Edinburgh

Bob S
14th July 2005, 14:59
I came across EDINBURGH back in 1999 in a dark backwater at Leith (Scotland). Anyone know her history?

insulaner
14th July 2005, 19:20
Hi Bob
She was originally the Ocean Mist many years ago, latterly "Cruise Ship Edinburgh" Currently her wheelhouse has been removed,. there was floating staging around her hull last week, it looks as if she has been repainted. There has been talk of transforming her into office accomodation. she is lying at the Shore by the Commercial Street bridge in Leith.
Regards
Colin

Bob S
16th July 2005, 14:00
Thanks for the info Colin, these ships are often come across but it is imposible to find anything out about them. Normally you can put their name into a search engine and sometimes get a result but EDINBURGH would have been a long shot.

(Thumb)

WLH
16th July 2005, 15:38
Try searching Ocean Mist, Samuel Green, article by WLH covers same.

Bob S
16th July 2005, 16:10
Thanks Walter, It's easy when you know where to look.
Great article.

Fairfield
16th July 2005, 19:23
I believe she has now been broken up completely.Sad if this is indeed the case.Was never on board but saw her many times and she always looked good.

insulaner
16th July 2005, 21:48
No
Still in the water of Leith, minus her wheelhouse, some work is being carried out on her but cannot see what.
Colin

insulaner
20th July 2005, 19:19
I've just posted a photo of Ocean mist taken a couple of weeks ago. As of 1600 this afternoon, she was still in the Water of Leith at her normal berth on The Shore.
Regards
Colin

insulaner
28th July 2005, 22:24
I went past her berth on the way to work this morning. What looks like a new wheelhouse or upperworks seems to be being built onto the ship. So something is definitely happening with her. I'll try to get down there in the next week or so. Lookd like a new lease of life for her.
Regards
Colin

insulaner
3rd August 2005, 18:53
See my post today - she has now got the makings of new upperworks. A notice on the side of the new wheelhouse? advertises work being carried out by a firm in Glasgow. even the mooring chains have been painted the same colour as the hull.
Regards
Colin

insulaner
24th August 2005, 06:23
Passed her again yesterday afternoon. More fabricated structures have been added forward of structures shown in my last photo.
Regards
Colin

insulaner
24th June 2006, 10:54
There was an article, I believe either in the Dcotsman or Edinburgh Evening News quite recently re this ship. I saw her last night on the way home from work. She now has a new mast at the stern [on a sort of pivot and has bot yet been raised]. She was alao now sporting a black painted funnel. The article stated a local restauranteur has taken her over with a view to opening a restaurant on board.
Regards
Colin
p.s. I've just posted aphoto of her with the mast, but without the funnel

GDav
30th July 2006, 11:29
She was a floating bar/restaurant when I lived in Leith and I've had many nights aboard her. There was some sort of information available on a noticeboard and I gather she was orginally a pleasure craft but was also armed in WW1.

I'd love to see her open again so I could nip on board for a spot of lunch like I used to.

Hillview
30th July 2006, 18:17
The Ocean Mist was owned by the Hobbs family of Inverlochy Castle/Great Glen Cattle ranch fame and lay in the Caledonian Canal for many years after the death of the Owner and disputed will.
She was moved to Leith to become a restaurant.
Details and photos of her history were in her lounge when I visited her in the nineties.

Tom S
30th July 2006, 18:46
She arrived in Leith in 1984 I was Deputy Harbourmaster at the time it was the last time the swing bridge at the Victoria was opened the machinary was so old we couldnt get it to work and had to use a Tug to nudge the bridge open.I passed her last week it is nice to see her in use again