Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered....

makko
12th November 2008, 16:27
In the vein of other threads......Lets hear your anecdotes about your time in Phase I and III and the lecturering characters ......!!!!
Rgds.
Dave

baffled
12th November 2008, 22:27
@ Riversdale [1972].

Eric Knowles;
Font of knowledge, good humoured, good natured and patient.

imho.

B.

Baz1uk
12th November 2008, 22:35
Joe Watson,Electrical Lecturer at Liverpool Poly.....and DIggle..ex ED I think

Blackal
13th November 2008, 21:43
GCNS (GLasgow College of Nautical Studies)

Alan Bolwell - Applied Heat (Thermodynamics?). An absolute genius, who as luck would have it (for us) set the final exam paper(Thumb)

Sandy Smith - Seemed harsh at the time (phase 1) but turned out to be an ace guy (phase 3). Sadly - he made it to the top of the tree at the college in time for all the cadet lay-offs.

Dougie Patterson - Electrical Engineering. You would think he ran the Phase 3 workshop (EEK) . Told the class that his wife was a "Catering Manager". I couldn't help myself - I shouted "Your wife's a dinner lady at ***** High School!" :o

Surprisingly - I didn't fail.

Al (Thumb)

eldersuk
14th November 2008, 00:20
Joe Watson was a great guy - one time Mayor of Maghull. Sadly passed away some years ago.
I think Diggle was ex BF but wouldn't argue about it.

Derek Roger
14th November 2008, 00:52
Anyone remember George Saltrese ( E/Ks ) or Commander Kenworthy Neale (Heat Engines ) George Harwood ( Math ) Others are clear in my mind but I cannot put a name Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Derek

Derek Roger
14th November 2008, 00:54
Elecro Tech was a mister Endbinder . The grey cells are kicking in again . Derek

Derek Roger
14th November 2008, 01:05
Also at Riversdale I think it was a Mr Humpries who took us for Applied Mechanics ???
At the end of first year finals he read out all the marks and mine was omitted ! Stuck up my paw and asked as to mine . Had me out in the front of the class and showed me the paper 100% scored out and 99% marked in .
"Took off a percent for poor writing he said " Otherwise you would be as smart as me as that,s not going to Happen !

Was I ever Pleased Derek

makko
14th November 2008, 07:41
Great Posts! Keep them coming guys! Knowlsie, agree a great guy! His son went on to great things as a surveyor! Any comments on Birkenhead Tech? I am in Honduras, will post more later! Derek Burton, Mc Cloud, Ashok?

Bill Davies
14th November 2008, 09:18
Joe Watson was a great guy - one time Mayor of Maghull. Sadly passed away some years ago.
I think Diggle was ex BF but wouldn't argue about it.

Diggle was indeed Blue Funnel. Understand he still sports his yachty type hat and cycles everywhere around West Kirby. Eric Knowles, Chairman of NW IMarEST is not keeping the best of health but still active.

tankerman2
14th November 2008, 09:55
I remember my time at Bolton. The cadets had the old church, an annex to the college. At lunch time you could get a pint of cider and a paste and go site amongst the graves.
First year was easy, not a lot of work done, everyone away from home for the first time. Second year was hard. Had to cram both years work into the second. After that we all went our own ways. Still remember the names and faces although they will have all changed since 1968

oglebilluk
14th November 2008, 12:18
Yes Riversdale back in 1955. Gordon (?) Kenworthy-Kneale (Heat Engines) has already had a mention; also George Harwood who would help us out with any other subject when needed; ? Bailey for Mechanics (he was a bell ringer at the Sailors Church) also very proud of his Rover car - we lifted it onto bricks so the rear wheels were just off the ground, he started it and thought the clutch had gone. I can see the sadistic PE guy but can't put a name to him. I'll try to recall some others, who was it who went to a new college in(I think) Singapore?

John Graham
14th November 2008, 14:44
GCNS (GLasgow College of Nautical Studies)

Alan Bolwell - Applied Heat (Thermodynamics?). An absolute genius, who as luck would have it (for us) set the final exam paper(Thumb)

Sandy Smith - Seemed harsh at the time (phase 1) but turned out to be an ace guy (phase 3). Sadly - he made it to the top of the tree at the college in time for all the cadet lay-offs.

Dougie Patterson - Electrical Engineering. You would think he ran the Phase 3 workshop (EEK) . Told the class that his wife was a "Catering Manager". I couldn't help myself - I shouted "Your wife's a dinner lady at ***** High School!" :o

Surprisingly - I didn't fail.

Al (Thumb)

Spot on with Sandy Smith. would come across as an ogre when you were in phase 1. However, I was sat with him in the GCNS canteen a few years later when doing my 4th's ticket. By that point CGNS was doing secreterial courses, and other non sea faring stuff. Sandy looked round the canteen, and commented sadly that we were the only 2 guys in a nearly packed canteen that had ever been at sea.

Alan 'If you do what I tell you, you will get 85% in your exams' Bolwell. there's a name I haven't heard in many years. A really nice guy. He once made the 85% qoute to my class when we were in phase 1. Some bright spark stuck his hand up and said 'If we do what you tell us surely we will get 100%!' For once Alan was stuck for words

Baz1uk
18th November 2008, 22:51
Gordon Kenworthy-Kneale left RTC to start up the marine dept(?) at LLandaff.We had him for EK's at RTC,but he was more involved with the new HMS Eaglet shore base at the time.

orcades
20th November 2008, 05:49
Does anyone remember, Elsby and Mac taggarts college of Marine Engineering located in Upper Parliament street in Liverpool, number 11 I think it was.I studied there in 1956.

Steve Hodges
23rd November 2008, 15:42
I remember a real character that taught us Maths at Poplar Tech in the late 60s, but I can't recall his name now. He was only a young bloke, but he had a Master's degree in Maths, and was currently doing a degree in Law by correspondence course ( he used to get on with it in class while we were doing the dreaded "worked examples").And in his spare time his hobby was amateur wrestling!
I also remember Commander Martin who taught us Naval Arch., who had served on the Royal Yacht and always seemed somewhat out-of-place at Poplar. He took us down to HMS Phoenix at Portsmouth, put us all in the damage control simulator and half-drowned us. I think it was his revenge for not being able to impose naval discipline on us long-haired MN louts.

uisdean mor
27th November 2008, 17:23
Birkenhead had an older gent for Heat who managed to make things simple and easily understood -name ???? Sory
Also remember a Elec-Power guy - ex boxer - huge forehead no hair and bulging eyes who made things absolutely as hard as possible. Tripped over his own desk legs one day - constantly looking and talking at the ceiling instead of us poor plebs - and he then proceeded to throw a complete strop throwing the chair and wastebin out the front window ?? 3 floors up. Lessons over for the day and retire to Rock ferry Arms for a few darts and some lager lube.
Rgds
Uisdean Mor

MARINEJOCKY
27th November 2008, 19:10
I just received a small booklet from my father, it is the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies prize giving ceremony booklet dated Friday 11th May 1973 for session 1972 - 1973, chairman Mr. J. C. Robertson, Principal. Mr. R. Marshall. It lists the various prize winners, I was lucky enough to win a 2nd prize for my 2nd year behind Peter Ridley.

That was only thanks to Sandy Smith and his numerous colleagues who taught me, insulated me and one who actually kicked my butt for messing around. How I remember him coming into our class room and reading out the various results for the guys after those numerous tests and giving each a compliment or a word of encouragement but when he called out my name it was to tell me to go out to the corridor. That was the best thing he ever did, I was really struggling and home sick but he told me I would never make it so I set out to prove him wrong. I did and years later over a few beers and after fixing his own boat I thanked him.

Who remembers wee Logan, the maths guy, uncle Shuggie with the rubber gasket material on his demob suit wrists and elbow. Mr. Elliott with a yellow VW Beetle, what was the name of the applied mechanics lecturer who played the organ at the art galleries and had good looking daughters who would bring their friends from the "do'e" school to the organ nights and the one or two disco nights we had in the hall at our college.

I received an email from somebody who is organizing a 40th reunion at GCNS in November 2009 which made me realize just how many years have passed since those days.

Does anybody remember the engineer cadets who took out the very poor 1600cc engine in the old Capri and replaced it with the new big engine from one of the arab deck cadets much newer Capri in one afternoon.

Besides the lecturers who remembers the "hot" girls in the office, mini skirts and all.

All good memories

Blackal
28th November 2008, 02:56
Yeah, I remember Logan - who used to whiz around the room, while teaching mathematics.
Elliot was the Engineering Drawing lecturer.
Davy Duff would have been the Phase 3 manager at that time?

Al

Irvingman
28th November 2008, 08:54
[QUOTE=MARINEJOCKY;268708]
........... what was the name of the applied mechanics lecturer who played the organ at the art galleries and had good looking daughters who would bring their friends from the "do'e" school to the organ nights and the one or two disco nights we had in the hall at our college.........

Besides the lecturers who remembers the "hot" girls in the office, mini skirts and all.

All good memories[/QUOTE

There was an applied mechanics lecturer called Mr Barclay in Phase I and a Mr Mahon in Phase III.

And yes I do remember the mini skirts - one of the girls was called Pat can't remember the name of the other but I can remember her legs!! (Thumb)

Wee John
28th November 2008, 11:28
I dont need to try to remember the name of one girl from the office, I married her when she was in West Graham St. just before the move to the new college, so she was able to retire just after the move. She still does a wee bit typing for me but still won't tell me the answers to the questions.

MARINEJOCKY
28th November 2008, 14:45
I wonder how many cadets went off to sea dreaming of "Pat". Was there not another girl in the office that Paul from OND married later on. I think I heard years later that they got divorced.

What was the electrical lecturer called, a wee sturdy built guy with a beard.

I can not remember the lecturers from Stowe but do remember the pies filled with old mutton and grease and a spoonful of beans at the pub around the corner. I also remember one cadet in my class standing fast asleep at the vice when he was supposedly filing a block of steel, one to many beers at lunch time.

how many of us went through the YMCA hostel on Bothwel Street while going thru' GCNS

MARINEJOCKY
30th November 2008, 23:00
The following is copied from an email I recieved about the reunion at GCNS

Thistle Hotel, Glasgow City
Dear Friends of GCNS

We are planning a dinner dance on Sat 3 Nov 09 to celebrate the College's 40th anniversary and would like former members of staff to get in touch as well as interested students.

We hope to put together a commerative brochure to mark this special event and would love to hear from you and share any memories and or photographs you have of your time at the College.

Please get in touch with me at a.brannan@gcns.ac.uk

I look forward very much to hearing from you.

Ann Brannan
Marketing Manager
GCNS 21 Thistle Street, Glasgow
Tel 0141 565 2554

Blackal
30th November 2008, 23:10
Good God! They have a "Marketing Manager" (EEK)

That's progress!

Al :sweat:

clarkie59
14th December 2008, 22:03
How many BP Tanker Men remember Gerry Betts at Llandarcy on their Instrumentation Course? And what does a Capacitor Say? "Oh for a short accross my terminals" and what do the electrons do?

finetune
18th December 2008, 19:36
@ Riversdale [1972].

Eric Knowles;
Font of knowledge, good humoured, good natured and patient.

imho.

B.

Eric was all of the above,learned much from him.
George

david freeman
18th December 2008, 20:17
In the vein of other threads......Lets hear your anecdotes about your time in Phase I and III and the lecturering characters ......!!!!
Rgds.
Dave
There must be some memories of Shields Phase 2 BP Cadets and laterly of BOT Courses at Hull, and Then at Shields. I had good times the recollection of the Phase 2 lectures escape me, but some of The BOT HULL course lecturers for steam and then motor endorsements, and the Xtra's at Shields I had many a good time with, but again (Morson-Mechanics, The Heat Guy, and the fluids guy at Shields, together with eng. Knowledge, and off course electrics, and Naval Arch-Studied ate and reguritated his books on Naval construction and Design-Part of the REED Books, these subjects I remember at Shields). The Queens Gardens Hull Guys I remember and their faces but not their names except for the Head of Engineering who left Joined the local water board and then rejoined, and was active with the I Mar E and later rejoined the Hull Tech at Queens Gardens.

Duncan112
18th December 2008, 20:56
OK here goes the ones I can remember, all good guys

Phase I at Greenhithe (ex Poplar)

JR (Ray) Williams - Marine Engineering Practise - "Daddy" as he was a father figure to us phase I cadets sadly passed on about 10 years ago
EW (Big Ted) Wiles - Electrotech
E Ball (Little Ted) - Electrotech
AK Mitra - MEP last heard of at Greenwich University
Gordon Bennett - Drawing - anyone heard what happened to him?
John Anderson - Thermodynamics
John Kannard? - Maths
John Heber-Hall - Workshop and Workshop Technology still living in Greenhithe
Cyril Cox - Workshop and Workshop Technology Sadly passed on - an Ahrnem Veteran
Peter Engledew - Ran a travel business on the side and organised a weekend trip to the Wieze Oktoberfest - Wednesday before I could speak!!

Phase III at South Shields

Bruce Raisbeck - Naval Architecture
Geoff Ralph - Power Plant - passed on a few years ago
Stan? Byres - Electrics
George Elsom - Heat (Labour County Councillor)
George Sowerby Mechanics and Heat Passed on a couple of years ago

Tickets at South Shields

Albert Abernethy - Motor
Ivan Zobel - Naval Architecture
? Butler

If I think of any more I will add them, all the lecturers gave me an abiding interest in their subjects and were always ready to answer questions

doddy
30th January 2009, 17:50
Anyone remember George Saltrese ( E/Ks ) or Commander Kenworthy Neale (Heat Engines ) George Harwood ( Math ) Others are clear in my mind but I cannot put a name Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Derek

Was Ken Drysdale (materials technology) there at that time ?

doddy

chadburn
30th January 2009, 19:45
finetune, I think the chap with the surname Butler at South Shields (Ticket's) had the first name of David he was also at one time the Lloyd's man in Italy.

cymruman
31st January 2009, 11:29
Pete Durham at Llandaff, McCrumb for electrics at Springburn, Patterson at Springburn, Donaldson at Springburn, Felix Crossland, Bryn (The skin) Thomas and Eirof Jones at Swansea are the ones that spring to mind. Thanks for all your help in getting those tickets.

Captain America
2nd February 2009, 23:28
Elecro Tech was a mister Endbinder . The grey cells are kicking in again . Derek

I remember Mr Endbinder very well, we had him for Electrotechnology second year of phase 1. I remember him walking around the Riversdale campus, all 4' 10" of him, shiny bald pate, with a fag hanging out of his mouth and carrying his violin case. He looked for all the world like a boffin that should have been working on the Manhattan project.

He once said to our class that it was so easy for electricity to produce heat, if only you could find a way to convert heat into electricity, you'd be the richest man in the world. He always had a whistful look in his eye when he said this. Funny really becuase 32 years on current research makes this a real possibility.

We also had a guy who took us for Mechanical Engineering Science (can't remember his name, black hair & balding, late fifties in '77) who was always talking about inventing an anti-gravity machine involving rotating magnets.

ReeferEng
20th February 2009, 20:53
Without a doubt, the best lecturer whilst I was at Southampton was Val Parsons - who somehow managed to get me through Thermofluids with ease, and made it interesting.

Derek Roger
20th February 2009, 20:59
Was Ken Drysdale (materials technology) there at that time ?

doddy

Dont rmember that name Doddy . Cheers Derek

oglebilluk
21st February 2009, 09:37
I remember Ken Drysdale very well and think he left as I completed the Riversdale course in 1957. Also a vague recollection that he went to a new college in Singapore

Bill

doddy
23rd February 2009, 16:34
I remember Ken Drysdale very well and think he left as I completed the Riversdale course in 1957. Also a vague recollection that he went to a new college in Singapore

Bill

I was at Riversdale from 1954 to 1956 with Elder Dempster Lines.

Now retired but still sailing. have a Coaster 33 Ketch in N Wales.

Best wishes

Doddy

DaveO
24th February 2009, 16:22
Without a doubt, the best lecturer whilst I was at Southampton was Val Parsons - who somehow managed to get me through Thermofluids with ease, and made it interesting.

I was at Argyle Road Southampton from Sep 75 to June 77 (BP Engineering Cadet) and remember Val Parsons very well. He got me through Mechanics with a distinction. He built a ship testing tank in the old outside toilets and used Airfix models of HMS Hood and the Bismark to measure hull efficiency etc. He reckoned he got better results from his home made tank that they did in the main college with their super duper tank. I believe him. He was a Geordie and spoke very fast and was full of enthusiasm.
The other guy I remeber at Argyle Road was the Maths lecturer who used to drive a Mini, wear green suits and was a bit of a tea pot. He used to challenge us to do a calculation with our new fangled calculators quicker than he could do the same calculation with log tables. He usually won.
Had a good 2 years. Went to South Shields for Phase Three.

john g
24th February 2009, 19:40
Birkenhead Tech in mid 60's had a few characters. Gilbert Moyes (who was actually a noted bod at Cammell Laird before he took over the marine section at the college) Jack Clack ..heat engines Pedro ....workshop tech Eric Knowles ...tech drawing the name of the electrical guy with the "bulging eyes" escapes me but he was known as "Ampere Turns" Harry Bolton ..welding
Tom Corris ...sheetmetal and welding Ted Rogers...workshop a huge guy called Shubert ( k a bonehead ) maths......anyone remember any others ?

THEDOC
24th February 2009, 20:19
In 65 we had a liberal studies lecturer at S Shields. Used to get him last period on monday afternoons in Beach Rd annexe, miserable little tw*t jobsworth would not let us out five minutes early to catch the bus. He was always puzzled when all the fuses blew when he walked in and switched on the lights, (sixpence piece used to fit nicely in lampholder). He used to drive a three wheeled plastic pig which he found parked on the pavement one night (12" kerb at this end of the street, he got nicked by the police driving on the pavement, to get off at the shallow end about 400yards along the street. Still cannot remember his name tho ....strange?

ReeferEng
27th February 2009, 21:51
I was at Argyle Road Southampton from Sep 75 to June 77 (BP Engineering Cadet) and remember Val Parsons very well. He got me through Mechanics with a distinction. He built a ship testing tank in the old outside toilets and used Airfix models of HMS Hood and the Bismark to measure hull efficiency etc. He reckoned he got better results from his home made tank that they did in the main college with their super duper tank. I believe him. He was a Geordie and spoke very fast and was full of enthusiasm.
The other guy I remeber at Argyle Road was the Maths lecturer who used to drive a Mini, wear green suits and was a bit of a tea pot. He used to challenge us to do a calculation with our new fangled calculators quicker than he could do the same calculation with log tables. He usually won.
Had a good 2 years. Went to South Shields for Phase Three.

That would have been Bill Norris - was the assistant warden at Townhill Park House as well.

Ian J. Huckin
23rd March 2009, 05:15
Knocker Norris....what a character. I seem to remember after some session down town one night lifting his mini up on blocks. On another occasion bounced it around so that the drivers side door (the only one unlocked) was against a wall. He loved itit, he was truly proud of his "lads" though he never let on. Val Parsons started when I was in my third year...he was good, especially as he was younf. Campbell was my favorite. These men were Gods and it wasnt until you had a few years under your belt you realized how frustrated they must have been to lecture at college.

What was the name of that Geordie hard nut that took us for "overhauls" Had a red headed side kick???? I was thrown out from one session because my "boily" was pink....washed it with some red socks or something!!! Was also thrown out for wearing my boily inside out becasue it was not dobied in time.

Happy days....

Ian

Weechief
24th April 2009, 10:52
For people who attended GCNS starting on 25th August 1972.

Mr Alister Barclay is still about, no more teaching he mainly plays golf and sometimes see him down in Millport.
Sandy Smith is still about, I think he must be in his 80's, if had not been for Sandy Smith the British Merchant Navy would have a few less chief engineers today.
Alex

Blackal
27th April 2009, 20:15
For people who attended GCNS starting on 25th August 1972.

Mr Alister Barclay is still about, no more teaching he mainly plays golf and sometimes see him down in Millport.
Sandy Smith is still about, I think he must be in his 80's, if had not been for Sandy Smith the British Merchant Navy would have a few less chief engineers today.
Alex

I remember Alistair Barclay, and who could forget Sandy Smith. (Thumb)

xdenholm
3rd July 2009, 11:22
gcns naval arc teacher was riddel use to start the lessons from away down the corridor and when he came into the room sayed did you get that and moving on sadly died of cancer a few years back, though logan still teachers there and sandy well hes still about usually at the pension meetings hes 80+ wullie muir became head of the tec block then alan bothwell took over from him elliot died a great QPR fan, though pattersons still going strong he had a saab and also a citireon 2cv,way back in the 70,s(Thumb)

Blackal
3rd July 2009, 11:51
gcns naval arc teacher was riddel use to start the lessons from away down the corridor and when he came into the room sayed did you get that and moving on sadly died of cancer a few years back, though logan still teachers there and sandy well hes still about usually at the pension meetings hes 80+ wullie muir became head of the tec block then alan bothwell took over from him elliot died a great QPR fan, though pattersons still going strong he had a saab and also a citireon 2cv,way back in the 70,s(Thumb)

I don't remember the name Riddel, but do remember "Alan Bolwell".

Dougie Patterson - I wonder if he has lost his voice yet?

There were some great lecturers in that college, with absolute dedication.

Al

xdenholm
5th July 2009, 08:46
I don't remember the name Riddel, but do remember "Alan Bolwell".

Dougie Patterson - I wonder if he has lost his voice yet?

There were some great lecturers in that college, with absolute dedication.

Al

it was fraser that done applied heat for phase 3 , hes gone also afraid , he was a great character!! a true steam man if ever.... always think of fred flintstone/barny rubble when i picture him(Thumb) .

Long gone
5th July 2009, 11:42

JR (Ray) Williams - Marine Engineering Practise - "Daddy" as he was a father figure to us phase I cadets sadly passed on about 10 years ago
John Kannard? - Maths
Cyril Cox - Workshop and Workshop Technology Sadly passed on - an Ahrnem Veteran
Peter Engledew - Ran a travel business on the side and organised a weekend trip to the Wieze Oktoberfest - Wednesday before I could speak!!

Stan? Byres - Electrics

Tickets at South Shields

Albert Abernethy - Motor
? Butler

If I think of any more I will add them, all the lecturers gave me an abiding interest in their subjects and were always ready to answer questions

At South Shields: Stan Buyers. Albert Abernethy did phase 3 EKs for me

thedon59
5th July 2009, 20:46
Spot on with Sandy Smith. would come across as an ogre when you were in phase 1. However, I was sat with him in the GCNS canteen a few years later when doing my 4th's ticket. By that point CGNS was doing secreterial courses, and other non sea faring stuff. Sandy looked round the canteen, and commented sadly that we were the only 2 guys in a nearly packed canteen that had ever been at sea.

Alan 'If you do what I tell you, you will get 85% in your exams' Bolwell. there's a name I haven't heard in many years. A really nice guy. He once made the 85% qoute to my class when we were in phase 1. Some bright spark stuck his hand up and said 'If we do what you tell us surely we will get 100%!' For once Alan was stuck for words

Were you in the '76 intake by any chance and one of the inhabitants of the notorious Ground Floor West in the college accomodation?

Irvingman
5th July 2009, 22:06
GCNS
There was a Mr Scott taught Chemistry in Phase I in 1973 - used to throw the blackboard rubber at me when I fell asleep, and a really untidy character whose name escapes me taught physics - beard, thinning hair but long and blowing in the wind, cloths in need of a good iron!!
General Studies Mr Abercrombie and another lecturer with only one hand. I also recall a "very old" lecturer taught thermo - not Alec Bolwell - but can't remember his name.
Can't remember the name of Sandie Smiths deputy - from Stornaway I believe nor can I remember the names or faces of the Maths or Electrotech lecturers.

Can't really remember a lot can I..................but I can remember the legs of the girls in the office ![=P]

excadet
6th July 2009, 00:31
At Southampton college

Workshops - Payne, Calahan, Daish.

Thremo - Parsons

Electro - Barkham

others - McMurray, Smith, Seddon, H lloyd , D lloyd

TPH - Bill Norris , Ralph Coney

CONDOR
6th July 2009, 04:01
Let's not forget Maine Maritime Academy, Castine, Maine,USA. Excelleent Marine Engineering Instructors. A 1958 graduate. CONDOR

xdenholm
6th July 2009, 09:01
GCNS
There was a Mr Scott taught Chemistry in Phase I in 1973 - used to throw the blackboard rubber at me when I fell asleep, and a really untidy character whose name escapes me taught physics - beard, thinning hair but long and blowing in the wind, cloths in need of a good iron!!
General Studies Mr Abercrombie and another lecturer with only one hand. I also recall a "very old" lecturer taught thermo - not Alec Bolwell - but can't remember his name.
Can't remember the name of Sandie Smiths deputy - from Stornaway I believe nor can I remember the names or faces of the Maths or Electrotech lecturers.

Can't really remember a lot can I..................but I can remember the legs of the girls in the office ![=P]

sandy smiths deputy was david duff or duffy before alan bolwell, i remember the hostel warden ,robin had a run in with sandy one time .....so sandy sent him packing...he was out. the applied mechanics was mr small, dont remember doing chemistry as part of the science it was phisics and everything to do with light, refractive index etc,which was never much good as part the the course its was dropped years later.kerr done the control engineering.(Thumb) everything was hand written never any handout sheets all the time we done it.Mather done workshop theory a very quiet spoken man, and his opposite Mcilraith whom done m.e.p and the phase 3 workshop.(Thumb) mccann done maths(Thumb)

Duncan112
6th July 2009, 20:26
sandy smiths deputy was david duff or duffy before alan bolwell, i remember the hostel warden ,robin had a run in with sandy one time .....so sandy sent him packing...he was out. the applied mechanics was mr small, dont remember doing chemistry as part of the science it was phisics and everything to do with light, refractive index etc,which was never much good as part the the course its was dropped years later.kerr done the control engineering.(Thumb) everything was hand written never any handout sheets all the time we done it.Mather done workshop theory a very quiet spoken man, and his opposite Mcilraith whom done m.e.p and the phase 3 workshop.(Thumb) mccann done maths(Thumb)

Sandy Small taught me whilst I was doing my ECpartII examinations at GCNS in 1999 - 2000 a genius, he could teach Mechanics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Mathematics to the same high standard (MEng level). His father was Professor of Thermodynamics at Glasgow University. I assume he will have retired by now?

Duncan

xdenholm
4th August 2009, 09:36
Sandy Small taught me whilst I was doing my ECpartII examinations at GCNS in 1999 - 2000 a genius, he could teach Mechanics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Mathematics to the same high standard (MEng level). His father was Professor of Thermodynamics at Glasgow University. I assume he will have retired by now?

Duncan

gcns is due from closure next year 2010, seems stow win in the end, though its the metro college taking over so the say, so log your memories now(Thumb)

sidsal
4th August 2009, 16:04
On HMS Conway during the war there was a dear chap - Charlie Nicholls who lectured us on engineering and ship construction. He was there having been torpedoed and suffered and this post was a recuperation.
He had a lovely soft voice and was a Scouser. We cadets used to tease him like this -
He would point at the blackboard and say -" That's the intercostal"
Cadets would say - " Where" ( pronounced Whurr )
Charlie would point and say - "Thurr "
Again cadets would say - "Whurr ?"
And again Charlie would say louder - "Thurr " !!
God rest his Soul !

Blackal
9th August 2009, 17:44

Duncan

Sandy Small - was he affectionately known as "Wee Eck" ? (short for "wee X", as he always referred to "Big X" and "Wee X" )

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Al (Thumb)

Norm
10th September 2009, 05:05
Stow College Glasgow. The late Bill Muir. Taught candidates for the 2nd class eng back in the 1960's. He lived in Stra'ven. He died several years back, but his wife Amy died only about 3 years ago.

DavidSankson
11th September 2009, 20:48
Knocker Norris....what a character. I seem to remember after some session down town one night lifting his mini up on blocks. On another occasion bounced it around so that the drivers side door (the only one unlocked) was against a wall. He loved itit, he was truly proud of his "lads" though he never let on. Val Parsons started when I was in my third year...he was good, especially as he was younf. Campbell was my favorite. These men were Gods and it wasnt until you had a few years under your belt you realized how frustrated they must have been to lecture at college.

What was the name of that Geordie hard nut that took us for "overhauls" Had a red headed side kick???? I was thrown out from one session because my "boily" was pink....washed it with some red socks or something!!! Was also thrown out for wearing my boily inside out becasue it was not dobied in time.

Happy days....

Ian

I was at Southampton 64/66/68 and remember Norris and his Cooper s mini, got stopped by the police in the new Forest for alleged speeding, when the policeman commented that it looked like a fast car, probably do 50, he was indignant and told them he was doing a ton. Got disqualified.
Mad as a hatter, but greatly respected.
It's only when you leave that you fully appreciate all they taught us
David

whitterd
14th September 2009, 15:15
Diggle was indeed Blue Funnel. Understand he still sports his yachty type hat and cycles everywhere around West Kirby. Eric Knowles, Chairman of NW IMarEST is not keeping the best of health but still active.

I was at Liverpool Poly in the late seventies I think Eric Knowles moved there from Riverside. Also does anyone remember the Mechanics Lecturer and sometimes EKís chap that sported a huge beard? Seemed a bit OTT at first but once you got to know him was great. Didnít Mr Diggle sport a gravity defying wax moustache, he also had a very avant-garde way of dressing?

Regards
Whitterd

Baz1uk
14th September 2009, 17:32
I think Alan White was the App Mechanics Lecturer at Liverpool Poly in late 70's.Eric Knowles and Diggle were also there,along with Joe Watson.

fahrwud
29th September 2009, 00:07
I didn't make it through phase 1....wanted to go to sea instead. Sandy Smith came across just like everyone says,a real barker, but when he had his little chat with me in the engineering shop (my favourite place) he gave me all kinds of info on going to sea.
Other names I can't remember, like Fred and Barney....(Fred lectured Thermodynamics.) And the engineering shop head who said, when confronted with the sole member of our bunch who showed up in a nylon boiler suit, "Are you aware, Mr. ------, that when a nylon boiler suit gets wet, it bears a striking resemblance to a used french letter?"

Dave Walker
Ben Line cadet
Hemitrochus fireman
RFA Tidespring fireman
Benhiant (aka The Black Pig) donkeyman
Frankcliffe Hall oiler (Great Lakes)

billwoodwardart
29th November 2011, 07:35
I remember the terrific sense of humour of Herr Heberhalle in Poplar, 1977 and George Sowerby at S/Shields in 1979 but George Elsom hated my guts...no sense of humour, of course.
Bill

Steve
8th December 2011, 10:39
I came across your site as it refered to my father Gordon Kenworthy-Neale (riversdale tec ) and thought that some of his ex students might be interested to know that he died in Tasmania 2009. If anyone has photos of him I would be grateful for copies as I have very few. Maggie Kenworthy-Neale

PM admin if you would like her address.

Burntisland Ship Yard
8th December 2011, 19:55
As we all happy days, even though I did phase 1 at Highbury (Cosham near pompey, NOT where I thought it was !). There was still a few memorable charachters, that were our lecturers...
But, I have to say that my best memories were at GCNS, whilst doing phase 3 and my tickets.....

Any one know of any future re-unions?

New Haven Neil
12th December 2011, 20:32
How about a few from Riversdale in the 70's?

Arnie Kirkbride - jughead - could hardly see, poor bloke, but he was a character, Joe Kenny - Scouse trough and through - both electrotech.

Nobby Christian, Harry Scott (shared the same birthday - which meant I got caught taking a sickie after a skinfull!(Pint)) in powerplant.

Joe Davis - the man who finally managed to teach me to understand maths properly. I owed him a lot. Man more whose faces I recall, but not the names.

makko
12th December 2011, 22:18
Hi Neil,
I remember Joe Kenny & Nobby Christian from Phase III. I too am the same, faces but no names! The only other name I can remember offhand was a lecturer by the name of Dandy.
Rgds.
Dave

New Haven Neil
12th December 2011, 22:42
Was he the one with the awful wig? We used to try and flip it off in the workshop! It's OK, I've grown up now...mostly.

makko
12th December 2011, 23:11
Yes, he was the wig man.
Rgds.
Dave

New Haven Neil
13th December 2011, 21:14
Thought so! I can see a lot of the other faces, but names to match won't come.

andyp1
13th December 2011, 22:22
You mean Bill Dandy? Took us for Phase 3 Workshops and some MEP, and agree the wig was dreadful, a real "syrup"!
Joe Kenny- electrotech - used to warn us against the perils of chasing nurses & other totty in the Swan pub & Cabin -"meal tickets for life lads, that's all you are" was his mantra- as he reckoned they all wanted to marry MN Officers and spend all their days at sea bronzying.

makko
13th December 2011, 22:54
What is that gurgling sound - To Makko in Mexico it sounds like "Glug, Glug!"
Could it be?
Rgds.
Dave

andyp1
14th December 2011, 08:24
Sounds like a pint of something disappearing at a vast rate of knots in the Swan in Wood St

New Haven Neil
14th December 2011, 21:01
Bill Dandy, must be him! It was an AWFUL wig, yes!

We loved Joe Kenny, he always had us laughing sometimes with him, sometime at him - got me through electro-tech with 96% and a distinction though!

I did waste some time interfereing with Nurses though, but married a farm girl!

Glug glug in the Kingsman!! Then later the Waldeck in Wavertree where our digs were.

makko
14th December 2011, 21:21
Nice to see my good friend AndyP1 has appeared! I have refound a lot of people via SN. Yeah BD was larger than life. Who was the workshop lecturer with the Morris Minor? Joe Kenny was good at elctrotech, although I haven't a head for electrics and had to resit. I got high 90's too but was limited to a simple pass. Also, in mechanics we did not study hydraulics ("never comes up!"). Needless to say, the whole group had to resit. I often wonder what became of my account in the Midland Bank at the top of Mersey Road - I had a lucrative sideline selling Mexican handicrafts which I brought back from my leaves!
Rgds.
Dave

andyp1
15th December 2011, 13:07
God knows how any of us passed a single thing in between the important things in life:
playing rugby
helping Dom Pisani with the fishing boat
even more rugby
watching "Apocalypse Now" at a certain cinema a la makko
extra rugby on sundays with chris white
chasing totty in the Cabin
Playing rugby
keeping the barman busy in the swan
legging it from the Royal Infirmary Nurses Home to get to lectures on time
keeping the local offy goinfg with purchases of draught rum & can of coke
Winding up Bill Dandy & makko in lectures
calling snoopy mcphereson in lectures and ducking when he turned his head

Irvingman
15th December 2011, 21:30
Recent discussions in the UK press about examiners giving "Hints" about exam paper content to teachers reminded me of an incident in a certain College of Nautical Studies on the banks of the river Clyde which I suppose should remain nameless. (Scribe)

The college ran two Phase III courses six months apart - so one had exams in June and the other lot had exams in December.

Late November a well intentioned mechanics lecturer sat the class down and in hushed tones suggested in great detail what topics should be revised and what topics could be safely forgotton about for the exam in a couple of weeks time.

Safe in the knowledge that the exam was now "in the bag" the students did what all students did when armed with such information, went on the piss and left all the revision until the night before.(Pint)(Pint)

Unfortunately when the exam paper was opened on the day of the exam the questions bore no resembelence to those crammed the night before.

Our dear friend the mechanics lecturer had "hinted at" the questions for the JUNE paper.:(

Ghost
21st December 2011, 02:23
Pat Callaghan was the geordie "hard nut" reffered to, 2nd year workshops, Southampton and Warsash. Engineer's arms was his hang out, where we played together on the darts team.
Seddon was head of phase 1, when I returned for phase 3 he suspended me on day 1.

Ghost

DaveM399
21st December 2011, 10:19
Just found this thread and it's jogging a few distant memories.

I went to GCNS in Feb '74 when they had just finished building the workshop block. The deadline for completion must have been tight as one of lads leant against a door frame during the showaround and got wet paint all down the side of his coat! Some of the names that I remember were Willie Muir, Dougie Patterson (electro tech seemed to be one big Scotland versus England slanging match!), Mr Small and Mr Riddel.

This was at the time of the streaking craze and there had been a few instances in England but none north of the border. We managed to convince one of the lads to streak across the bridge over the Clyde and be the first streaker in Scotland. We agreed that if caught, we would all chip in and pay his fine. One of the lads drove alongside him and another took photos which we took to the Daily Record who printed them in the paper the next day. He didn't get caught, but wasn't the first as another guy had streaked elsewhere in Scotland a day earlier. It's a good job he didn't get caught as the fines imposed in Scotland were higher than in England and much more than we had anticipated!

DaveM399
21st December 2011, 10:33
A few more memories, this time from Phase 1 at Poplar Tech (1971-73).

The head of Marine Engineering was a Mr Girling, not that popular from what I recollect.

Our Thermodynamics lecturer was Mr Shephard, father of Gerry Shephard of the Glitter band. He used to start the Monday morning lesson talking about all the "weirdos" his son had brought home that weekend.

I think the Maths lecturer was a Mr Groves, blonde hair and bushy beard. One day he shaved the beard and had a haircut and looked completely different. He told us that he occassionally shaved / had a haircut and them would pickup ex-girlfirends, pretending to be his twin brother. He would then see if he could get the girls to tell him what they thought of his "brother". He seemed to have quite a dry sense of humour as well in class.

david freeman
21st December 2011, 17:41
Shields marine tech was a fair place, Morson Mechanics, and Mc Dermont hydraulics, and then some more on the Phase 2 BP Course.

Irvingman
21st December 2011, 23:56
[QUOTE=DaveM399;560240]
..........This was at the time of the streaking craze and there had been a few instances in England but none north of the border. We managed to convince one of the lads to streak across the bridge over the Clyde and be the first streaker in Scotland. We agreed that if caught, we would all chip in and pay his fine. One of the lads drove alongside him and another took photos which we took to the Daily Record who printed them in the paper the next day. QUOTE]

Hi Dave

I was in Phase 1 (Eng) and watched this from the fourth floor windows - word had spread of the performance!
Rumour had it that he was only going to streak accross the bridge but the "support vehicle" was caught by the traffic lights and he had to carry on and do the full circle around the next bridge up and back to the college. (*))

John

bonzodog
14th February 2012, 01:26
Hi - Pete Durham - great bloke whose success rate for ticket passes probably highest in country. DoT thought he was in collusion with those based in Bute & sent down oral examiners from other parts - anyone know if he is DoA

john g
14th February 2012, 15:12
Birkenhead had an older gent for Heat who managed to make things simple and easily understood -name ???? Sory
Also remember a Elec-Power guy - ex boxer - huge forehead no hair and bulging eyes who made things absolutely as hard as possible. Tripped over his own desk legs one day - constantly looking and talking at the ceiling instead of us poor plebs - and he then proceeded to throw a complete strop throwing the chair and wastebin out the front window ?? 3 floors up. Lessons over for the day and retire to Rock ferry Arms for a few darts and some lager lube.
Rgds
Uisdean Mor
The guys name was Roberts , known as "ampere turns" a total eccentric ,years ago but never forgotten.

stonkingjohn
17th February 2012, 00:10
A few more memories, this time from Phase 1 at Poplar Tech (1971-73).

The head of Marine Engineering was a Mr Girling, not that popular from what I recollect.

Our Thermodynamics lecturer was Mr Shephard, father of Gerry Shephard of the Glitter band. He used to start the Monday morning lesson talking about all the "weirdos" his son had brought home that weekend.

I think the Maths lecturer was a Mr Groves, blonde hair and bushy beard. One day he shaved the beard and had a haircut and looked completely different. He told us that he occassionally shaved / had a haircut and them would pickup ex-girlfirends, pretending to be his twin brother. He would then see if he could get the girls to tell him what they thought of his "brother". He seemed to have quite a dry sense of humour as well in class.

Hi Dave,

I remember Mr Girling as Department Head; he provided me with good references when I left before the end of Phase 3, which enabled me to progress onto an HNC course shoreside.

The other names that come to mind are Messrs Lomax (Heat); Mallia, a Maltese guy who rolled his 'r's (Electrics) and Rathbone (Workshop Tech). Can't recall the names of the mechanics lecturer who worked on the WW2 Stirling bomber or the guy who did General Studies and drove the Morris Traveller.

bri445
20th February 2012, 20:59
The guys name was Roberts , known as "ampere turns" a total eccentric ,years ago but never forgotten.

That must be the same George Roberts who got me through O.N.C. Electrical at the OLD Tech College/Institute in Leighton Road, Tranmere in the early '50s. Best lecturer ever, kept it simple but worked at a fast pace, human, and a sense of humour. Eccentric?
I'm glad he's remembered.
Never got me to sea, alas!
Bri

uisdean mor
21st February 2012, 19:34
That must be the same George Roberts who got me through O.N.C. Electrical at the OLD Tech College/Institute in Leighton Road, Tranmere in the early '50s. Best lecturer ever, kept it simple but worked at a fast pace, human, and a sense of humour. Eccentric?
I'm glad he's remembered.
Never got me to sea, alas!
Bri

Maybe severaleen years of lecturing to mechanically minded oily whelps had cracked his professional polish. Certainly spent as little time talking to us as talking at and over us. He was good on the high powered stuff but he did drift a bit with the low level stuff.
Rgds
H

bri445
21st February 2012, 20:41
Now you mention it, I agree with the 'talking over us' technique, but being an electrically-minded whelp, straight out of school, I was easily impressed!
Bri

jamesgpobog
21st February 2012, 20:51
This is not exactly spot on the original post, but it is close.

There was a Senior Chief (E-8 paygrade) on my ship named John Gobbo. This guy scared the holy hell out of me and most other sailors on the ship. He had been in the Navy well over 20 years and had served in WWII when very young. He was almost cartoonish in his manner, his voice was like 10 miles of gravel road, the khaki uniforms he wore at sea were almost faded to white, and the brass fouled anchor chief's insignia on his cap was completely green from verdigris. His vocabulary was also one of the most colorful I had ever heard. I think percentage wise, any given sentence had more curse words than legitimate ones. The "F" word was close to being worn out by this man alone.

I did not witness this, because he was a Bo'sun, but it occurred while I was on board. He had assembled some of his men to give them a lecture about the proper use and maintenance of a watertight door. It was not a long lecture, probably only 3 or 4 minutes, but one of the guys counted how many times he said 'f**k' or a derivative thereof. If I remember correctly, it was in the 60's or 70's. He actually was a bit of a somewhat-known legend in the Navy.

In 2005 I had the opportunity to talk with him at a reunion. He was near 80 and not in real good health, but it was a great pleasure and honor to talk to him. I was very surprised to find that he in fact had a perfectly normal voice and mild demeanor, that whole 'Popeye' thing was an act...

Piccy of BMSC John G. Gobbo, USN (http://api.ning.com/files/rnVTspgmwQJXHwVsHW1d7Sl5lQaewH8Q9mpLipfX46oWSWtdNQ qvv69BfXZsiH47ZmLqQk3rshuEWoVFE1Lu2JFSQJ8xjhqS/JohnGobbo.jpg)

Big Budgie
30th March 2012, 16:42
Back to Argyle Road, Southampton where I was a Blue Star Cadet during Phase 1, '71/'73 and Phase 3, '75/'76. I recall Alan Seddon as the Head guy with Bill (Knocker) Norris as his 2 I/C. I remember that he smoked utterly disgusting smelling cigars all the time! Val Parsons (again) and I don't think anyone has mentioned Keith Hazzard or Bob? Gibson. (Bangla) Daish (Can't recall his first name) and a bloke called Mercer down at the Heavy Workshop in St Mary Street. Smoked an absolutely Minging pipe! I met Alan Seddon again about '88 or '89 when his son came to Shetland to work for BP. Anybody else remember old "Mac" who was the storeman in the Heavy shop?
Also, What about Neil (Tonka) Toye? Liberal studies, whatever the H**l that was!
Happy Days!
Colin Hunter

Ian Dickinson
3rd April 2012, 20:49
Bill Gibbons at South Shields. Apart from being a lecturer had the job of looking after P&O Cadets.

Tony Morris
4th April 2012, 08:20
Bill Gibbons at South Shields. Apart from being a lecturer had the job of looking after P&O Cadets.

2D2 1972 - 1973 I was one of the odds & sods who were not with P&O. Coming from 1D5 where class lecturer was Ernie Glenwright.

john g
11th April 2012, 14:33
Jack Clack, heat engines, at Birkenhead Tech mid 60's .......gentlemen pay attention this is your bread and butter, and the naval architect guy with the test tank at Riversdale.......be careful not to sink the test hulls lads. Mr Spark ?

chadburn
11th April 2012, 17:26
As the Co. Durham Ambulance man said to the patient, "it may be sickness and diarrhoea to you but it's our bread and butter" when rushing the poor fellow to Hospital.

jimmyjenk
13th April 2012, 10:30
George Louden from Airdrie, the Electrotech lecturer at GCNS told us a great story from a previous end of Phase 1 drinks do.
One inebriated cadet was sitting next to Sandy Smith and said "Sandy, you're a bastard, you're all right, but you're a bastard."
After an uncomfortable silence, and a sheepish look on his face, " I've just realised what I've just said. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called you Sandy, Mr Smith".
Sandy was a diamond, and I hope this story was true.

rodfair
21st April 2012, 00:11

Regards Derek

George Harwood was there in 69-72 when I was there. I will always remember...still have the note in the attic, how he demonstrated, using accepted math conventions, that one was equal to zero.
There was a phase 3 student Dave McBratney, that was a singer. He made this song up.."Come Paris and London and Kenworthy-Neale,
And tell me the length of a metric ships keel,
If you don't know or admit that the danger is real
The times they are a changing"
There was also an electrical lecturer Alan??? during the vacation training used to let us swim in the testing tank.
Shawcross was the dept Head when I was there, Lever the Principal.

david freeman
21st April 2012, 09:20
At Shields in the Xtra's class was the Heat engines lecturer (Name escapes me a pleasant chap from Pamatra-In his early days: Then there was mechanics Morton? Hydrdrualics he went on to become the NE President of the Institute, and Electrics By-again memory deceives me. A great course and great men. Do not forget the Naval Arch Man who wrote and authored REEDS books 1 & 2 on Naval Arch. Names escape again but memories are sweet. It was a lot of hard work. for Part A & B. Dream on boy dream on, I am talking late 70's.

romney01
6th May 2012, 10:46
I did my HND at East Park Terrace in Southampton. Great memmories of Ken Cox, Neil Toye, Roger Keyes, CharlieFord, Dr. Hawksley, Capt. Humphries and others.

Tim-Lad
16th May 2012, 12:10
I remember the terrific sense of humour of Herr Heberhalle in Poplar, 1977 and George Sowerby at S/Shields in 1979 but George Elsom hated my guts...no sense of humour, of course.
Bill

Mr Munday - works of art in illustration of crossheads and thrust bearings.. then an amazing anecdote or two followed by the thousand yard stare as he recalled an old friend with the phrase "He's dead now, poor bastard".

stoker
17th May 2012, 18:40
I did my Chiefs Steam endorsement in S. Shields in 69, before the exam word went around that some old Examiner was brought out of retirement for a few weeks, and that he was sure to ask about steam recips. in the orals, even if you had answered that question in the written paper which was optional by that time. Even though I had sailed on a Steam recip. job to be questioned about it was the last thing I wanted. I was staying in Westo Towers and someone had made a cardboard model of the reversing gear and link motion from the lid of a shoe box.Also staying there was an Indian Engineer who was studying for an Extras, He stayed up 'till nearly 1am with me, until I felt I could answer questions on "linking in and linking out". I have been greatfull to the entire Indian nation ever since.
Next day I am off to Newcastle to take my orals, of course there was'nt a mention of recip. jobs. The Examiner was Mr. James another Indian, I still remember walking on air when I came out, at least it felt like I was.

Varley
18th May 2012, 00:11
[QUOTE=stoker;597110]I did my Chiefs Steam endorsement in S. Shields in 69,....

You were a wise man to listen to the lecturers, as I was not.

The easiest certain (T5) question, we were told, would be on transmission lines. Involving hyperbolic trigonometry (mathematically one up on any navigator types in copy). Let us say that I could have SINH'd had I heeded the advice and done a little revision. As it was I didn't even read that question, fortunately scraping through.

Macd
30th May 2012, 22:43
I did my Chiefs Steam endorsement in S. Shields in 69, before the exam word went around that some old Examiner was brought out of retirement for a few weeks, and that he was sure to ask about steam recips. in the orals, even if you had answered that question in the written paper which was optional by that time. Even though I had sailed on a Steam recip. job to be questioned about it was the last thing I wanted. I was staying in Westo Towers and someone had made a cardboard model of the reversing gear and link motion from the lid of a shoe box.Also staying there was an Indian Engineer who was studying for an Extras, He stayed up 'till nearly 1am with me, until I felt I could answer questions on "linking in and linking out". I have been greatfull to the entire Indian nation ever since.
Next day I am off to Newcastle to take my orals, of course there was'nt a mention of recip. jobs. The Examiner was Mr. James another Indian, I still remember walking on air when I came out, at least it felt like I was.

I did mine in 1970 and the old examiner was Mr Grant " Ye're up for a steam ticket laddie, no a turrrbine ticket!!" He struck fear into everyone, but fortunately didn't ask me anything about steam recip.

Scotch Boiler
24th June 2012, 11:09
James Watt College, Greenock, in the 50's. There was Mr MacEachern....a dry old stick, then there was Jimmy Rushton who got the attention of a class of teenage boys on the first day by telling them that there was a mathematical formula "the angle of dangle was equal to the heat in the meat". Naturally after that we paid attention to everything that he said.

MurrayS
5th July 2012, 12:43
New here - but has anyone mentioned Alan Stokoe - wrote Reeds Naval Arc books - a gentleman

ccurtis1
9th July 2012, 18:01
New here - but has anyone mentioned Alan Stokoe - wrote Reeds Naval Arc books - a gentleman

Agreed. I sometimes have a pint with his son in the "Fountain Inn" in South Shields. Mr Stokoe was the NA lecturer at South Shields College when I did 2nds and Chiefs.

chadburn
9th July 2012, 18:21
That name sound's familiar, another one was Butler. VTE experience was essential just in case as it was usually the Examiner's "era".

R58484956
10th July 2012, 11:10
Greetings MurrayS and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

NPHINN
30th July 2012, 17:44
George Elsom hated my guts...no sense of humour, of course.
Bill

I think George Elsom hated everyone's guts (especially mine - and the feeling was mutual)

TIM HUDSON
30th July 2012, 17:59
Agreed. I sometimes have a pint with his son in the "Fountain Inn" in South Shields. Mr Stokoe was the NA lecturer at South Shields College when I did 2nds and Chiefs.

Great bloke. He was highly amused at my Taiwan copy of his 'Reeds' book and I traded it for a new UK version. !
Rgds

SuperClive
7th August 2012, 17:47
Birkenhead Tech in mid 60's had a few characters. Gilbert Moyes (who was actually a noted bod at Cammell Laird before he took over the marine section at the college) Jack Clack ..heat engines Pedro ....workshop tech Eric Knowles ...tech drawing the name of the electrical guy with the "bulging eyes" escapes me but he was known as "Ampere Turns" Harry Bolton ..welding
Tom Corris ...sheetmetal and welding Ted Rogers...workshop a huge guy called Shubert ( k a bonehead ) maths......anyone remember any others ?

Birkenhead Tech in the late 60’s…

Ah yes, Ampere Turns, or Stargazer as used to think of him as. George Roberts, electro-tech. Amazing what he used to do in the heavy machines lab – if you’d wired your DC motor up and couldn’t get it to run he’d come along with finger and thumb outstretched and go along the live terminals at the back of the bench. ‘No, no, yeeees – you’ve got power there, no, yeeees!’ No wonder his eyes appeared to be out on stalks! (I believe he had thyroid problems). In class he would lecture us staring up at the ceiling. He had other odd traits and pet hates too. One day he had us drawing scale vectors of voltage and current and some of us were using plastic rulers – which in my case was the standard issue provided to us Blu Flu Cadets. He made us go out and buy boxwood rulers and bring them in to show him at 5pm each day for a week – which meant I missed my bus home and had to wait a further hour… On the other hand, if you showed interest, he could be incredibly kind and tolerant and would go the extra mile to show you something not on the curriculum but which would benefit you later on.

Others at Birkenhead Tech I remember well: Eric Knowles, heat engines. He introduced me to a lifelong membership of IMarEST and we became firm friends until his passing last year. There were many ex Cadets and other friends at his funeral – so many in fact that they overflowed out of the church door. When I came to do my Part B 2/E and Parts A & B Chief’s he had moved across the water to Liverpool Poly and continued to lecture me. Then 10 yrs after my Chief’s, I went back to the Poly to top up to a BEng and he was there again… Bless him.

Who was the other heat engines lecturer – older, portly, balding with glasses. NOT Jack Clack. Could be a bit fierce at times. Used to drive in from Liverpool in a caravanette if I remember correctly.

Dave Rogers in the workshops. He’s still around AND teaching in his 70’s at MECNW. I did some work with him at MECNW in Birkenhead when it was called the Laird Foundation 10 yrs ago. His lad, Makko, is on this forum.

Dave and John Kennedy used to demonstrate how us ‘marines’ would be dealt with if we committed a misdemeanour by arranging a stack of bricks or 4” x 2” timber across a gap and then proceeding to break them with a Karate chop… Can’t remember ‘Pedro’s’ real name in the fitting shop or the lecturers in the foundry and sheet metal shops.

John(?) Shaw – thermo – who used to arrive in the classroom probably 30mins before we arrived. We’d arrive to find the most intricate, coloured diagram drawn on the blackboard. Then at the end of the lecture he would simply wipe it off…

Mr Ireland – Engineering Drawing. Perfectionist of the old drawing office school. Very friendly and enthusiastic and guided you to do drawings you never thought you’d manage to any degree.

And of course the dreaded Head of Engineering, Gilbert Moyes. You never wanted to cross that gentleman. Periodically he’d produce an embalmed human scalp to remind you not to get near moving machinery… I know who it was that put sugar in his petrol tank one day; such was that person’s dislike of him after being stood in front of him for some misdemeanour. It was a Harrison Line Cadet…

What of Birkenhead Tech? It was knocked down about 6 years ago and is now a housing estate… There is a new college at Morpeth Dock and the previously mentioned MECNW at Monk’s Ferry but they haven’t the likes of the heat engines lab with the Marshall single cylinder and Sissons compound steam engines, National gas engine, various car engines and Rover gas turbine to play with. Happy days…

SuperClive
7th August 2012, 18:06
I was at Liverpool Poly in the late seventies I think Eric Knowles moved there from Riverside. Also does anyone remember the Mechanics Lecturer and sometimes EKís chap that sported a huge beard? Seemed a bit OTT at first but once you got to know him was great. Didnít Mr Diggle sport a gravity defying wax moustache, he also had a very avant-garde way of dressing?

Regards
Whitterd

Liverpool Poly early - mid 70's

Eric moved to the Poly from Birkenhead Tech... Alas he passed away last year. A good friend of mine and many, many others to the end.

Alan White with his huge beard! Never to be forgotten. More often trying to teach mechanics (dynamics). He'd totally confuse us (and himself sometimes). Later in the day we'd get John Dodgson for statics and usually would fly through that then ask him to go through all the dynamics with us. We THEN understood dynamics...

Who else at the Poly? Marc Falcus for EK's - excellent, good friend. Mike Diggle - an ex Blu Flu colleague from the Far East OCL Bay Boats - still going strong and still the waxed moustache and smoking a clay pipe... Likewise still a good friend through IMarEST.

Dr Jack (Schofield) - tribology. He with the prehensile forehead! Amazing guy. Learned so much from him. Frank ? with glasses and beard - electro tech. Another character who was still going strong last year. He's a Meccano buff - bought all the dies from Meccano in Binns Road when it went bankrupt - if you want some original Meccano pieces, get in touch with him.

jhl3w
4th September 2012, 23:25

I was a Shell Engineer Cadet 1959 to 1964 and studied for my seconds and chiefs, all at what was South Shields Marine and Technical College but has this year been re-named South Shields Marine School I'm pleased to say, although still part of South Tyneside College. I live in the town and my wife was Billy Embleton's secretary for while. He was vice priciple and Head of Marine and Mechanical Depts for some of the time I was there. The college had a cine club from about 1965 till 1980, we were members as where Bill Embleton, Alan Stokoe, Royden Whyte, Alan Johnson, Ron Hope and a few other lecturers and we had some great times making amateur films.
Many of the lecturers were prolific writers for the Reeds Practical Mathematics and other series of Marine Technical books and I thought they were all very good at their jobs. They must have been to get me through the exams.

Mike Hemmington
4th September 2012, 23:56
Had a great guy at Hull College of Technology. Dave Taylor, I think he was Head of Dept', Marine Engineering. He had his Combined Chiefs Cert at an early age. I was at night school at the college when Dave Taylor came into the class an anounced that President Kennedy had been assasinated, so I'll never forget that class.

Mike

SuperClive
11th October 2012, 23:23
Liverpool Poly early - mid 70's

> SNIP
Dr Jack (Schofield) - tribology. He with the prehensile forehead! Amazing guy. Learned so much from him. Frank ? with glasses and beard - electro tech. Another character who was still going strong last year. He's a Meccano buff - bought all the dies from Meccano in Binns Road when it went bankrupt - if you want some original Meccano pieces, get in touch with him.
>

Remembered, it is Frank SMITH. Still going strong I'm informed.

Alas, I've just found out that Dr Jack, or as he later was, Professor Jack Schofield died on 31 Jan 2009. An amazing lecturer that taught so many of us marine engineers so much about lubrication in an entertaining and informative way. Once shown, never forgotten. RIP Dr Jack.

makko
12th October 2012, 00:03
Had a great guy at Hull College of Technology. Dave Taylor, I think he was Head of Dept', Marine Engineering. He had his Combined Chiefs Cert at an early age. I was at night school at the college when Dave Taylor came into the class an anounced that President Kennedy had been assasinated, so I'll never forget that class.

Mike

I have "An Introduction to Marine Engineering" by D. A. Taylor, MSc, BSc, CEng, MIMarE, MIRNA sat on my bookshelf here in my office. It was given to us along with buttons, braid, ruler, compass etc. upon commencing our Cadetship with Ocean Fleets (Jan '80)It is a good little book with clear explanations on many topics and good ilustrations!

Regards,
Dave

Pingham
3rd November 2012, 10:40

I remember Bill Gibbons saying to me "How on earth did you end up coming here?" not because of my ineptitude but because of my Hartlepudlian accent. Away from home, but only 30 miles up the road.

Tim Gibbs
6th November 2012, 06:41
.... The Examiner was Mr. James another Indian, ......
He took me for Chief's about that time. He had a reputation for a VERY low passing rate so it was with some trepidation that I went in. However, it seems he was fascinated by engine smash-ups and as I had a lot of Doxford experience (mainly with 75LB6s) we had a lot to talk about and I passed - quite easily it seemed!

G0SLP
6th November 2012, 09:41
I think George Elsom hated everyone's guts (especially mine - and the feeling was mutual)

Looking back on that time, in my case from 1st year Cadet to doing Chiefs (1979-85), how much of that was an act? I've got recollections of several stories and events of that period, and not just of GE, but some are NOT for public forums, although many were bloody funny... (*))

He and his fellow lecturers were there to teach us, and that they did well. The methodology might have been, shall we say, 'different' on occasion (EEK) but it was effective...

FWIW, I met him in town one day, not long after I'd passed my Chief's - he was genuinely pleased for me, which meant a hell of a lot :)

wilwahabri
9th November 2012, 04:23
MEP lecturers Bill Munday (who looked and sounded like the actor that played Egg & Chips in the Dustbin men) and Peter Robinson. Bill did the best 3D sketches ever and regailed the class continually with stories.

Workshop practice Mr Heber-Hall

Naval Arch Mr Andrews (Julie)

Technical drawing - Mr Wesley Smith - Vietnamese and completely inscrutable

Applied Heat - John Satchwell

chris dalquen
9th November 2012, 09:28
How many BP Tanker Men remember Gerry Betts at Llandarcy on their Instrumentation Course? And what does a Capacitor Say? "Oh for a short accross my terminals" and what do the electrons do?

Yes i remember gerry he could make you yawn just listening to him back in the days when you wer allowed so many beers a day and if you stayed at cimla court over the weekend you got what was left out of the allowance free

seagem (Cornish)
26th March 2013, 22:19

Regards Derek

Yes.

George Harwood, a character with a spring like tension, would always take time to check the horses in anyone's convenient Mirror.

George Saltrese possessed an individual presence and frequently mentioned a piece of engineering where "I've done research into this". Initially, I took the Junior Transactions of the Institute of Marine Engineers, but later changed to the full Transactions. It was then that I discovered that his 'research' was in fact the reading of the paper in that issue of Transactions!

Gordon Kenworthy-Neale possessed a calm control of himself and all around, displayed particularly on the day of the full steam engine test and the collation of the results. I Googled recently his name and came up with:

<KENWORTHY-NEALE A.D.C. R.D.* R.N.R. Captain G. Nov 9, 2009, peacefully aged 85 years in Hobart, Tazmania, after a short illness.>

There seem to be sufficient coincidences for this to be him and the new rank is noted (he was Lt. Commander in my time in Riversdale).

I, too, have other nameless faces, except for Davy (or was it spelled Davie, or Davey) the Tech. Drawing guy. He seemed also to be in charge of the fell walking party on those weekends we went to The Lakes, Snowdonia or The Peak District. And was it Fred Laws who did the PT/swimming side of our time at Riversdale? He only discovered that I was 'Morcom' and not 'Cornish' on the final register at the end of 2 years!

Cheers,

Greg Morcom

MWD
27th March 2013, 19:46
Forgive me if I have missed it, but there seems to be no comment on the Southampton Marine Engineering School where I dis both Seconds and Chiefs. in the late 50's and early 60's

The only name I remember is Lockhead, whom I believe was the principle.

Anyone with memories of the other lecturers at that time? I recall lecturers who could really put the material across in a manner that enabled my few brain cells to assimilate.

MWD.

GeeM
28th March 2013, 15:51
Steve

I was an Engineer Cadet HND with Turnbull Scott at Poplar 79 through 83 and I believe you are referring to Steve Groves, we called Him Shady Groves or Shadrach Groves. Hell of a great guy, very proud of His Dolomite Sprint.

GeeM
28th March 2013, 16:11

John Kannard? - Maths

Stan? Byres - Electrics

Tickets at South Shields

Albert Abernethy - Motor
? Butler

I did my time HND at Poplar from 79 to 83 and I believe we were the last year before they all moved to Greenhithe. I remember AK Mitra whose voice use dto get very shrill when he was annoyed at something. Mr Heber Hall, best Workshop lecturer I ever had.

John Anderson, very softly spoken but very knowledgeable and could get it across even to me. I got my combined Chiefs and now live In the States, working as a class Surveyor. Hard to believe Its that long ago.

exsscadet
10th April 2013, 22:32
I did my time HND at Poplar from 79 to 83 and I believe we were the last year before they all moved to Greenhithe. I remember AK Mitra whose voice use dto get very shrill when he was annoyed at something. Mr Heber Hall, best Workshop lecturer I ever had.

John Anderson, very softly spoken but very knowledgeable and could get it across even to me. I got my combined Chiefs and now live In the States, working as a class Surveyor. Hard to believe Its that long ago.

John Heber-Hall used to give me a lift home at the weekends from Poplar to Greenhithe, as I used to live in Gravesend (someone had to!). He was a great workshop lecturer who i learnt a lot from. he was an ex-RAF apprentice and when I found myself without a job at the end of my cadetship I drifted into the RAF careers office. 2 weeks later I was a university cadet and entered into the engineering branch. I still look back at my time at sea and poplat with fondness.

clarkie59
22nd November 2013, 11:18
Yes i remember gerry he could make you yawn just listening to him back in the days when you wer allowed so many beers a day and if you stayed at cimla court over the weekend you got what was left out of the allowance free

Ah yes, the Cimla Court at the weekend and the Saturday night Disco and the very friendly Neath girls who had missed their last bus and couldn't get a taxi!

pandokerry
27th November 2013, 08:38

Mike

Wasn't he the wizard with chalk, he could do a draw a cross-section of a steam turbine, perfect in every detail in about 2 minutes?

makko
27th November 2013, 15:18
At Birkenhead Tech, Derek Burton was a whizz with the chalk cross sections and perspective/isometric views. To his credit it was not showboating as he encouraged us to better our sketches as they were very useful in explaining things.

Old Ron Williams also said the same thing - He was ex Anglo Pet - "Rememeber, a decent drawing is worth a thousand words!".

Rgds.
Dave

Ray Hartley
11th January 2014, 20:45
A lecturer who had been to sea could tell and teach and then take the tutorial in the Old English Gentleman Pub after class. Brilliant bloke.