Tenbury

BPCadet
4th November 2008, 21:16
I'm interested to know if anyone has any old photos of the Tenbury? I have only been able to find one photo on the gallery.

I would also really like to hear from anyone who actually served on the Tenbury and any stories they have about serving on this ship.

Regards,

BP Cadet

non descript
4th November 2008, 22:16
Did you find this one (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63603)

ian d.cameron
4th November 2008, 22:50
Another one in the The Allen Collection
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/HOLDER42.jpg
and Photoship
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20T/slides/Tenbury-03.html

James_C
5th November 2008, 00:35
BP Cadet,
I was still serving in BP when this 'raising the flag' nonsense started. It's predecessor was 'No Accidents, No Harm to People, No Damage to the Enviroment'.
The REAL BP Shipping Staff termed this as 'No Drink, No Shoreleave, No Fun'.

vasco
5th November 2008, 01:53
BP Cadet

My first ship was the Tenbury, may I ask why you are interested?
Vasco

ruud
5th November 2008, 06:27
Ahoy BPCadet,
Found this one,no idea to whom the credits should go,no © signs.

BPCadet
5th November 2008, 15:43
Vasco,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because my Dad served on the Tenbury whilst he was a deck cadet with Houlders. I know this was his first ship too. I wshall find out the dates when he served with the Tenbury for you.

Regards,

BPCadet

BPCadet
5th November 2008, 15:48
Thank you to all who have so far posted a reply and/or a photo(s) of the Tenbury. Keep them coming!

BPCadet

julianl
5th November 2008, 16:30
Vasco,
Could it be that you have a secret love child?
julianl

vasco
5th November 2008, 17:43
Vasco,
Could it be that you have a secret love child?
julianl
well, something did happen one night in the motomachi in kobe!

bpcadet

if you don't want to publicize your dads name you can send me a private email. However i wouldn't have sailed with him there as i was the first tripper.

if you check my details all the ships,with dates,are there.

Vasco

non descript
5th November 2008, 20:00
Vasco,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because my Dad served on the Tenbury whilst he was a deck cadet with Houlders. I know this was his first ship too. I wshall find out the dates when he served with the Tenbury for you.

Regards,

BPCadet

She was built by Burntisland and delivered into Houlders service in 1965 – one of apprentices from the 1965 training year at Kind Edward VII joined her as his first trip to sea - his first voyage, her second voyage; maybe your father was on board at that time. It was the standard trip out to Buenos Aires and back to the UK.

You are most welcome to contact me via a PM if you want to discuss anything further about that January 1966 trip.
(Thumb)
Mark

BPCadet
5th November 2008, 20:22
Has anyone happened to sail with the Tenbury at around April 1973?

BPCadet

non descript
5th November 2008, 20:32
Just to add to the picture - Tenbury was launched 14-05-1965 by Burntisland Shipbuilding and Hull Number 409 – she had John Brown Sulzer 6 cylinder 2SCSA built by John Brown & Co Clydebank. She was completed and handed over 04-10-65

non descript
5th November 2008, 20:36

BPCadet

As a curious foot note, in 1973 the Tenbury was actually sold to Bibby Bulk Carriers Ltd., of Liverpool, but Houlders remained as her Managers and the name was unchanged. It was Bibby who sold her in 1974 to Gulfeast, who re-named her Al-Barat

marinero
6th November 2008, 11:24

BPCadet

Good Morning BPCadet.
I joined the "Tenbury" at Liverpool Nov. 73 and we did a French MM Charter to the Pacific(French Territories Tahiti,Noumea etc.) What a briiliant voyage.
I signed off in Liverpool March 73 and re-signed on for a coastal voyage and finally signed off in Manchester April 73 so perhaps this ties in with your dates in question.
Regards (Thumb)

BPCadet
6th November 2008, 19:56
Marinero,

Thanks for your reply. Seems that my Dad served with the Tenbury as a deck cadet from April through until November 1973 and signed off in Liverpool.

Other ships he sailed with include the Sagamore and the Orotava Bridge.

Kind Regards

BPCadet

non descript
6th November 2008, 20:11
I joined the "Tenbury" at Liverpool Nov. 73 and we did a French MM Charter to the Pacific( French Territories Tahiti, Noumea etc.) What a briiliant voyage.

Regards (Thumb)

As a curious coincidence, in 1973 Houlders was the exclusive broker for Messageries Maritimes and they would have been acting both for the Owners and the Charterers at the same time on this one… One can almost image the strong words the broker would have used when talking to himself to get the rate agreed….(Jester)

Normally these were single timecharter trips to French Polynesia and not round voyages, and with a certain amount of embarrassment, it would seem that money was made out of supporting (through commerce rather than emotion) the somewhat unfortunate desire of the French at that time to use the South Pacific paradise as their backyard and conduct for a total of 193 nuclear tests between 1966 to 1996.
(Thumb)
Mark

marinero
7th November 2008, 13:06
In my last post I said I joined in Nov 73. I should have said Nov 72 (old age you know)
Yes Mark I think it was a one way charter as we loaded raw sugar in Lorenquo Marques for Liverpool on the way back.
Regards (Thumb)

Mick quinn
9th November 2008, 20:30
Hi Tonga and all others.

Sailed on the Tenbury from 2 March 72 to 4 August 72. Joined the ship in New York (flew out), to South Africa with cargo, light to Newcastle NSW, load steel sheeting in rolls for Callao,Peru, light to NZ, load gen cargo then to Europe paying off in Bremen. Great ship, fantastic voyage and sorry to leave her. Not sure of total mileage but it must have been many 10s of 1000s

non descript
9th November 2008, 22:06
Mick, A nice trip on a nice ship. (Thumb)

non descript
13th November 2008, 17:39
In case anyone should wonder, there were quite a few Swan River comments in amongst these Tenbury postings, so I have gathered them together and they are now in their own thread, as that lady deserves her own thread, as does the Tenbury here.
(Thumb)
Mark

saltyswamp
13th November 2008, 22:31
Marinero,

Thanks for your reply. Seems that my Dad served with the Tenbury as a deck cadet from April through until November 1973 and signed off in Liverpool.

Other ships he sailed with include the Sagamore and the Orotava Bridge.

Kind Regards

BPCadet

Hi BPcadet
I was eng cadet on Tenbury Aug 73 to Sept 73 My first trip to Canada and back to liverpool for kelloggs (haven't eaten cornflakes since). then rejoined in liverpool for a harrison line charter to the Caribbean, then back loaded sugar at Georgetown Guyana for silvertown London left there 15/12/73

regards stuart

Jamman
22nd November 2011, 21:40
I was on the Tenbury, joined in Birkenhead Feb 74 and payed off in Liverpool May 74, I have always said she was the most fun I had at sea, smallest ship and the largest crew but what times!