Elmina Palm

Bob S
16th July 2005, 15:45
ELMINA PALM seen inward passing Tilbury.

elmina man
24th July 2005, 07:19
Lovely picture of a wonderfull ship.

Andrew Hogan
29th July 2005, 20:03
Yes a wonderful ship which holds a great deal of memories
Andy

bobjones
1st August 2005, 20:56
Thats not Andy Hogan from Aberdeen ???

John Rogers
1st August 2005, 23:00
Just a thought.. If members would give more details about themselves in the profile this question would not need to be asked.
John.

lakercapt
21st August 2005, 00:08
Yes that was a great ship that was funded by us poor sods that sailed on the likes of the Opobo palm and the Ashanti Palm. Hard work with none of the comforts of the later ships.

PollY Anna
31st October 2006, 14:58
The thing about the Elmina Palm was the bar that opened At midday draft beer, it made the trip worth while, how many Ships serve beer like that to the crew during the day. Having said that you couldn't go on a bender one of my memories was one of the A.B. got malaria because he kept forgetting to take his pills. wasn't called the white man's grave for nothing

wa002f0328
31st October 2006, 18:11
doe,s anyone remember sailing with Harry West on this vessel? probably in the 60,s.

william dillon
31st October 2006, 20:57
I remember Davie Anderson from Ayr 3rd. Eng. & Ian Leckie from Bearsden near Glasgow 2nd. Eng.
The Chief Eng. was from Liverpool I think, the 4th. Eng. from around Blackpool, this was about 1969.

tonyc3
1st November 2006, 05:55
Joined her at Tilbury as SOS December 1957. My first ship with "Iron Mike" and also my first deep water ship having been on the coast. Great memories

Tonyc3

christopher.ryan1
8th November 2006, 18:09
Joined her at Tilbury as SOS December 1957. My first ship with "Iron Mike" and also my first deep water ship having been on the coast. Great memories

Tonyc3I sailed on the Elmina in 73, we were on our way to one more port before going down to the West coast.But we had a collision and had to get back in to port as soon as possible, we managed to get up to Bremerhaven where the fire brigade were waiting for us to start pumping out no2 and 3 hatches.We were holed below the water line, plus we had quite a bit of damage on deck as well.After we got most of the water out we were put in to a dry dock.We were told it would be about 8 weeeks to put her right so we paid off and came home.Shame as i liked the palm boats, i had already been on the Enugu, and went on to sail on the Ilisha.The West coast in those day was an eye opener to say the least.All good fun though.

Davey
26th February 2007, 00:26
I sailed on the Elmina Palm in 1967 for the usual West African run.The trip started in Hamburg, and was memorable for me by my going into the music clubs/dance halls there.The Star Club had a group on stage from Britain who would take requests, and we happened to mention to them that we were from the Elmina Palm. The guys played our request for Betty Everetts : Getting Mighty Crowded, with a complementary refrain they wove into it that went something like "the Elmina Palm crowdy" while the singer had a large bell tied to his belt which he beat out the rhythm on.

Betty Everetts most famous song was "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)"

william dillon
26th February 2007, 21:06
doe,s anyone remember sailing with Harry West on this vessel? probably in the 60,s.

Was Harry the Senior Electrician??(Thumb)