:07
Charles, I did'nt understand the bit about the torpedoes. I did'nt know they were involved in the Hood's demise.

BCRenown
30th January 2011, 19:05
When HMS Hood was completed in 1920, she was as well protected as any capital ship in the Royal Navy. Designed before the Battle Jutland, Hood unfortunately, did not incorporate all of the lessens learnt from the battle. Nevertheless some 5000 tons of extra armour was worked in. Being so new, she remained low on the list for major the upgrading that was rightfully employed in older and weaker ships. Even so, I can think of numerous battleships and battlecruisers that were weaker than Hood, even in 1941.

Although at first suggested, Hood's torpedo tubes have since been ruled out as a probable cause for her loss.

I think there is general agreement among many naval experts to the point that; given the chance to repeat the Battle of the Denmark Strait, Hood and prince of Wales would win at least 7 times out of 10. Hood took an unlucky hit that was highly unlikely to recur and she would have at least lasted longer 9 times out of 10.

Monty

johnjames06
30th January 2011, 21:12
bcrenown, My late dad was a chief gunnery instructor who served in the war and you have just said something that used to enrage him over the years " the Bismark hit the Hood with a lucky shot". He would argue that the German gunners got all their calculations correct and that it was a perfect shot, nothing lucky about it at all. My opinion is that being a flimsy battlecruiser she should never have engaged Bismark. As for Prince of Wales, she could'nt hit the fleet canteen if she was tied up alongside. (Cloud)

BCRenown
30th January 2011, 22:15
Well John, I did not say Bismarck made a "lucky shot". I said "Hood took an unlucky hit". There is a difference. It is quite likely that had Bismarck's shell hit somewhere else, Hood would not have blown up but it still would have been good shooting. In fact, I think Bismarck's shooting was quite good.

As for Prince of Wales' shooting, she did hit Bismarck three times and effectively mission-killed her. Her shooting wasn't bad either, especially when we consider she had nowhere the time to work up her crew and equipment that Bismarck had.

Monty

charles henry
1st February 2011, 14:45
Charles, I did'nt understand the bit about the torpedoes. I did'nt know they were involved in the Hood's demise.

She was hit by two torpedoes, my memory tells me that they came from a plane or planes launched by the Bismark, however its a long time ago so I could be wrong as to where the torpedoes came from.

The pride of the British navy sunk by a "lesser force" first time she saw an enemy.

But it was a great dinky toy

chas

WilliamH
1st February 2011, 15:22
Charles Henry; you are wrong the HOOD was sunk by shell fire from the Bismark or her consort.

markwarner
2nd February 2011, 12:55
You are correct William. It was Bismark that was hit by torpedoes not Hood.

charles henry
2nd February 2011, 14:48
Charles Henry; you are wrong the HOOD was sunk by shell fire from the Bismark or her consort.

OK schoolboy memories are often wrong
de chas

MightyHood
8th March 2011, 18:39
My Uncle went down with the Hood and as such have i taken a keen interest.Although she was an old ship, she did still have serious fire power .There was a lot of factors why the ship was lost,and of these both the Hood and POW opening fire on the wrong ship was a costly error and if the POW was fully worked up things may have been different.

neil t
8th March 2011, 22:38
Excellent painting of HMS Hood, Alan.

TCC
23rd March 2011, 19:49
The Hood was certainly "publicised" a lot prior to the war. Remember that I had a "dinky toy" of her.

However she turned out to be a stupid ship built for glamour and publicity not for fighting. She was a floating, vulnerable death trap for thousands of good men.

Long time ago but my memory tells me the torpedoes came from aircraft launched by the Bismark, but could be wrong.

A sad happening caused by lack of knowledge in design and the desire to have the BIGGEST battleship
in the world. Unfortunately also the worste.

Chas

Chas, that's a bit extreme, no? The Royal Yachts are built for 'glamour and publicity', the HOOD was built for war fighting. The fact she saw most of her service between the wars on 'glamour and pubicity' cruises doesn't detract from what she was designed for.

From my little understanding of HOOD, she ticked all the bodes regards gun size, armour thickness, etc, and was a rough match for BISMARCK... but the latter was more of a comprehensive package while HOOD got there by hotch-potch refits and remodelling.

My mother tells me my aunty Mary used to write to a sailor on HOOD... but he stopped writing!

E.Martin
24th March 2011, 17:27
Have just read the various comments about HMS Hood in my mind a beautiful
ship but was only any good at Showing the Flag as kids before WW2 we were all proud of her.
Only time she came up against an enemy that fired back she was sunk,if the POW had not scarped she would have got the same,she had her armour in the wrong place for the modern guns of the Bismark,if the shells had hit the Hoods
sides it might have been a differant story but the shells came down on the deck of the Hood where there was no armourment,as someone said in a earlier comment the crew were led to the slaughter.

MightyHood
24th March 2011, 20:52
One of the problems was that Hood and POW could only open fire with their forward guns (due to their angle of attack) so obviously reducing their accuracy/firepower by 50% .Also with hindsight the POW should have been the lead ship to give Hood some protection.The criticism of POW is unfair as she hit the Bismarck which started the demise of the German ship on her one and only sortie.
Wether its true or not, i read that if the Germans had known they were up agaisnt Hood they would have turned away and not engaged,as the Hood was held in high esteem by the German navy.

TCC
25th March 2011, 13:02
One of the problems was that Hood and POW could only open fire with their forward guns (due to their angle of attack) so obviously reducing their accuracy/firepower by 50%

But this seems a sound tactical idea as this is Holland trying to get the ship through the danger zone (or plunging fire) and into a nearer range where the shells arrive with more of a flatter tradjectory. Isn't it?

I don't know. I'm reading this at the mo:

http://navweaps.com/index_inro/INRO_Hood_p1.htm

I'll grant you masking the X & Y arcs is not a good policy but they fluffed the initial meeting, didn't they? (or he, Holland!) These are the attacking ships so these held the initial advantage of surprise. Though I'd think the german admiral would expect the following cruisers to be call uping heavy units at some point in the nearfuture. But the german admiral didn't know what would arrive, when and how many.

The tableon page 1 of that article give the immune zone as 22,500 to 29,500 yds. I understand the immune zone as:

You want to be as far away from the enemy canon as possible so as to waste as much kinetic energy from the shells as possible before they arrive against your side armour and don't pierce it [22,500yds]. BUT you don't want to be too far away as then the shells arrive steeply and against the deck. [they give 29,500yds in that article. But the propeties of plunging fire belongs to the firing gun, not the armour of the recieving ship. Evidently, I need to read more on this. Anyone?]

But let me take the 29,500yds as the far limit of the 'immune zone', HOOD and POW where within this when they initiated fire against BISMARCK. Holland is correct in fighting the HOOD at this distance.

NickNZ
31st March 2011, 08:19
Maybe, the people that should have that explained to, are the descendants of the crew of HMS Hood.
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but a lot of good ships have been lost, due to poor leadership.
It used to be the Admirals, I fear these days it is the politicians.

MightyHood
1st April 2011, 00:41
My opinion only,but i dont think it was poor leadership why the Hood was lost,more the case it was just one of those days, on another day if everything had gone to plan there may have been a different outcome.

Thats another Story
1st April 2011, 07:33
is it true was cordite stowed above the magazine and Bismark had a lucky shot john