Looking for Book Title

McCloggie
8th November 2008, 06:36
Have just had lunch with a colleague who told me that his grandfather served at sea in WWII with the RNVR as "a code breaker". Unfortuneately, he died quite young and his wife and three daughters never really knew what he did and now my friend would like to know more.

I have a book back in Europe about these young men who were trained as code breakers/communicators and the work they did which was very secret but can not for the life of me remember the title!

If I remember correctly, it is written by a Scottish guy who did this work. The book itself is not that large and is a paperback and I think relatively new.

Can anyone help with the title?

Thanks

McC

K urgess
8th November 2008, 13:00
"Enigma, the Battle for the Code" by Hugh Montefiore, ISBN 0753811308. Non Fiction.
"Enigma" by Robert Harris, ISBN 0099416883. Fiction (ish) the film was based on it.
"Station X, The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park" ISBN 0330419293.

Or Just type in Enigma, Turing, or Bletchely Park into the keyword search on Abebooks.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchEntry

Plenty available.
Cheers
Kris

McCloggie
8th November 2008, 14:53
Thanks Fubar - I will pass the info on.

This really annoys me!

I love my books but can not transport them round the world with me. This was a Christmas present maybe even last year, a good read, but I have left it in Europe! It is not here so must be in Scotland or with Mrs McC in Prague.

I hate when this happens!!!

McC

K urgess
8th November 2008, 15:28
It's even worse when you know you've got it within finger reach but can't find it, McC. (Cloud)
Happens more and more these days. (Whaaa)

Cheers
Kris

Jan7
9th November 2008, 11:39
This book, perhaps http://www.simonsingh.net/The_Code_Book.html.....?

Not is modern (1999) but very interesting website.....

Jan.

andysk
17th November 2008, 17:02
There is also another one who's title (and author) escapes me at the moment, about the Pacific region codes and codebreakers, the Navajo Indian language in the USA was not comprehensible by very many non-Navajo's. I'll try to dig it out this evening (if I remember) and post the details here.

Kris, a favourite saying of my sister-in-law in NZ is "I know it's there but it won't come down from the shelf"

John Rogers
17th November 2008, 17:31
Andy, its called the "The Code Breakers" I think.

The Japanese, who were skilled code breakers, remained baffled by the Navajo language. The Japanese chief of intelligence, Lieutenant General Seizo Arisue, said that while they were able to decipher the codes used by the U.S. Army and Army Air Corps, they never cracked the code used by the Marines. The Navajo code talkers even stymied a Navajo soldier taken prisoner at Bataan. (About 20 Navajos served in the U.S. Army in the Philippines.) The Navajo soldier, forced to listen to the jumbled words of talker transmissions, said to a code talker after the war, "I never figured out what you guys who got me into all that trouble were saying."

Joe Freeman
18th November 2008, 01:19
The book you maybe looking for is "ENIGMA" How the Poles broke the Nazi Codes.
By Wladyslaw Kozaczuk and Jerzy Straszak ISBN 0-7818-0941-X
The other Enigma book by Hugh Montefiore is very detailed and desctibes the several attempts to seize the code books from sinking submarines and weather ships.
Enjoy,
Joe.