Clymene - 1961 - 1976

dicamus
20th July 2005, 22:38
Hi all,

Has anyone got pictures, info on the HSC Clymene. I sailed on this vessel whilst on charter to Shell from Singapore Apr 67 to Banda Mahshahr Oct 67. I have my memories but a visual reminder would be great.

Thanks in anticipation

Dick

dicamus
21st July 2005, 00:06
Hi
According to my Discharge Book the Official No was 302675 so undoubtably it is the same vessel. I thought it was built earlier than '61 though. That aside any info and picture would be most welcome.

Regards

Dick

Dave Edge
21st July 2005, 02:45
I have posted a not particularly good photo of the "Clymene" under 'Tankers'. The "Clymene" was 12,251 gross tons, 18,500 deadweight completed by Hawthorne Leslie in 1961. Spent all her life as "Clymene" and arrived Kaohsiung 3 August 1976 to be broken up.

non descript
13th November 2006, 20:04
Thanks for that Dave, and to add a fragment more; Clymene was launched by Miss Elizabeth Rowell, daughter of the Chairman of Hawthorn Leslie and somewhat surprisingly the name was chosen by the sponsor (and not the Owner). It is reported that she was the first ship in the world to have epoxy coated tanks and on delivery entered onto a 20 year charter with Shell, later extended so that her entire career was spend under their control and nearly all of it in Far East and Australia & New Zealand trades. As a clean oil ship with coated tanks, she was chartered by Shell to the Americans during the Vietnam War and made numerous trips up river with aviation spirit.

ruud
13th November 2006, 20:37
Hi all,

Has anyone got pictures, info on the HSC Clymene. I sailed on this vessel whilst on charter to Shell from Singapore Apr 67 to Banda Mahshahr Oct 67. I have my memories but a visual reminder would be great.

Thanks in anticipation

Dick

Ahoy Dick,
Well it is a while ago, since you posted this thread, don't know if you're still around, but here you are:

john shaw
14th November 2006, 09:50
the following may interest you:

http://chopin2001.com/clymene.htm

B.Bass
23rd December 2006, 05:49
I sailed on one Hadleys tanker carrying Naptha from the Persian Gulf to Japan in the mid 70's so Iguess it was the Clymene as she was a white oil ship.Memory isn't what it used to be

non descript
15th October 2007, 23:57
Hi all,

Thanks in anticipation

Dick

A little late, but I found this one ( http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery//showphoto.php?photo=3731) today.

Mick quinn
23rd November 2007, 22:46
Dave

Have just found this link while surfing. Sorry to differ but my discharge book shows the S.S. Clymene as registered in London, Official Number 302675, Shaft Horse Power 7500, Net Registered Tons 6838.18, Gross Registered Tons 11960.42. Joined the ship in Singapore on 12 January 1973 and left her, against my wishes, on 24 July 1973 in Geelong, Australia. Very happy memories of both ship and crew, except the time we skirted a typhoon in the Pacific and the paint store contents were mixed into a very toxic, and smelly, mix.

non descript
24th November 2007, 09:14
Mick,
You do not seem to "differ" on anything as far as I can see - and the Clymene was, as you say, registered in London. A fine ship, owned by an equally fine company.
(Thumb)
Mark

d.mccarthy
15th January 2008, 00:46
hi dick joined the clymene cape town 2|6|75 paid off karachi 1|12|75 at sea derek

fred henderson
15th January 2008, 17:46
There is a good photo of Clymene in Benjidog's Allen collection website.

http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/C0000030.jpg

Fred(Thumb)

B.Bass
16th January 2008, 06:02
You were right there Fred,a great picture of a good ship.My first Hadley ship,and luckily not my last.

Hilly
29th January 2008, 18:44
Joined Clymene in Pulau Bukam Singapore in October 66 to March 67 . Did several trips to South Vietnam (Danang,Cam Rahn Bay, Nha Trang) carrying JP2 (aviation fuel) Spent quite some time anchored at these places loading up into small coasters. We also did a trip to Abadan dropping off a deck cargo of barrelled oil at Columbo on our return to Singapore. Eventually payed off at Abadan. Quite a lucrative trip as I had accrued 3 months at double pay for being in a war Zone.

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 09:47
I sailed on the Clymene during her sea trials while serving my time at Hawthorn Leslie's. I was "interviewed" in the engine room by captain Allen, hoping to sail on this lovely ship. The "Brandon Priory" was in dry dock at the time after running her HP thrust on her maiden voyage andd my dreams of sailing on the "Clymene" were shattered when I was transferred to the Brandon.

I sailed mostly on the "Brandon Priory" and the "Bidford Priory" between 1961 and 1967 with short trips on the "Oregis" and "Denby Grange"

non descript
19th May 2008, 09:58
I sailed on the Clymene during her sea trials while serving my time at Hawthorn Leslie's. I was "interviewed" in the engine room ..."

Bombersman, you may find yourself in one of the pictures in this thread here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=18611&highlight=kayeson) (Jester)

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 11:07
Thanks for the link(Thumb) Tonga. The memories come flooding back. I don't remember the Kayeson at Leslies, although Alan Lowry, later chief engineer, and a lad called Earny Cherry sailed on her. The ship in the river next to the Clymene was the "Linkmoor" which I also worked on after transferring from St Peters engine works towards the end of my apprenticeship.

Kind regards

Bob

non descript
19th May 2008, 12:36
Bob, the Clymene was a special ship (and owning company), although maybe not she was not quite as special as ‘The World’s Favourite Tanker’ – but that is a matter of personal choice, but there is one Member on here who has the single ''link'' to that one …(Jester)
Thank you for pointing us in the right direction as to the other ship in that picture.
(Thumb)
Mark

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 16:00
Thank you for pointing us in the right direction as to the other ship in that picture.
Sorry about that, I think that I may have mislead you. I am almost certain that the other ship was indeed the Clymene but that photo was taken before the Linkmoor was launched and I was refering to the time that the Clymene returned from sea trials and the ship alongside her then was the Linkmoor

I have since seen the link that you refer to LOL

Bob

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 16:10
Bob, the Clymene was a special ship (and owning company),
The Hadley Shipping Company if I remember correctly. I think that captain Allen was a part owner, but I am open to correction. I remember well the HSC on the funnel.

K urgess
19th May 2008, 16:38
Don't be sidetracked by our Pacific friend, Bob.
He loves to baffle us with obscure references and difficult quizzes when he isn't out gathering coconuts. A much more worthwhile occupation in my opinion. (Jester)
We have a thing about the big yellow funnel and a ship with a soul.
Regards
Kris

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 17:05
We have a thing about the big yellow funnel and a ship with a soul.
This I can well understand, as she shone even when nearing completion and was obviously a cut above most.

Bob

non descript
20th May 2008, 00:06
The Hadley Shipping Company if I remember correctly. I think that captain Allen was a part owner, but I am open to correction. I remember well the HSC on the funnel.

Bob, as far as I remember, at that time the Captain Allen was actually a Houlders employee, and as Hadleys took their crew from Houlders, it would be quite normal for him to be onboard a HSC vessel looking for quality sea-staff. - Sadly the shares in HSC are somewhat tightly controlled and your man would not have been part of the owning company. As a point of passing interest, the name Clymene was chosen not by HSC, but by the Chairman of Hawthorn Leslie, whose daughter (Elizabeth Rowell) launched the ship on 19th December 1960.
(Thumb)
Mark

non descript
20th May 2008, 00:08
This I can well understand, as she shone even when nearing completion and was obviously a cut above most.
Bob

Even the Sparkies they carried were a cut above (Jester)

Annieann
7th August 2013, 13:38
Hello

I am new to this. I am looking for my father Chris (this is the only name I have) he sailed on SS Clymene in October 1964 to Punta Carelon Venezuala and then loaded for Rotterdam. I am looking for anyone who sailed on the ship at this time who may have known a Chris or Christopher or Christian or anyone who can tell me how to get the crew list for that time. Thanks in anticipation