E-Mail problem

Pompeyfan
25th October 2008, 19:40
I have an e-mail programme called Thunderbird. Until today it has worked well. This morning when I turned it on it asked me to put in my password as if the programme was not set up. Every time I did the programme would not accept it either saying invalid or saying the pop server responded: onnect because athentication was too long. Two different error messages. My server is Orange, but both outgoing and incoming is freeserve.com which still works. I have run anti virus and spyware programmes thinking it could be that, but still nothing. I then did system restore, but had the same problem. I tried getting e-mails directly through Orange which worked okay with e-mail address and password, but no new mail which is odd because I always have junk mail.

Any ideas?.

David

senior pilot
25th October 2008, 20:03
try uninstalling it then reinstall it again. i found this cleared up a few problems with my mail program plus doing so you get the latest version alex

Santos
25th October 2008, 20:05
David,

I used to be with Orange, ( Freeserve & Wanadoo ) and had this problem with them quite often. I was told but cannot verify it, that they block the E mail system because they have not got the capacity to run serve it and they open it once the pressure has eased.

It is also said, again I cannot verify, that they block the Ports to stop incoming mail. I also experienced difficulty sending to Hot Mail addresses.

Needless to say I left Orange following me being cut off for 5 weeks and them saying that there was a fault on my line which they were trying to fix -
Oh Yea - it took the intervention of the Omsbudsman before they would release me and give me a mac code.

I am now with BT and fingers crossed - OK

See here (http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/) for E Mail problems with Orange.

Chris.

Pompeyfan
25th October 2008, 20:57
Many thanks Alex and Chris

I wondered about reinstalling. If I do that, how do you save e-mail addresses?.

And I will look into Orange Chris. In fact, I am thinking of changing servers.

I am been looking at Sky getting the sport and broadband for the same as I pay now for just Sky on its own. Or has members any other ideas for cheaper sites. I am paying 17.99 at present.

David

lesbryan
25th October 2008, 21:10
I have an e-mail programme called Thunderbird. Until today it has worked well. This morning when I turned it on it asked me to put in my password as if the programme was not set up. Every time I did the programme would not accept it either saying invalid or saying the pop server responded: onnect because athentication was too long. Two different error messages. My server is Orange, but both outgoing and incoming is freeserve.com which still works. I have run anti virus and spyware programmes thinking it could be that, but still nothing. I then did system restore, but had the same problem. I tried getting e-mails directly through Orange which worked okay with e-mail address and password, but no new mail which is odd because I always have junk mail.

Any ideas?.

David

I use webnail within the server (no problems co's its within the ISP).But i do have vista and also use windows mail there either just make sure your pop and your smpt are set up as they should you should be OK Unless as you say they do actualy block mail from time to time if that is the case you are better off without them !!(EEK)

Pompeyfan
25th October 2008, 21:35
Thanks Les

Yes, the pop and smpt are the same as they were, I changed nothing. This just happened without me doing anything. I am still on XP.

David

lesbryan
25th October 2008, 21:54
How does office outlook or outlook express run ??

kwg
26th October 2008, 14:43
Have a look at your Orange 'webmail account'....might be full, if it's not, I would try a system restore back to the day before your problems...that's what it's there for.

R651400
26th October 2008, 14:51
Did it happen about the same time as chameleon Harry Redknapp changing his colours yet again?

Pompeyfan
27th October 2008, 12:22
Have a look at your Orange 'webmail account'....might be full, if it's not, I would try a system restore back to the day before your problems...that's what it's there for.

I have deleted a lot on the Orange e-mail account. I tried system restore but the same thing happened. Oddly enough I can send, but not receive via the programme but I can receive via Orange main page account. It is just Thunderbird that is playing up. When I go to send mail it asks for password and then rejects it. There cannot be too much wrong if the programme sends. Perhaps this info will help solve it?.

David

Pompeyfan
27th October 2008, 12:26
Did it happen about the same time as chameleon Harry Redknapp changing his colours yet again?

I was so busy trying to work the e-mail problems out Saturday evening and Sunday morning that I knew nothing about Judas going again until a friend phoned me. We had a game yesterday, and the crowd were not too pleased!. Basically the club is in money problems which is one reason why he jumped ship yet again.

David

BobClay
27th October 2008, 12:55
I'm not familiar with Thunderbird but assume it is set up as per usual with your POP3 and SMTP servers. If you can send, then the username/password settings must be correct. You should check the SMTP server setting, even entering it all in again if necessary. If that is ok, then I would have to say the fault is at the other end, not on your machine.

hawkey01
27th October 2008, 12:58
David,
with regard to the email. I have had the odd problem in the past and have just reset all my pop3 etc. Log out and it then it was OK. Ref Orange - I have been with them for years since Freeserve days - like you I was paying 17.99 pm but rang them and requested a mac number to move to a cheaper and then faster broadband system. They put me on hold and then transferred me to a UK person and I now have Livebox with upto 8mcs broadband - if it ever gets that high. Has run at 7mcs sometimes. Now paying the princely sum of 9.99 pm and also have free phone calls via an 0845 number at certain times. Worth a try.

Hawkey01

Pompeyfan
27th October 2008, 13:39
David,
with regard to the email. I have had the odd problem in the past and have just reset all my pop3 etc. Log out and it then it was OK. Ref Orange - I have been with them for years since Freeserve days - like you I was paying 17.99 pm but rang them and requested a mac number to move to a cheaper and then faster broadband system. They put me on hold and then transferred me to a UK person and I now have Livebox with upto 8mcs broadband - if it ever gets that high. Has run at 7mcs sometimes. Now paying the princely sum of 9.99 pm and also have free phone calls via an 0845 number at certain times. Worth a try.

Hawkey01

Thanks Hawkey, will give it a try. Do you still use pop.freeserve.com. The outgoing works okay, it is just the incoming. I have re-set it all but still the same.

David

hawkey01
27th October 2008, 19:17
David,

No - I use pop.wanadoo.co.uk which as you know was the next one along after freeserve.

Neville - Hawkey01

Pompeyfan
29th October 2008, 13:56
Still no further ahead. The strange thing is that I can send e-mails on same freeserve settings, but not incoming. I set up Outlook Express that I never use with same settings as Thunderbird when it DID work. Again I can send with Outlook, but not receive.

David

lesbryan
29th October 2008, 14:30
You could check that the right ports are open .I thinh they are 25 for outgoing and 120 for incoming also to check you have no other ports open !!

R651400
29th October 2008, 14:31
Go to Start menu and click on Set program access and default.
Click the Custom bar which will bring up your default progs including outlook express and other email progs. Choose only Outlook Express as default disabling completely Thunderbird and any others.
If Outlook express is operational you should be able to send and receive emails to yourself. If not you have to reset your accounts via the OE tools
menu.
Once OE is fully operational uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird which should import the account settings from default OE.
Set Thunderbird as default em prog.

Pompeyfan
29th October 2008, 22:48
You could check that the right ports are open .I thinh they are 25 for outgoing and 120 for incoming also to check you have no other ports open !!

I will check those. Many thanks. And many thanks for other members ideas. I am checking it all out.

David

Pompeyfan
29th October 2008, 22:58
Go to Start menu and click on Set program access and default.
Click the Custom bar which will bring up your default progs including outlook express and other email progs. Choose only Outlook Express as default disabling completely Thunderbird and any others.
If Outlook express is operational you should be able to send and receive emails to yourself. If not you have to reset your accounts via the OE tools
menu.
Once OE is fully operational uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird which should import the account settings from default OE.
Set Thunderbird as default em prog.

I will try this, but I have set up Outlook Express again as default. Just like Thunderbird, it sends but do not receive. Could my anti virus or firewall or something be blocking incoming mail?. However, I can receive incoming mail directly via Orange. It is via a programme that I have problems.

By the way I have deleted all e-mails from Orange.

David

kwg
29th October 2008, 23:34
access to Orange email download using Thunderbird rather than MS Outlook. Set up a new email account as follows-

Select Server settings to enter details and outgoing server to enter smtp details

Username: yourname.orangehome.co.uk Note: don't add the @fs at the end

Incoming server: pop.orangehome.co.uk

Outgoing server: smtp.orangehome.co.uk

Password: same as when you log onto Orange netmail

Pompeyfan
30th October 2008, 13:27
access to Orange email download using Thunderbird rather than MS Outlook. Set up a new email account as follows-

Select Server settings to enter details and outgoing server to enter smtp details

Username: yourname.orangehome.co.uk Note: don't add the @fs at the end

Incoming server: pop.orangehome.co.uk

Outgoing server: smtp.orangehome.co.uk

Password: same as when you log onto Orange netmail

Thanks, I will try that, but oddly enough the smtp.Freeserve.com outgoing is okay via Thunderbird and Outlook. It has always been at the setting and still works. But the incoming pop.freeserve.com that worked until only last wee does not with password. It tells me there was a connection, but password was wrong. The problem seems to be with the password. Yet it connects me to Orange, and sends e-mails.

David

duquesa
30th October 2008, 13:35
David, I too use Thunderbird and have done for ages. Generally it is faultless. On a few occassions I have been the culprit when things have gone awry but just once or twice it has been T-Bird. I found, as someone else said, that total uninstall of Thunderbird and Mozilla- reinstall has solved the issue. Good luck.

Pompeyfan
30th October 2008, 15:03
David, I too use Thunderbird and have done for ages. Generally it is faultless. On a few occassions I have been the culprit when things have gone awry but just once or twice it has been T-Bird. I found, as someone else said, that total uninstall of Thunderbird and Mozilla- reinstall has solved the issue. Good luck.

I reinstalled Thunderbird and the computer remembered the settings. I did not have Outlook set up, and it did the same thing. I can send with both Thunderbird and Outlook but not receive.

I have tried your advice kwg, and still nothing. It seems to be the password. The Freeserve.com responds, it is the password blocking it, but my password works okay with Orange home. It is just not working for any e-mail programme because I downloaded another with same problem.

To make matters more annoying the computer bloke I get is not answering. He must be on holiday.

David

Pompeyfan
4th November 2008, 15:33
Problem solved. The computer man did it in seconds costing me 25.

Kwg you were close. He took the @fs out, but the rest was Freeserve.com a I had it, not Orangehome.

The only thing he could not understand is why @fs worked before because I changed nothing. also, the inbox was empty. He could not work that out either.

So although fixed, still a few questions as to why it suddenly played up and asked for password.

David