Slide scanner, which one ?

dinsdale
13th July 2005, 22:32
Help,
Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a good slide scanner, it just seems to be a minefield out there.

What sort of money do I need to pay for a decent one, and what make do I go for.

Your experiences would be gratefully recieved.

Dinsdale.

Tom Haywood
15th July 2005, 05:10
I am now looking at purchasing a scanner (this years tax cheque) so that I can post some of the mountain of slides I have found from my NZS days.
I have been told that the Cannon "Canoscan" 8400F is one of the best for slide work.
Comments please from the experts.

Tom Haywood

Doug Rogers
15th July 2005, 05:43
Tom,
I am no expert in this at all, other members are much better qualified in this respect than I, but for what its worth..here goes. I guess it depends on what you want it for and the quality you want. I use a HP Scanjet 3770 flatbed scanner which allows me to scan articles, photos negatives etc. Quality is good. About a year old now.I am sure that the Cannon 8400F is more than adequate...but consider do you really only want to use it for slides, look at the other perameters of what it does and how easily it does them before you make a decision. I looked at four scanners, the HP was second dearest in the line up and second best performer...but I bought it as a special in a sale that was on and it came out second cheapest!!. Hope that helps...good luck and look forward to your slides!!.

Tom Haywood
17th July 2005, 23:01
Thks Doug, guess its going to take a bit of homework to determine what I realy need. The main reqirement is to scan and record/save slides taken in the mid 60's.
Appart from the interest I have with this site it has also gavanised me into sorting these slides before I loose them and their memories.

Tom Haywood

Doug Rogers
18th July 2005, 01:22
Thks Doug, guess its going to take a bit of homework to determine what I realy need. The main reqirement is to scan and record/save slides taken in the mid 60's.
Appart from the interest I have with this site it has also gavanised me into sorting these slides before I loose them and their memories.

Tom Haywood

Well your next problem is going to occur as and when you decide which to purchase. Then you have to connect it up and start using it!!.
Actually I joke, its all very straight forward and the fun you can have playing with the scans is just something else again.

Tom Haywood
18th July 2005, 04:39
Thanks Zelda, great site just what I need, good to see what the experts say. Now in my favorites for later reference.

Tom Haywood

gadgee
28th July 2005, 12:15
Hi

I use a Canon 4200F from PC world - cost 90 and find it very good. It has a built in adapter for 35mm transparencies( 4 fit in at one time); also the same adapter takes 2 photo slides. The software with it is Arcsoft and allows you to enhance, remove scratches, etc very well. All my pics on this website were processed using this scanner. Some were 40 plus years old.
Regards
Paul (*))

Rusty
31st July 2005, 17:05
Hit Tony,
I didn't realise they allowed Engineers out to take photos. They always seemed to be down below on watch at sea and in port they were always taking the engines apart and putting them back together again.
Anyway, it just depends on how much you want to spend on a scanner. But whichever one you choose, try and ensure it has ICE technology in the software. This automatically ignores dust and scratches and allows you to improve the colours, so that really grotty, under-exposed shots come out looking great.
I have a Nikon Coolscan III, which is now obsolete, so I got it from Jessops reduced at 250 (600+ new!). Once you have chosen your model it is well worth asking Jessops if they have any discontinued or demo models available.
Rusty

dinsdale
31st July 2005, 23:11
Hi Gadgee,
were your pics photo's or transparencies ?
Cheers,

Dinsdale

Doug Rogers
1st August 2005, 02:16
Thanks for that information Dave, food for thought I think. Having had German cameras for many years I have always used German film..always seemed to give better results. Have used other brands in times of need with good results, but German was always best...but now I dont use any film!!. A sign of the times and the digital revolution!!.

gadgee
1st August 2005, 08:52
Hi Dinsdale

Well I have a complete mix of scanned prints, colour slides, colour negatives and blackwhite negatives. The Canon 4200F coped with them all and I am very pleased - only had it a few months. It takes up to four negatives, or 2 slides at a time. It comes with ArcSoft Photo Studio 5.5 which is adequate for me at present.
Regards
paul

Hi Gadgee,
were your pics photo's or transparencies ?
Cheers,

Dinsdale

Rusty
9th August 2005, 09:51
A word of caution. If like me your photo slide collection is on Kodachrome II, then don't expect ICE technology to work. In the past decades the formulation and process for the film has changed up to 25 times, and in some circumstances you may get lucky and have some slides for which ICE works. ICE creates an infra red channel and concludes that anything that does/doesn't show up on the infra red is dust etc ( I can't remember which)

The developing process for Kodachrome II has, over the years, left varying amounts of some chemical, (I forget what) on the film. This does no harm but blocks infra red. Hence ICE can either work if you are lucky or filter out huge chunks of the picture if you're not.

It is thought that you can wash the film again to remove the residue. Some people with nothing better to do have tried this with varying results.

Cheers,

Dave (Thumb)

Thanks Dave for that technical info. which explains why occasionally the 'magic button' makes things worse rather than better. Although I have to say that it nearly always improves things, sometimes dramatically. I do find it irritating, however, that I cannot work out how to go back once the button has been pressed - the only solution seems to be to scan another slide and then do the 1st one again. I haven't even thought of washing the slides and certainly wouldn't risk doing that, just in case.

Rusty

andysk
17th August 2005, 16:12
I purchased an Epson 4990 a few weeks ago - very pleased with it so far. Note that in the UK you can price match at Jessops, I got mine down from 350 to 290 that way by getting a lsit of prices from www.pricerunner.com and taking it in to my local branch. Took them less than a week to get it for me. The advantage there is that you have a physical location to take it back to if anything does go wrong.

A superb review (and other things including discussion forums) site is Vincent Oliver's at www.photo-i.co.uk

Cheers

Andy

peterhamb
31st August 2005, 10:58
Just spoke to my brother on this issue (he is a photographer) and he highly recommends the Minolta/Konica Dimage 5400 Mk2. Also Leica Fotographic International (LFI) rated the Minolta the best.

I have (peterhamb) seen the results of old slides scanned with this perticular scanner and they are amazing! It works very well with Kodachrome too.

It's worth having a look at it. Good luck!

Cheers

Pete

P.S. Will post a sample slide shortly.

xmastree
2nd September 2005, 02:05
I'm just looking at PC Format, july 2005 issue where they have a group test of scanners.

In their opinion:
95% Epson Perfection 3170 125
92% Epson Perfection 2480 75
85% Canon CanoScan 4200 85
80% Canon LiDE 500F 127

For transparencies, the epson 3170 holdx 12x35mm strips, which is way better than the others.

gand00k1n
30th October 2005, 09:28
Dinsdale,
which scanner did you buy in the end? I have the same thoughts as you did, minefield etc.

Gand00k1n

Bruce Carson
30th October 2005, 13:17
Hi:
Before I buy anything in the computer field, I make a quick check of PC Magazine online reviews. Use the sarch box to get to scanners.
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,22,00.asp
Often times they have reviews of what you're looking for and I've always found them reliable.
There are others, CNet etc., that also have decent reviews.

Bruce C.

rickles23
29th June 2007, 07:00
As XP Windows will not run my Jenscan 21, which is a dedicated Slide copier, I went hunting in Ebay and found a Medion scanner which also scans slides and negatives for Aus$80.

It does a pretty good job until I figure a way of getting XP to cooperate.

Regards
29 06 07

Pat McCardle
29th June 2007, 09:54
I have a HP 3770 digital flatbed scanner with the attachment fitted for slides. All works well for me. I got it a few years ago for £45

Jan Hendrik
29th June 2007, 14:14
I have been tossing a coin between Epson 4990 and Canon 9550F.
In the end I chose the latter for reasons of speed and the fact you can scan 12 slides at the time.

It works very well, both slides and colour negatives.
Software provided is photostudio 5.5 and Photoshop Elements.
You scan everything in Photostudio and do scratch removals (Manual - DO NOT use automatic!) and do any colour changes in the Photoshop elements.
Brilliant results. I am very pleased.

For any specific info please send a PM as I made a full report for Steve's digicams which could be very useful in case you purchase the Canon 9550F.
It has replaced 8400F . It was not the cheapest, I paid AUD 731 or abt EURO 460
Of course it also scans b/w and colour documents etc, like any other scanner.
Jan

Allan Wareing
29th June 2007, 16:31
Help,
Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a good slide scanner, it just seems to be a minefield out there.

What sort of money do I need to pay for a decent one, and what make do I go for.

Your experiences would be gratefully recieved.

Dinsdale.

Hi Dinsdale,
Very interested in the replys to your request. I've been using a Canoscan 3000F for the last couple of years with no problems.It will only handle single colour slides or B/W negatives. Most of my colour slides are in excess of 50years old,nearly all Kodachrome so most of the limitations are in the slides themselves. I'm still surprised how most of them have held their colour over the years. Only having a "10 knot brain" I sometimes get tied up with the soft ware though. Good luck with your scanning.
Cheers, Allan

rickles23
20th July 2007, 13:24
As an update and in case anyone has a Jenscan 21 and wants to run it in XP Home Edition.

I now know how to do it!..(==D)

railroadbill
29th February 2008, 19:01
Veho VFS-001 Film Scanner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer your old 35mm negatives or slides onto your PC ready for editing
Bought this really superb & fast 35mm film and slides scanner.
It does not require a power supply as it uses your USB2 only connection.
I was amazed at the quality of the scans. The image sensor is a 1/1.8 inch 5 mega CMOS sensor (5,174,400 pixles)
Needs Windows XP or Vista (32-bits).
I can now scan all my slides and film negatives very fast and I am really pleased with the results.
Price is currently 64.95 inc vat and free postage and you can obtain this from:
novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?VEH-VFS001
Get it whilst you can at this price.

Hank
2nd March 2008, 15:18
As an update and in case anyone has a Jenscan 21 and wants to run it in XP Home Edition.

I now know how to do it!..(==D)

I'd be grateful if you would tell us how to do it. My son downloaded some kind of driver last time he was up here (don't ask me how or what!) bur it will now only scan one slide at a time and it seems a bit slower than it was to me.
Regards,
John

Bob Preston
14th March 2008, 21:06
I have just got a Canon 8800f . It will scan 4 slides or 12 negs at once. I don't bother with the built in editing but go straight into Photoshop Elements 5 for all editing. It is far more powerful, plus I know my way round it. Up to now I am impressed with it.

Bob