Brunei floating storage

Vital Sparks
12th November 2008, 13:00
In the Mid 1980s, there were a number of VLCCs anchored off Brunei which were being used a floating storage, Renown, Respource, Resolution and Reliance I think. They were in semi lay-up, the steam ships had their engine rooms de-humidified but the Resource, by then converted to diesel, still had her engine room in use. I remember this quite well because my last trip was on the Resource and it ended when, while visiting the Renown, I smashed my shoulder
boarding a lifeboat (away cricket match!). How did those ships finally escape?

Gordon L Smeaton
12th November 2008, 13:09
All the R Boats ended up in floating sorage, I did 3 full trips at anchor on the Ranger before transferring into the North Sea before the axe fell on us all. If my memory serves me well the Resource was the first back in service as she was diesel. The remaining steamers stayed for a considerable period I think the last one left after doing about 4 years as storage. The steamers enginerooms were not dehumidified as we were all on 72 hours notice to move, the boilers were kept in a state of wet layup. I remember the incident of the broken shoulder so I should know you.

connie
12th November 2008, 15:28
hi,
i was also on the ranger from february to may 1985, it was akin to a prison sentence, seem to remember rain water was collected off the deck and was recyled, also one of the main high lights was the shipping agent comming out occasionally with his videos, lol.kept fit by pounding the deck.
regards con.

Vital Sparks
13th November 2008, 13:06
Hi Gordon, yes I remember hearing you on the VHF, I remember the flotilla did a lot of QSPs for each other with both GKA and VIP (VIS never seemed to answer). I also remember visiting the Ranger to try out a suspected faulty PCB from the ARPA. I also remember the water shortages and noisy external diesel alternators.

Gordon L Smeaton
13th November 2008, 14:52
So by the powers of deduction you must be Phil Marsden. Well I stayed with BP until 2006, completed 40 years with them. the last two years semi-retired and working through an agency, but with the economic downturn may be looking for somethng more permanent. Take it you got out around 86

Vital Sparks
13th November 2008, 18:13
No I'm not Phil but I believe we met again in Belfast when I visited the Seillean to debug the radiating cable system used for internal comms.

Col Robinson
24th November 2008, 16:54
I started my penultimate trip on the Respect in Brunei. She's already been there for a year or more when we joined. All our power came from a CAT generator in the gantry space and we too recycled rain water. At first life was quite cushy with 3 half days per week; but cushy soon turned to boredom. After six weeks there we were all delighted when we received orders to go to Singapore to discharge and then spent the rest of the trip doing a proper job.

McCloggie
24th November 2008, 17:02
BP Shipcare developed the lay-up area off Labuan and a good facility it is too.

Bluewater's hull Aoka Mizu (now being completed at Sembawang) was there and was well looked after.

The ship was probably in better nick when she arrived in Sembawang from lay-up than she is now with sea trials maybe this week (or then again maybe not)!

McC

gdynia
24th November 2008, 18:06
I sailed on the Respect shortly after she came out of Lay up we were on a Persian Gulf to Singapore run at first with a part load to Phillipines then went on the Larak Terminal to St. Lucia run. She was in a mess after lay up and had to take a British Riding Gang on to high pressure water blast the decks

jl1977
29th November 2008, 13:27
BP Shipcare developed the lay-up area off Labuan and a good facility it is too.

Bluewater's hull Aoka Mizu (now being completed at Sembawang) was there and was well looked after.

The ship was probably in better nick when she arrived in Sembawang from lay-up than she is now with sea trials maybe this week (or then again maybe not)!

McC

Hi McCloggie
I have been told that the Aoka Mizu will leave Singapore in the first or second week of december. Can you confirm that?
Do you know when it will arriwe at the Ettrick field?

Thanks!
Best regards
JL1977

Forbes1922
14th October 2010, 11:46
No I'm not Phil but I believe we met again in Belfast when I visited the Seillean to debug the radiating cable system used for internal comms.

Hi Last saw Phil Marsden in 1990 ? he left the Stena Seaspread and retired to Beverly nr Hull, as his wife was not well.
Stena Seaspread taken over by Cable and Wireless
nb Mt old mate Dave Fothergill spent a few years out east with the laid up ships , He retired from BP after 42 years.
(I left BP in 1980 after 20 years )
fORBES