Anchor Line

celsis
9th November 2008, 16:58
Hi folks.

I never sailed on any Anchor Line boats myself, I was with Ben Line and Port Line for most of my time at sea, but my dad sailed on a few Anchor boats. I remember him telling me that his favourite ship of all the ships he was on was the Empire Halladale which was managed by Anchor Line.

I know it's a long shot, but did any old timers out there sail on the Halladale?

Uricanejack
5th August 2012, 21:38
Hi My dad sailed with anchor line back inthe 50s. Going out to India and back on a passenger ship. I can't recall the name. The Company was still going when i went to sea. I had an iterview with Anchor Line in 79 thier office was still in Glasgow.

Bobmac
31st May 2013, 10:02
Hi Celcis, Sailed in the Halladale as Deck Cadet 1954 - 1955. You'll find some info on her in suezveteransassociation.org.uk/troopships. Rgds Bobmac

Eddie Wallace
31st May 2013, 10:54
I sailed on the Halladale in May 1955 as ab on deck we trooped to the far east had a great time on her.

tom roberts
31st May 2013, 11:33
Hi Cellsis I sailed on the Halladale in the 50s.Out to Mombassa Aden etc, did two trips in her and took her to Glasgow where she was laid up for good.

keith humphreys
7th June 2013, 19:13
Hi Guys.
Sailed on MV Exmoor in 76 J/E,was loaned out to Anchor Line by my
then company Common Brothers Newcastle,joined in Antwerp,sailed
to Poland for bagged cement,then around to the gulf, where we
anchored for about 4 months waiting for a berth at Bandar Shapoor,
cant remember to many names but the 3rd/eng was a geordy named
Alan Turnbull, believe the 2nd/eng that joined in the gulf was named
Eddie Curriewaller a true gentleman,cant remember the deck crowd
but there were a couple of Common Brothers staff on at the time
good ship good crew.
Regards
Keith

Nova Scotian
8th June 2013, 15:11
I was a passenger on the Empire Halladale in 1950. I was just four and returning to the UK, from Ceylon, with my parents and brother. My father had been stationed in Colombo with the RAF. We sailed out on the Empire Windrush.

keith humphreys
11th June 2013, 17:36
Hi Nova Scotian.
1950's was a bit early for me,but I will always remember my time on the Exmoor,as all the Anchor line people onboard were some of the best people i have sailed with,I don't think there would have been anyone onboard that would have remembered the Halladale.
Regards.
Keith.

Uricanejack
16th December 2013, 02:35
My Father in Law sailed on the Cammeronian From 1949 1950
Murdo Maciver he is from Arnol and sailed with several other Lewis men on the Cameronian,

geoffakelly
1st February 2014, 20:01
I did my first trip to sea on a anchor line ship.."Egidia" Sailed from Salford to Aden/Karachi and Bombay.
The ship was sold in dec 1980 and we paid off at hook of Holland to catch the harwich ferry to home..

keith humphreys
2nd February 2014, 15:45
Hi Geoff.
Was wondering if you can remember any of your crew mates, when did you do your first trip, and what dept were you in.
Regards.
Keith.

geoffakelly
15th March 2014, 01:43
So sorry for delay Keith..
I was just 16 and clueless..
All i can remember is that is was a Yemen and Somali deck and engine crew and British catering and officers mostly from Scotland.. captain was john swan (checked discharge book),I worked by in salford for weeks before we sailed to Aden..It was oct 1980.Paid off on 2nd jan 1981...I was catering..

ARGK342
15th March 2014, 03:12
So sorry for delay Keith..
I was just 16 and clueless..
All i can remember is that is was a Yemen and Somali deck and engine crew and British catering and officers mostly from Scotland.. captain was john swan (checked discharge book),I worked by in salford for weeks before we sailed to Aden..It was oct 1980.Paid off on 2nd jan 1981...I was catering..

Hi Geoff, I joined Egidia at Manchester. We went to Swansea then Glasgow for 3 weeks over Christmas. Manchester, Marseille, Aden, Bombay, Karachi, Bombay, Karachi, Bombay and then back to KG5 at Glasgow where I paid off. Almost 7 months in total.
I think that would've been at least a couple of years before you joined the ship. It was its second trip to India after being bought from a Greek company and having its name changed.
John Williamson [Jon Willie] was skipper.

L888doc
8th May 2014, 22:07
I'm sure my late pal wullie slattery was on this ship. He was chief cook but at that time he might have been pantry or2nd cook or even galley boy. Wullie passed away Boxing Day 2003due to prostrate cancer.