blue star line help

paulmira
2nd November 2008, 20:28
hi all, ive been speaking to my dad about ships and he does not know this site exists, he served in the merch in the 1950s and he has just told me that his last ship was the adelaide star sailing for blue star line, he was also on the empire test and a ship called pinto which belonged to mac andrews, does anyone know anything about these ships or knew my dad,his name was norman mira, he was born in 1933 and his nickname was buzz, i would appreciate any information, thanks,paul(==D)

R58484956
3rd November 2008, 10:00
Paul go to http://www.bluestarline.org for the BS info.
Empire Test managed by Lamport & Holt Ltd.

paulmira
3rd November 2008, 23:16
hi there, thanks for the web address for blue star line, it is most helpful and facinating(Thumb)

HOOPERMAN
19th February 2012, 14:40
any body from the BA STAR mid 73 to late 73

R396040
19th February 2012, 14:56
hi all, ive been speaking to my dad about ships and he does not know this site exists, he served in the merch in the 1950s and he has just told me that his last ship was the adelaide star sailing for blue star line, he was also on the empire test and a ship called pinto which belonged to mac andrews, does anyone know anything about these ships or knew my dad,his name was norman mira, he was born in 1933 and his nickname was buzz, i would appreciate any information, thanks,paul(==D)

Paul, If you go to Gallery on this site and enter Pinto McAndrews and 60years ago you will find a photo of her.. I remember her and other Macs ship which used to run out of the London Docks near Wapping back in the 1950s, good run to Spanish ports,short trips and time to get ashore. I never sailed on them but did a trip on Vancouver Star back then.
Cheers.
Stuart

ChathamChavs
24th February 2012, 20:35
(Thumb)any body from the BA STAR mid 73 to late 73

I was 2nd Electrician on the BA Star from 20-06-73 to 21-11-73 . Can remember Charlie the engine room storekeeper , and "Jesse and Julie" the stewards , "Snowy" the grocer , Jim Runcie Chief Elec and "Piggy" the 3/O . Also sailed on her from 4-02-72 to 8-09-72 - my first trip deep sea - when she was the Canberra Star when on the "Compass" run . Happy Days!!

LEEJ
25th February 2012, 11:45
Paul, there is a facebook page called Blue Star Crew Bar and is full of pictures, etc of the crew and ships of Blue Star. I'm sure your dad would find it interesting.

Rgds,
Lee

HOOPERMAN
25th February 2012, 20:59
I was on deck,and i remember the two stewards jess and julie, charlie,was he from malta,

ChathamChavs
27th February 2012, 20:48
I was on deck,and i remember the two stewards jess and julie, charlie,was he from malta,

I think Charlie was from London. I think one of the donkeymen was from Malta - a short squat man whose name escapes me .Also , I can remember one AB who was "taught a lesson" after taunting "Julie" - whom I believe was an ex-coalminer(?) . Jess was from Scotland?

HOOPERMAN
28th February 2012, 18:06
yes your right,the maltese guy was the donkeyman,and jess was from scotland,
if i remember two of the abs were seeing the stewards,think one was gorden seeing jess,i cannt remember the other abs name,i think,but not sure if the bosun was archie magaskill,from stornaway,
i also remember seeing the royston grange alongside after the collision in monti,
at one time we were on the ship at the same time but i cannot place you,,do you have any pictures,i lost all of myn

China hand
28th February 2012, 18:23
If I remember right, during the strike, the Mad Mackgaskill through a union rep down the Brasil Star gangway because he insulted one of our stewerdesses.

This man ( if the same) used to lower derricks by hand (topping lift flaked, two turns around the horns, and away. The man fascinated me.

HOOPERMAN
28th February 2012, 18:40
i think he may be the same one,i remember some timber coming out of thr foward hold and it broke away from the sling heading his way,the guy turned his back on it and it hit him ,and he didnt even flinch,just grunted,another time a rope on a winch drum snapped and wrapped around his head,he stood grunting trying to unwrap his head,but every time we pulled into monti he disappered for acouple of days,must be the same guy

China hand
29th February 2012, 18:29
I think it was Brasil Star, and I think he was Bosun's mate. Short, very stocky, tough as they come. When he talked about Blue Star Line, it was pure and exquisite abuse; if you said a word against BSL, he was ready to pull your head off. I sailed with him for nearly two years. Strangely enough , with a mainly north of Scotland crew, the Bosun was English, but I can't remember his name.

A.D.FROST
9th April 2012, 10:31
(Thumb)

I was 2nd Electrician on the BA Star from 20-06-73 to 21-11-73 . Can remember Charlie the engine room storekeeper , and "Jesse and Julie" the stewards , "Snowy" the grocer , Jim Runcie Chief Elec and "Piggy" the 3/O . Also sailed on her from 4-02-72 to 8-09-72 - my first trip deep sea - when she was the Canberra Star when on the "Compass" run . Happy Days!!
Wrong BA ex.HOBART was on Compass, I know been there got the 'T' shirt.BA ex CANBERRA(Can-o-BeerA STAR) was r/n after BA ex.HOBART had a collision at BA(very confusing because whilst ex.HOBART was beeing repaired both ships had same name BA)
Tony

ChathamChavs
16th April 2012, 17:40
Sorry, didn't get the drift of the "wrong BA" . The Canberra Star was on the South Africa - Mozambique-Australia round trips (Compass Run) and had been for some time . I joined in Cape Town , then we did 2 round trips before returning to North(or South) Shields drydock via the Meddy. Then a trip on the ACT4 , then back onto the renamed BA Star . Did a quick check of my discharge books and the Official Number- 174585 -tallies up.Done a couple of trips , then off to the "Townsville Star" as Chief Elec in December 1974.

A.D.FROST
17th April 2012, 13:42
Sorry I thought HOBART & NEWCASTLE STARS were on the Compass run until it finished in 1971 due to poor cargoes and compertition from Safocean.I was on HOBART 69/70.