Internet Explorer 8 (IE8 Beta 2)

ChasD
6th November 2008, 12:42
I'm currently experimenting with IE 8, downloaded from the Microsoft website.
Seems to have a few problems, not least of which is that several of my high security sites, banks and so on, seem unable to work with it. Also I haven't, as yet found a way of getting back to IE7 successfully, as that now seems to have problems. I do have the Apple 'Safari' installed as a back-up so I can still work but without that I'd be stuck !
Recommend caution if you're thinking of trying it !!! One of those things that look good but, like Vista, ain't what its cracked up to be !
Anybody else tried it, if so what are your experiences ...

ChasD

ssr481
6th November 2008, 12:48
I've had that problem before with other beta versions...thus I wait for the full-blown version to come out before downloading a new browser. I sometimes use Firefox 3 if my IE goes belly up..

K urgess
6th November 2008, 12:52
When you downloaded it, Chas, a restore point should have automatically been created.
Have you tried doing a restore to before it was installed?

Kris

surfaceblow
6th November 2008, 12:58
I have IE8 on my laptop running XP. It tends to lock up when I open the thumbnails and links while in Ships Nostalgia. I have to exit IE8 and go back on-line. To remove the program I believe it is listed as Silverlight. Go to the control panel and remove software.

ChasD
6th November 2008, 13:51
When you downloaded it, Chas, a restore point should have automatically been created.
Have you tried doing a restore to before it was installed?

Kris

Hi Kris, That was my first reaction, gone back a couple of restore points, get some function but with error messages, tried reloading 7, still no joy, got a few more options, see how we go !

Regards ... ChasD

ChasD
6th November 2008, 13:56
I have IE8 on my laptop running XP. It tends to lock up when I open the thumbnails and links while in Ships Nostalgia. I have to exit IE8 and go back on-line. To remove the program I believe it is listed as Silverlight. Go to the control panel and remove software.

Thanks surfaceblow, I'll have a play in the silverlight system, still got to see exactly the full scope of what problems are coming up, so far seems to be just the high security sites. I've reloaded IE8 and its running now but I'll need to see it's limitations..... Thanks for the comeback ... ChasD

John Rogers
6th November 2008, 15:25
I was always a loyal user of MS browsers, but since I went to Mozilla Firefox I will never go back.

John

ChasD
6th November 2008, 15:46
I was always a loyal user of MS browsers, but since I went to Mozilla Firefox I will never go back.

John

Hi John, I'm tending to go that way myself, I've now got Firefox3 as my primary browser. I've sorted out a few of the problems with IE8 and it seems fairly good but with the constraints that some sites don't support it. Was going to try to uninstall both IE8 and some remnant files of IE7 I found, then re-install. Figured I may risk causing more problems, so quit while I'm ahead - or at least not too far back. Sent a nudge/query to the sites not supporting IE8 so mebbe they'll upgrade !

R58484956
6th November 2008, 15:52
Some advice I was given once " let other people test the Beta versions"
Nearly downloaded IE8 but resisted, Glad I did not in view of above.

billyboy
6th November 2008, 21:26
I gave up on "Internet Destroyer" a while back.
Firefox for me is the best thing since sliced bread. As I have such a slow connection I find Firefox is faster for me.

newda898
7th November 2008, 19:58

Silverlight is just another browser add on - it's Microsoft trying to make something similar to Adobe Flash.

As for removing IE8, a simple google search brought up the answer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

ChasD
7th November 2008, 20:21
Thanks for that, newda898, thats an excellent and very necessary link for anybody playing with this, one I had missed in the excitement! After a bit of playing I seem to have got over or around a lot of the problems. Tweaking the 'compatibility' seems to have got round the rejection by some sites, which was the most worrying aspect. Now seems to be quite tame and well behaved, so after a lot of playing I'm not as anti as I was at first. Can't see any great advance over IE7 though except that it may be a bit faster!

TayneC8
11th December 2008, 16:49
I hate Internet Explorer altogether. I use firefox. I find Internet Explorer is slow.

Stewart J.
11th December 2008, 22:03
Another Firefox convert for more than 2 years, IE is a pain.

Stewart

billyboy
11th December 2008, 22:11
I agree. have been a "firefox" man for years now. Would never go back to internet explorer again. its slower, and lets m,ore bugs through. hence its nickname "Internet destroyer"

treeve
11th December 2008, 22:15
Can someone please explain why it is that my IE6 is so good? I tried Firefox, and it drove me up the wall (poor layout, let all manner of things happen that I did not want to happen, slow and jumpy); I have rather back-pedalled with upgrading to IE7 let alone an IE8. I am rather of the clan that says 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' and so I stick with what I know works and what I can handle and control. I am on dial-up, by the way. All the best, Raymond

K urgess
11th December 2008, 22:28
Don't know, Raymond. (?HUH)
I'm using IE7 and have no problems.
I ditched Firefox ages ago but have tried the various updates with no better success than I had when I first ditched it. Tried all sorts of others as well but always come back to IE.
Must admit I've not upgraded to IE8 and don't intend to until it's out of beta.
Cheers
Kris

senior pilot
11th December 2008, 22:42
i have ie8 and mozilla on my desktop so get the best of both worlds alex

duquesa
11th December 2008, 23:09
Me too, I use both. No probs. I have a virgin cable and get about 9/10 Mb.
Dial up? Like going on a package holiday flight in a Sopwith Camel.(Jester)

treeve
11th December 2008, 23:33
24/7 for 7.99 a month on a Sopwith Camel seems like fun to me ...

Frank P
12th December 2008, 08:36
24/7 for 7.99 a month on a Sopwith Camel seems like fun to me ...

Raymond you can get broadband for around the same price.

As for the browser debate, I have both IE7 and Firefox installed but I mainly use Firefox.

Cheers Frank(Thumb)

brimaly
12th December 2008, 10:05
Hello newda898
Thanks for your advise and link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
to how and where to find help to remove IE8 beta, have just done so five minutes ago and IE7 has been restored again

bregds
brimaly

billyboy
12th December 2008, 10:51
I am on a dial up connection here (rice powered) my best speed is only 31.3kbps giving a download speed of only 2.1 kbps if I am lucky. Cant justify moving house 5 miles for a broadband. Our town is just off the Highway where there is a DSL cable. the Government wont grant the phone company permission to connect me.
Anyone got a slower connection than me?

treeve
12th December 2008, 11:25
This speed is tied in with the browser, I am sure. Thanks FrankP .. Could you please, perchance tell me where I could get the broadband for the '7.99/month' ? I am connected at 45.2 kb/s. I take it there are limitations on the amount of download? I am considering getting a new PC in January, and it would be good to get the info on what is available, being on a low budget, I need to keep running expenses down. Maybe connection speed is not giving the other browsers a fair comparison. The new PC will have whatever Windows is current at that time installed. All the best, Raymond

BobClay
12th December 2008, 14:10
If you search around via google I'm sure you'll find literally dozens of broadband providers and their terms. Download limit usually starts at 5Gbytes, which I suspect you'll get nowhere near if you've been using a modem all this time.

You will also get the router and filters up front for no extra payment. However best check to see if your computer has a network (RJ45) socket, although you can get USB broadband modems. If you don't have a network socket, you can pick up a card for a few pounds. I would definately recommend you get a networked router, as it will also have a 4 port switch built in which means you can put 4 (or more with daisychaining) computers on it. Also the routers usually come with wireless built in. As I said, this router should be on offer from the ISP for no extra charge.

treeve
12th December 2008, 16:09
I have been offered a spec build price by a Computer wizz, I will pass on that information (which went rather over my head, having used dial up since 1996); thank you for that; up until now all I have found for broadband is around 21 per month. Some months I spend around 14 hours a day online. I will search on ... all the best, Raymond

BobClay
12th December 2008, 18:34
Any new computer motherboard will almost certainly have networking onboard, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Sky do a system (although I'm not a fan of SKY)
http://broadband.sky.com/

Madasafish is the one I use (since they took over Globalnet), and I'm not on cable
http://www.madasafish.com/

Supanet
http://www.supanet.com/broadband/

BT
http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/broadband-directory/bt-broadband/
and you may get a better deal if you tie it in with your phone (which is what I do with Madasafish)

Post Office seem to do good prices
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump2?catId=68600711&mediaId=58000695

and I'm sure there are many others. I have an 8mb connection with a 20 Gig limit (which I've never got even near) and that is 17.99 per month, so I would see 21 as pricey for a basic connection.

treeve
12th December 2008, 19:53
Very kind of you Bob, thank you, seems as if they are tied in with either tv or phone, and I do not need tv, as of October, when they go digital, my phone bill is 11 per quarter and so that will rocket under their schemes. Even the cheapest one of 7.98 is a half price starter pack for six months. If I paid out all of that, I could not afford the new PC. Never mind, thanks again, best wishes, Raymond

Frank P
12th December 2008, 20:53
This speed is tied in with the browser, I am sure. Thanks FrankP .. Could you please, perchance tell me where I could get the broadband for the '7.99/month' ? I am connected at 45.2 kb/s. I take it there are limitations on the amount of download? I am considering getting a new PC in January, and it would be good to get the info on what is available, being on a low budget, I need to keep running expenses down. Maybe connection speed is not giving the other browsers a fair comparison. The new PC will have whatever Windows is current at that time installed. All the best, Raymond

Hello Raymond,
Most of the cheap deals involve packages (phone and Broadband), I am with Pipex it costs 19.99 per month which includes the phone line charge 11.50 the rest is the broadband charge and the telephone with the UK landline calls included 24/7. The Broadband part works out at about 8. for 8 Mb speed with unlimited downloads (with-in reason).
I hope that this helps.
Cheers Frank(Thumb)

treeve
12th December 2008, 22:41
Many thanks - I will ponder upon these things; all the best, Raymond

benjidog
12th December 2008, 22:50
Getting back to the original point:

I work in software. Companies provide Beta code (which is basically an early, incomplete and not fully tested version of new software) to get feedback on the functionality from users who are keen to use new functionality that is being made available and those that like to play with the latest toys. A more cynical view is that they provide it so that other people do their testing for them and report the bugs instead of doing testing properly. Probably both are true. So if you opt for a Beta version of code you should not expect it to be complete or reliable.

With Internet Explorer, the software gets integrated with the operating system to the point that it is virtually impossible to remove it without rebuilding the machine from scratch. If you install a Beta version of IE you should expect to be doing a rebuild as there is a fair chance that installing the final version of the code will not remove the crud installed by the Beta version.

If you do want to test Beta code, your best bet is to do it on a machine that can be sacrified and rebuilt rather than your main machine. Personally I use a product called VMWare which enables you to build a sealed environment on your machine which can be trashed without affecting your other applications.

If rebuilding machines is outside your range of skills, you are best to leave the Beta code alone and wait for the formally released product.

SailingAndy
13th January 2009, 14:06
I too work in software. Although this may change.

Benji is quite correct VMWare or similar (I use virtual PC) is the thing to use to test Beta code. This prevents hours of pain trying to restore your pc you need to use.

If your interested in software or just fancy a play, download the beta's. However they are only really necessary for those who maintain websites or internet software so they can verify their site will be compatable with the upgrade.

Funilly enough I've been researching this today at work and found the following:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/11/19/ie8-what-s-after-beta-2.aspx

So the next release will be the final release. The one developers (like Benji and I) can use to verify our sites/software still work before it is released to the general public.

Just incase you are cynical about the beta test thing. As a software company we regularly release beta's for the following reason. Clients spend a lot of money on software that saves them time. So when we are planning releases we like to give the clients the software so they can check it still works and they can let us know if they hate/really like something before they are stuck with it. We consider it good manners.

Hope this is of interest to somebody.

NoMoss
13th January 2009, 14:51
What are the advantages of IE8? I changed to IE7 but the only change I really noticed was the ability to put sites (like this one) on to tabs.

BobClay
13th January 2009, 15:35
There are some new features:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/beta/default.aspx

But I would have to say if it's still in beta I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are into testing software.

I've done a fair bit of beta testing for microsoft, and always done it on a fresh or imaged installation of Windows on a new disk so that if it goes south, it's not a big deal.

Wait until the full release would be my advice.

NoMoss
13th January 2009, 16:50
There are some new features:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/beta/default.aspx

But I would have to say if it's still in beta I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are into testing software.

I've done a fair bit of beta testing for microsoft, and always done it on a fresh or imaged installation of Windows on a new disk so that if it goes south, it's not a big deal.

Wait until the full release would be my advice.

Thanks, I will wait.

BobClay
25th January 2009, 00:01
For those interested Windows 7 is now out on Beta and I've just downloaded it and installed it on a new disk on my trusty old Pentium 4. It includes Internet Explorer 8 and there's a free beta antivirus progam available from Kaspersky.

It went in without a hiccup, only the soundcard hasn't been picked up driverwise. I'll possibly post any interesting info about it as time goes by.

BobClay
26th January 2009, 20:17
Windows 7 Beta testing for anyone interested.

If you are familiar with Vista, then you'll find your way around this without too much problem. There are some changes, but nothing as dramatic as say the change from XP to Vista.

It's quick. Now, I'm not saying this to sell it, I'm just stating that it's quick. It installed in under 25 minutes (if you're familiar with Windows Distribution Software on networks you'll recognise the installation, if not, think of it as similar to installing a disk image). It boots up in half the time Vista boots up on the same machine. Now admitted, this is the bare operating system, no software installed or extra services running, although anti-virus/protection is installed.

The machine I'm using for this test is a 3.4Ghz P4 with 4 gigs of RAM (which means about 3.2 Gigs available). It's not a state of the art dual core, but it's about as good as P4's got. It's got as good an AGP video card as you can get (no PCI Express on this old board).

The score on Windows Experience Index (a sort of computer rating score between 1 to 5.9, you'll know it if you know Vista) was 3.0 This was very disappointing as with Vista this machine scores 4.4. However closer examination reveals this score is low for no other reason than a low Disk data transfer rate. In fact this scored 3.0, and the lowest score determines the base score. The other tests CPU,RAM,Graphics all scored the same or even better for the graphics than Vista.
To check this I downloaded and installed on another machine (almost identical but SATA drives as I built this one later) and sure enough, the disk data rate scored 4.4. mmmmm, does this mean IDE drives are a bit low class for Windows 7 ? The fact is I can't tell the difference between the two machines in terms of operation, so I'm not sure what effect that disk transfer rate is having.

So far it's run faultlessly, but I cannot get a driver for the SB X Fi soundcard, and it simply rejects the Vista drivers. But then I've had trouble with Creative drivers and new operating systems before. Perhaps that's unfair, it is in Beta.

So first tentative conclusions: SATA drives if for nothing else than the score ... oh ... and lot's RAM. Max it out, even if it means some of the RAM will never be addressed by the system, (it might say 4 Gigs, but there isn't 4 Gigs worth of addresses for this system, so the last gig card is only worth a few tens or hundreds of kilobytes).

No sound ...... Ah well, it'll make for a quiet night.

lesbryan
26th January 2009, 20:50
Personally i would not touch anything beta .It has already beta is for testing big companies use to evaluate for there systems .If you use it yourself and it goes belly up you could be in the mire .Then all they do i basically spy on you ,and see something is wrong and then alter there program accordingly .then you look and see there is an update to the beta program(H)

BobClay
26th January 2009, 21:02
I agree it is testing for their benefit. There is nothing in it for the tester, except perhaps some eduation. If it goes belly up, then it goes belly up. I install onto a fresh clean hard drive which I put in purely for the test. No-one should beta test anything on their main operating disk.

However, if you work in IT as I do, constantly faced with problems on dozens of computers on a daily basis, it's nice to get some time in on any new operating system before it's presented to you at work on some future date and you have to start scratching your head trying to fix something you are completely unfamiliar with.

If I'm boring you with this stuff, then I apologise. I'm in geek mode.

(POP)

lesbryan
26th January 2009, 21:38
I agree it is testing for their benefit. There is nothing in it for the tester, except perhaps some eduation. If it goes belly up, then it goes belly up. I install onto a fresh clean hard drive which I put in purely for the test. No-one should beta test anything on their main operating disk.

However, if you work in IT as I do, constantly faced with problems on dozens of computers on a daily basis, it's nice to get some time in on any new operating system before it's presented to you at work on some future date and you have to start scratching your head trying to fix something you are completely unfamiliar with.

If I'm boring you with this stuff, then I apologise. I'm in geek mode.

(POP)
No your not boring .I have a question for you if you dont mind !.I have a vist 64 bit built puter .the problem i have is my inernet explorer (IE7)keeps stopping and i get a screen which tells me so 3 options rstart and find solution close or wait fo ie to start.It also happens in my kodak software and it happed once in my roxio application yesterday .Sorry if you feel i am forward.but it is getting on my nerves

BobClay
26th January 2009, 22:41
Well this wont be of much help, but I too get that with IE7. This on different machines in both XP and Vista. When this happens it is often advantageous to look at the Event Viewer, both the application and system log. Now much of the time any events that look related in either time or statement to the problem when it occurred, will read like gobbledy gook. Occasionally however the Event log will provide you with a clue, at least a pointer as to what might be causing it.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a problem somewhere deep down with IE7, probably not fundamental, but some glitch that snags in certain circumstances. For example Back Paging often seems to hang it.

But for the problem to occur in completely different and unrelated programs suggests something either in the operating system, or a clash with some other piece of software.

See if there are any clues in the Event logs.

Also take the usual precautionary measures of diskchecking / cleaning etc etc.

lesbryan
26th January 2009, 23:05
Cheers mate .I was told by the techie guys at pc world that if it continued they would change the puter.but i have to give it a few more weeks.Thanks for you reply and answer

ChasD
30th January 2009, 09:39
Just upgraded to the new issue of IE8. At the moment (!) it does seem very slick and speedy with no real glitches, certainly we seem to have eliminated all of the hiccups associated with the Beta 2 issue. I've tested on all of the sites where previously we had problems, included one of my data monitoring sites that uses a lot of Java to provide live data feed in various forms. The Beta 2 always crashed on this site, needed to use firefox on there, the new variant is smooth and slick - no problems, even SN seems smoother ! Probably now at a point where those who have binned it might like to have another play - but do so with caution - and always have a back-up (standard disclaimer clause!). I'm no professional, just my residual sparky instincts like messing about ! In passing it has been mentioned that a build-up of residual garbage can arise and cause problems - absolutely ! To help combat this I use 'RegCure' which is a very useful 'tidy-up' tool, if a bit expensive, I renew the licence for it when I feel there is a need to do so, otherwise just use it in its basic form.

ChasD
30th January 2009, 09:46
Note: Re the Windows 7 Beta variant mentioned and now being tested. This variant will automatically shut down on 1st Aug 09 (I think thats the date) potentially leaving you dead in the water. Definitely one for the back-up 'play' computer - but interesting.

BobClay
30th January 2009, 10:13
Yep the operating system will self-destruct on Aug 9th. But this is beta testing. I can't overemphasise that if you want to do beta testing, you do NOT put it on your main system disk.

By far the best way is pop in another hard drive (very cheap these days) and go from scratch. This is particularly important if you are testing an entire operating system.

If you just test a particular piece of software, say just IE8, then back up your entire system disk (best with imaging software) so that if it does go south, you can simply fall back on your image.

Beta testing is about putting not yet fully deployed or tested software on your computer, it is NOT the same as buying a piece of software in a shop and installing it.

(==D)

So come August, I have a nice blank hard drive ready to do what I want with it. The benefit to me is I have some experience with a new operating system.

Frank P
30th January 2009, 10:18
Bob,
Thanks for the info about Windows 7, I downloaded it and I have been running it for 5 days on my spare P4 2.8 machine. It is faster than XP and up to now I have not experienced any problems, Win 7 even picked up my old Epson C70 printer. I downloaded a 49mb driver/program in 1 minute and 4 seconds.

Cheers Frank

BobClay
30th January 2009, 16:18
Frank
Yep, I have found it to be faster. Of course I'll truck various bits of software into it over the next few months which might slow it down a bit as the registry gets larger. But so far, and I know it's early days, I quite like it.

You all may remember Windows ME, or Millenium. It was a sort of sawn version of Windows 2000 *** 98 and was only around for a short time before XP came along and blew it away. I'm getting an uneasy feeling that Vista might go the same way.