Barge Superintendant Lewis (Bo) Driggers

ticotiger14
15th November 2008, 20:58
Hello
I just found this forum by searching Atlas Barge.

My father in Law worked for Brown & Root for over 30yrs, 1950's thru 1980's.
He started as a Rigger and worked his way up to Barge Superintendant (Sp.) He was Super of the Atlas, Hercules and others, I believe.

I would like to hear from anyone that knew Bo Driggers or worked With or For him. And any stories you might have about him.

He regrettably Passed away in Feb. 2007 at the age of 81.

He loved his Job and especially Brown & Root but had a dislike for Engineers(==D)

He was a good Man.

Please respond if you knew him.

Thanks
Tico

PS. I have many of his maritime Pictures

RayJordandpo
16th November 2008, 08:56
Trico
I remember Bo Driggers when he was barge superintendant with Brown and Root in the North Sea in the late sixties, early seventies. I also worked with him in Bantry Bay,Southern Ireland with the 'Hercules' building the oil jetties at Whiddy island. I was on the tug 'Masterman' towing and running anchors for them. He was a true gentleman who had time for everybody, very sorry to hear he has passed away. We had a great working relationship with that barge and spent a very happy four months in Southern Island, ashore every night consuming vast quantities of guiness, they certainly know how to party in that neck of the woods. I also remember Pete Niece the crane driver and Neil Landry the dive superintendant from Taylor Diving. Good times.
Ray Jordan

ticotiger14
16th November 2008, 09:14
Nice to hear from you Ray.

He retired in the mid-80's and lived a comfortable life on some acres east of Houston with his wife Christine. He had a few cows and liked taking care of his land.

I saw alot of his early pictures with the guys on the barge and it looked like a surly bunch for sure.

I married his daughter in 1973, so knew him for over 30yrs. He was always good to me and we had a great relationship.

I'm trying to think of the guy that was his relief on the barge , his name was Bob something, I'll have to ask my wife. He retired in Houston also.

Ray, I have some pictures of him and his hands during those North Sea days, I'll post some for you if you want and If I can figure out how to post them. I might have even a picture of your Tug around here somewhere as he had alot of Pictures of Big Tugs.

Anyway, Nice to hear from you.

RayJordandpo
16th November 2008, 13:29
Hi Trico
Would be great to see some photos of those days. I am wracking my brains trying to think of the names of some of those guys. Johnny Pyle was another well known barge super with B&R. I was with him in Angola where he was on the converted tanker 'Global Adventurer' I am offshore GOM at the moment in Green Canyon for Chevron. I am on a 'Flotell' supporting the Tahiti Spar Project. We crew change out of New Orleans via either Memphis or Houston.
Take care
Ray Jordan

GALTRA
16th November 2008, 14:27
Hi there Tico, I'm deeply saddened to learn of Bo's death and often wondered how he was. I was on the Atlas 1 with him in the North Sea and the Far East in 1969 and early 70's. As Ray says -A TRUE GENTLEMAN - big in every way, he was always very kind to me even though I probally annoyed the hell out of him at times. He was also a very religious man and very honest. A story about him = We were working on a well head off the coast of Brunei in shallow water and as our regular Comex divers were not available an Australian diving company were called in to dive and open a valve on the seabed. Bo and a few of us were standing on deck waiting for them to do this and get on with the job. After three or four attempts the divers kept coming up and saying it was stuck. Bo was getting more and more frustrated and before we knew it he dived in and down he went , no gear and fully clothed. His head popped up and he swam to the ladder and up on deck he came, still with the cigar in his mouth. His first words were = God damm divers, get off my barge and let us get this job finished. The valve was opened all the time... He had a great relationship with our Spanish crew and they woud do anything for their -- Mister Bo. Pete Niess took over from Bo as Super. a few times and there was a man named Bob ---- but I can't remember his name. Sadly I've lost most of the photos from those days. All the best, Charley

ticotiger14
16th November 2008, 22:43
Great Story Charlie, Nice to here from you and Ray
I can see him running those Divers off the Barge, great story.

I loaded some pictures, have a bunch more
Hope you enjoy
Click on Pictures to enlarge
http://imageevent.com/ruckers/bodriggers

GALTRA
17th November 2008, 02:13
Tico, wonderful photos, many thanks, after over 30 years they bring back a lot of memories. I believe I took some of them, the top right one in no.13 I took of him and Niall Kennedy in Niall's cabin on the Atlas1 in Okinawa and the top two of no.11 showing - left photo - Peanuts, Niall, ? and Bo. Right photo - Niall, our local boatman, who we called Smiling Jack and Bo, can't remember the name of the guy at the back I have the bottom photo of no.2 showing the group of Spanish lads, Captain Niall Kennedy, (died about 6 years ago), with Roy Jenkins shaking hands with Jack Perry, (the barge wages clerk and Bo's secretary), on the occasion of his retirement. I can put names on most of them and sailed with all of them, great bunch of guys , three of them were part of the crew who rode the tow on the Atlas1 with Niall and I from Rotterdam to Okinawa. Really great to see these photos of Bo and co. Many thanks again, Charley

RayJordandpo
17th November 2008, 08:55
Great photos, many thanks.
Certanly brings back memories.
Ray Jordan

joseph lyons
14th February 2009, 14:20
Hi Trico,
I worked with Bo in the north sea and gulf of mexico , In the gulf of mexico Brown and Root owned the crane ship OCEAN BUILDER 1 , Bo was one of the construction supers on that vessel and I was the ships Captain.
My brother in law Capt Don Curtis (now deceased) also worked with Bo in the north sea , one of the projects was the Forties BP project Bo met the queen of England at the turn on of the first oil flow, he was very proud of that and alswas kept a photo of that hand shake with the queen.
Bo was on the ATLAS for the famous LENA Guide tower Project for EXXON off the Louisianna coast ,both the OCEAN BUILDER and the ATLAS installed that structure which at the time was a major project.
Bo was famous to all who worked in the offshore industry .
At a very big meeting in Rotterdam prior to the Barge HERCULES proceeding to the north sea on a major project , all present were discussing the operation and how it would progress , someone suddenly asked Bo what he thaught ? Bo in his normal way said words to the fact "if you stop all this Bull**** talk I will sail and get the Job done" That was Bo.
He will be remembered as one of the origional barge superintendents of the old days before "qualified" barge engineers dictated how the offshore industry should be operated.
He was an icon and always got the job done.

regards
Capt Joe Lyons.Retired.

ticotiger14
3rd June 2009, 20:39
Hey Guys , It's been awhile since I checked in, moving etc.
Anyway I found some time to go thru some of my father in Laws pictures and found this photo collection of the Launching of the Atlas in The hague 1965.

More pictures of dignataries than the barge, but I was wondering if some of you would take a look at them and tell who the Royals and executives are.

I have 100's upon 100's of his Brown & Root Photos, I'll give you a heads up as I get them scanned

Thanks in advance

http://imageevent.com/ruckers/atlaslaunching1965

paj
25th June 2009, 20:22
hi tico,
i was talking to an old friend today, who i knew worked for brown and root in the 60s and 70s. first time i have seen him for quite a long time.
his name is Geoff Perkins and as soon as i mentioned Bo Driggers he was over the moon. he told me he worked with Bo out in asia and i think he said also in the north sea. i wonder if you or any of your family remember Geoff i think he said that several of Bo,s kin worked on the barges. alas Geoff hasn,t got a computer, so if there are any messages i can relay them to him. by the way i worked for rival firm j ray mcdermott.
all the best,
paj.

blit603
24th July 2009, 13:16
Never having met the gentleman, I can't say much Bo Driggers. My father, Pete Little, did work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico with him. He passed about three years ago now, but I remember some of his stories, many of them having great things to say about Bo.

wayneb95
31st October 2009, 23:05
My Name Is Wayne Ballinger And I Knew Bo Driggers Thru His Daughter And My Brother-in-law Anton Smesny. I Think The Man Tico Is Talking About Is Bob Ramsey [captain Bob]. My Older Brother Also Worked With Bo. I Work For Brown And Root For Awhile On The Barge H.a. Lindsey.

timeout
5th November 2009, 00:27
Does anybody remember which B and R barge, the Wessex chopper crashed onto, in the Forties Field, after clipping the catch net on --I think it was Forties Delta--1976?

cattell
16th November 2009, 03:05
Hello
I just found this forum by searching Atlas Barge.

My father in Law worked for Brown & Root for over 30yrs, 1950's thru 1980's.
He started as a Rigger and worked his way up to Barge Superintendant (Sp.) He was Super of the Atlas, Hercules and others, I believe.

I would like to hear from anyone that knew Bo Driggers or worked With or For him. And any stories you might have about him.

He regrettably Passed away in Feb. 2007 at the age of 81.

He loved his Job and especially Brown & Root but had a dislike for Engineers(==D)

He was a good Man.

Please respond if you knew him.

Thanks
Tico

PS. I have many of his maritime Pictures
Tico
I knew Bo ( lewis , I believe ) very well between 72 and 76 when i was on the BP Forties Project Team with him and Capt'n Paul Hendricks ( another amazing character. I was a sort of apprentice to both of them , having come from a shipyard. Early on he was not acting as a barge Supt. on the project but a project manager, which meant he sometine worked on the Thor as a BP /BR representative banging head with the Dutchmen. will be back, alan longer

cattell
18th November 2009, 15:30
Does anybody remember which B and R barge, the Wessex chopper crashed onto, in the Forties Field, after clipping the catch net on --I think it was Forties Delta--1976?

It was Heerema's Thor. Got pictures but not of the actual crash. I
was in the hercules when it happened 4 miles away. Alan cattell Houston Texas

cattell
18th November 2009, 15:36
I believe BO finally got to like one company of divers that we had on board for Forties -Subsea International. Their performance made every body look good and they eventulaay got to put a system on the Thor. Not the same with enginers but I really enjoyed working with him

cattell
6th December 2009, 06:19
ray
i was on tahiti on the thiaf and the swordfish. You obviously also go back a long time with these guys. I have a stack of pictures of the hercules and am looking for a good place to post them , i suppose I could put then on my own website seaworkservices.com
alan

RayJordandpo
7th December 2009, 20:15
Hi Alan,
I think Brown and Root and McDermoots had the lions share in building the North Sea platforms. We had a great seven months working at Tahiti Spar in Green Canyon, I really enjoyed crew changing out of New Orleans. Why don't you upload some of your photographs on this site? I'm sure anybody who worked in the offshore industry will be very interested in viewing them.

Hanque Curtis
4th May 2010, 19:13
Greetings,
I worked for Bo Driggers, Capt. Joe Lyons and Capt. Joe Walford as a paramedic/timekeeper aboard Ocean Builder in 1980-81. Bo was a world-class character who demanded the best of everyone who worked for him and always backed up those who did the job for him. It was an honor to have worked for him.
Best regards to Brown&Root alumni.
Cheers, Hanque Curtis

oldnick
29th October 2010, 21:20
hi tico,
i was talking to an old friend today, who i knew worked for brown and root in the 60s and 70s. first time i have seen him for quite a long time.
his name is Geoff Perkins and as soon as i mentioned Bo Driggers he was over the moon. he told me he worked with Bo out in asia and i think he said also in the north sea. i wonder if you or any of your family remember Geoff i think he said that several of Bo,s kin worked on the barges. alas Geoff hasn,t got a computer, so if there are any messages i can relay them to him. by the way i worked for rival firm j ray mcdermott.
all the best,
paj.

Sadly Geoff passed away earlier this year. I was a surveyor with B&R during the 70's and 80's and we crossed paths all over the known world - Bacton, Easington, Bombay, Thailand etc, etc. Just a lovely straight forward guy and I've got lots of good memories.

He always had a soft spot for local labour and worried about one particular group of Vietnamese boat people that had been rescued by one of our survey vessels in Thailand. They were in a poor way and he did his best to help them out.

paj
30th October 2010, 21:00
Sadly Geoff passed away earlier this year. I was a surveyor with B&R during the 70's and 80's and we crossed paths all over the known world - Bacton, Easington, Bombay, Thailand etc, etc. Just a lovely straight forward guy and I've got lots of good memories.

He always had a soft spot for local labour and worried about one particular group of Vietnamese boat people that had been rescued by one of our survey vessels in Thailand. They were in a poor way and he did his best to help them out.

yes geoff was a great loss not only to his friends but to the community of wells-next-sea. he did a lot of research of the lives lost in both world wars, and wrote several books about them.

Joseph DeCecchis
4th January 2011, 23:00
I served under Bo Driggers on the Atlas1 in the Gulf of Mexico 1980-1981. I worked in the steward department which he hated. He gave me a pile of grief all the time, until one day I was walking by his cabin, he asked me to administer some drops into his aching ear, from then on he was always friendly to me. Alot of the guys were afraid of him, he liked to run people off that he did'nt like. I have many photos of my time on the barge, It seemed like all the heavy lifting was done with Bo was on board. In the year I worked, the Atlas1 did numerous jobs. The most spectacular was the LOOP platform off Louisiana. I miss those days, it's difficult to explain to people who have not worked offshore how exciting it is to be part of history,no matter how small your part is. I am proud to have worked with such a competent captain, He may not have been tall in stature but he was bigger than life. God Rest his Soul

L.J.F. Berenson
2nd February 2011, 21:57
My name is Loek (Luke) Berenson and I worked for Brown and Root in the Netherlands. I was chief accountant and petty cash manager in the Rotterdam/Schiedam office. I am very sorry to hear that Bo Driggers died at the age of 81. He was a very dedicated barge superintendant, first on the barge Atlas I and later on the derrick barge Hercules and the derrick vessel Global Adventurer. He was a very gentle and nice man and I cashed numerous personal cheques for him. He was always very nice to people and always had time for a chat. I also remember a number os people that have worked for him; Pete Neis, John William Mc. Master, Bob and Carl Langham, D. Mushgrove, the crane driver (Dutch) Bolle Jan, as they said the best crane driver in the North Sea, Paul Wolfs time keeper and store keeper Fred Ward.
On the Global Adventurer I remember Mike Aherne, captain and time-keeper.
Also shocked that Geoff Perkins passed away. As far as I remember he was of Scottish or English nationality.
In my possession still is a complete library of the Brown and Root magazine(missing only about five issues) The Brownbuilder up until 1984 and even one issue of the Cementer, which preceded the Brownbuilder magazine.
I will have a look in those magazines to find articles of both the Atlas I and Global Adventurer and Hercules and references to Bo Driggers if you want.

I checked for the pictures that were posted on the Internet about the delivery/launching of the barge Atlas I in 1965, but apparently those pictures are not there anymore. You were wondering if anybody knew people on those pictures. Maybe you can put them on again sothat I can see if I know any of these people. If you do, please let me know if you post them again; my email is ljfberenson@hotmail.com.
Maybe I will write again at a later date. As Bo always used to say: "Keep up the good work."
Kindest,
Loek Berenson

bluesingers
16th March 2012, 23:20
Hi Tico, My name is Chuck Sitaway and I worked with your father-in-law on DB Hercules in Europe in the seventies. I was originally recruited by Peter Williams who was the Chief Electrician. Peter hired me as 1st Electrician when Bo was the Superintendent. Bo was old school and did not suffer fools gladly, he was however a top guy to work with for many reasons, but mainly because he was prepared to give guys the chance to prove themselves in very tough conditions and if you tried your best he would support you all the way. During my time with DB Hercules (three years 1975 to 1978) the vessel was emloyed in the northern section of the north sea installing jackets, topsides modules, flare stacks and installation support. The weather conditions in the winter were attrocious but the 'Herc' stayed on location while the 'whimpy' lay barges ran for Rotterdam. Bo's relief and ultimate replacement when he went to Atlas was Bob Nerrin. Bo and Bob were like chalk and cheese. Bo would spend a lot of time on deck directing operations while Bob, a keen numismatist, would spend most of time in the superintendants cabin with his coin books.
Bo had many querks, a hatred of long haired divers was one of them. It was not unusual for Bo to chase a new diver back onto the supply boat if he did not like length of his hair.....the diver was not 'run off', he could go back to the beach get a haircut and come back....no problem. Chief Engineer during this time was Devours Musgrove (Texan), Captain was Danny Curtis (Irish), Barge Foreman was John McMaster (USA), later replaced by Freeman Moore (not sure where Freeman was from but it wasn't earth. Geoff (UK) was admin, John Hughes (UK) was radio technician. The Deck Supervision was mainly from the US and the engine room engineers were mainly UK. The welders, fitters and deck crew were mainly from the NW of Spain. In 1977/78 B&R modified a flat bottom barge Atlas for a specific project in the norwiegen sector. Atlas was widened and lengthened and a 2000t Clyde Whirly crane was installed. Bo went as super and took half the Herc crew with him. My boss Peter Williams went and I was promoted to Chief on the Herc. Unfortunately Atlas was completely unsuited for the project and the flat bottom vessel pitched and rolled for 30+ days unable to carry out a single lift. All the time 'Blue Whale' a Norwiegen 'semi-sub' crane barge stood off ready to step in and take over which is exactly what happened. Atlas was transfered to the Middle East and I lost touch with all on board. Hope you find this of some interest.

Chuck