Where did all the Shells go?

tedc
27th October 2008, 21:35
When I was in the Naticina (1956) there was a shell in a glass enclosure in the saloon.

This shell was the actual "Naticina" Shell I was told.

Apparently all Shell tankers has such a shell, representing the ship's name, on board.

Does this tradition carry on in modern times?

What happened to all those Shells as the ships were broken up?

Apparently some were very rare & therefore valuable.

Also we used to get a free beer (oranjeboom) every sunday, courtesy of Q Wilhemina - does that still happen?

Orbitaman
28th October 2008, 09:13
The last Shell tanker I visited had the shell after which it was named in a display cabinet in the Officer's saloon. That was about four years ago, so it was certainly still the case then and I would assume still the case now.

backsplice
28th October 2008, 10:26
I did 13 months on the Anadara 60/61 and remember the "shell" on display in the officers saloon ... it was a big one ???........ good happy ship

loylobby
28th October 2008, 11:13
I believe when the ships are scrapped the shell is boxed up and sent back to Shell.

I was told that the rare expensive ones were replicas.

Of course there is the story that some wag removed a shell and replaced it with a Sugar Puff and no-one even noticed.

Oh I remember "Sunday Beers" except I thought it was from Queen Julianna.

Doubt if it goes on now with Shells strict alcohol policy.

BOB GARROCH
28th October 2008, 12:42
Thats why the captain was allways pissed on Sundays

mikeg
28th October 2008, 17:55
Thats why the captain was allways pissed on Sundays

Sunday noon drinks in the captains cabin before going to chow was a regular delight in Shell. All senior officers not on watch attended which included the R/O. I used to come off watch at noon and go straight to the old man's cabin for about an hour before enjoyingperhaps a nasi goreng or prawn cocktail & steak, then feet up before the next watch. Of course weekdays were very busy so no time for malarky like that. Happy memories of rose-coloured-slightly-boozy sundays on the company (Thumb)

KEITH SEVILLE
30th October 2008, 08:51
I used to see the Shells in the Officers Bar on many of the ships in an illuminated case with a brass plate indicating what they where.

Mike you mentioned about drinking habits on the Shell vessels.
Nothing could be more strange than the sleeping habits of the Dutch Shell Captains.
They used to sleep in til 10am, have their drinks and lunch and then return to their beds from 2pm until 5pm.
Most of the older Masters seemed to develop this craze.
It became very difficult at times for us shipping agents to do the ships business particularly when you needed signature from the Ships Master.
I remember one occasion on the Kylix when the Chief Officer had to get the Master out of bed, it was argumentive. As soon as the business was done it was straight back into his bunk.

Regards
Keith

mikeg
30th October 2008, 22:07
I used to see the Shells in the Officers Bar on many of the ships in an illuminated case with a brass plate indicating what they where.

Mike you mentioned about drinking habits on the Shell vessels.
Nothing could be more strange than the sleeping habits of the Dutch Shell Captains.
They used to sleep in til 10am, have their drinks and lunch and then return to their beds from 2pm until 5pm.
Most of the older Masters seemed to develop this craze.
It became very difficult at times for us shipping agents to do the ships business particularly when you needed signature from the Ships Master.
I remember one occasion on the Kylix when the Chief Officer had to get the Master out of bed, it was argumentive. As soon as the business was done it was straight back into his bunk.

Regards
Keith

Wow, sleep in til 10am then back from 2 - 5pm, it must have seemed a very short trip to them.

I can see it happening whilst at sea but in port that really is unforgivable, when there's people like yourself as the shipping agent plus superintendents, customs & excise, new staff etc. all demanding his attention. Quite difficult to keep a lid on your frustration I would imagine your professionalism and diplomacy continues but through tightly gritted teeth?

Regards,

loylobby
3rd November 2008, 13:04
Sunday noon drinks in the captains cabin before going to chow was a regular delight in Shell. All senior officers not on watch attended which included the R/O. I used to come off watch at noon and go straight to the old man's cabin for about an hour before enjoyingperhaps a nasi goreng or prawn cocktail & steak, then feet up before the next watch. Of course weekdays were very busy so no time for malarky like that. Happy memories of rose-coloured-slightly-boozy sundays on the company (Thumb)
The better class and more considerate old men would also put a "Sunday Lunch Drinks" page in the bar so everyone else could enjoy Sunday drinky poohs on Shell.[=P]

Radiomariner
10th November 2008, 04:24
Sunday lunch free drink sheets were still put out by the Master when I retired from the Northwest Seaeagle in 2002

waimea
10th November 2008, 05:31
I was on a Shell bunker tanker and all we had was a framed photograph of the shell behind the bridge (Tolema).

The old Indian Chief Line (taken over by Mobil) had a bust of the chief the ship was named after.