3rd Mate John Patterson

Corky
27th October 2008, 14:48
I sailed with John on the Lord Kelvin in 1978 - I believe he lost his life shortly after this, falling overboard whilst alongside in Mexico (Coatzacolcos?) on I think The Elstree Grange. He was a good lad, and often wonder on the circumstances of his death. Anyone remember John?

merrymagpie
27th November 2008, 23:50
Hi Corky
I remember John, sailed with him, I think on the Joule. As you said a good lad, if a little hard to understand with his Scots accent. He was lost in Coatzacoalcos when he was on the Elstree Grange, falling of the jetty ladder when returning from a trip ashore. I think they found him 3 days later. A tragic waste.

Mike

vasco
28th November 2008, 10:39
I believe I was with him on the Joya with David Pike. He had a parrot that used to chew up the furniture and leave deposits everywhere. That was a good trip, 3 apprentices so we did sea watches. I was permanently 12-4 with Mike Holland-Lloyd because he inherited a load of corrections.

John

stephen street
17th April 2011, 12:35
I sailed with JP on the Black Max we were both cadets. I couldn't agree more as to being able to understand the man from Lewis.He was good friend and it was a shock when heard of his death.
Steve.