Censoring

Pat Kennedy
17th November 2008, 09:06
I have noticed that SN seems to have introduced some mechanism which automatically censors certain words.
I recently posted on the 'sick yobs' thread and used the word '*****'.It was replaced with a row of asterisks.
*****, (a word meaning prostitute beginning with 'w' and ending with 'e') is hardly an offensive word .
Are we so politically correct that words such as this are deemed unsuitable, or too robust for the membership?
Pat

AncientBrit
17th November 2008, 09:41
Why didnt you use the word PROSTITUTE? To you the deleted word may not be offensive. it certainly isnt to me, but.....among our many members we now have a considerable number of women and to them the word is no doubt derogatory.
Not sure of the MN attitude towards same, but from my memories of the RN, women were always treated with respect and dignity and no matter what your normal vocabulary, restraint was practiced when women were included.
Not PC, I think more a matter of good manners.
AB

non descript
17th November 2008, 09:44
No Pat, it is nothing to with SN Censorship, it is merely the automatic software that is part of the site’s internal program and the designers of that package have built in a whole raft of words that they, in their wisdom, deem as unsuitable to all the sites that buy their product. Whilst I do agree that it is unfortunate and even frustrating to try and add, for example, a word for the fused material formed during the smelting process, or refining of metals from their ores, and find that the word similar to slug becomes ****, but it is reasonable.
(Thumb)
Mark

AncientBrit
17th November 2008, 09:59
This system is a constant source of amusement on the game site I use. try typing in a certain breed of floppy eared Spaniel [=P]
AB

billyboy
17th November 2008, 10:52
Ah you must mean a cocker spanniel

AncientBrit
17th November 2008, 10:58
Which just goes to illustrate that SN isnt as strict as some sites lol
AB

Fieldsy
17th November 2008, 11:01
Can't resist testing the system.

What if I were to say I came from Scunthorpe?
(EEK)

Fieldsy
17th November 2008, 11:02
Blimey - it passed!

Pat Kennedy
17th November 2008, 12:53
Why didnt you use the word PROSTITUTE? To you the deleted word may not be offensive. it certainly isnt to me, but.....among our many members we now have a considerable number of women and to them the word is no doubt derogatory.
Not sure of the MN attitude towards same, but from my memories of the RN, women were always treated with respect and dignity and no matter what your normal vocabulary, restraint was practiced when women were included.
Not PC, I think more a matter of good manners.
AB

I'm afraid I disagree. The word in question is a perfectly good English noun in common use. Indeed, Channel Four are trailing a programme to be broadcast on Wednesday evening called 'The Devil's *****', concerning the English Civil War.
I have not heard of anyone, male or female objecting to this title.
Pat

K urgess
17th November 2008, 12:59
Not too long ago you couldn't type in Marseilles without it being assaulted with asterisks.
So as time goes by and when words come to their notice, I imagine Admin are making adjustments.

Tmac1720
17th November 2008, 15:07
Can't resist testing the system.

What if I were to say I came from Scunthorpe?
(EEK)

What you should have written was " If Typhoo put the "T" in Britain who put the **** in Scunthorpe?" (Jester)

stein
17th November 2008, 15:52
A cut-splice is an eye in the middle of a rope, something the British sailors of old actually did not call a cut-splice (although all English manuals say they did), but which the Norwegians, funnily enough, called kunt-spleis. And I have an old Norwegian seamanship manual with several suggestive uses of that implement. When in doubt, use Norwegian. Stein.

charles henry
17th November 2008, 16:00
If there werent so many sassenachs and other nationalities involved I would suggest beating the system we could simply switch to gaelic, failing that we could use "pig latin" anyone still fluent???
de chas

Steve
17th November 2008, 16:16
Gentlemen, We set the tempo for the swear words to be censored. It has nothing at all to do with being politically correct .We did not introduce this feature it has always been in operation.Quite frankly we don't have time to chase around after a lot of childish schoolboys who think its funny to test or find fault with the system.

The site is read by a lot of people, and using foul language that, lets face it we can all use, is neither big or funny.

I hope this particular thread dies a quick death and the more adult and understanding members just continue to use the site respecting the majority
of members wishes.

Thks
Steve

andysk
18th November 2008, 14:38
Hear Hear Steve -

Let's just keep using common sense and probity.

Fieldsy
18th November 2008, 14:53
What you should have written was " If Typhoo put the "T" in Britain who put the **** in Scunthorpe?" (Jester)

Prexactly - it's where the idea came from.

The old 'uns are still the best!

charles henry
18th November 2008, 14:55
One has to recognise the nuance of a posting and I really thought we were all just poking fun, then again I remember as a child breaking a "stink bomb" at Sunday school, I was the only one thinking it was funny.

de chas

stein
18th November 2008, 16:43
Okay, I don't need those words. A few thoughts about censorship in itself can't harm anyone, but they can be discussed in relation to censorship of a more serious nature. If anyone wants to remove the thread, that is of no bother to me. Regards, Stein.

cmakin
18th November 2008, 17:01
No Pat, it is nothing to with SN Censorship, it is merely the automatic software that is part of the site’s internal program and the designers of that package have built in a whole raft of words that they, in their wisdom, deem as unsuitable to all the sites that buy their product. Whilst I do agree that it is unfortunate and even frustrating to try and add, for example, a word for the fused material formed during the smelting process, or refining of metals from their ores, and find that the word similar to slug becomes ****, but it is reasonable.
(Thumb)
Mark

Hmm. when I type that "slug" word in, my ex wife's name pops up.

Lksimcoe
18th November 2008, 19:09
Sometimes I wish that censoring software was everywhere.

About 10 years ago, at the company I was working at I had to send out daily emails to senior management giving the daily data counts.

And one day I forgot the "O" in count. I realized it as soon as I clicked on send.

I then packed my desk and waited for the dreaded phone call, and about 20 minutes later my VP called me into his office, and couldn't stop laughing.

The lady that was VP of Personnel wasn't impressed, but accepted my apology.

Don't know how I didn't get fired, but who am I to questionit.

Binnacle
18th November 2008, 22:00
Gentlemen,
The site is read by a lot of people, and using foul language that, lets face it we can all use, is neither big or funny.

I hope this particular thread dies a quick death and the more adult and understanding members just continue to use the site respecting the majority
of members wishes.

Thks
Steve

My opinion is that without the degree of censorship in use SN would have gone down the scuppers a long time ago. There are plenty of sites catering for these people.
Thanks Steve.

omega2618
18th November 2008, 22:17
The deputy headmaster of my local junior school recalls having new computers installed along with the necessary software to protect the children whilst working on-line.After several days of being unable to send or receive any emails a technician was called in only to find that the new software was blocking all communications containing the name of the school.Born in the village,a composer and organist to Charles II and a tutor to Henry Purcell the man after whom the school was named was Dr John Blow who died in 1708!

Outlawtorn70
24th November 2008, 23:44
I wonder if the text refining programme is built up to take into account the french words............