TID "Tidworth"

billyboy
18th July 2005, 07:56
Anyone know what became of the Tidworth.she worked at newhaven for many years. still oil fired in my time. once towed a very large floating crane from sheerness to Portsmouth with her. surprising what a little TID can pull!

meechingman
18th July 2005, 13:36
Hi William

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the thought that she was bought by Mike Newton-Smith's Metrec company and became the MNS52, or am I thinking of another 1960's Newhaven TID. I'll try to check this one out at the Museum later in the week.

Andy G

billyboy
18th July 2005, 14:06
Thanks Andy. dont get confused with the "Metric" though. she was used on the Brighton marina project. my "Older" brother was skipper on tyhat one. she was an ex-rhine barge tug i believe. twin screw, two bladed props 6' diameter running in court nozles. how come John watters died? accident?? He regarded my mother as his mother. we were close . thats why it came as a bit of a shock to me. real nice guy was John. Greatful for your friendship and knowledge andy

billyboy
18th July 2005, 14:11
could be. in my experience with this TID it meant "towing in darkness" no radar,no radio,no decca navigator.... Gods guidance + my Father at the wheel with a bottle of haigh dimple hidden in the flag locker under "S"... LOL

meechingman
27th July 2005, 17:28
Hi William

Just did some research. I was right. Tidworth was sold shortly after Meeching arrived, to Mike Newton Smith, of METREC. He enamed her after himself hence M N S 52. (I have a feeling she may have been TID 52 in an earlier life) He re-engined her in 1963, with a 400hp diesel. She was used in the construction of the Severn bridge, then was sold to Belgian owners and renamed Castor in 1966. Lloyds Register of 1975 shows her still going, but there the trail ends.

The tug 'Metrec' looks like another TID conversion, but that was later - late 1960's or early 70's, judging by the photo.

Hope to have some Tidworth photos soon, including ones with Crystal Jewel.

Andrew

billyboy
28th July 2005, 03:24
Thank you for the information about the "old TID". very greatful for your kind research Meechingman. as for the "Metric" I worked that for a few weeks on the brighton marina project. Two Caterpilar diesels she had. 2 bladed props 6 feet in diameter running in kort nozzles. believe she was used for towing barges on the Rhine before that. on the Brighton Marina project my older brother George was the skipper.
Do you remember an old trawler there called "Pandora" she was a converted french crabber. sank off Peacehaven some years ago. no one saw our flares in the fog. god that water was damn cold, second week of december that was ... LOL. Crazy days they were.