Hudson Steamship Company

M29
12th November 2008, 14:31
Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan

tanker
13th November 2008, 20:53
Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan

For you HUDSON DEEP in 60s.
Gp

Ron Stringer
14th November 2008, 11:07
Have a friend sailed as R/O on the ''Hudson Bay'' for two winters, 1948-50.

muldonaich
14th November 2008, 12:21
think denholms managed two of these ships for a while

Locking Splice
14th November 2008, 15:08
Sailed on their big bulky the "Varangifell" back in the early 70's. Good outfit. Seem to rermember the company address was Ship Street, Brighton, Sussex.

Best Regards

Yuge

TIM HUDSON
14th November 2008, 16:01
around 1960 Hudson Steamship Company had 2 deep sea ships and 6 coastal smaller ships:
Hudson Deep built 1952 6189 GRT Motor ship
Hudson Point built 1957 7863 GRT Motor ship
Hudson Bay built 1941 2013 GRT Steam recip
Hudson Cape built 1946 2524 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Firth built 1949 3177 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson River built 1949 3128 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Sound Built 1950 2577 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Strait built 1946 3105 GRT Steam Recip.
All very regular River Tyne traders.
i seem to remember in late 60's the Deep or Point was in New Zealand and caused a national port strike or seafarers strike by being there but age has taken its toll and i cannot remember more of this incident.
regards
tim hudson (no relation)

TIM HUDSON
14th November 2008, 16:11
Forgot another .... Hudson Light built at Redheads, South Shields 1965 another 6000GRT Motorship.

There is a published history of the company (publisher Bernard McCall)

tim

GBXZ
15th November 2008, 03:45
Interesting, I spent over a year on the Hudson Deep running bulk sugar into Auckland from Fiji and Queensland. The charter was with CSR (Colonial Sugar Refiners) who were Sydney based. Sugar everywhere, crunch crunch crunch.
I joined in Auckland in early 1968 along with a complete crew change, and she was dry docked over a year later at the Devonport naval dockyard, and on completion the charter was continued.
I seem to recall that there was a lot of grief with the New Zealand unions over the manning and operating of the Hudson Deep as it was seen as "stealing jobs", but no action was ever taken.

Ivor Lloyd
15th November 2008, 07:26
I sailed as R/O on Hudson Strait and Dagenham
Anyone sail with Capt James Gibbons DSC

Ivor

M29
19th November 2008, 08:40

Ivor

Some good posts here, thanks. I believe my brother sailed with Cpt Gibbons on "Hudson Deep" over a period of 18 months in 1961/62. Hudson Deep spent most of this time around Australia/ NewZealand, Noumea, Fiji. As an apprentice, he certainly got his sea time in quick with this company. I seem to recall thinking I would never see him again!

Tanker, thanks for photo, will pass on.

Alan

Seemore
19th November 2008, 08:56
Sailed on the Hudson Firth in 1956 from the Tyne, loaded silver sand in Bremen for Puertot Rico then loaded sugar at Cuidad trijillo and Port au Prince for Silver Town
Seemore

greektoon
19th November 2008, 11:53
I sailed with Hudsons during the 80's. At that time the fleet comprised: Garrison Point / Crusader Point / Landguard Point / Warden Point (all small bulkers) and the dreaded Sir Alexander Glen, sister to Derbyshire. A decent outfit all in all but history now of course.

Some of the ships went on to lead colourful lives post Hudsons. The Crusader Point was converted to a Gas tanker and the Landguard Point a Products / chem tanker. The Warden Point was converted to a dedicated cement carrier.

fryatt
19th November 2008, 12:24
i used to work at hudson Steamship in Brighton from about 1973 until about 1978 and did one trip on Hudson Light as mate during the miners strike (sulpher from dakar to UKC) in 1974

BobClay
19th November 2008, 23:36
I sailed on a supertanker in 1972 called the Hudson Friendship. It was brand new, built in Malmo if I recall. I was an RO for Kelvin Hughes at the time, and this was my first VLCC.

After a Bank Boat, this ship was an eye opener. I'm not sure what happened to the Hudson Company, or those tankers, but I would like to find out.

lamptrimmer
21st November 2008, 01:03
I sailed on the HUDSON DEEP 1963/1964 Capt's Elsdon. Wickman and Crosby.She was the original Super collier with Blyth ( Bates and West) as her usual loading port and discharge at Northfleet Power Station on the Thames.No expense was spared to keep her on the move. We signed Home Trade Articles but worked watch aboard watch ashore.Experience gained during her time on the N.E. Coast helped design the next generation of colliers like the HUDSON LIGHT.

OOCy
21st November 2008, 13:47
My father, Ben Goodman, sailed with them as Chief Engineer in the 1970's. Ships he were on, were Hudson Light (Blyth/Tilbury run), Hudson Belle and the Verangafjel (??).
On the Light, remember meeting someone called "Sherrif" and was on the Belle for the voyage from Glasgow to Barry Island Drydocks to be handed over to the new owners in 1976.

CLIVE R786860
22nd November 2008, 16:26
Sailed on the Hudson Point about 1965 loaded yellow phosphate in Foynes southern Ireland for the Texas ports of Baumont and Brownsville.Joined the Hudson Deep in Blyth very early 70s running coal from the north east coast to the London river Grays/West Thurrock,sticks had been taken off her and we worked 5 on 5off got some pics somewhere that i took in Ming Ming.

Hugh Ferguson
22nd November 2008, 17:30
Did anyone sail in the Hudson Light in 1969?

Ivor Lloyd
22nd November 2008, 18:06
I sailed on the HUDSON DEEP 1963/1964 Capt's Elsdon. Wickman and Crosby.She was the original Super collier with Blyth ( Bates and West) as her usual loading port and discharge at Northfleet Power Station on the Thames.No expense was spared to keep her on the move. We signed Home Trade Articles but worked watch aboard watch ashore.Experience gained during her time on the N.E. Coast helped design the next generation of colliers like the HUDSON LIGHT.

Lamptrimmer :

Would that be Cpt A Crosby ?
I sailed with him when he was Capt of the SS Dagenham (Hudsons)

Ivor

Pat Kennedy
23rd November 2008, 12:34
I was working in Canmmell Lairds in the 1970's, when Hudson Fuel and Shipping ordered four Stat32 tankers. the first of these Hudson Progress was launched in Feb 1975, followed by Hudson Cavalier in July of the same year and Hudson Deep in January of 1976. Because of Hudson's financial problems, Cammell Laird took ownership of these three. The fourth was not built until 1981, and was named Bayleaf, and was chartered to MOD Navy in March 1982.
The Hudson Progress was operated as Balder London until 1984, when she was sold to MOD and renamed Orangeleaf. The Hudson Cavalier became RFA Brambleleaf in 1980, and the Hudson Deep became RFA Appleleaf in 1979.

Bayleaf is back in Birkenhead undergoing refit by a company with the same name as that which built her, and in the same yard.
A picture of Bayleaf here
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/146142/ppuser/12939

Bill Davies
23rd November 2008, 12:45
Pat,

Can you give your view on whether the Cammell Laird reincarnation will be a success.

Brgds

Bill

lamptrimmer
23rd November 2008, 14:06
Lamptrimmer :

Would that be Cpt A Crosby ?
I sailed with him when he was Capt of the SS Dagenham (Hudsons)

Ivor

Yes the signature says A. Crosby . Well respected by us Deckies. He was not adverse to giving a blast on the whistle to get the lads from the GOLDEN FLEECE for the P.M. sailings.I often wonder how he would have reacted to a suggestion that the Company supply him with overalls and a douvet to help with crew reduction.The Chief Officer was Mr. Uminski (spelling may be incorrect) known to us as The Duke.On one trip from Blyth we loaded 7,700 tons which was then I think a record cargo for a collier.We also had a good turn of speed and the Chief Eng.delighted in leaving the WATERLAND behind.
A very sad day when the "DEEP" sank in the Western Med. in 1972.

Regards
lamptrimmer

Pat Kennedy
23rd November 2008, 17:55
Pat,

Can you give your view on whether the Cammell Laird reincarnation will be a success.

Brgds

Bill

Bill,
I doubt if my view would be objective.
I want very much for it to be a success, and the agreement with Fincantiere must mean something is in the offing, but as someone else pointed out on another thread, all the machinery and shipbuilding equipment is gone. It would take a massive investment to set it all up again, but I really hope it can be done.
Pat

Bill Davies
23rd November 2008, 20:20
Pat,

Your response probably sums up my feelings.

Bill

gypsy
18th May 2009, 21:10
If I recall correctly, it was the Hudson Sound (built 1950: later re-named the Rosella, then Cathy, then Vedalin) that was impounded in the inner harbor of Baltimore, Maryland, during the mid 1970's for unpaid bills. I worked as an office drone in a bureaucracy then, and used to haunt the harbor in my free time, dreaming of more exciting worlds. I was never able to go aboard, but I drove by the pier and parked alongside her many a time to "gaze in wild surmise."

Just the ship, I figured, for a Humphrey Bogart sort of fellow such as myself to captain, tramping throughout the South Seas, with a half-dozen or so passengers rangeing from spies to drug lords to beautiful Eurasian Countesses with scandalous pasts....

Trips to the Vedalin kept me sane, gazing out the window through many an office workday. If my checking account balance had not been a complete laughingstock I'd have bought that ship.

You who have lived the life for real may not realize how powerful the pull of the fantasy is for those of us ashore.

BillH
19th May 2009, 05:57
An illustrated A4 book on the company and fleets was published a couple of years ago by Coastal Shipping
The author was Graham Atkinson

Ronnie fae Kirkcaldy
5th June 2009, 20:31

My Dad was on the Hudson Deep at the end of 1964. Was made up to bosun on the Deep then went on the Hudson River after that. He was also on the Cape, Bay and the Light. Do you remember him? Alastair Stuart was his name.

Regards
Ronnie Stuart

dave beaumont
12th June 2009, 10:08
Sailed on Bel_Hudson in July 1971 taking vw's from Bremen to Toledo and Chicago. Great trip. Captain Uminski in command. Dave

william.marshall439
10th July 2009, 22:12
I sailed on the Light 68/9 the Trader(tanker)70,Venture 71,Varangfjell 74/5,Friendship 75/6,Bel Hudson 76,Venture again76,Garrison Point 77,then I left to go to other companies. It was a good company to be with, sorry it is no longer, remember a few names:- Uminski,Tommy Hall, Alex Slesser, Tommy Bainbridge, Aldo Swarfini ?, Brian Mosely,Sherrif Chester,Derrek Willey, Joe Davison,Sammy the cook, is anybody out there still alive.

peter potts
21st July 2009, 15:09
hi joined Garrison Point new Leith 77 mostly Blyth Thames ok for me then lived Blyth . Varangfjell 76 Hamberg to Orleans grain run

dave g.
12th November 2009, 21:13
does anyone have photos of hudson sound

dave g.

kaybee
13th November 2009, 22:45
Hi

Alan

I sailed on the coaster collier Hudson Light, 24/2/75 - 07-03-75. Short time I know, but I couldn't take to coastal work. I said then; after shoveling the spilt coal from the deck back in to the hatche's; "bugger working down a pit if it's like this". Two years later I ended up working underground for seventeen and a half years. And do you know what? I thoroughly enjoyed my time down there until Mrs Thatcher closed the pits.:@

bobs
14th November 2009, 02:10
Was anybody on the Hudson Light on any of it's little mishaps, particularly the carving of a great big hole in the side of Bitish India's CHANTALA in 1969?

robbie 1954
21st November 2010, 18:14
When I was at South Shields Marine College in 1975 met a girl whose father was a Chief Engineer with Hudsons, his name was Jack Spour. He was standing by a VLCC being built in Sweden when he had an accident and when [I] knew him he was on sick leave.

Ivor Lloyd
21st November 2010, 18:47
Hi

Alan

Hi Alan
Did you sail with Capt James Gbbons DSC on the Deep ?
I sailed with him as R/O on the Hudson Strait for Two years in 1947
also was on Dagenham Capt Crosbie

Ivor

John Ashford
21st November 2010, 19:00
My late brother in law was a ships radio officer on the Hudson steamers, sailing out of Blyth to the Thames ladden with coal.

He also sailed the world on some of the big oil carriers.

ribman
23rd August 2011, 09:01

My father was on the hudson light in 69 and the belle shortly after that . sadly passe away now , but would like to here from anyone who knew him. Jack Proud was his name (Bosun)

ribman
23rd August 2011, 09:04

My father Jack Proud (bosun) sailed on the hudson light and the bell around that time . Would like to here from anyone who knew him.

malan
3rd September 2011, 10:38
Hi

Alan

my dad was on the hudson deep left the ship in auckland newzealand in november 1969 not been seen since

M29
5th September 2011, 12:48
Hi Alan
Did you sail with Capt James Gbbons DSC on the Deep ?
I sailed with him as R/O on the Hudson Strait for Two years in 1947
also was on Dagenham Capt Crosbie

Ivor

Sorry for delayed reply Ivor but not checked thread for while. No, it was not me that sailed with Hudsons but my brother and I beleive he sailed with Captain Gibson.

Best wishes
Alan

rodney willett
4th October 2011, 14:58
Hello Allen Joined Hudson Friendship in Dubai where she had been laid up in 1976 loaded at Kharg Island then back to Le Harve and Fawley from there she when up to Norway to lay up again not sure of what happend to her then.

ralphg
19th November 2012, 23:08
Hi

Alan

Hello Alan Sailed on the Hubson Firth 3rd eng. 1957/60 Ralphg
and the Chief Eng. was Bob Chambers of Whitley Bay.

ralphg
19th November 2012, 23:29
Sailed on Bel_Hudson in July 1971 taking vw's from Bremen to Toledo and Chicago. Great trip. Captain Uminski in command. Dave

Sailed with Captain Uminski When he was 1st Mate on the Hubson Firth
1957/60 Good Friend and salt of the earth. Regards Ralphg.

ralphg
20th November 2012, 00:30
Sailed as 3rd Eng with Capt. Crosby and Chief Officer Uminski on the Hubson Firth 1957/60 Both these Officers were well respected by all Eng/Room staff, Especially when we were in near fatal collision with RMS Loch Ryon off start point in 1957 ending up in Hull dry dock having new bow fitted and unexpected leave.

sam2182sw
20th November 2012, 12:28
Hi ralphg I remember that ship very well i was employed as an handing lad at Brigham and Cowan ltd Hull, she dry dock in K.G.D.Hull. she came in fully loaded and she was dry docked fully loaded, the bow had to be renewed from top to bottom and it went right back to the number one hold bulkhead lucky that it did not bust the bulkhead our it could have been worst then it was. it was a good job for us lots of over time and six weeks extra work to fit new bow. did you have any photos of the damage. sam2182sw

peterjim
24th March 2013, 20:10

Ivor

Hi Ivor,

Capt James Gibbons was my grandfather. I never had the chance to sail with him, though my mother did quite regularly during school holidays. He was an amazing man and a real character - we never tired of his stories.... I'd be keen to hear any memories you may have (good or bad!).

Sadly my grandfather passed away in April 1988.

All the best,
Pete

Shipbuilder
24th March 2013, 20:40
I had a couple of beers aboard Hudson Deep in Savona, Italy the day after Churchill's funeral. Nice ship. I was in Sagamore, Furness Withy at the time. Last Hudsons I saw were in Cammell Lairds in 1977 when I was aboard the Algol for fitting out.
Bob

jim.child
25th March 2013, 17:20
i sailed on the deep from 13-9-61 until 08-01-62 elsdon was master. central america and canada, sailed from vancouver to uk.

madbob
27th March 2013, 01:45
Was appointed 2nd Mate to Hudson Firth in early 64 with instructions to meet the Master in the 'Railway' close to Harton Staithes. I was early, he was late, with the inevitable consequence. Was told thanks but no thanks. Appointed to 'Thomas Hardie' instead. Had family friend Bill Manningham who was Ch.Stwd with Hudsons for many years and ran into him in Montreal when he was in 'Hudson Point'.

graham william lott
12th July 2013, 19:09
joined Hudson deep march 1966 Nantes France discharged Auckland April 1967replaced with Chinese crew

graham william lott
12th July 2013, 19:16
i sailed on the deep from 13-9-61 until 08-01-62 elsdon was master. central america and canada, sailed from vancouver to uk.

sailed Hudson deep 08/03/66 12/04/67 Auckland Queensland

williamg
9th October 2013, 23:06
Sailed as 3rd Eng with Capt. Crosby and Chief Officer Uminski on the Hubson Firth 1957/60 Both these Officers were well respected by all Eng/Room staff, Especially when we were in near fatal collision with RMS Loch Ryon off start point in 1957 ending up in Hull dry dock having new bow fitted and unexpected leave.

HI Ralph just joined tonight while browsing web. you and I sailed on the Hudson Firth together I was the R/O after O'Shaughnessy left. C/E Vernon Parker, 2/E Robert Bridges were the engineers. It was my first ship as a solo R/O and I thought I was a way for 5 weeks I think we came back 8 months later. Nice to see your name here. The Chief Steward was an Ex Canadian Bootlegger for which we were all grateful!! .

Sanddancer II
9th November 2013, 16:02
In 1964 I sailed on the Hudson Point. All the while at school I yearned for a life at sea, my father however wouldn't hear of it until I had served an apprenticeship. Immediately I completed my time I set about getting away. I joined the Hudson Point as a Junior Eng. at the Mercantile Dry Dock in Jarrow on the River Tyne. I had never been near a ship in my life and I don't think I had been outside my hometown of South Shields. We sailed from the Tyne for Flushings where we took on bunkers. We sailed immediately to Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic and took on sugar. We then sailed through the Panama Canal to Auckland in New Zealand to discharge the sugar. The Chief Engineer at the time was Peter Surtees and the third Engineer was Paddy Joyce from Jarrow. This was, and still is the highlight of my life. I still have a few pictures I can upload if anyone is interested.

Alan Maggs
3rd March 2014, 11:21
I remember HUDSON DEEP in Newcastle NSW in 1961/2 when I was an apprentice in the RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE.
From memory she was well kept with a black? hull, red funnel with black top and a large white H on each side of the funnel.
Alan

Grant Young
24th September 2014, 20:44
I sailed on the Light 68/9 the Trader(tanker)70,Venture 71,Varangfjell 74/5,Friendship 75/6,Bel Hudson 76,Venture again76,Garrison Point 77,then I left to go to other companies. It was a good company to be with, sorry it is no longer, remember a few names:- Uminski,Tommy Hall, Alex Slesser, Tommy Bainbridge, Aldo Swarfini ?, Brian Mosely,Sherrif Chester,Derrek Willey, Joe Davison,Sammy the cook, is anybody out there still alive.
My Dad Jim (Jimmy) Young sailed as an electrician on many of those vessels named above in the 70's, did you know him?

Forbes1922
21st October 2014, 12:57
I sailed on HUDSON POINT Feb1961 /July 61 Captain WIckman Jarrow to Santa Domingo to Auckland then Townsvile to Liverpool round the world in 5 months carrying sugar of course good old days

Forbes1922
21st October 2014, 13:03
There is a book by Graham Atkinson Sinn about Hudson Steamship co 13 full of photos and the various voyages that the ship's did. Isbn 1-902953-14-2

Forbes1922
21st October 2014, 13:34
Great book by Graham Atkinson 're Hudson Steamship co. Lots of photos and history mentions most ships and who their Captains were and the voyages the ship's did costs 13 Isbn 1-902953-14-2 code. 9 781902 953144 don't know if it I s still in print