Capt. Sidney ("Sam") Lewis - 1940's-1950's

Rob
20th July 2005, 22:00
I am searching for any information, anecdotes, etc., regarding my maternal grandfather, Capt. Sidney Lewis (who preferred to be known as "Sam"!), ships included - I think! - Apapa, Accra and/or Calabar, from the late 1940's to mid 1950's. I was born in Lagos in 1952 to his daughter (Barbara June Lewis) and to Gerardus Cornelis Vink (aka "Niels"), who worked for the Holland-West Africa Line. We lived for most of our time in Takoradi, before "coming home" via Abidjan and Freetown. I've many photographs which I am willing to share, and would really like to hear from anyone who has information/memories/photographs, etc., about my parents, my grandfather and life generally in 1950's Gold Coast .

Graham the pipe
19th October 2013, 11:14
I am searching for any information, anecdotes, etc., regarding my maternal grandfather, Capt. Sidney Lewis (who preferred to be known as "Sam"!), ships included - I think! - Apapa, Accra and/or Calabar, from the late 1940's to mid 1950's. I was born in Lagos in 1952 to his daughter (Barbara June Lewis) and to Gerardus Cornelis Vink (aka "Niels"), who worked for the Holland-West Africa Line. We lived for most of our time in Takoradi, before "coming home" via Abidjan and Freetown. I've many photographs which I am willing to share, and would really like to hear from anyone who has information/memories/photographs, etc., about my parents, my grandfather and life generally in 1950's Gold Coast .

A very good morning to you Rob - IF you are reading this! I can only apologise - on behalf of ALL 'Elders of Elders' - for the fact that, after all this time, you have not had a single reply to your request.

I sincerely wish I could help you but I'm afraid your maternal grandfather's name is unknown to me, personally. However, on my Es of Es 'circuit' I do have seafarers, with EDs, going back to the 40s and early 50s. I make no promises but I'll see what I can find out for you.

The photos, that you kindly say you would be willing to share, are of considerable interest. How would you organise? Are they simply 'shots' in albums or are they, now, on disc or similar?

Please let me know and I'll put you in touch with the brilliant compiler of what I consider to be the 'official' (even though it isn't) ED web site elderdempster.org

Kindest regards. Hope to hear from you. GTP

Donald Fowler
20th October 2013, 10:40
Unfortunately , although with ED's from 1950-1954, I didn't come across Capt.Lewis.
Regards
Donald Fowler

g h ryan
21st October 2013, 15:53
Good Afternoon Rob

Also sorry about your late replies. I was with EDs from 1954 to 1957 but do not remember Captain Lewis. As for life in Takoradi, I was on the cadet ship OBUASI 1953 / 54 and most of the cadets were taken to a saw mill one afternoon and then on to the agent's home for tea. It was quite a formal affair but we had to cope with cup and plate on our laps. We were embarrassed to drop some crumbs on the very plush carpet ! Not to worry, said the lady of the house, and clapped her hands for a small dog to come in and hoovered up the crumbs very quickly.