Out standing ships 4 letter callsigns

Paul Baxter
15th November 2008, 06:28
Thanks to all that have threads relating to International call signs.

I have found a large amount of information on the weathership data base but not all vessles are weather reporting.

Can anyone advise where I could get on a web site the call signs for the following British Vessels

Autolycus sailed on it 1964
Lord Mount Stephen sailed on it 1971/1972
Silvermerlin coastal tanker sailed on it 1971
Port Hwakesbury sailed on it 1972

W.M.Neal sailed on it 1975 a new bulker last trip.

Many thanks for your hrs of Love

Paul Baxter

bert thompson
15th November 2008, 10:17
Sailed on Chelwood GSNT. Many years later I heard this call sign and often wondered what ship had inherited it. Wish I had listened in and got her name.
Bert.

K urgess
15th November 2008, 12:15
Lord Mount Stephen was ZCVO, Paul.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showpost.php?p=196202&postcount=103
Cheers
Kris

trotterdotpom
15th November 2008, 12:19
".....I have found a large amount of information on the weathership data base but not all vessles are weather reporting.

Can anyone advise where I could get on a web site the call signs for the following British Vessels

Autolycus sailed on it 1964....."

Fancy a Blue Flu ship not being a weather reporter - how un-public spirited!

John T.

BobClay
15th November 2008, 12:46
I sailed on the Port Hawkesbury (with Capt Jeremy Rind, the craziest and most enjoyable captain I ever sailed with), but can I hell as like remember the bloody callsign.

It's either a quantum fluctuation in my brain.... or I'm getting old.

Noddy-Billing
15th November 2008, 14:57
My first ship was a Dockyard and Coastal tug, HM Tug Freebooter. In those days, HM Tugs employed on Dockyard Duty were commanded by qualified Admiralty Pilots. I shall never forget Freebooter's callsign - GBPT (Great Britain's Pilot & Tug!). Funny how silly things stick in one's mind after 50 years!

Roger Bentley
15th November 2008, 15:18
According to LLoyds Register for 1974-75 the call sign was ZCDM.

I have various registers for period 1950-51, 1962-63, 1974-75 and 1977-78, plus list of coast and ship stations, glad to help out with any callsign requests.

BobClay
15th November 2008, 16:45
Well I didn't join CP Ships until 1976, but I have to say, ZCDM sounds right. (CP Bermuda'ed their ships for a while, then went back to the british flag for a while...... )

But I'm still not sure. I sailed on the Hawkesbury in 1984, according to my discharge book. (Sad isn't it, when ya have to resort to the book to figure out what ship was what ?).

Ah well....maybe not a quantum fluctuation after all.....

[=P]

Paul Baxter
15th November 2008, 23:18
Thanks assume you are refering to Port Hawesbury. As soon as I read your email the call sign rang a bell thanks

Paul

egister for 1974-75 the call sign was ZCDM.

I have various registers for period 1950-51, 1962-63, 1974-75 and 1977-78, plus list of coast and ship stations, glad to help out with any callsign requests.[/QUOTE]

freddythefrog
17th November 2008, 10:07
Paul---call sign for W.M.NEAL is ZBML. REGARDS FTF

R651400
17th November 2008, 13:08
V and Z calls indicate registration in colonial tax havens. The first I remember was in the fifties, the lovely liveried "Port Townsville" registered in Bermuda presumably with a V call. ZC indicates the possibility of Cyprus registration?

K urgess
17th November 2008, 13:34
Which Port Townsville was that, Malcolm?
The Port Line one I sailed on in 1968 (built 1951 and registered in London) was MGCV.
Cheers
Kris

Ron Stringer
17th November 2008, 13:43
[QUOTE=R651400;265459]V and Z calls indicate registration in colonial tax havens. QUOTE]

Do you mean places like Australia and India?

BobClay
17th November 2008, 14:29
I thought the Z callsigns in CP Ships were all Bermudan Registered, at least, that's how I remember it.

Long time ago though.

K urgess
17th November 2008, 14:43
Lord Mount Stephen/ZCVO was registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.
Cheers
Kris

R651400
17th November 2008, 18:31
Do you mean places like Australia and India?
Depends which letter follows the V!
Kris thanks for info ZC was Hamilton Bermuda. There's certainly a difference between the call allocated to the Island and that given to a ship registered in same. Bermuda I remember as having a VP allocation.
Correction on "Port Townsville" the ship was in fact the almost brand new "Townsville Star" pristine mauve hull and unusual registration, I saw in Port Melbourne circa '58 when making shoreside for a skinful of Melbourne bitter before six o'clock closing.

K urgess
17th November 2008, 18:57
Hamilton Radio (?), Bermuda was VRT, Malcolm.
Nassau, Bahamas was VPN.
Cheers
Kris

mikeg
17th November 2008, 18:59
I sailed on the Port Hawkesbury (with Capt Jeremy Rind, the craziest and most enjoyable captain I ever sailed with), but can I hell as like remember the bloody callsign.

It's either a quantum fluctuation in my brain.... or I'm getting old.

Sailed on her Dec 70 - May 71 but can't remember callsign or Capt name, maddening innit?

R651400
17th November 2008, 19:26
Nassau, Bahamas was VPN.Never worked that side of the pond from the Red Duster, Kris. VRT a one off or are there other VR's? The 50's Far East run Colombo/VPB, Penang/VPX Singapore/VPW and Hong Kong/VPS. Worked the V's in Borneo but they've slipped through the memory net.

R651400
17th November 2008, 19:34

Not all Blue Flue t.p.
Ajax/GJXM was OBS. Helped to while away the boring watches UK/Aus round the Cape after the '56 Suez closure.

BobClay
17th November 2008, 21:25
Was with CP for 10 years so certainly for Atlantic runs worked Bermuda quite a bit (copies of all report traffic went to CP Bermuda). Always liked calling VRT because it rolls off the key (Samson electronic key that is) really nicely.

Always found it a good station, I think he was glad of the traffic.

Ron Stringer
17th November 2008, 23:58
Nassau, Bahamas was VPN.
Cheers
Kris

Staying with 'V' callsigns in the West Indies, Barbados was VPO, Trinidad VPL and Jamaica was VQI.

K urgess
18th November 2008, 00:27
I've got a note that Kingston, Jamaica was 6YI in 1969 after independence.
Also that Barbados was 8PO by 1975. So I imagine Trinidad would be 8PL although I became quite lax in my log keeping by then. [=P]
Cheers
Kris

R651400
18th November 2008, 06:38
The international allocation for Trinidada and Tobago I have as 9Y 9Z.
There must have been V calls in the Pacific in the old days. Gilbert and Ellice islands etc. Wonder if anyone has something on British Borneo for ports like Labuan, Tawau, Jesselton and Sandakan?

another.... Malta/VPT

Paul Baxter
18th November 2008, 07:56
FTF

Thanks for callsign.May I ask where you found it?

Tks Paul

Paul Baxter
18th November 2008, 07:58
Yes they where all Z but the newer ones registered in Hong Kong may have been ?

Paul

Tai Pan
18th November 2008, 10:56
[QUOTE=trotterdotpom;264902]".....I have found a large amount of information on the weathership data base but not all vessles are weather reporting.

Autolycus sailed on it 1964....."

John T.[/Q

Most Bluies I sailed on were wx reporterrs. the awkward one was the 1800gmt, just as you were going off for a stengah or dinner or a zizz. have to admit to sending that one to any old station. (K)

R651400
18th November 2008, 11:15
Yes they where all Z but the newer ones registered in Hong Kong may have been? Paul, a bit hard to follow? What period are you talking about?

freddythefrog
18th November 2008, 11:19
Hyer Paul
Yes, went on google--typed in w.m.neal ship, came up with info re ship and callsign. Tried same with Silvermerlin but no info only a photo of 1300 ton coaster. Also I have got a 1988 List of ship stations but not in that one---sorry. cheers ftf

Mimcoman
19th November 2008, 20:33
I've got a note that Kingston, Jamaica was 6YI in 1969 after independence.
Also that Barbados was 8PO by 1975. So I imagine Trinidad would be 8PL although I became quite lax in my log keeping by then. [=P]
Cheers
Kris
Salaams, GTZM-Sahib:
North Post, Trinidad + Tobago was 9YL.

Mimcoman
19th November 2008, 20:47
The Akaroa had GVVV, which was nice to send.
Laristan's was GPJU, which sticks with me because it was consistently read as GPWX by many coast stations. And it wasn't my morse (honest, guv,he said pugnaciously) because I used to make d**n sure it was spaced out correctly after the first few GPWXs came back to me. The Chief R/O had the same problem as well, and I was once waiting behind Laristan on GKB5 and heard the mix-up again.
Of coast stations, I always feel - and it may be bias - that GND flows along nicely....

K urgess
19th November 2008, 21:24
Thanks Mimcoman. (Thumb)
Wasn't that far out then.[=P]

I QSO'd 9YL Trinidad. I've got a note about 8PO but she was an OBS ship so it could be anywhere.

Cheers
Kris

Clive Kaine
21st November 2008, 12:49
The Akaroa had GVVV, which was nice to send.
Laristan's was GPJU, which sticks with me because it was consistently read as GPWX by many coast stations. And it wasn't my morse (honest, guv,he said pugnaciously) because I used to make d**n sure it was spaced out correctly after the first few GPWXs came back to me. The Chief R/O had the same problem as well, and I was once waiting behind Laristan on GKB5 and heard the mix-up again.
Of coast stations, I always feel - and it may be bias - that GND flows along nicely....

Of all the ships I sailed on, I remember Garmula/GPEA as being a lovely rhythmic callsign to send

R651400
21st November 2008, 17:43
Of coast stations, I always feel - and it may be bias - that GND flows along nicely......and here's another for the oracle.
Some coast stations with calls directly linked to their geographical position. GNF GNI, GLD, GPK, GCC, GIL, Outsiders GKZ, GND, GKR, GNE, GLV.

King Ratt
21st November 2008, 17:55
My favourite nicely flowing c/s was RFA Tidespring / GJMC.

Ron Stringer
22nd November 2008, 00:09
..and here's another for the oracle.
Some coast stations with calls directly linked to their geographical position. GNF GNI, GLD, GPK, GCC, GIL, Outsiders GKZ, GND, GKR, GNE, GLV.

GLV was originally in Liverpool (well, Seaforth) and was relocated to Anglesey during the 1950s (not sure of the exact date). Gave better coverage of the Irish Sea from there. So GLV was geographically appropriate (until they moved it, that is).

Degema
22nd November 2008, 11:24
One of my favourites was Vibex/GTNL.

R651400
22nd November 2008, 11:49
Wonder if there was someone within the IoWT structure who must have been musically adept to designate ships call signs?
Going back to H24 ships and I would think Marconi "Worldspan," during my short time on the Atlantic there was always one call that boomed above everybody else...Mauretania/GTTM.

K urgess
22nd November 2008, 13:09
Having just practiced all my callsigns (Sad) they all still flow off the key. I think the only one I didn't like was GXSK/Fremantle Star but the run and the ship more than made up for that. (Thumb)
Easiest one seems to be the world's favourite tanker to which I have a definite link. Rolls easily off the cuff GSSJ/Cerinthus probably because it's one dash out from being a palindrome. [=P]

Ron Stringer
22nd November 2008, 22:33
I think the only one I didn't like was GXSK/Fremantle Star but the run and the ship more than made up for that.

Was on one ship with a similar c/s. When I first joined the ''Bretwalda'' didn't like GXPX but it grew on me.

non descript
23rd November 2008, 19:45
Having just practiced all my callsigns (Sad) they all still flow off the key. I think the only one I didn't like was GXSK/Fremantle Star but the run and the ship more than made up for that. (Thumb)
Easiest one seems to be the world's favourite tanker to which I have a definite link. Rolls easily off the cuff GSSJ/Cerinthus probably because it's one dash out from being a palindrome. [=P]

Aaaaaaah. Now there is a link with the past (==D)

BA204259
23rd November 2008, 20:24
Couple of absolute beauties for the rhythm:-

St Essylt/GBSW

St Helena/GBTJ (my particular favourite)

Saxonia/GSJS wasn't half bad either. Worst...Gladstone Star/GCJH and Scottish Trader/GHXU. Saw somebody mention Beechmore earlier, also pretty good at MTQW.

Reef.Runner
9th January 2009, 10:12
A real lazy one:

Fort Sandusky/MAMT

I always wanted a ham radio call ending ESE - not achieved it yet!!

R651400
9th January 2009, 11:17
Reef Runner, Thanks for above.
When I took my ticket at Leith circa 54 there was a Fort boat in mothballs in Leith docks.
Going through my RAM I thought it was Fort Rosalie, Fort Beaharnois/MAAR and now I realise it was Fort Sandusky/MAMT.
Anyone with Fort Rosalie's call-sign to add to the trio?

R58484956
9th January 2009, 16:37
Fort Rosalie = MNXI the "I" in my book is slightly faded and could even be an "L"

R651400
9th January 2009, 17:09
Thanks Brian, was hoping it might be another MA. MNXL most likely but vowels did creep into the M series viz call signs of her sisters. Hny.

Roger Bentley
9th January 2009, 17:41
Thanks Brian, was hoping it might be another MA. MNXL most likely but vowels did creep into the M series viz call signs of her sisters. Hny.

M, I can confirm it is MNXL. Cheers Roger

R651400
10th January 2009, 08:46
Thanks Roger. Another I remember was MAEM P&O cargo ship but the name his disappeared from the RAM. Blue Funnel M's from memory were Antilochus/MBLK and Eumaeus/MWRT. I always get Eumaeus and Elpenor mixed up but think latter was GRLC. Canst cfm imi.

R58484956
10th January 2009, 11:30
SS Eumaeus 7308 tons Built 1943, Ex Samnesse. Code flags GBZJ
PS Details as 1953/4, ship under Glen line.

R651400
10th January 2009, 13:54
Thanks agn B. Your Eumaeus above became Glenshiel. Have to say the call sign doesn't ring a bell but what can you expect after 50 years!
1953 Eumaeus/MWRT one of the many BF "A" class builds spent the last of her years under the NSMO Dutch flag.

Roger Bentley
10th January 2009, 17:20
Thanks Roger. Another I remember was MAEM P&O cargo ship but the name his disappeared from the RAM. Blue Funnel M's from memory were Antilochus/MBLK and Eumaeus/MWRT. I always get Eumaeus and Elpenor mixed up but think latter was GRLC. Canst cfm imi.

M, Confirm Elpenor was GRLC. Cheers, Roger

R58484956
11th January 2009, 11:49
MAEM = P&O = MV SOUDAN. 9080t Built 1948.

double acting
11th January 2009, 12:39
I think Lloyd's Register gives the call sign for every ship in it. In Glasgow the University Archives has a complete set, I assume most major libraries in England have a similar position.

R58484956
11th January 2009, 12:49
LR does give the code flags/call sign of all ships detailed within its pages.

R651400
16th January 2009, 09:08
B. Soudan/MAEM thanks for that.