QE2 design

SamGol
1st November 2008, 17:08
I recently came across a picture in an English auction house which shows the QE2 as conceived by Harland & Wolff in Belfast - part of a tender that was rejected in favour of John Brown's now world-famous design.

The auction blurb which accompanied the picture is as follows:

Auction blurb:

"An historically interesting design tender for the QE2 by Harland & Wolff, 1964 ink on linen, tinted in water and body colours, inscribed at centre ENQ No. 30/61 / OUTBOARD PROFILE, initialled yard stamp lower right, dated '27th November, 1964' the plan - 13 x 41in. (33 x 104cm.) Mounted in a glazed burr walnut frame. 19 x 54½in. (48 x 138.5cm.) overall. This design presents an interesting "what if" in the annals of liner history. Had Cunard chosen this tender, one of the world's most loved and famous liners would have been quite different from the sleeker lines presented by John Brown & Co. The date of November 27th was two days before the deadline for entries and was initialled by two Directors of Harland & Wolff. Literature: Hutchings, D.F: QE2, A Ship for All Seasons, Kingfisher Railway Productions, Southampton, 1988,
p.7. £1200-1500."

As an idle exercise I put the thumbnail of that pic from the auction house web site together with one of my pics of the QE2 when she came to Belfast on her farewell tour last month - a very wet day - and have posted it here to see what members may think of the two designs.

SamGol

gaelsail
1st November 2008, 17:59
As an idle exercise I put the thumbnail of that pic from the auction house web site together with one of my pics of the QE2 when she came to Belfast on her farewell tour last month - a very wet day - and have posted it here to see what members may think of the two designs.
Still recognisable but different, I think I much prefer the design that she was built to. I must have a look at some older photos and compare them.

Cailean
1st November 2008, 18:49
I don't like the squatter funnel on the H & W design. She looks capable of carrying more passengers though...

Tony Crompton
1st November 2008, 19:57
Was'nt the H&W design known as Q3 and was rejected as Cunard decided the time was not right to build a new Queen.

A couple of years later a new project known as Q4 was started and this became the present QE2.

Was it not the timing that made the decision, not any "Choosing" of one design rather than the other.

Tony

James_C
1st November 2008, 20:46
Tony,
Q3 was a John Brown design for a multi class liner, basically it looked like an enlarged Caronia. I'm not sure if the project got any further than the drawings before Cunard cancelled it. John Browns was of course their preferred builder for their passenger ships (with a few notable exceptions).
Q4 was of course QE2, although according to a recent official release from Cunard her name was supposed to be plain Queen Elizabeth.

R58484956
2nd November 2008, 12:10
Much prefer the H&W design, she looks superb.

peter johnston
20th August 2009, 22:01
I could stand to be corrected ....but i am sure i have seen a photo of the proto-type QE3...with two similar funnels .as the eventual QE2 became ,but with just one funnel.....this photo was in a book i loaned from the local public liberary.can anyone shine any light on this book or foto? i have tried to google it without any success..thanks lads!

Duncan112
23rd August 2009, 18:34
The wax hull form for the John Brown Q3 is (or was) in the Denny Tank Museum - It had been painted to look the part complete with quadruple screws.

Sabastapol
23rd August 2009, 18:59
Something about the H&W version that I really do like, looks far more business like and stream lined. Modern passenger ship design does not do anything for me at all I'm afraid.

vectiscol
24th August 2009, 13:23
Vickers and Swan Hunter submitted a joint tender also. After delivery of QE2, I had to do a comparison between the V/SH bid and the finished article.

peter johnston
28th October 2009, 01:14
mystery solved! if you follow my thread on QE2 prototype..(Q3) you will be able to see the first design of the proposed QE2...many thanks to the lads of SN for their help! regards,Peter !

PhilColebrook
15th December 2009, 19:48
Amazing what a difference a funnel can make. Much prefer how she actually looks. The H&W design makes her look like a bit like a ferry of the day. Not a bad thing, but the actual funnel, with the original black and white paint looked iconic.

R396040
15th December 2009, 20:11
QE2
Interesting entries to me as as ex Cunard man circa 1957/72. I have two copies of the Scottish Daily Express dated Spt 2o/21 1967 when she was being launched and the name QE2 being made public. Lots of public outcry in Scotland.
A few months after she entered service I did a cross channel trip on her,was rejoining one of Cunard cargo ships in Le Havre and ferries were on strike at the time. It was a good chance to view her and expierence her as a passenger rather than crew but for me she didnt live up to the old original Queen Mary.. Four of us travelled C/O Dennis McManus, Jimmy Stewart C/E, Stan Thomson C/Elct and myself.
Stuart