Harrison Line

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 13:28
There's a get-together of old engineers and electricians later this month. It is in the Crown on Lime St, starting about 2.30 on Friday 28th November.

John Glover
3rd November 2008, 14:33
Any further details M8
regards
John Glover

John Rogers
3rd November 2008, 15:31
Would that be J &C Harrisons of London.??

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 16:39
Any further details M8
regards
John Glover

Would that be John Glover, electrician? If so, I sailed with you on the Linguist.

Not really any details to give apart from the place, time and date. Ginger Murray (ex 3rd Eng) passed them to me.

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 16:40
Would that be J &C Harrisons of London.??

Sorry - should have been more precise. Thos & Jas Harrisons of Liverpool.

John Glover
3rd November 2008, 18:54
hello again, yes it's me from the old days on the cunni, suprised ginger didn't let me know about the plans. will phone him and get info. I'll do my best to attend work permitting.
regards
john glover

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 19:01
hello again, yes it's me from the old days on the cunni, suprised ginger didn't let me know about the plans. will phone him and get info. I'll do my best to attend work permitting.
regards
john glover

Hi John,
I only found out by accident. Left the sea in 1985 but still used to see Ginger - he lives near my father-in-law and I used to catch up with him in a local pub. Over time I got to Liverpool less and less (live in the midlands) and Ginger started drinking elsewhere. We lost touch but I was in Liverpool two weeks ago and walked straight into Ginger in the town centre. A good afternoon was had!
Anyway, that is when I learnt of the get-together. Apparently there is a big one around the same time each year but a few local ex-Harrisons meet up in the Crown most Thursday afternoons.
Kevin

lapoolcan
8th March 2009, 06:46
John, Any Idea where John Lundstrom lives.I have been trying for years to find him.I served my apprenticeship with him as well as sailing on the Factor in the late sixties. Thanks for your time John Eaton

Forde
13th September 2009, 23:13
Sorry to barge in on reunion news, but trying various forums. My dad was third engineer Michael Forde, died in explosion on the Tactician in 72. I came across this site and just wondered if anyone knew him as I'm always interested in learning about him (nice stuff only!) since I was 2 when he died and have no memory of him. Thanks.

Mick McCabe
22nd October 2012, 17:47
Sorry to barge in on reunion news, but trying various forums. My dad was third engineer Michael Forde, died in explosion on the Tactician in 72. I came across this site and just wondered if anyone knew him as I'm always interested in learning about him (nice stuff only!) since I was 2 when he died and have no memory of him. Thanks.

Hi. I knew your dad from the seventies & was abroad on the Historian when he died.
He wasc a big mate of a guy called Kevin Knight who was ex sea going relief 24 hour engineer . Kevin was also a bouncer at many of the Liverpool clubs at the time.
Mick was a really good guy who would go out of his way to do anyone a favour, I never sailed with him but coasted with him on a number of occassons, he was 3rd Engineer I was electrician.

Hope this helps.

Mike

BillElleray
6th February 2013, 08:52
Hi, my name is Bill Elleray (ex T&J) I have only just seen your posted message.

A good mate of mine was the junr Engr on watch with your Father at the time of the terrible accident. His name is Dave Hough and his email address is:
daz16@optusnet.com.au

Dave now lives in Newcastle, NSW. Australia.

Dave often mentioned your Father to me, and please be in no doubt that your Father was held in the highest regard by all who knew him. During my time with T&J I often heard many kind words about your Father. I sailed with the Radio Operator from the Tactitician who spent hour upon hour in the efforts to co-ordinate medical assistance, he is likely now passed away due to old age. I also knew one of the other engineers but I've since lost all contact with him so I can't supply his contact details. All spoke highly of your Father.

I hope Dave can pass on some first hand recollections to help you build a picture of your Father. Other resources are the Harrison Line history by Captain Cubben which describes the incident as reported in great detail.

Bill

Forde
6th February 2013, 19:43
Bill and Mike
Thank you so much for replying to this thread, been a long time since I viewed it. Really nice to hear nice things said here. Will follow up all contacts. I have read that chapter in that book about my father's last moments (almost wish I hadn't to be honest as quite emotional reading). Thanks again guys.