BRAEMAR CASTLE

Andy
24th March 2004, 21:26
Braemar Castle

Don S
15th April 2005, 16:15
Having sailed on the "Braemar Castle" from December 1957 to December 1959 I am sure the photograph is NOT the "Braemar Castle". As far as I can make out the ship looks like either the mail ships "Stirling Castle" or "Athlone Castle". I could be wrong!!

oldbosun
1st July 2005, 12:11
Having sailed on the "Braemar Castle" from December 1957 to December 1959 I am sure the photograph is NOT the "Braemar Castle". As far as I can make out the ship looks like either the mail ships "Stirling Castle" or "Athlone Castle". I could be wrong!!
(Applause)
You're right Don S. I remember Braemar Casle well. Easy to see this is not her. Braemar didnt have those sampson posts for starters. Nor that many lifeboats.

Gordon Rew
29th October 2005, 04:01
Hi, I was on the Braemar castle December 1954/5 and I have a picture of her from that time. There are two samsun posts aft. If anyone is interested let me know. I can count five lifeboats on the port side.
Gordon Rew

ruud
29th October 2005, 10:28
Ahoy Gents,

This should be the Braemar Castle,at last she is dated as that, in my passengers files;

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/8348/braemarcastle25em.th.jpg (http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=braemarcastle25em.jpg)

Gordon Rew
31st October 2005, 10:45
Hi everyone,
I uploaded a photo of the Braemar Castle into the gallery yesterday. It was scanned from a Christmas card that was sold to crew members to send home to their families. This was from the actual card which I sent home in Dec: 1954 while serving on this vessel. This might clear up any arguments as to lifeboats and samsun posts.
All the best.
Gordon Rew

Kaskazi
15th January 2007, 13:58
This is a bit of a puzzle because I don't see any images posted, despite the conversation relating to at least one. I have quite a few photos labelled Braemar. There is evidently some confusion unless my photos reflect perhaps before and after refit shots, so I will deal with that in a separate post. We travelled to UK in June/July of 1954, I think on the Rhodesia Castle, with the Braemar leapfrogging with us all the way from Mombasa to UK - Southampton I suppose, but I don't remember.

But this stern view of her at Durban is for sure because i can read the name on the stern. I like the reminder of the in-port paint crew at work on the ship at the left - which I'm afraid I can't name.

Maysboy
14th March 2007, 08:02
Rhodesia Castle was an "intermediate" ship and ran out of London. I was QM on her in 1954.