A.A.Raymond

billyboy
16th July 2005, 00:05
Can anyone help with info on this one?. She was towed into newhaven in the early 60's where she underwent extensive refit including new engines and reduction gearing. from newhaven I believe she went up in the thames area and was renamed. she was towed here from singapore I believe. unusual ship with the wheelhouse right up forard! be interesting to find out about this one as 4 members of my family were involved in the refit work at Newhaven. including Marsat2.

awateah2
16th July 2005, 06:29
Hi Jim, She was re- engined in Newhaven and then owned by Hall and co dredging for ballast off the Shipwash and Thames Estuary, She was a nightmare when trying to overtake in the Sea Reaches as she yawed all over the place even in the best of weather . I believe she was broken up in the early 70.s . Still trying to send you a picture of 'Sand Star' but having problems with Emailing pictures but bear with me . Regards Ian

billyboy
16th July 2005, 09:22
thanks for that info Ian, always reckond her rudder to be a wee bit on the small side. imagine she was a swine to steer when she was loaded.

Bob S
16th July 2005, 15:31
I thought she was operated by "Ham River Grit Co Ltd" but I may be wrong. She's seen here passing Tilbury on the River Thames

awateah2
16th July 2005, 17:21
Subsisiary of Hall and Co before RMC Takeover

Fairfield
16th July 2005, 18:53
Think for many a year she had the distinction of being the first ship in Lloyd/s Register.Saw her a few times on my London dock visits in the 60s and 70s.

billyboy
17th July 2005, 00:40
Thanks Bob. she seems to look a bit different in that color, she looked a real sorry sight when she arrived at newhaven under tow.

billyboy
17th July 2005, 00:41
Thanks for the info.

dredgermate
18th August 2005, 23:27
she was replaced in the 70's by the "sand Wader" owned by Halls

andyS
19th June 2008, 20:39
As a new member just came across this thread.
A.A.RAYMOND was built as the DAN C. KINGMAN in 1924, by the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pennsylvania, for the newly formed United States Corps of Engineers. She was one of the pioneer ships propelled by diesel electric. She was a centre-line trailing suction dredger. In 1936, while serving with the USCE she helped to construct 'Treasure Island' in San Francisco Bay which involved reclaiming 400 acres of seabed near Alcatraz Island for the site of the Golden Gate Exposition. Her war service was in the Pacific Ocean and included the deepening of Manilla Harbour.
In 1957 she became the SANDON III and she was used in Bangkok to dredge the river channel. I believe she was sold in the same year to Raymond International, who completed the Bangkok contract, and renamed her A.A. RAYMOND after the company's founder.
In 1959 she underwent a $1 million refit before starting work in 1960 for Contractors Equipment Service International Inc., Panama, who in conjunction with Costains used her to dredge the Bonny River Bar in Nigeria. After only two months on this project she suffered a broken crankshaft, and was laid up pending a decision on her future. She was now 36 years old and her engines out of date and it was decided repairs were impracticable.
She was seen by two enterprising Americans (Messrs Chick and DuChamp)who operated a fishing fleet in Nigeria, and they bought her to convert to a ballast dredger.
She was towed to Newhaven, Sussex, where throughout 1962/63 she was re-engined with 2 x Mirrlees JVS12 engines ex TON class minesweeper, a third engine of the same make providing diesel electric power for the dredge pump. (The old engines taken out weighed 180 tons each, the Mirrlees engines weighed 14 tons each!). After re-engining she went from Newhaven under her own power to Flushing where she was converted to a side trailing suction and pump ashore self-discharge dredger, possibly the first time this method of discharging an aggregate dredger had been used.
The American Owners operated as Orrisdale S.S. Company, I.O.M., but she continued to be registered in Panama. In 1964 she went on charter to J.Murphy & Sons, who had constructed a special discharge wharf at Barking, Essex.
In 1966 she was sold to Hall (Marine) Ltd, a subsidiary of Hall & Co.
In May 1971 she was laid up in the Royal Docks, and was subsequently sold to breakers in Bilbao, Spain, where she arrived in July 1971.
It is true that she was sometimes difficult to steer and was invariably reported by Lloyds Signal Station as 'your A.A. RAYMOND is tacking her way in!'
AndyS

billyboy
20th June 2008, 10:40
Nice report Andy. Thanks for that.
Had a few drinking sessions with both Mr Chic and Mr Du-champ when she was at Newhaven.
The whole family worked on her when she was there

Weyport
6th October 2008, 17:09
In fact the first aggregate dredger with a pump out discharge system was the ss Portway launched on 17th November 1926 in Bristol. Paul

billyboy
8th October 2008, 13:28
There was so much weight slung on the after derrick that it developed a kink in the after mast visible from the mess room. I always walked to the side of the door in case a rivit shot out and went through me.
HSE would have had a fit had they been around then. When we removed the shafts for machining. we lashed two lifeboats together and laid planks across them. the shafts sat on these and were towed up to the marine shops by a local fisherman. think there was 9" of free board left. it had to be a slow tow.