Ambrose,Davies & Mathews (Kilvey Shipping)

Juan de Basagoiti
30th October 2008, 09:33
Does anyone recall this line? I think it traded out of Swansea for points East,serving the Antipodes. I have a friend who sailed as Chief steward with them, having served from 1933 to '53. I have an idea he may have been torpedoed in '41-'42 as his log book states the original was 'lost in action' but he is loath to talk of that time. He is now in his 90's and loves to reminise, so anyone who might be able to give me info. please feel free to contact me. many thanks. Juan

stan mayes
30th October 2008, 12:04
Their ships were registered in Jersey.
AEL-Y-BRYN CEFN-Y-BRYN DAN-Y-BRYN GER-Y-BRYN BRYNMILL
Stan

stan mayes
30th October 2008, 17:29
Also known as Jersey United SS Co
On 10.5.1941 Ael-y-Bryn was damaged by a torpedo from U 556.
She had 52 survivors aboard she had rescued from Gregalia sunk by U 201.
She was towed to Reyjavik by Dutch tug Zwarte Zee...
On 11.3.1943 she was sunk by U 160 - East of Durban.
On 5.3.1943 Ger-y-Bryn was sunk by U 130 off Cape Finisterre in convoy XK2...All 46 crew rescued.
U 130 sank my ship Viking Star with 3 torpedoes on 25.8.1942 - 180 miles SW of Freetown.
Captain Mills and seven crew were killed.
Stan

sidsal
30th October 2008, 20:50
Nowt to do with Ambrose Davies and Mathews but I have a little book by PM Heaton about a Cardiff one-ship firm from the 60's. Chap called Street bought the Saxon Star and changed the name to Redbrook. The book is quite amazing - fancy running a one- ship tramp company. The ship was npotorious for loosing anchors.
P.M. Heaton used to be a very knwledgeable ship historian but I have not heard of him for years - possibly he may have "crossed the bar".
I believe he was a police sergeant from S Wales.
Sid

Juan de Basagoiti
16th November 2008, 10:26
I had the sad news that Howard Lawence Booth, ex-Chief Steward of this line sailed on his final voyage on Thursday 13th. November. I hope all who remember him will join me in a fond farewell.