Lagos 1942

treeve
26th October 2008, 00:03
Please can anyone give any information or advice on which Elder Dempster ship would/could have been in Lagos/Apapa on the 5th December 1942? Elder Dempster were awarded a Claim of 1,006; 8 shillings and 11 pence, following the explosion and fire on that day; the award was paid in 1950. It may be that it was equipment that was damaged, rather than a ship, I know. Best wishes, Raymond

PollY Anna
26th October 2008, 17:06
Would Kew be able to help Raymond I find they are very helpful.

Regards Ron

treeve
26th October 2008, 17:29
I have been in contact with Kew, and that is all the information they have on that Incident, which is not in fact what I was seeking, which is the original investigation and report - all they have in the NA is the financial discussion as to just which Claim was payable and how much. I have written now to the Nigerian Archives, to Lagos Cathedral (another recipient) and to an Elder Dempster enthusiast with a website. I have some names of the various agents and solicitors, but I am leaving that angle until after I have exhausted other avenues. Even the Log page on the event as far as Athelvictor is not forthcoming, as it referrs to the event in the past tense on the entries for the days following. I am gleaning whatever shards I am able from the references in the Log and in the Financial agreements of The Treasury Department. To track down an Elder Dempster ship on a specific day requires that I read the entire Logs for all ED ships of the period, as far as I can see.
Thank you for your suggestion, I should have said more in my initial request. If nothing else transpires, then that is what I will have to do ... Best Wishes, Raymond

treeve
26th October 2008, 22:32
Right - there were 28 ships owned by Elder Dempster afloat in December 1942; Biafra(IV), New Texas, New Toronto, New Brunswick, New Brooklyn, New Columbia, Calgary, Cochrane, Calumet, Inde, Deido, Okuni, Mary Kingsley, David Livingstone, Mary Slessor, William Wilberforce, MacGregor Laird (II), Nevern, Northop, Calabar(III), Nuneaton, Ikpa, Sobo(II), Arete, Nembe(II), Ifon, Sansu (II) and Sangaru (III). If any of these ships jog a memory, for the time of December 1942 near or at Lagos, I would be interested to know anything... Thank you..

eldersuk
27th October 2008, 00:33
Raymond,

The Elder Dempster (unofficial) historian, Jim Cowden, is on holiday in OZ until early December. If you PM or email me round about then I can put you in touch. Unfortunately, being a bit of a luddite, he doesn't have email.

Derek

treeve
27th October 2008, 01:09
That is extremely helpful of you - thank you; all the best, Raymond